Photogenic

Photo Romance

Myungsoo, as you know, is the visual of INFINITE, one of the currently trending Kpop idol boy groups in Korea. And as you might have guessed, they are very busy and rarely get time for themselves. We are the first of January 2016 and for once, they get to spend their day freely… Although they had to perform until midnight on 31st December 2015 and they would all rather sleep until lunch time instead of hanging out. Hence, all the members decided that they should go visit their respective family (or do whatever they want) by the afternoon, so they can sleep peacefully in the morning. However, L has other plans this morning. At around 7AM, he is already done taking his first shower of the year and ready to disguise himself for a little escape from the dorms.

« Myungsoo ? »

The visual jumps in surprise when he hears someone groaning his name in a sleepy tone.

« It’s only 7 in the morning. Why are you preparing to leave so early ? Did something came up ? »

Myungsoo knows the manager is just asking because he is worried something serious might have happened for him to leave this early, but although he wouldn’t admit it to himself, he is still in shock from the sudden deep voice calling his name. He needs to take a few breaths before finally answering :

« Yeah… Something came up, but don’t worry, nothing serious… I will be back for lunch. Please don’t tell the others. »

With that said, he smiles and the manager nods in response… Then yawns and probably decides to return to bed.

L knows… He shouldn’t be doing this… He has gotten afraid to meet other people outside of the kpop idols world. He can’t let himself disappoint his fans. Still, his passion for photography lead him to a other path. Of course, photography was just a hobby, but it doesn’t mean he doesn’t take it seriously.

As he finally reaches the meeting point with his friend, he sees that person already taking pictures.

« Ya ! How dare you start without me ? »

A woman with long unstyled hair covered by a warm looking knit beanie, holding a camera, turns to him. The camera is now pointing in his direction.

« I didn’t even take one yet. »

She smiles, and it is enough for Myungsoo to forgive her. He ruffles her hair and greets her.

« Happy new year, Haerin ah~ »

She puts her camera down and bows to him.

« Happy new year, L sshi ! »

« Stop calling me that, we are both on our twenties anyways. »

« I don’t want to call you ‘Oppa’ or just by your name, just in case. Do you know how your fans would react if they heard someone else than them calling you that ? »

« Oh ! So you aren’t a fan ? »

« … Ey. They could still misunderstand our relation ship. »

Myungsoo laughs at her.

Kim Haerin is a college student majoring in photography, also a freelance photographer. He has met her at a café, when she asked him shamelessly if she could take shoots of him. Anyone would do, but he happened to be sitting the closest to her. L was disguised, and as she didn’t seem to recognize him, he instantly refused her request… Fact is, Haerin isn’t the kind of person to give up easily, so she secretly followed him (she has told him later about it) and figured out his identity when she saw him taking off his disguise since fans has recognized him when he was heading to the Woollim building. The next morning, she spotted him immediately when she entered the café and thought it would be right to offer him a coffee as a apology for her careless behavior. Since then, around 8 months has passed.

« Here are your coffees. Enjoy ! »

The waiter smiles at them.

« You always come together now ! Well you share the same interrests so it makes sense. »

Then he leaves. This waiter knows them well, he first knew both of them separately as customers who came frequentely and only early in the morning, then he was there when they got to know each others better too.

« Kang sshi really is the sweetest waiter. »

Haerin says while sipping her beverage.

« I agree. Show me your photographs by the way, you didn’t show me today ! »

Myungsoo asks her but she hides her camera instead.

« I didn’t erase some old pictures so not today… »

She tries to make up a excuse but it doesn't work on him.

« By old pictures, don’t tell me you secretly took picture of me although I’ve told you not to ? »

She smiles.

« Hehe ! I know it’s too dangerous to keep picture of you but you're so photogenic… Even if I did, I’d delete them right away- Ya ! »

L quickly steals her camera from her hands and starts looking at the pictures while Haerin stands up to go near him and try to get it back.

« Nice shot though. »

Haerin sits next to him and stares in frustration.

« Fine delete them. »

« I have to. »

« I was going to do it anyway, I swear. I knew you’d remind me that I shouldn’t again. »

« You can’t resist, huh. »

He tries to reassure her by a pat on her head and deletes the 2 or 3 pictures of him that were in the memory card.

« I wish I could take pictures of someone as handsome as you without risking my life. Ahh it’s frustrating ! Having a model right beside me and not being able to take a single picture ! »

The waiter Kang, who was passing by to serve other customers, chuckles secretly. It’s something usual to see Haerin getting upset, and he enjoys watching their interraction.

« It’s because you’re only a freelance ! »

She frowns. Being reminded that she can’t do anything about it right now makes her upset. Although she tries to get hired somehow…

« One day you’ll be noticed for your photographs skills and be able to take pictures of models in a professional environement. »

« Yeah, I hope so… I won’t give up, it’s one of my goals for this year ! »

« Good ! Though what’s so interresting in taking picture of me disguised though ? »

« Even disguised, you have style. No one can deny that. And to be honest, you know fans can recognize you sometimes, just by your silhouette. I'm sure of it ! »

She takes her camera back as Myungsoo has finished his task, while he smiles in amusement and sips his cappuccino.

« What do you think about this picture ? My brother has requested me a nice picture with snow, he wants to make a card for his girlfriend while he is still in Korea. »

« Yeah I think it’s nice. But wait, his girlfriend isn’t here ? »

« She is Japanese, and she is studying there. He will move to Japan soon… L-sshi, you have cream on your lips, aren’t you taking your drama acting too seriously ? »

She laughs at his lightly flushed face while he tries to reach for a napkin, that she carefully put far away from him.

« Ya ! It wasn’t on purpose ! Give me those napkins ! » 

« I find it cute, your sunglasses are all blurred with the steam too, how do you still see with that ? »

Haerin also wonders why he won't use his hand to whipe his mouth but she won't question him about that out loud. Maybe minding to be cleaner than anybody else is also an idol thing ?

« I can still see and it will disapear quickly. Just give me- »

« Shall I wipe the cream for you ? »

Myungsoo stops. He fixes her eyes, while she smiles at his reaction…

« Go for it then. »

He winks, after giving a quick glance to their surrounding, and luckily there is only a other pair of customers who seem to be busy talking about their own business, waiters are all busy washing and getting ready for the flow of customers that usually comes at around nine and a half.

Now it’s her turn to blush. Although his winking was cringe worthy, she isn’t the kind to back off at this point, she has started it.

« Are you sure ? Isn’t it too risky for both of us ? I mean I don't want to get hangged on a tree for touching the precious visual. »

She jokes. You might think they actually are secretly dating. In fact… No. This is the first time this kind of event ever happens. As weird as it might sound, they have never honestly told their feelings to each others, but they might have both noticed it for some time already.

« Trust me. »

As he gave her "permission", with all the suggestive staring coughs Haerin doesn’t hesitate and leans closer to the visual’s face and kisses his lips… Or more like the upper part of his lips since she said she’d clean the foam off his face, and she sticks to her words. As she retreats, too early for Myungsoo’s liking, the man claims her lips back almost immediately with a "real" kiss this time.

The world around them seems to have disapeared until they hear the bell of the front door ring, welcoming another customer, to which they jump back to their sitting position.

There is a long moment of silence.

Finally, the woman clears .

« So… Did you make any 2016 resolutions ? »

Very smooth, she thinks to herself while interenally slapping herself.

« Actually… »

The handsome photographer begins, then smiles and looks at her.

« My first resolution was to tell you my feelings. »

Haerin smiles and acts as if she could puke from the cheesiness.

« I like you Haering. »

Then comes the dimple smile. Maybe Myungsoo wasn't confident enough to just stare at her and wait for her answer.

« Me too. »

She’d like to say more but she can’t seem to say anything else. At this point theair is getting way too "fluffy" around them and they can't look at each other anymore.

«You know I can’t be like any other boyfriends out there, right ? We’d pretty much only meet like usual to take pictures. Still, these are my honest feelings, and although I can’t take care of you like I’d like to, I want you to be my girlfriend, and not someone else’s… If you’d like to be my girlfriend. »

« I’m fine with that. I know you also are your fans’ "boyfriend". As long as we can enjoy each other’s company once in a while, I can bear with that. Don’t hate me if I get jealous though… And yes, I want to be your girlfriend… How dare you ask. »

But L whines cutely at her answer.

« You haven’t told me that you like me yet~ »

« What ? … I did ! I said ‘Me too’, it’s already too cheesy coming from me. What in the world did you expect ? I'm not from an idol group or something ! »

« Hm. So that’s how much you like me… I’m disappointed. »

He chuckles, then drinks up his now cold coffee and stands.

« Let’s take some more pictures outside, I need to be back to the dorms for lunch. »

« Fine… »

They feel the cold air as soon as they step out of the café. Suddenly, Haerin takes Myungsoo’s hands, make him wear one glove and pulls his other in her pocket with hers.

« I like you. A lot. Happy now ? »

And this made both’s first day of the year far better than they have both expected. 

 

~ END