Awake?!

That Day

'Today marks the tenth day since a terrible accident happened in the Tokyo Filmstudios, involving one of the members of the famous Idol group 'Arashi'. The press is still uninformed about the member's current condition. As soon as information is revealed, we will report about the newest developments. This was....'
The screen went black and Ohno laid back into his chair. His thoughts were with Nino, who still was in the hospital without any sign of waking up. In fact the doctor had to put him into an artifical coma, so his mostly internal injuries could heal while resting. Suddenly Ohno was shaken by the memories of the accident. It felt like hours when he held Nino's cold hand, until the ambulance arrived and finally the fire fighters were able to remove the pile of metal laying on his friend's body. 

 

When he first saw Nino he was sure that he couldn't have survived this, but he was even more shocked when he saw his friend's eyes open, twitching from left to right, trying to grasp the situation. The other members were coming closer, Aiba hysterically sobbing and Ohno could even see the always calm and collected Sho crying. 
When he saw Nino's eyes resting on him, he tried talking to him, but there was no response. He was pushed aside by medicals and they carefully got Nino on a stretcher.
Before they were out of sight, Ohno tried to talk to him and getting through, but it seemed impossible. Although Nino looked around, he didn't seem to understand what was going on. 
'We need someone who can accompany the ambulance, someone the patient is familiar with. Just in case he wakes up, it would be better he is not alone', the medical looked at them. But before anyone could answer took Ohno one step forward. 'I will go with him!'
Without further ado they headed towards the exit.

The car was tiny and the white colour blended Ohno's eyes. He took Nino's hand again, his friend's condition unchanged. They were heading to the next hospital in full speed and if he wouldn't be in this serious situation he'd definitely get sick. 
'Ohno-san. Can you tell us what happened?', he was asked by one of the paramedics who monitored Nino's condition. 
'We were filming a new video, after we ended one of the takes, this huge metal-thing came crushing down...', he paused, trying to swallow the hard clump that had formed in his throat. 
'There was no one else near Ninomiya-san?', the man kept on asking. Unable to answer properly he only shook his head.
'I see. From now on we will transfer Ninomiya-san to the nearby hospital where he will undergo surgery to see how much damage there was done internally. We have to wait for the results, before we can make a clear statement about his condition. We can only see the injuries on the outside, but he might have internal bleeding'
Ohno shivered and looked at the member. 
'But, he seems awake. Can he hear us? Does he know where we are going?', following Nino's unsteady eyes, he asked the paramedic.
'No, I don't think he can hear or even recognize us. It could be due to shock, that his nerves are moving in spasm and his brain shut down. It is a natural reaction to this kind of situation, the body tries to protect itself from the harm outside. On physical and psychological level.
Ohno nodded his head slightly and for the rest of the way they kept silent, only hearing the monotone peeping of the machines attached to Nino's body. 

 

Ten days had passed since he rode in the medical transporter. They had reached the hospital, Nino was sent into surgery and Ohno waited for the other members and managers to arrive. Together they had sit in silent in front of the surgery room and waited nearly seven hours. The red light above the room went out and Ohno's muscles contracted. When the door finally opened he sprung from his seat and followed by the members he approached one of the doctors.
'Can we see him? How is condition?' The doctor tiredly smiled. 
'We had to stop internal bleeding and in order to let his body rest we decided to put him into an artifical coma. We will wait and see when the time comes to wake him up without risking any new injuries. Then we can also see if there are any malfunctions anywhere else in his body, which we are unable to see in his current situation. So we ask you to be patient'

Sitting in his living-room, Ohno rememberd this day lively and still waited for any news about Nino's condition. 'In the end we are as well informed as the press is' he thought to himself while letting out a deep sigh. He leaned back in his chair again and opened the newspaper, when suddenly his telephone rang.