Final

Five Words
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook did his research when his middle school brought up the phenomenon known as soulmates, and the fact that it was very real. That day when he went home, he went straight towards his family’s home computer, waited for the internet through dialup and finally after what seemed to be years he typed in the words “soulmates” in the search engine.

His results were astounding. Stories, myths and all sorts came up and as he read through almost every one of them out there, he came to the conclusion that a soulmate was beautiful. Recounts of actual meetings were posted online on forums and as he read through them, they all described that the moment they met their soulmate, a warm feeling settled in their heart.

Jungkook wanted that feeling.

Only he didn’t know that every person had a different story to tell, not until he asked how his parents met.

Just like a fingerprint, a snowflake even, a soulmate encounter was always different.

Some were obvious such as tattoos of another’s name would show up on their body, another would talk about how everything burst into colour the second they locked eyes with their soulmate.

When Jungkook finally understood that there was a variety, he wished that it when the time came his story would be a good one.

He heard of the weirder ones, where someone started to get sneeze every time their other half was close which by the end was apparently only remedied when they were given a tissue by their soulmate. Or the one where someone’s tongue burned as if they were eating spicy food and in that case their other half had no clue because they loved adding hot sauce to almost everything they ate so they didn’t even know the difference.

So honestly Jungkook had his fingers crossed, wary of the years he still had before him.

Jimin who was his best friend ever since they were in diapers was the first to hear about his worries of meeting his soulmate, and when Jungkook asked him for advice, middle school Jimin just looked at him, smiled, patted his back and told him “it’s going to be fine, it’ll be like a fairy tale.”

Jungkook nodded, he was younger than Jimin and hence looked up to his wisdom so he smiled back at him, taking his friend’s words to heart.

*

*

*

Now that they were in college, Jungkook wondered if Jimin ever regretted uttering that statement.

“I want to cry,” Jimin said looking teary eyed as he came up to the table where Jungkook was eating leisurely while pretending to study. He had his textbook open in front of him but while he was reading, it wasn’t exactly being absorbed in his head.

Jungkook humoured him, not wanting to “study” anymore. “Why?”

“I keep popping a at the most random time, last week it happened while I was in the restroom washing my hands.”

Jungkook blinked. “What.”

“I think it’s a soulmate thing,” Jimin continued. “Like clearly I’ve got my hormones under control and sudden boners haven’t happened since that time at Big Bang’s concert--”

“Which was a month ago Jimin--”

“And I mean I seriously don’t think I’d be by a lecture about statistics so I’m concluding that I’m getting close to my soulmate and my is literally my radar.”

Jungkook did what any good friend would do in that moment and let out a snort, which turned into full blown laughter that lasted for a few minutes.

Jimin just waited until he finally stopped before asking him, “You done?”

Jungkook nodded, wiping at a stray tear.

“It’s gone now by the way.”

Jungkook tilted his head confused waiting for Jimin to elaborate.

Jimin rolled his eyes. “My . So that means my soulmate has left and he probably goes to this college.”

“Which means you’ll have a chance of bumping into him again,” Jungkook added trying to keep a straight face.

Jimin nodded vigourously, not even noticing the tone of teasing that was in his friend’s voice.

Honestly though, Jungkook was happy for Jimin for knowing his soulmate was close but also because he felt his experience at some point wouldn’t be nearly as bad (or hard).

*

*

*

Jungkook studied in the library because it was calming and the fact was most of the students there were actually focused on studying instead of pretending to which was good for Jungkook because he was distracted easily.

With his ear buds in, Jungkook wrote as neatly as possible in a notebook of anything he deemed important enough for his exam in the near future and as his head bopped along to the lyrics of Fall Out Boy, he heard static all of a sudden.

Glancing at his phone in question, he saw that the song was still playing but in his ears, he heard something else.

“I’m a Barbie girl in a Barbie world…”

Jungkook’s mind shut down as he ripped off his ear phones only to realize the song was still playing in his head.

Instantly Jungkook knew.

Of course he did, he studied the phenomenon long enough to know that it was happening to him.

His soulmate was near and apparently they had questionable music taste.

Now Jungkook knew how Jimin felt because he sort of wanted to cry as well.

It’s been years since he last heard Aqua and now he finally realized just how dirty the lyrics were.

In response to that knowledge, Jungkook slammed his face into his notebook and let out a groan.

No one dared to glance his way, probably seeing it as normal behaviour of a college student but it wasn’t. It was someone who realized what type of soulmate experience they would have.

For the next few minutes that came after, Jungkook whispered along to Ken’s lines with agony clearly in his eyes.

*

*

*

The second time it happened, Jungkook was in the shower singing Maroon 5 in a low voice with his shampoo bottle as his microphone, and then as if there was a remote somewhere the words that flew out of his mouth were no longer of Maroon 5 but that of Beyoncé.

“All the single ladies!”

Jungkook slammed his mouth shut after executing a high note at the end and whimpered.

Silently he thanked the fact that Jimin wasn’t in their dorm otherwise he would have laughed at him, and then Jungkook let out a sigh as his head sang to him passionately.

It was still a surprise to him that it was even happening but Jungkook was torn between finding the situation amazing, hilarious, or ultimately sad.

Jungkook bet with his whole heart that during the same time, his soulmate was enjoying an awesome song by ACDC and here he was, putting his hands up for Beyoncé.

He was on a highway to hell (figuratively).

Yet even though he wouldn’t be caught dead singing along to it, there was no denying the fact he started to execute the dance moves perfect under the shower head and once the song ended, Jungkook stepped out feeling refreshed and ready to take on the world.

Jimin had come home by then apparently sometime before he was finished showering, and when he saw Jungkook come out of the shower with shorts and a long white shirt, looking more exuberant than usual, he raised his eyebrow.

“What did you drink?”

Jungkook rolled his eyes as he rubbed his head with his towel. “I didn’t have alcohol if that’s what you’re asking.”

“Did you accept any weird concoctions from strangers?” Jimin pressed on.

Throwing himself on the sofa, Jungkook settled his legs on Jimin’s thighs and didn’t answer his friend.

Knowing him well enough, Jimin waited as he placed his laptop on Jungkook and continued to write his essay for whatever class he was taking (Jungkook never paid attention).

A few minutes of typing and as Jimin let out a yawn, Jungkook spoke up.

“My soulmate goes here.”

Jimin stopped what he was doing immediately, chucking his laptop gently onto the table beside them and turned around so he was facing Jungkook on the couch.

“Tell me more,” he said eagerly.

“I think I end up listening to the songs they like in my head.”

“Really?” Jimin asked with bright eyes. He probably thought it was romantic compared to his lover fairy tale.

Jungkook let out a sound that resembled a wheeze as he lost 1-HP.

“The first song I heard was Aqua.”

Jimin stared at him which Jungkook pointedly ignored. “No. You’re kidding me.”

“I am not Ken.”

With that sentence alone, Jimin was practically giddy with mirth over what Jungkook had said.

Jimin knew the type of person that Jungkook was, someone who wore black and red more often than any other colour, he who wore beanies and boots whenever he had the chance and cowered at the morning rays of sunshine. He was the type of person who wore both earphones and wouldn’t even play anything just to avoid talking to most people. Jimin even knew that Jungkook was planning t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter