one

Of scowls and mockery

“He changed his number!” exclaimed Doojoon, furious hand gestures and all. “He freaking changed his number! What like I’m going to stalk and obsess over him! He’s not that special, you know. He isn’t the only Kim Junsu in the world! Just in Gangnam alone, there are four other Kim Junsus!”

Yoseob, because they’ve only just met, tries not to laugh. He fails miserably and Doojoon scowls at him.

“You think I’m pathetic too, huh?” came Doojoon’s accusation “Why does everyone think that way about me? Is it pathetic to fall in love? Is it pathetic to meet someone and find yourself smiling at all the normal things they do and find them simply breath-taking? Is it pathetic to devote your whole heart to someone only to have it broken into several million pieces at some point in time?”

Yoseob shakes his head no, still laughing.

“Then stop mocking me with your laugh!” demands Doojoon, pulling his own hair out in frustration. He sighs and lets his face meet the table’s surface. He hears Yoseob mumble an apology between his laughter.  

“I think you’re pretty admirable, actually” Yoseob says after a minute or two of battling his own laughter.

“Stop mocking me, I’m miserable enough as it is”, Doojoon says lifting his face off the table to give Yoseob a scowl.

“I’m not” Yoseob insists, “I really do think that way. I think people who chooses to always believe in love are admirable. Even if they end up being miserable and get their hearts bruised and beaten like you.”

Doojoon blinks once, then thrice, because was that an insult or a compliment. He isn’t sure so he asks, “Was that an insult of a compliment?”

Again Yoseob laughs, and it kinds of annoys Doojoon because how many times must this stranger laugh at him?

“It’s a compliment” Yoseob answers him, whose laughter somehow ended up morphing into a big wide smile which almost looks genuine.

And oh, Doojoon thought, that’s a pretty nice smile. He finds himself smiling back unconsciously. Yoseob was polite enough to point it out,”Hey, you’re smiling!”

Doojoon immediately replaced it with a scowl. He can’t afford to smile yet, it’s too soon, his love just died. He lets his face fall miserably back on the table’s surface.

Dongwoon returns just in time to witness Yoseob fall back in a laughing fit. He shakes his head, insincerely, he comforts his hyung in a monotonous tone “That idiot’s going to regret ever leaving you. You’ll meet someone better”. He then turns to Yoseob and makes a small conversation involving french fries and potatoes.

--

“Oh hey, it’s you!” Doojoon hears someone say. At first he didn’t think it was for him but the light tap on his shoulder convinced him otherwise. He turns to look behind him and finds a guy staring at him. Button nose. Chubby cheeks.  He wasn’t really sure who the guy was at first but “Hey, remember me? Yoseob. Last week, same table, you just got dumped” and a smile was all it took to jog his memory.

Doojoon remembers that smile so he says, “You’re the guy who keeps mocking me, I remember”. His attempt to act cool and nonchalant.

“Fancy meeting you again” Yoseob says, his smile ever-present “I know I shouldn’t ask you this, but the shops full again. Mind if I take a seat?”  

Doojoon just nods, because he can’t really say no--it’s not like he owns the shop, and because who can say no to that smile?

“So how’s your quest for love going” Yoseob asks, taking a seat and deciding to make small conversation while he wait for his order.

Doojoon scowls at that. “Good, not that you have any business with it” he says through gritted teeth. Bitter at the thought of his last relationship. Yoseob laughs at him again, and Doojoon finds himself asking the same question—how many times must Yoseob laugh at him?

“I’m just trying to make a small conversation” Yoseob says “there’s no need to be mad”

“People usually talk about the weather for small conversations, not make fun of people’s love life” Doojoon says, again through scowls and gritted teeth.

“Touché”, Yoseob agrees, “So how’s the weather?”

“Great, perfectly great” came Doojoon’s monotonous answer.

 ”You do know that this shop’s full because it’s raining hard outside and people don’t want to get  drenched and risk getting sick, right?”

Doojoon doesn’t of course, he decides to lie and say “of course” anyway. But the sudden warmth on his face and neck betrays him.

Yoseob's laughter turns hysteric, finding Doojoon's tomato colored face unfitting and quite amusing.

--

“Mind if I seat with you” came a request from behind him. He turns to see a familiar face. Chubby cheeks. Button nose. Annoyingly cute smile.

“The shop’s not full today though” he says, matter of factly, just because.

Still smiling, Yoseob says “I know, I just thought it’d be nice to seat with someone I know”.

Doojoon doesn’t have a respond for that, so he nods and gestures to the seat across him.

Yoseob happily does so. Cute, Doojoon thinks yet refuses to admit.  He pretends to busy himself by playing with his phone. Only to be distracted by Yoseob’s voice.

“Didn’t you have a friend with you the first time we met? Dongwol?”

Doojoon laughs at the name, he’s sure Dongwoon will be furious if he hears it. He shakes his head and the laughter off. “It’s Dongwoon and make sure you won’t get his name wrong if you ever meet him again, he’s got a ridiculous name issue”.

“Oh” says Yoseob, nodding once or thrice. He made a mental note to not get Dongwoon’s name wrong.  After all, based on their interesting conversation last time, the guy seemed nice. Despite the obvious obsession with potatoes and french fries.

“Why do you ask, anyway?” Doojoon questions.

“Just making conversation” Yoseob shrugs, “he’s got a potato by the way, did you know that?”

“One of his many flaws” Doojoon laughs “but he’s a cool friend”

 Yoseob agreed and laughs along with him. He can’t help but notice the absence of a scowl in their conversation today, so he points it out. “You’re not scowling today”

Doojoon shrugs, one of his many ways to attempt and look nonchalant, “Today’s my non-scowling day, so…”

“That’s great, I like your face better without the scowl”, Yoseob beams widely at him.

Doojoon gave an embarrassed cough. He suddenly finds the floor interesting.

---

“Can someone tell me what we’re doing here on this perfectly perfect Sunday afternoon instead of being out on the field and playing soccer?” Kikwang asks, looking at his friends for an answer.

Dongwoon just shrugs at him. Junhyung merely rolls his eyes at him. Doojoon sighs, “I told you, I’m just in the mood for coffee”.

Kikwang, because he’s Kikwang, politely points out that there’s a coffee shop near their practice field “Why can’t we get coffee there?”

Doojoon would’ve answered how it’s because he’s in the mood for coffee in the coffee shop their currently in and not the coffee they serve at the coffee shop in front of their practice field, but a familiar voice greeting “hey” has already taken Kikwang’s, and everyone else’s, attention away from him.

“I remember you” Dongwoon announced happily, “You’re from last time!”

“Hey Dongwoon”

“You remembered me!” Dongwoon grew happier.

“Hey, don’t ignore me and call me by my name too. You’re not being polite, you know” says Kikwang, a pout sitting perfectly on his lips.

Yoseob blinks, not really sure how to respond.

“You idiot” says Junhyung, landing a not so soft smack on the back of Kikwang’s head “He’s only met you today, he doesn’t know you yet”

Junhyung makes Kikwang apologize for his weirdness.

Doojoon, because he can’t bear to watch his friends anymore, makes a quick awkward introduction for Yoseob.  “Everyone meet Yoseob. Yoseob meet everyone. That’s Dongwoon, the guy with the weird thing for potatoes, you’ve met him already. The guy with the seemingly fixed frown is Junhyung. The guy who looks like he doesn’t know anything is Kikwang.”

Dongwoon, Junhyung and Kikwang groans at the introduction.

Everyone awkwardly waves at each other. But only for a few quick seconds because “I’m actually done with my coffee and on my way out, I just came by to say hello. It’s nice to meet everyone” Yoseob turns away from the group with his ever-present smile.  Much to Doojoon’s disappointment, though he doesn’t want to admit it.

“Well” he hears Junhyung say “there’s your answer Kikwang”

Kikwang blinks once, then thrice “answer to what?”

“Why we’re sitting inside this coffee shop instead of being out on the practice field with you two” he points at Kikwang and Doojoon “sweating your gross bodies out and me and Dongwoon draining our phone’s batteries out with online games”

Kikwang says “oh” and nothing else, which means he’s still confused. Junhyung rolls his eyes then sighs, “Our good friend’s found love again”.

Kikwang exclaims an “ah”, which means he gets it now. Dongwoon whistles proudly, “I knew he’d find his next love in a week or three”.

“I’m not in love” came Doojoon’s adamant denial, sounding very much like an in denial high schooler. “What do you know about love, anyway? All you do is drink coffee and curse”

Kikwang and Dongwoon laughs at that.

Junhyung merely shrugs, “I don’t need to know anything about love. I only need to be familiar with how you behave when you to start to think you’re in love with someone…like, stalking someone on a coffee shop for example”

Doojoon says nothing after that. He silently cursed Junhyung for being right, as always.

--

“Hey” greets a voice from behind him. Doojoon turns around to see a familiar face. Button nose. Chubby cheeks.

“You’re late” Doojoon says and points at the seat across him.

Yoseob smiles and makes his way towards the seat. “Sorry, I had no idea we had a date today”. A laugh.

Something which Doojoon finds breath-taking. He puts on a fake scowl and shakes his head, “This isn’t a date”

Yoseob frowns, “I know that Mr. I-can’t-take-a-harmless-joke” he crosses his arms and decides to look at anywhere that’s not Doojoon.   

Doojoon smiles at Yoseob’s reaction. “Sorry, I take my dates very seriously.”

“Yeah, yeah, you and your conviction of love and relationships” Yoseob says still frowning.

Doojoon, suppressing the smile that won’t seem to leave his face, clears his throat twice before calling out, “Yoseob-ah”.

Yoseob turns towards him, surprised, Doojoon’s never called him by his name before.

Doojoon clears his throat one more time before finally asking, “Yoseobie, would you like to meet outside this coffee shop?”

“Yoseobie?Meet outside? Like a date?” Yoseob asks, dumbfounded.

Doojoon nods, “with movies, long walks and dinner and stuff”

Yoseob makes a face of disgust. Doojoon is confused.

“But I don’t like long walks, can’t we rent a bike or something” says Yoseob smiling.

“Sure, we can even rent a yacht if you want. So what do you say, want to go out with me?” Doojoon asks. Hopeful eyes. Childish grin.

Yoseob’s smile grew wider, “I’ve been waiting for you to ask me that since forever. Sure, I would love to go out with you”

Doojoon suppresses his smile again, “I can’t help but feel we’re being too rash, too unadvised, and too sudden”.  

Yoseob playfully, yet not very lightly, hits his arm. “Just because I said I’d go out with you doesn’t mean you can just go around quoting Shakespeare”

Doojoon, not really minding the pain, smiles an apology. “What do we do now?” weird eyebrow wiggling and all.

Yoseob looks at him strangely,” I don’t know we can try to make out and take each other’s breath away or something”.

Doojoon’s mouth opened in shock. Yoseob laughs hysterically, “I was only kidding…unless you want to”.

.

.

.

a/n: This ended up being weird… on another note I cant decide if I feel too cold or too hot *cries*