Chapter 1

Coffee Boy

Youngjae was holding several cups of coffee, more than what he should carry, while balancing a phone to his ear. It was Youngjae’s second day of his internship for one of the most important and well known companies in South Korea.

n the first day of the internship, Youngjae realised that the job was just coffee, bagels, muffins, and back. Youngjae also learnt that the men in the office only liked their coffee and pastries from at least 3 different shops.

 

“We don't mind when you bring us the coffee, as long as it’s before 11- hot. We take our coffee here very seriously.” His boss says with a stern face and voice.

 

At first, Youngjae thought his boss was joking but after chuckling for 4 awkward seconds and watching his boss chug his freshly brewed coffee, Youngjae came to a quick conclusion that this company seriously takes coffee- seriously.

 

“No one here in the office can work without coffee, so your job is highly valued here.” He continues.

 

Youngjae didn’t feel that his job was as important as his boss put it out to be.Youngjae also doesn't understand why they didn't rename the internship as “Coffee deliver”.

 

So here he was, balancing 8 scalding hot coffee cups in flimsy cardboard containers, trying to dodge the thousands of people roaming the hustling streets in Korea.

 

Of course, holding several coffee cups and pastries in one hand during the busiest time of the day wasn't as ideal as what Youngjae wanted it to be- but he had to make-do with his situation. Although, tripping over an invisible rock and flailing his bottom and his several coffee cups onto the pavement in front of hundreds of passersby wasn't ideal either, Youngjae thinks.

 

“Bloody hell, what kind of company sends one sane man on an internship to collect dozens cups of coffee.” Youngjae harshly breathed, “Holy , I should be learning how to file documents or something, not balancing cups.” Youngjae cursed and released a long sigh. The man looked downwards to the ground where the coffee cups laid, and back to his wet sticky hands.

 

“Want any help?” Youngjae peers back to where the voice came from and recognises the voice came from a man in the pink and yellow shirt. The man’s eyes were crinkled into crescents as he smiled at Youngjae.

 

“I'm Daehyun” the man said as he offers a napkin. Youngjae gratefully takes the napkin and wipes his hands

 

“Thanks, I’m Youngjae”

 

“Internship right?” Youngjae finally recognises a Busan dialect from the male and immediately finds him interesting, more than before.

 

“Yeah, how’d you figure it out?” Youngjae laughs

 

“Higher up companies always send their interns to fetch coffee. It's the unspoken rule. Always happens.” Daehyun shrugged casually.

 

Youngjae cringes his face, “I didn't think they were serious, but now I'm wiping all this gunk off my hands. I wonder why people even like this junk, the drink tastes like poison without sugar.”

 

Daehyun laughs back, “I couldn't agree more.”

 

Just as Youngjae finishes cleaning off his hands and stands up, he notices the time and yelps.

 

“Seriously, it's 10.30 already? Aish… I'm going to get fired already. I can't even last 2 days.” Youngjae ruffled his hair and took a deep sigh. Today was just not his day, he thought.

 

“You know, I can help you to work if you like, I don't particularly have anything to do today so I can help you out.” Daehyun offered. Usually, Youngjae wouldn't accept offers like these- especially from a stranger he met 2 minutes ago, but Daehyun seemed like a trustworthy person, and he didn't want to get fired so quickly- so he kinda needed the help.

 

Okay, he really needed his help.

 

“Oh my, that wouldn't be too much of a problem right? I could pay you, I'm sorta desperate for this job” The intern pleaded, which Daehyun lightly chuckled in response.

 

“That's no problem at all.” His eyes crinkled upwards while his mouth quirked upwards.

 

This was the day Youngjae realised how charming the man's smile was.

 

 

 

 

 

-------------

Alright! So that's the first chapter.. Idk what's gonna happen later, but W.E I gotta post something lelz...