Final

The Silent Observer

It was the training room, the one that gave him all of his problems. Jinhwan loved that place, but the memories muddled his brain and turned his love into hate.

His team grew bit by bit, from three, to six, to nine, and went back to seven. He was always proud of s. He loved them. They're his treasures.

As the oldest, he had the unwritten duty and responsibility to look after all the six kids, and so he observed. He knew what they liked, and he knew what they were like.

Except for two, they’re his oldest members. Hanbin and Jiwon.

Jinhwan had been with them the longest, yet they always surprised him. He wanted to know more, but he stuck to his choice to silently observe.

It was when they were only a six membered team, and was devastated by WIN's results. So many things happened over the duration between WIN and Mix & Match.

Jinhwan was like that of a hawk and a rabbit. His eyes were fast to follow each member’s movements, he knew exactly where they were and when. His ears happened to be very sensitive to noises; he'd hear every little whisper.

The one year gap, this is when it started. This is when Jinhwan discovered and buried the burning secret that two of s shared.

He saw the little touches Jiwon sneaked during their breaks. He saw the faint blushes on Hanbin's cheeks.

He heard Hanbin's gasps for air when no one was around. He heard Jiwon's sinful whispers that were exclusive for Hanbin only.

Jinhwan had not been surprised that Jiwon's target was Hanbin, but he was surprised that Jiwon conquered Hanbin. He had thought Hanbin was much stronger than that.

But Jinhwan wasn't one to judge.

Everyday went exactly as all the days that had went, except the smallest movement of the couple had been registered in Jinhwan's head as the one he had to be aware of.

Jinhwan had always been a caring older brother for s, he had always wanted the best for them and he wanted them to be happy. But this wasn't a way that could make Hanbin happy.

As time progressed, Jinhwan noticed how much Hanbin had succumbed under Jiwon's touches, and how much he had relied on him.

Jinhwan didn't like this, but he wasn't one to interfere.

So Jinhwan observed them, just like he did to everybody else, like always, and he noticed the longer time the couple sat together in their house.

Everyday had posed as a piggy bank, and their little touches posed as coins. Little by little, it became so much. And Jinhwan was scared, that if the piggy bank were to crumble, Hanbin would also crumble with it.

Mix & Match had started, and their privacy was again invaded. The couple had less and less time to be together, and Jinhwan noticed that the sad expressions of their leader had become eminent.

Jinhwan didn't want these changes; he didn't want Hanbin and Jiwon’s relationship to exist. Because Hanbin was too precious in his eyes.

Mix & Match ended after some months, and they got their privacy back with a new member. But the distance between Hanbin and Jiwon that seemed to only exist because the camera was there was still noticeable, at least to Jinhwan.

In Jinhwan's observation, the time Jiwon spent with Hanbin was much more less than before Mix & Match had happened. Shouting from inside the training room turned from a leader's constructive criticisms into lovers' quarrels. Nobody saw it as Jinhwan saw it though, the other four thought their rapper line just had some normal, everyday disagreements, but Jinhwan knew much more.

Then Jinhwan began to hear sniffles from their living room in the middle of the night.

Jiwon then started to run away in the middle of his arguments with Hanbin, and usually Hanbin would come to Jinhwan for advises. Hanbin would cover it up by saying "my friend" instead of "me", he said "his girlfriend" instead of "Jiwon". But Jinhwan knew, and he gave advises accordingly.

Hanbin looked surprised sometimes, listening to those advises Jinhwan gave him, because they seemed to fit just right.

Jinhwan didn't want their relationship to exist, but Hanbin would always looked so happy after hearing each advises. So he wasn't able to prevent himself from offering meaningless helps.

Jinhwan wasn’t one to say no.

Another week or two had gone, and Jinhwan heard an argument when he walked alone back home. He knew those voices; they were familiar. He peeked; it was Hanbin and Jiwon. Jinhwan had thought this conversation wouldn't turn out beautifully, as anyone would know from hearing Jiwon's tone and seeing Hanbin's almost gone existence. Hanbin had his head down, seemed to be way too scared of Jiwon.

Then there it was, Jinhwan heard it. He heard the deciding phrase had come out of Jiwon's mouth. It was clear; Hanbin and Jiwon's relationship was no more.

Jinhwan closed his fists and continued his walk home.

After around fifteen minutes of being in the house, Jinhwan heard the front door open. And he saw Jiwon coming in. Both didn't say anything. From what Jinhwan was able to see, nothing had changed from Jiwon after he completely destroyed his relationship with Hanbin.

Jinhwan sighed, and he waited for another hour in their living room.

Everyone else was in their bedrooms, sleeping comfortably. But Jinhwan was wide-awake, waiting for his wrecked leader to come home.

The front door had opened, and Jinhwan almost jumped to the front door to welcome his long time best friend. Jinhwan looked up, and he saw the most miserable expression Hanbin had ever worn.

Jinhwan was torn, as so was Hanbin.

Hanbin had slowly walked in, and he hugged Jinhwan. He hugged him with such force that Jinhwan thought Hanbin had anger in him, but after a while he heard sniffles, and he heard loud cries.

Jinhwan closed his eyes and hugged Hanbin back.

This was it, Jinhwan saw Hanbin breaking down, he saw Hanbin as he was reduced into nothing, just as he expected.

Maybe Hanbin didn't mind letting Jinhwan see him like this because Jinhwan wasn't nosey, but maybe it was simply because Hanbin needed someone to lean their shoulder for him to cry on.

Whatever the reason was, Jinhwan was glad he was there for Hanbin. Because he had expected this from the first time he saw the little shy glances, the mini blushes, and the longing stares.

Jinhwan predicted it, because Jinhwan recognised the pattern.

Jinhwan knew, because Jinhwan was also his victim.