Final

Oblivious

Minho has known Taemin for quite a few years, going from simple acquaintances to friends (at least Minho considered them friends, Taemin never failed to wave back at him or answer his questions in math class). What was unexpected for him was suddenly seeing him from a different perspective after his friend Jonghyun briefly mentioned how cute Taemin was, which ended up on him basically pouring his heart out and blushing when Jonghyun laughed at him because 'finally, I thought you were blind since everyone knows you like him already'. Every time he saw Taemin he had a strong rush of wanting to hold his hand, hug him and shower him with kisses and with prom coming up, it was as if the stars were lining up for him to confess (and also to be an excuse to dance with him all night, no interruptions).

 

He asked Kibum, one of his closest friends', for help to organize what he liked to call a 'promposal': going from Minho's idea of a simple banner saying 'Will you go to prom with me?' to an elaborated dance routine from the dance team Taemin's part of, accompanied of the band club, who would perform 'Tell Him' by the Exciters (he had no idea who they were, which got him a yelling Kibum telling him how outdated he was prom-wise) and finally the soccer team would arrive wearing shirts spelling what his original banner would say, with Minho arriving to kneel after Taemin (it was a promposal after all).

 

Kibum and Minho spent a week and a half organizing it, verifying everyone did their jobs and that no one suddenly backed out or snitched to Taemin himself what was being planned for him, and as long as their knowledge went (Kai and Jinki, two of Taemin's best friends, agreed to help and inform them if he was suddenly suspicious) he remained oblivious to what was going on around him.

 

 

The day finally arrived and Kibum was just staring of Minho, who was pacing back and forth in the school backyard, quietly muttering himself until he finally had enough;

 

"Will you calm down?! Nothing bad is going to happen, we checked with everyone twice already!" Kibum yelled at Minho, who was staring at him wide eyed from his sudden outburst.

 

"What do you mean 'Nothing bad is going to happen'? What if he rejects me? Oh my god— the entire school is going to see me get rejected," Minho said dramatically while holding his head in his hands, and Kibum would have laughed if it wasn't for his friends' anxious state, "Didn't the newspaper club say they were going to take pictures? Doesn't half the school already know? My rejection is going to be forever documented on the Internet, what am I going to—"

 

A strong stinging pain in his head suddenly interrupted his speech, along with two eyes staring at him full of anger,

 

"Ow—What the hell Kibum!"

 

"You listen to me Choi Minho. Taemin is not going to reject you, have you seen how far you've gone with this promposal? How much you care about him? You've been so busy focusing on the wrong things you don't even notice how Taemin smiles at you when you talk to him and blushes right afterwards!” Kibum declared impatiently, “Did you know that he has rejected every single person who has asked him to prom, but when asked if he's bringing a date he said 'the person that I want to go with hasn't asked me yet'? Do you hear this? Now, lunch is almost ready, go look for Taemin and do everyone a favor and start dating, no one can take the sparkly eyes you both do at each other any longer!"

 

Minho looked at Kibum who was currently breathing hard and practically shooting lasers with his eyes at him, before hugging him and whispering a small 'thank you' before scurrying off to find Taemin, Kibum looking at him with a small smile on his lips, his frustration dissipating.

 

 

Taemin didn't really understand why his friends suddenly ditched him with the blatantly fake excuse 'we have a meeting with the student council!' but he was enjoying this rare quiet occasion with reading until being cut off by two hands covering his eyes.

 

"Guess who?" a deep voice said right next to his ear, and Taemin couldn't help the smile that spread on his face and small blush on his cheeks since his crush was talking to him.

 

"Minho! You scared me!" He whined but laughed right afterwards because 'wow he's so close and smiling at me he looks even more handsome'.

 

"Sorry," Minho sheepishly said while scratching the back of his head, "I was just thinking that since we have next period together, we could go, you know, together?" he asked, and Taemin wasn't sure if it was a question or not, but he wasn't about to refuse. He took his backpack from the floor and got up, following a smiling Minho to the door, talking about the math homework neither of them did while walking down the hallway, when they were suddenly stopped by a loud whistle and bursting of the doors with the dance team entering the hall while doing an upbeat choreography, followed by the band club holding drums and trumpets.

 

At this point, Taemin was so confused about this sudden turn of events when he realized they were looking at him, and 'oh no, this is another promposal' but when he turned his back to leave, he was turned right back around by the soccer team hollering and doing an attempt of the same choreography as the dance team.

 

He quickly got closer to Minho, which made him blush more than the chaos going on right in front of him, and told him over the loud cheering:

 

"This is probably the most ridiculous way to ask someone to prom...I hope the person already knows I’m going to say no." He let out a small laugh at his statement but it was all gone when he looked at Minho to see his reaction.

 

Minho looked like a kicked puppy, face so crestfallen that it would make anyone sad the second they saw him.

 

“So…you won’t go to prom with me?” Minho muttered quietly, looking at him with sad eyes.

 

“What— Minho, this is yours? You planned this?” Taemin loudly asked him while gaping at him, making all heads turn over to them.

 

“Yes, I just thought you liked me back, but I guessed wrong. It’s okay, I hope you can go with the person you wanted to go with, don’t worry—“

 

He was suddenly cut off by a bone-crushing hug that pushed him so hard he had to stable himself not to fall and blonde hair blocking his view, looking down to find a distressed Taemin looking everywhere but at him apologizing over and over.

 

“I’m sorry Minho, really sorry—I didn’t know this was from you, please don’t think I like someone else, it’s you I was actually waiting for,” he confessed, feeling a blush crawl up his neck, “This promposal is just really…not you. I’d actually love to go to prom with you, if you’d still like to go with me after what I said…”.

 

Hearing no answer, Taemin slowly detangled himself from Minho, regretting over and him in his mind saying that comment, forever being the cause of his unhappiness now.

 

A strong hold on his wrists held him back, looking up to find Minho smiling at him before saying the words he dreadfully wanted to hear;

 

“I’d love to.”

 


 

I said it was 'short' but this is actually my longest fic yet; I really need to up my fluff level bc this is like 30% and i'm sorry, soon i'll write one that will make everyone cringe. see u soon!!  (I proof-read it once so I'm sorry if there are any grammar or any other kind of mistakes, also sorry again if there are a lot of repetitions, ill fix this soon)