Page 1

Mirage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He was drowning. His legs were two blocks of lead. No actually they were chained to two blocks of lead. The vast sapphire blue surrounded him. Engulfed him. Suffocated him. His lungs burned.

There was desperation to escape but to no avail. He was plummeting into a fathomless pit of despair. Fast.

Far above, he could see something. A shadow. A dark silhouette.

His vision faded in and out. His eyes losing focus of the dark figure hurtling towards him lending him his hand to take possibly trying his utmost to save him.

His inner voice screamed at him to catch hold of his lifeline, the hand. His body refused to comply and his eyes drooped to a close before succumbing entirely to darkness.

Gasp!

This had been his routine for the past 6 months. At around 2 a.m. every day Kyuhyun would wake up drenched in sweat, literally gasping for breaths just like he had in that dream. Now the idea of the drowning figure in his dream actually being him was of debate but somehow he couldn’t shake the feeling off. The gasping, the coldness of the water, in short the entire hair-raising experiencing was anything short of harrowing.

And its always the same dream. On repeat. Day in and day out.

It had become so monotonous and boring that Kyuhyun no longer had any interest to share it with his best buddy Ryeowook. When he had just started dreaming he was so freaked out, he couldn’t stop yapping about it. 

“Maybe you should go see a therapist!” Ryeowook had suggested.

“For the last ing time, I’m not gonna lie on a couch and convince that I’m a crazy- insomniac to a quack who cares less if I grow an extra head!” Dropping his fork on his lunch plate rather forcefully, Kyuhyun screamed at him.

“But Kyuhyun, you look like a zombie already! Anymore and you can audition for the Halloween play this year!” Of course Ryeowook’s comments were in good spirits but somehow that didn’t do any good for Kyuhyun’s situation.

“Yeah. And you’d make an excellent understudy for the Zombie king, the supreme ruler of the underworld!” Ryeowook was used to his best friend’s snide comments by now. 

“Save the wisecracks for Prof. Choi. He seems to have taken quite a liking to yours!” Ryeowook teased as he bit into his club sandwich. 

Ah! Professor Choi was Kyuhyun’s new mentor from the Neurology department. With a hot bod and a killer smile, he could make girls drop like flies around him. Even with the entire bachelorette population of the campus vying for his undivided attention, he politely turned them down. Every single one of them. Like there was something wrong with his brain circuitry. Guess all neuroscientists are weirdos. Speaking of which, Choi Siwon didn’t come off entirely as weird, that is, as long as he was with others. There was something which he had seen in Kyuhyun that always made him act rather odd, if you could name the excessive staring, being a little too close for comfort after class as ‘odd’ that is! Either that or he was a creepy e!

Kyuhyun had settled for the latter for obvious reasons.

Because of this trait, people, both staffs and students alike thought that he was showing favoritism. Of course a brilliant med student like Kyuhyun would do well despite that but Siwon’s presence around him was always compelling. And intense. 

There were many a times that Kyuhyun had been tempted to confront him and ask him what his deal was with him because the rumors around campus would be blown out of proportion. At last, he couldn’t take it anymore.

It happened a month ago. They had just had a rather interactive session on brain wave patterns during sleep. Prof. Choi had insisted that Kyuhyun would do a live demonstration since, well, he had actually fallen asleep in the middle of the session. Ryeowook did his best to wake him up but was told otherwise by Siwon. The probes were placed on Kyuhyun’s head and very soon he looked like the ideal subject for a large scale science experiment, all while he was asleep.

The students were in awe of Siwon’s eloquence in the subject. And they had gotten the opportunity to witness it live through an unsuspecting volunteer.

After the class was dismissed, Kyuhyun was woken up. He had literally had the shock of his life when he found probes sticking out of his hair. Although he had thrown a fit for being used as a lab rat, Siwon was laughing at him in a rather amused way. Kyuhyun couldn’t help but blush more out of embarrassment ‘coz now he would become the laughing stock of the entire campus. All because of this lunatic professor who refuses to stay out of his hair.

“I am sorry” came the genuine apology from Siwon. His dimples were highly distracting.

He then proceeded to remove the probes when Kyuhyun had actually gotten aware of their physical closeness.

“You are always sleepy these days. Not getting enough sleep?” he asked Kyuhyun.

“You wouldn’t understand professor” He got up to leave as Siwon removed the last of the probes.

“Oh come on Kyuhyun! I am actually offended that you think I wouldn’t understand! I specialize in sleep related issues for Christ’s sake!” It was a first seeing Siwon become frustrated.

“Why do you do this?” There. He popped the question.

“Why do I do what?” Siwon urged him.

“Why do you always go out of your way to help me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter