fin

Skepticism and Soulmates

Okay, so like, who got to decide that winter is a thing?

Jimin curses that person, that evil little satan who came up with this idea of cold weather, ice and snow covering the streets, and all of that - like really, is this neccessary? Is it?

No, Jimin thinks to himself, throwing on a thick coated sweater over his torso to go along with his black jeans, it is not necessary. Like, at all. Mother nature can take this elsewhere, or else Jimin's going to fight this nonexistent human. And he'll win, too. He has like, 85.9 percent chances, the odds are in his favor.

Anyway, so Jimin is changing, his phone sitting on the side table, buzzing from Taehyung's insistent chatter, bugging Jimin for being late because apparently 'it's not good to be late on the first day of the school year. Get your together, ChimChim, or else I'm going without you. I'll give ya five.'

Jimin hates his best friend sometimes. With a passion. He may have the fiery red flicker of Taehyung's fingerprint on his right shoulder, deeming the other as his 'platonic soulmate', and Taehyung might have an identical fingerprint of Jimin's on his left shoudler, but come on.

Sometimes Taehyung makes Jimin want to pull his hair out - but he won't, because his hair is valuable to him, adds onto this whole 'innocent and cute' look that Jimin has going on. He's totally pulling it off, he can bet anything, guaranteed.

Rushing around, he grabs his phone, pushes his shoes onto his feet, and stands, ready to go. He's got this down. No need to panic, Taehyung, young one.

Jimin's nearly out of the door when he realizes that he forgot his bookbag sitting on the couch. You know, he might need that, oddly enough. It's not like he's going to school, or anything.

(But he actually is, and Jimin doesn't think that his teachers will appreciate him not bringing his materials for the first day.)

So he hurries back into the dorm, maneuvering himself through Taehyung's weird various items thrown about on the floor (Jimin has learned not to ask), and grabs his bookbag, then hurries back down the stairs, and back out of the door.

Jimin continues to curse the weather, his teeth chattering as he walks across the side walk, his shoes getting covered with snow and mush - seriously, why? Jimin can go his whole life without feeling like he's going to freeze to death, thank you very much.

Taehyung is heard before he is seen, and Jimin sighs quietly, shaking his head at his best friend. High School Musical? Really, Taehyung?

"Tae, I think that you can be quiet now," Jimin says, placing himself beside the other at the bus stop. There's been many times that Jimin wishes that he had a driver's license (aka now), as standing out here in negative degree wheather, waiting for a bus to come that won't be that much warmer inside, is not a great time for him.

Or Taehyung, either, the way that his breath is seeping out of his mouth, little anxious bounces on the tips of his toes getting more and more insistent as the time progressed.

Aaaaand still no bus.

Nada.

Really?

Really.

Jimin isn't even surprised. Not in the slightest.

The one time that he gets here nearly late, and he's still early.

So they continue to stand there for an extra five minutes, then rush onto the platform, sinking into the seats near the front of the bus.

They arrive at the school nearly fifteen minutes later, the clock ticking, counting down the moments from their deaths - which, granted, Jimin assumes that he's exaggerating a bit. Not their deaths, no, but their 'incovenient disciplinary efforts' followed with 'a beneficial detention would suffice,' coming from his teacher, which is basically the same thing as death, in Jimin's opinion.

But alas, these are the first words that he hears when he walks into the Mathematics room (and Jimin's at maths, for one - because why the are letters and shapes associated with maths in the first place?)

He had rushed away from Taehyung, a quick sounded 'bye' being said over his shoulder, watching as the boy with the boxy smile walked away in the other direction, coursing down the hallway, throwing a wave behind him.

And now back to Jimin's current perdicument. The teacher is looking at him, a slight glare on their face, and the other students are snickering quietly. Jimin has the decency to blush, then mumble a quick apology, but despite his best efforts, Jimin still gets the speech - you know, the one that he was talking about earlier, yeah, that one - and a detention for after school today, tomorrow, and for the rest of the week.

Great.

Fantastic.

What could be better?

Jimin has never gotten a detention before. What if it's terrible? What if he gets beaten to a pulp? What if, like, his reputation is ruined forever, and he never makes new friends? I mean, he always has Taehyung, but they're soul bound, they have to stay together. Right?

Okay, so maybe Jimin is overthinking this.

Possibly.

He still refuses the idea of him being a drama queen. (Pinned by drama queen Taehyung himself, which really says something).

Jimin groans internally, sitting down at his desk quietly, putting his books beside him, nodding at the teacher's order.

And so the next hour is spent with equations that make his head hurt, and suddenly even a detention sounds better than being in this class for any longer.

Thankfully, the bell rings shortly after, and Jimin feels like his mind is mentally drained, and it's only first period.

Jimin is still internally groaning, but gets up, and carries on with the rest of his classes for the day.

~

Out of all the ways that Jimin imagined meeting his other soulmate, he didn't think about the place that he would meet them at.

He imagined what they would look like, how they would act, what they'd like, what the two would have in common - but for some reason, a place just did not come to mind.

So, he supposes, sitting right behind the other in a dimly lit detention room in the back of the high school, that this is okay, this is nice.

He can deal with this.

When Jimin had first seen him, the other male had been looking out the window, his carmalized hair peeking at the ends, lidded eyes falling every now and then, loose fitting sweatshirt pulled over his hands in those little sweater paws that Jimin absolutely loves -

And Jimin swears his heart stops. His soulmate is so georgous, both of them are, and Jimin can instantly tell that he'll love him just as much as he loves Taehyung. But in a different, more loving, boyfriend kind of relationship way, obviously.

Jimin can feel the slight burn on his mid calf, his tattoo flashing a turquise blue shade beneath his jeans, and he feels like the breath has been knocked out of him.

The feeling is replaced with a cooling sensation when his soulmate looks up at him and they lock eyes, the other seeming to have a shocked look on his face for a moment, then one of recognition, adoration.

Jimin's not sure what to think. He should introduce himself, but it's a detention room and they have, like, people there watching his every move and sound - so no, that might not be that great of an idea at the moment.

He does the obvious solution, sending a small smile in the other boy's way before Jimin sits down behind him, pulling out his phone, sending a text to Taehyung.

You: So like, I think I just met my other soulmate???

The reply comes quickly, and Jimin rolls his eyes; isn't Taehyung supposed to be at debate club, or something?

TaeTae: holy !!!! what's he like? what'd he say? is he good for you??? details, Jiminnie, details!!

Jimin tugs his eyes from the phone, looking straight in front of him at the other boy, and bites his lip.

You: I haven't actually introduced myself yet? Like, we're at detention, and yeah. I'll explain more later

TaeTae: you better!! and introduce yourself! you don't know when you'll see him again!!!

Point taken.

Just, not right at this moment.

Timing makes perfect.

(Jimin is still groaning internally. Why does he have to wait to introduce himself to his soulmate? Shouldn't they be running into each other's arms and riding off into the sunset, into eternal happiness? Jimin isn't getting the memo that he's been told of, so he's a bit dissappointed, to be honest. But the other is still here, and even though Jimin hasn't officially met him yet, he knows that the wait will be worth it).

~

You know what, stratch that.

Jimin doesn't want to say it, but god, his soulmate is a bit of an , if he's to be completely honest.

When they left the school, Jimin trailed close behind the other, seemingly older guy, his soulmate not even sparing him a second glance as Jimin looked forward at him. And like, rude? A person should at least look at their soulmate when they meet them? Jimin's pretty sure that that's how it goes.

(Not that he's talking from experience. Taehyung had ran up to him, age nine, and had tackled Jimin to the ground, causing the shorter (always the shorter) one to breathe sharply in pain, his right shoulder burning (why was meeting someone so painful, why) and a panicked looking alien stared down at him, excitedly stating his name, school, favorite band, favorite color - anything and everything he could think to ramble to his platonic soulmate.

Jimin hasn't been able to get rid of the alien looking odd ball since.)

But man, this guy just will not budge. He hasn't responded to any of Jimin's questions (just the simple ones like his name, why he was at detention on the first day of school, why he won't just look at Jimin), and honestly, Jimin is starting to run out of ideas.

Jimin was so sure that he'd seen a happy look on the other's face earlier, when they first saw each other. He wanted it to be automatic, something that came naturally to the both of them - but sometimes, Jimin knows, it doesn't turn out that way.

Always his luck.

And Jimin doesn't even know his name, for s sake. Seriously, how did he get stuck with someone who didn't even want to talk to him?

The universe's way of laughing at him is infallible.

Just when the other looks like he's going to bolt, Jimin knows he has to actually do something. Physically. Because his soulmate obviously isn't actually listening to him, and like.
Jimin kind of wants to keep his soulmate with him, so. Plan B.

"Hey, no! Stay, talk to me."

Jimin latches himself onto the other's arm, which is effective, from the way that the other stiffens and unlatches Jimin from himself carefully and quickly. Jimin hadn't wanted to make the other uncomfortable, he just wanted him to say something.

Which may or may not be working.

Okay, so now his soulmate is looking at him, which is something. The look in his eyes is odd, like a mixture of emotions that Jimin's not quite sure he wants to find out.

"Please. What's your name?"

The guy opens his mouth to say something, and Jimin cheers (in his mind, that is.) Progress.

"Yoongi."

Yoongi.

Jimin grins, swearing that he's never heard a name so beautiful.

His soulmate's name is Yoongi, he has caramel colored hair, deep chocolate brown eyes, a cute, comforting sounding dialect -

"I'm sorry. You caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting..."

Yoongi looks like he wants to say something else, and Jimin is about to say that Yoongi can share whatever he may like to with him, but Yoongi cuts in again before Jimin can get his words out.

"I'm kind of... skeptical of soulmates? I mean."

His soulmate is great with words, Jimin decides. So eloquent and .

Yoongi will fit Jimin well.

"You don't have to be skeptical with me. We're soulmates, there's a reason for that. Can't we try it out? See where it goes?"

(AKA Jimin's not letting Yoongi go anywhere until they've talked some of this out, and Yoongi gives Jimin his phone number. It's not everyday that you meet your soulmate, he needs to make sure this goes well).

Yoongi huffs a little bit, and Jimin gets the feeling that his other half is as stubborn as a mule.

Of all of the people to be stuck with, and Jimin gets an alien that has no sense of discomfort or personal space with anyone, and a Yoongi that supposedly doesn't even believe in soulmates.

Huh.

Jimin's luck.

"I promise, it'll be fine. Just let me take you out somewhere, and I'll change your mind. Please?"

Jimin isn't one to beg for what he wants. He simply goes and gets, and when Yoongi nods, albeit a bit unsure, Jimin feels like soaring.

That night, he gets Yoongi's number and a promise of tomorrow at eight.
~

"So, Yoongi. Tell me about yourself."

God, he sounds cliche. Something that he wasn't going for, but it'll suffice, for now.

"Um..." It's obvious that Yoongi has to search his mind for information to say.

Not that Jimin minds, he just keeps himself warm by leaning closer to the heater by the couch in the cafe, watching Yoongi (who's currently clad in dark wash jeans, a dark red shirt beneath a black flannel, something cute and casual that Jimin loves immediately).

"I'm in school right now for composing. I write song lyrics, produce, and all that. My favorite color is black, my birthday is March 9th 1993, I have an older brother, I play the piano... I'm here from Daegu. I rap, in the underground scene."

This Yoongi is an interesting character. Jimin wouldn't have guessed that the other played the piano, or that he rapped, or anything like that - while his appearance didn't exactly scream 'nice and friendly', he wasn't malicious or anything, either.

From then on, they start talking regularly. Jimin is usually the one to initiate conversation, something that the younger doesn't mind much. Yoongi's just glad that he has a chatterbox to be around. Makes life more unusual.

Yoongi eventually shares his story behind why he's sceptical of soulmates.

("I used to have a platonic soulmate. He was my everything, and we hung out all of the time. I met him when I was two, and he was around until my 15th birthday. Thirteen years is a long time to be with someone. You get attached. Or I did, anyway. He didn't seem to care. Just took off one day, a couple of years ago, and I just. Haven't been able to get over it. I've come to peace with it, but I haven't gotten over it. I'm sorry that I wasn't nicer when I first met you.)"

Jimin understands Yoongi, and Yoongi understands Jimin.

When Jimin takes Yoongi's hand over the table, interlacing it with his own, he finds out another thing about Yoongi that he loves -

Gummy smile.

Enough said.

~

(Fast forward a few months. Scened at Jimin and Taehyung's place. Action!)

Jimin knew he was going to regret this. Something so horrible, so demanding, so precise -

It was time for Yoongi to meet Taehyung.

"Hyung, calm down. I'm sure that you'll be fine," Jimin says, taking his shoes off at the doorway.

"Yoongi," this seemed to startle the older out of his gaze.

"What if he doesn't like me? He's so important to you, I just want him to - "

Taehyung has always been more actions than words (although there's a lot of both, at all times). So the next thing that Yoongi knows is that someone is pulling him into a hug from behind, someone with too jiggly of limbs to be Jimin, and like, why is this person on him?

Taehyung nearly squeezes the life out of Yoongi, and if Jimin wouldn't have stopped him, then he might've actually succeeded in doing so.

"Yoongi hyung! Jimin has told me so much about you," Taehyung smiles at the other, immediately pulling him into the other room, and Jimin has to hinder his laughter. Yoongi's looking at him like he just saw an actual alien, and Jimin figures that yes, that is actually what just happened.

He just rolls with it.

Jimin's still smiling a few minutes later, shaking his head, and when he can hear laughter from both of his soulmates in the other room, his heart flutters, and he feels whole for the first time in his life.

~

They're just laying there, tangled up with each other, fingers laced inbetween their torsos, and everything is so comforting. There's rain pouring down on the windows, and
Yoongi seems to be half asleep when Jimin awakes him with a question.

"Are you still skeptical of soulmates?"

Yoongi's eyes widen and he turns slightly to look at Jimin properly. He smiles, that beautiful smile that Jimin loves oh so much, and shakes his head, leaning down to press a soft kiss on Jimin's forehead.

"No. I believe in you and me, no matter if there's such a thing as soulmates or not. And that's all that matters."

Jimin grins, the answer making his chest thump, his tattoo flourish in the dark tinted room, and he can hear Taehyung's laughter in the background on the other side of the door -

He knows that he's exactly where and with who he should be.

~~

 

A/N: *Cross posted on Archiveofourown*

...I'm not sure how to feel about this story, tbh. Wrote in a whim, and my love for soulmate!au's. And Bangtan, of course. Let me know what you think down in the comments, and thanks for reading!