final

Love Recipe

A love recipe was slipped in LuHan’s locker one afternoon. He was pleased to have it especially that his relationship with Kim Jongin, his co-worker in a Japanese restaurant and the boy he likes for two years, was not progressing. Hopeless, he decided to give it a shot. The love recipe was a timely gift for Valentines Day. Whoever gave it to him was a blessing in disguise.

5 days before Valentines Day

First step: Gather three petals of red roses (in a park) and keep them in a bottle.

LuHan folded the paper and hid it in his pocket. He excused himself from the counter, telling his boss that he needed to pick up something for a friend. Old Minseok let him be, knowing that LuHan has been working hard in the food shop for the past few weeks. A little time to do his own errand won’t hurt.

LuHan strolled along the nearby park to get the first ingredient for his love potion. When he spotted an array of fresh roses, he immediately picked one stalk without being cautious about the thorns, hurting himself in the process. He winced, throwing away the flower on the ground. “Stupid!” he grumbled. While he was preoccupied with cleaning the small wound in his finger, he bumped into someone. “Sorry!” LuHan exclaimed and bowed apologetically.

“Lu.”

The moment he came face to face with the person he ran into, LuHan’s ears blew imaginary smoke. His cheeks turned bright red. “Oh!” LuHan chirped a little too obvious. “It’s you! What are you doing here, Jongin?”

“Just…walking around, trying to get some fresh air. I asked Boss Min if I could take a break and he said yes. He let others have a five-minute break as well since we don’t really have a lot of customers today.”

“Ah. I see,” LuHan nodded in mutual understanding. He looked away and focused his eyes on the kids playing in the monkey bars.

“I thought you are going to pick up something for a friend.”

LuHan panicked, “Oh that! I, I already did it.” He cracked in an awkward laughter while rubbing his nose. Jongin smiled at this, “Do you want to sit down for a while? I can get us some coolers over there.” He pointed at the stall across the park.

LuHan wanted to explode in happiness. It was the first time Jongin invited him to a drink. He nodded his head weakly, afraid to appear so desperate. Jongin returned, carrying to chocolate shake. LuHan was surprised that Jongin picked that flavor. He knew about Jongin’s fondness with mint so he didn’t expect the latter to get a different flavor, moreover his favorite.

“Hm. This tastes good!” Jongin commented after taking a sip. LuHan was staring at him like an idiot, gawking at how Jongin’s lips curl. Sensing LuHan’s scrutinizing eyes, he turned to the other guy and smiled.

Oh boy,” LuHan thought while squealing inwardly.

“What do you need that rose for?” asked Jongin all of a sudden. LuHan quickly averted his eyes from the man and thought of an excuse. “I just thought…it’s beautiful so I got one for myself.”

“I agree. It is beautiful and it suits you.”

LuHan gulped and forced a laugh. For the rest of their time together, Jongin asked LuHan about himself which the latter shyly narrated. Gradually, lovesick Lu felt more comfortable talking to his crush. A few moments later, they returned to the shop with LuHan smiling was from ear to ear.

-

4 days before Valentines Day

Second step: Buy strawberry syrup and mix it with the petals of roses.

“Okay!” LuHan rolled out of bed and put on his casual clothes. It was Sunday and he was having a day off from work. With much eagerness, he went to a nearby mall and searched for the second ingredient.

On his way out of the mall, he ran into his crush again. How lucky! Jongin was carrying bags of grocery items. He was on his way to his car when he saw LuHan staring at him across the road. He put down the bags and waved at him. LuHan swore his heart went hysterical. He looked from left to right before he crossed the road to meet with Jongin. “Hello!” he chirped.

“Hey! Good to see you here. Did you buy anything?”

“Uhm y-yeah. For my aunt,” LuHan lied.

“Oh. Okay. I just went grocery shopping. Should I take you home?”

“Wha- Oh it’s fine, it’s fine! I just live nearby. It would take me five minutes to reach my apartment.”

“You live nearby? Where?” Jongin persisted. “We have been co-workers for years now but I haven’t really visited your place.”

LuHan’s ears were burning. The thought of Jongin dropping by to his apartment was too much for him to handle. His heart was beating wildly. “D-do you want to drop by?” he asked nervously.

Jongin’s face turned so serious all of a sudden. He heaved a sigh and looked at LuHan intently, “Is it okay with you?”

“Uh yes. But I have to say, I haven’t cleaned my space. It might get a little uncomfortable to you.”

“I don’t mind,” Jongin assured him.

“What about your groceries?”

“I can put it here in the car and go home afterwards. I don’t have anything to do so I might as well spend time with you.”

LuHan smiled at him but deep inside he was dying.

After the five-minute walk, they arrived at LuHan’s apartment. It was a small space but contrary to what LuHan said, it was clean. “Mine is worse,” admitted Jongin when he sat on the couch.

LuHan was fidgeting, “Do you want something to drink?”

“Soda is fine with me. Do you have one?”

LuHan nodded and excused himself. In the kitchen, he was patting his chest to calm his heart. Jongin was there in his apartment. Only the two of them. LuHan wanted to curl up in a ball and snuggle with him. If only this moment will last forever. When LuHan joined Jongin in the couch, the latter talked about the happenings in the restaurant a few days ago. There was an accident in the kitchen when one of their co-workers, Yixing, burned the special pasta for the guest. He ended up apologizing to the woman who luckily, accepted it and ordered another serving. Jongin was fun to talk to. He was very animated and LuHan could listen to him for hours.

They did talk for a good two hours until someone called Jongin and interrupted their conversation. The guy finally bid goodbye and told LuHan he had a good time.

“See you at work, Lu,” he said while waving goodbye. LuHan could only smile dreamily at him.

-

3 days before Valentines Day

Third step: Add a pinch of sugar to the mixture.

“Ah, that’s easy,” murmured LuHan. He secretly went to the shop’s pantry and grabbed the bottle of sugar. After he added it to the mixture, he quickly hid it in his pocket and left. When he opened the door, Jongin’s surprise face greeted him.

“Lu, what are you doing here?” he questioned.

“Just picked up something,” LuHan replied, about to take his leave when Jongin asked him for help. “I need to find these ingredients. Can you help me out?”

LuHan looked around. Seeing that no one was there to help Jongin but himself, he agreed.

“Oh no! I think I lost the list!”

“Really?”

“Y-yeah. I’m sorry, Lu. I’ll search for it on the counter.”

When Jongin tried opening the door, ‘bad’ luck bestowed upon them. They got locked. “We’re doomed.”

After screaming and knocking the door, LuHan and Jongin gave up. They sat on the floor, panting.

“I’m sorry. This is my fault. I dragged you here.”

LuHan shook his head, “No. It’s not. This is an accident. It’s inevitable. We’re going to be fine, Jongin.”

“Hm.”

Silence stretched between them. With LuHan feeling anxious with Jongin so close to him, he focused his attention on the can opener lying in the corner. He played with it to ease away the tension. He was unaware that all those times, Jongin was gazing at him. He missed to see the man he likes the most admiring him silently. Without a word, Jongin leaned closer and wiped away the dust on LuHan’s cheek. The latter froze and held his breath at the contact. Jongin was about to say something when the door was slammed open. Yixing and Minseok dashed inside and helped them out, thinking of themselves as rescuers.

LuHan thanked them but deep inside, he wished he and Jongin were locked in the pantry a little longer. Maybe he found the courage to finally confess to the boy.

-

2 days before Valentines Day

The restaurant was jam-packed two days before Hearts Day. LuHan and the crew were busy accommodating the guests. He was troubled because needed to find the fourth ingredient: orange pulp. After a hard day of work, he finally got a break at around 3 in the afternoon. He hurriedly went to the nearby fruit stand and bought an orange. He was a few steps away from the shop when he spotted Jongin eating the same fruit. He appeared to be waiting for someone at the doorway.

“You’re back,” he greeted LuHan. “Want some orange?”

“Uh no it’s fine. I bought one. Thank you, Jongin.”

“Oh. I see,” said Jongin, smiling wide. “Come on, let’s head inside and join the rest.”

LuHan nodded, blushing, while trailing behind him.

-

A day before Valentines Day

The big day! With all the ingredient mixed, you are ready to get the love of your life! Meet the person tonight at 7 in a park and let him drink the potion.

LuHan was nervous. How could he possibly do it without giving away himself? He already asked Jongin at work to meet him that night. It was a miracle he was able to ask him that and Jongin said yes to him. He was rummaging through his closet for a “nice” set of clothes to wear. It would probably be cold outside so he will need a cardigan. He pulled out a beret and a pair of skinny jeans. “I hope this will work,” he whispered to himself. He put on the garments and flopped down on his bed. He thought about his plan and its consequences. What if he fails? He was trying to fool Jongin by making him drink a love potion. It was practically cheating. LuHan heaved a sigh. He was now uncertain.

It was quarter to seven when his phone rang. It was Jongin. LuHan picked up at once.

“Hello, Jongin.”

“Lu. I’m already here at the park.”

“What? Why? You’re early.”

“Haha! Guess I’m just excited.”

LuHan swallowed the lump on his throat. He was speechless. As he struggled to find the right words to say, Jongin spoke, “Can you meet me now, Lu? I can’t wait to see you.” His voice was oozing with sincerity that LuHan melt on the spot. “Uhm, okay. I’m c-coming.”

“Hm. Be careful on your way, LuHan.”

“Yeah. See you.”

With that, LuHan ended the call. He lost his composure and squealed before running towards the door. Jongin was giving him so much hope and LuHan couldn’t help but feel optimistic.

-

LuHan walked by a lighted area in the park. There were hanging lamps with different colors that served decoration to a special event; a surprise date most probably. LuHan could imagine a couple sharing a kiss under the bright lights. He could not help but feel envious. If only he and Jongin are dating, it would be a dream come true.  LuHan looked around, searching for Jongin. He was calling him but the latter was not picking up.

While waiting, LuHan bought two chocolate drinks for them. Despite the guilt, he forced himself to add the potion to Jongin’s drink. He was contemplating about his actions but his eagerness to be with the latter won. Minutes passed but Jongin was still out of nowhere. Worried, LuHan sent him a message. He sat on one of the benches and hoped Jongin would finally appear.

He was getting anxious without the latter’s presence. That was until a hand touched his shoulder. LuHan turned his head sharply and found Jongin behind him, holding a bouquet of roses.

“For you,” Jongin said, handing the flowers to LuHan. The redness crept on the latter’s face. He whispered a soft “thank you” and asked Jongin to sit. “This is it,” he thought. He had to give the drink to Jongin now or his dream of having the man as his lover would go down the drain. LuHan hated himself for it but he pursued. Jongin accepted the drink and thanked him. His lips formed a little smile, ready to take a sip when a change of heart pushed LuHan to stop him.

“I can’t do it,” LuHan stated, throwing away the drink. It spilled messily on the ground. Water formed in the corners of his eyes as he sobbed, “I don’t know what I was thinking! I was about to let you drink a love potion so you would see me as someone special! I hate myself, Jongin! I am stupid! What if you’ll get poisoned because of my stupid mixture?! I should think about you, too. I am so stupid.”

Jongin stared at LuHan wiping away the tears in his eyes.

“I saw this note about a love potion and I thought I’d use it so…so you will…love me. I’m stupid! I lied to you!“

Jongin’s arms moved in a speed of light, pulling LuHan into a hug.

“I’m sorry, Jongin,” LuHan cried. “I just can’t make myself to confess to you. I was afraid you would reject me and we can’t be friends anymore. I thought it would end up badly so I resort in this stupid love potion. I’m such a kid.”

“Lu. Listen to me. It’s not just you,” Jongin whispered. He cradled LuHan’s face and brushed his thumbs on the latter’s cheeks. “I have something to tell you. I lied as well.”

LuHan stifled a cry and looked up to the other. Jongin was staring at him straight in the eyes as he explained, “The note. I was the one who put it in your locker.”

The boy gasped slightly.

“I was the one who wrote that “stupid” recipe. Why? Because I am a coward. Because like you, I couldn’t bring myself to confess my feelings.”

“What are you trying to say, Jongin?”

“I have loved you for years,” Jongin muttered. “I have been holding this feeling for a long time. I wrote the love recipe to confirm your feelings for me. I specifically thought of ways for us to spend more time together that’s why I wrote those steps and put in the ingredients. You found them at places where I was secretly waiting for you. I was following you all those times, Lu; to spend time with you. I don’t care about the love potion anymore. All I want now is to be able to express my feelings. This is all my idea and I am sorry if troubled you. Please know that my feelings are real. It has always been genuine because I love you.”

LuHan couldn’t believe his ear. Jongin loves him, too. He doesn’t need a love potion to be with Jongin. His dream was becoming a reality.

“Will you forgive me, Lu? Will you accept me?” asks Jongin.

“What are you saying? Of couse I will! I love you so much! No way I’m going to let you go now!” LuHan exclaimed before pulling Jongin into a passionate kiss. Their lip-lock turned intense so quick. They were lucky enough to have settled in the darkest part of the park where no can see them easily. Their lips were blending naturally. Jongin moved lower and inhaled LuHan’s sweet scent. He showered wet kisses on LuHan’s neck, holding the latter by his waist. They were softly against each other’s skin. LuHan was the one who broke off the kiss, panting. “Are you sure? I mean we just confessed to each other. Aren't we going too fast?”

Jongin kissed his cheek and whispered seductively, “We were fools to have waited for a long time before we man up and confess to each other. Now that you are here in my arms, I don’t think we should waste any more time before I show you how much you mean to me. Please, Lu. Let me love you.”

LuHan’s heart swelled in happiness. He circled his arms around Jongin’s neck and nodded. “You're right. I am not the one to say no."

Jongin hummed approvingly, carrying the younger one like a princess. The latter giggled and gestured his boyfriend to leave the park, “Off to my apartment we go!”

 

-

 

A|n: Share your thoughts. Thank U!