Rekindle

Red Hearts

     Gray, the color of the sky was gray. Debris sounded against my feet as I walked towards the abandoned cafe. The cafe was like my home as my real one was destroyed to create more room for the "experiments." An ominous presence hung over me every time I thought about it. 

     Our- no my- society was very simple. Either you feel or you don't. For some reason, I was the only one left behind after they came and took all the villagers away, my parents included. It's already been four years. Looking back, I was a totally different person from my twelve-year-old self. Memories flashed by my mind, sending a warm mess thorough me. My memories would have to die here. 

     I ascended the stairs of the cafe to reach my room. It was nothing much, a bunch of trash huddled in the corner. I sat down on my makeshift bed. Thoughts filled my mind as I struggled to fall asleep. I knew I needed it for later. I decided to leave this rotten place and expand my horizons. There was nothing for me here. I pressed down my tears and succumbed to my fatigue.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     I quickly awoke to another gray sky and quickly packed my things. I skimmed through the place once more and ran out of the building, out of the neighborhood. To where, I did not know. There were no people besides me, so I did not have to worry about looking like a mad person. I was going to go far away. 

      My motive was to find a place where I would be comforted, but another reason was to find others like me. There has to be some, right? I can't be the only person living in this cruel city. I rested at some near some burned buildings and resumed my escape. This went on for a while until I detected something. 

      I searched the area around me. There seemed to be a scrumptious smell coming from a certain direction. I couldn't figure out where. Suddenly something sounded behind me. I was completely started as I wasn't used to noises made by anyone besides me. I ran straight ahead without looking back until someone-or something- cupped my mouth and held me against the being. 

      "Shhhhh. You're not to make a sound, understand?" It was a young man's voice. Strangely attractive, as I thought it was perfect for singing. Nonetheless, my heart raced. I nodded.

        The man released me and I got a view of his face. He was wearing a facial mask so I couldn't make his visuals. He had really handsome eyes though. It has been forever since I last saw another human like me and I found him intriguing. 

         He looked straight at me and pointed straight ahead, insinuating that I follow him there. I was reluctant to follow a stranger but something in his eyes reassured me that he was safe. After all, he was the only person I could count on to tel me what was going on with this part of town. I followed the rythm of his feet and into the gray afternoon.