Christmas Eve, First Date part1

Of Miracles & Moments

Jaebum insists on picking him up at his mother’s house.  It won’t be the first time Jaebum’s been here (he’s dropped off Soohyun once or twice when his own mom was visiting), but it will be the first time that Jaebum comes over with the intention of picking him up for a date.

Youngjae protests though, saying they can easily meet at Jaebum’s apartment or meet up at the restaurant.  “I don’t want to be any trouble.  It doesn’t make sense for you to drive out of your way if the restaurant’s located in the other direction.”  (This is Youngjae’s way of trying to figure out where they are going, because of course, Jaebum keeps that a secret.  All he says is to dress nice but not black-tie nice.)

Jaebum refuses.  “I want to pick you up.  This is our first official date.”

Needless to say, he can’t help but be charmed and worried.  Charmed by Jaebum’s chivalry.  Worried about his mother.  

Although it happened years ago, just hearing the word prom brings back a flood of embarrassing memories so fresh and real that it feels like it happened yesterday.  He can still see his mother with a camera, asking for just one more picture.  Yes, he knows that doesn’t sound inherently bad — all parents want to take pictures of their kids going to prom — it’s just that the one more picture happened nearly an hour after his date arrived to pick him up.  And please, don’t even bring up the complete disaster coming home that night had been.  His date had been leaning in to kiss him — Youngjae’s palms had been sweating and his brain had been going ninety miles a minute, wondering if he needed to tilt his head or should he just stay still, and should he close his eyes or not?  Did his breath smell bad, he ate a mint earlier, right? — when the front porch light suddenly and the door opened and there was his mother with a camera in hand.  

Recalling vividly the embarrassment of that night, Youngjae decides he needs to do pre-damage control and heads to the living room where his mother is watching The Producers.  Again with the Kim Soohyun dramas.  Maybe he should consider getting his mother in a support group, like Soohyun-holics Anonymous.  (You know if there is such a thing.  If not, there totally should be.)

When his mom sees him come in, she pauses the show to see what he wants.

“So eomma,” he begins.  “About tomorrow…”

“It’s your big date with Jaebum.” 

His mom had genuinely been excited when he told her that Jaebum had asked him to dinner.  She assured him repeatedly that it wasn’t a big deal that she’d be alone on Christmas Eve — when Jaebum had asked, he’ll admit he hadn’t thought about his mom when he agreed and later he felt bad about that.  She told him not to though, because she planned to rest since his sister and her family will be coming over Christmas Day, after the kids open up presents from Santa at their own house.  She claimed she needed to rest lots so she could handle the energy of her three grandkids and have fun celebrating the holiday with everyone.

Big date.  He’s trying not to be nervous, but his mother’s words do nothing to help.  It’s not that he isn’t excited and happy and really really looking forward to his first date with Jaebum.  It’s just that this is his first date in years, and he’s worried that he’s more than a little rusty at the whole dating scene thing.  

He’s got that to worry about but first priority is his mom.

“Yeah, about the date.  You’re not planning anything, right?”

“Me?”  His mom’s face is the textbook picture of innocence.  “What would I plan?”

He takes a seat next to her on the sofa preparing for a heart-to-heart (pleading) chat.  

“I love you, you know that right?”  She nods.  “So when I say this, remember that.  But uh, promise me that you won’t do what you did prom night?”

“Prom night.”  She frowns but then she remembers her baby all dressed up.  “Oh, you looked so handsome!”

“Eomma, no pictures, please.  You took plenty that night, enough to last a lifetime.”

“But Youngjae that was years ago,” she counters back, then she smiles when she thinks of something new.  “Maybe when Jaebum comes to pick you up, you could invite him in and I can show him pictures of you growing up.  You were the cutest little chubby baby!”

Youngjae’s face loses all color, making him look a vampire that belongs in a fictional novel.  “No, please don’t.  Let’s not.”  He’s completely horrified at the thought.  Tragic hairstyles and tragic outfits should stay in the past. 

His mom laughs and leans forward to kiss him on the cheek.  “My baby.  Don’t worry, I’m just teasing you.”  Youngjae’s answering sigh of relief is huge.  Picture albums can always come later though, she thinks to herself, like after the fifth or sixth date.  “I promise to be on my best behavior.”

To be honest, she knows her son very well.  And she realizes what a big step this date is for him, for him to be willing to open himself up to a relationship.  She’d been so worried about him after what happened with his last boyfriend, because he had completely closed himself off and wouldn’t let anyone get close.  She’s more than thankful to Jabeum for being the one to break through and get Youngjae to open up his heart and to believe in the possibility of love again.

By teasing him, she hopes to distract him from his nervous mind and overthinking things.

“Thank you.”  But again, this is his mom, so he wants to double check just to be extra sure.  Not that he doesn’t love her and trust her… okay, maybe he doesn’t completely trust her.  “No cameras tomorrow?”

“No cameras,” she promises with an indulgent smile.  “Now, want to watch the rest of the episode with me?  It’s getting to the good part,” she informs him, picking up the TV remote from where she placed it on the coffee table earlier.  

“Let me get something to drink and snack on first then we can watch it.  Want anything?” he asks as he stands back up.

“No, maybe later.  Thanks honey.”

After the episode ends, he turns to his mom before she can press play to watch the next episode — the drama addiction is real — to ask for a favor.  “Do you want to help me decide what I should wear tomorrow night?”  He’s old enough to pick out his own clothes, but he thinks his mom would appreciate being asked and it’d make her happy.  (Besides Jaebum seemed to like the outfit his mom had suggested last time, so it doesn’t hurt to ask for a second opinion.)

Mrs. Choi is pretty sure her son is going to wear a hole in the carpet with all the back-and-forth pacing he is doing, so when the doorbell rings, she thinks it’s not a moment too soon.  Hardwood floors would be nice and all, but they’d be expensive.  Just before Youngjae opens the door, she leaves the living room to let her son and Jaebum have a few moments of privacy to themselves.

When she returns Jaebum is helping Youngjae into his coat — a sight that makes her sigh and her heart happy.  Youngjae’s laughing as Jaebum doubles up a scarf and places it around his neck, covering his mouth and nose with the thick wool material.  

“Hyung, are you trying to insinuate that I talk too much and this is your way of asking me not to?” Youngjae teases with a pout (not that Jaebum can see the pout, with the way his mouth is covered and everything).

Jaebum pulls down the scarf himself with a grin.  “Never.  I like your voice too much.”

She clears twice to make her presence known.  

“Mrs. Choi, it’s nice to see you again.”  Jaebum bows slightly in respect.

“You look nice,” she comments and Jaebum smiles his thanks.  She takes her phone out of her pocket and unlocks the screen.  “Both you and Youngjae look great actually, not that I’m surprised since this is your first date and all.  Don’t you think I should take a picture of you two?”

“Eomma!” 

“What?  This is a phone, not a camera.  It just happens to take pictures too,” she informs her son, pretending like he doesn’t already know that himself.

She’s taken pictures only a couple of times before and only after her granddaughter showed her how — kids are so smart these days with all the technological gadgets.  It makes her head hurt thinking of the contraptions and such that are being thought up new every day.  With phone in hand, she clicks the icon that says camera, and all she sees is her face.  That’s odd, she thinks.  Maybe she’s remembering wrong and that’s how it’s supposed to look at first.  She snaps a few test pictures in Youngjae and Jaebum’s direction (she does remember that it’s the center button at the bottom of the phone) and no, up pops her face five times in a row.  Well, that’s not supposed to happen.  

“Youngjaeya, hon,” she says in her sweetest voice.     

“Yes, eomma?”  He’s already thinking he should have made his mom write down her promise, or you know actually thought of potential loop holes to begin with.  

“This thing keeps taking pictures of my face.  I don’t know what’s going on.”

Jaebum’s body shakes as he tries to control his laughter while Youngjae sighs out loud. But like the good son he is, he quickly and efficiently explains to his mom what she did wrong and how to properly take a picture.

“Thanks.  You’re the best.”  She gives him a thumbs-up sign and then gestures for Jaebum and Youngjae to stand closer together. 

Jaebum wraps an arm around Youngjae’s waist and leans in to whisper that he’s sure there’s a story behind the camera picture thing and he hopes Youngjae will tell him over dinner.  It’s the moment that Jaebum’s leaning in toward Youngjae and Youngjae’s looking up at him that his mom snaps the picture.

“Beautiful!”  She really wants another picture but decides the one she has is good enough.  Besides she can already see the two falling in love, and there’s no camera in the world that can capture that as well as her own two eyes.   

“Isn’t it about time to leave,” Youngjae whispers to Jaebum, praying desperately that he will say yes. 

He looks at his watch and realizes Youngjae is right.  “Mrs. Choi, I’m sorry we need to go so we can make our reservations on time,” he tells her, walking over to where she is standing, still admiring the picture she’d taken.  He kisses her softly on the cheek.  “Merry Christmas.”  Lowering his voice he adds, “Please send the picture you took to me later.  Thanks.”

It’s when they’re at the front door that Youngjae’s mom stops them.  “Don’t worry about coming home, you know if it gets too dark or the roads are bad.”

“Eomma.”

Jaebum tries to keep his face straight (and from blushing — Youngjae has no luck, his face is tinged pink, which Jaebum finds incredibly cute).  “Don’t worry, Mrs. Choi, I’ll drive carefully and keep Youngjae safe.”

“I know you will.”  

Jaebum smiles in gratitude, glad that he has the trust of Youngjae’s mom.  

She continues.  “I have your mother on speed dial after all.”

Youngjae and Jaebum share a look and without any words said they know they’re thinking the exact same thing.  Dating is going to prove to be interesting seeing as their moms are total bffs.

____________

The date continues in the next chapter.  I split it up so that I could provide a quicker update (shorter chapter, less time to edit/proofread multiple times).  Why you ask?  Because of all you very sweet and kind people who subbed, upvoted, and provided encouragement and well wishes when this was just a story forward.  All the 2jae story love made me smile and I really thank you for it. 

(Tbh all the love makes me a bit nervous too because I would hate to disappoint, so I hope this sequel started off well in your opinion.)

For all my chaptered stories (including this one), for everyone who reviews I’ll send a sneak peek of my next chapter.  It’s just my extra way to show appreciation for the love and feedback.  Sneak peek will be sent through private message, and it may take a few days (or longer) depending on when I come up with a chapter idea or have something decent written.