The Meister's Train

Meister's Institute of Thaumaturgy

 


 

Henry grumbled, standing at the Platform 10 3/4 of the Seoul Metro. He is early as usual for the departure time of the train that would take him to his new magic school in this corner of the world. His luggages have already been stowed somewhere in the train, once he surrendered it to the porter, assured that it'll be delivered to his assigned room in his assigned Manse. All he had left on him was a small duffel bag of personal stuff and his violin case.

Just seventeen, him and his parents had finally found a school for higher magical learning fit for his kind of magic specialty. He'd been around a lot of magic schools and music schools ever since he turned seven, his magic savvy parents keen on giving him the best training ever since they found out his specialty is the Encantata, the creation and use of musical spells. He had no love for the violin and the piano when he had his first lessons at four years old (he wasn't even in daycare at that time) but they would prove necessary as he grew up and progressed in his specialty, as well as learning the more common magical spells and curses taught in the magic schools in Canada. The year before last, he breezed through his OWLs and then spent last year as the gap year deciding what he wanted to do where his magic skills are concerned.

So today, June 1st, he found himself at the Platform 10 3/4 to take the train that would bring him to the Meister's Institute of Thaumaturgy - a school for higher magical learning which offered an Apprenticeship in Encantata. Europe had schools for higher learning which offered the course, but it relied heavily on the classics and the orchestra instruments, which Henry had, bless his precocious soul, already mastered. But at the Meister's, Henry couldn't wait to get his hands on the region's rich crop of ancient and modern music and musical instruments that gave oriental, ethnic music its particular Asian flavor.

At seventeen, he was supposedly too young to enter the Meister's whose student populace were generally already adults at nineteen years old and above. But he aced his auditions, as well as already having a sizable portfolio of originally created musical spells, some specific to a musical instrument, some generic, and some are even the musical versions of the common spells and curses, so he was already a shoo in for the program.

He is grumbling because the heat in Seoul at this time of the year is unbearable. He is sweating just wearing a white shirt and blue jeans. As soon as he got rid of his luggage, he bought himself a burger meal for a couple of Sickles, taking a long swig at the soda drink that came with it. He felt marginally better.

His luggage consisting of cases and cases of musical instruments plus suitcases of clothes and books was a nightmare to deal with earlier. He couldn't verily enter the Meister's without his "wands" in tow but his sister Amber lost his trunk (don't ask how) equipped with an Undetectable Extension Charm days before he left Canada for South Korea and there was no time to procure a new one. It was purchased in the United Kingdom when he visited the Diagon Alley on their way to Hogwarts with their dad back when they were looking into him getting transferred (but finally didn't) to that magic school. So he was forced to cart off his belongings via the conventional baggage check in, up until wheeling his cargo and himself through the hidden wall at the Seoul Metro which opened to the Platform 10 3/4.

Platform 10 3/4 is a modern train station, unlike the Platform 9 3/4 back in the United Kingdom with its old world charm. The Koreans liked modern stuff (even Korean magi), at least where the utilities are concerned, so the station went on a continuous upgrade, usually mirroring the improvements of the Seoul Metro, so there seemed no difference once a magus gets through to the Platform 10 3/4. Well, maybe the difference is that the Platform 10 3/4 is an open-air station, whereas the Seoul Metro is a subway station - the abrupt transition from dim light to bright light was rather disconcerting (and vice-versa, when returning from Meister's) but the Korean magi as a whole refused to put the Platform 10 3/4 underground.

The Meister's Train is a sleek, modern high-speed train, painted all black with a band of red running down its length, the Meister's logo prominently painted in the center of each train car's side and displayed as a grille metalwork at the front of the engine. Milling about the area were wizards and witches ranging from neophytes to seniors donning their Manse's colors. Some without a Manse color are obviously neophytes. 

Though also a neophyte, Henry already had his school apparel in the red and gold colors and patterns of his assigned Manse, where all non-Korean students are automatically housed. He'd bypass the Sorting, too, though he will attend the Meister's combined Neophyte Welcome and Apprentice Sendoff dinner. He crinkled his nose. While he wished he could have been sorted into any of the Manses at Meister's, the institute had to consider that foreign students had to enter South Korea via the very Muggle concept of Immigration, and as such, were subject to South Korean diplomatic policy applicable to the foreign student's home country. Made it easier for the institute to put them in one Manse.

A booming voice reverberated across the platform. "All aboard the Meister's Train! All aboard the Meister's Train!"

Henry hurriedly finished the burger he was snacking on, hoisting his duffel bag and violin case as he made his way to one of the cars assigned to neophytes, near the front of the train. He saw a few already sporting colors of their assigned Manse, mostly South Koreans who attended Hogwarts and other magic schools which houses are considered cousin Manses in the Meister's. All the other older students sorted themselves by year getting into their assigned cars.

The modern and plush interior of the Meister's Train is split down the middle by an aisle, with cushioned seats on each side of the aisle sectioned off in groups of four, a table dividing the facing seats. Since the area wasn't separated into booths, there was a general cacophony brought about by new people getting acquainted with each other - some reminiscing over shared stories if they came from the same magic school, some eagerly going around introducing themselves, some getting a shut-eye as soon as they found a seat, most entertaining themselves one way or the other - ears plugged to mobiles either listening to music, or watching a show. For some, like Henry, continued to maneuver around the crush of eager neophyte bodies on a hunt for an available seat. Henry occasionally smiled at a new face or two on his journey down the aisle before he found what could be an available window seat.

"Hi!" Henry beamed at the delicate-looking purple-haired wizard seated on the aisle seat, who was comfortably reclining against the cushioned backrest, facing the back direction of the Meister's train. Another wizard was already seated across him, blue-haired this time with a bored look on his face and a blanket already covering him. Beside Blue Hair is another wizard with blonde hair and sharp features, already biding his time with his laptop playing Magicraft.

"Is that seat taken?" Henry asked, indicating the window seat.

Purple Hair slightly shook his head, giving him a pursed smile while Blond Gameboy just indicated for him to take the seat. Henry did so, stowing his violin case carefully up at the overhead storage bin, noting Blond Gameboy's interest at the case. Henry noticed that Blond Gameboy already donned his Manse colors, wearing the long-sleeved V-neck grey sweater of the Manse with its blue collar and sleeves, and the hawk emblem over the left . The single stripe on the cuff was the only indicator he's still a neophyte. Henry was reminded to put on his own jacket, the train's air-conditioned interior cold compared to the heat outside.

Henry took the window seat, introducing himself around. "I'm Henry, from Canada," he said in his best Korean, holding out a hand for a handshake and first offering it to the blue jacket.

"Kyuhyun, just from Seoul." Blonde Gameboy shook Henry's hand just before he looked over to Blue Hair, who deigned to take Henry's hand, though Blue Hair did put up a small wave to acknowledge him. "And this would be my neighbor in Seoul, Kibum."

Henry still smiled, undeterred by the rather cold reception by Kibum, who still seemed unsorted as he wasn't wearing any Manse colors. He finally turned to Purple Hair, noting the small and delicate hands that received his handshake.

"I'm Ryeowook, from Incheon." The voice, like everything else about him, was delicate.

A whistle blew, then the Meister's Train started traveling north, soon leaving the cityscape for the countryside. Unlike the other magic schools Henry has been to, this is the first time he would set foot at the Meister's. He and his parents hadn't exactly put off making a decision as soon as they saw the institute offering Encantata, and all Henry knew is that the campus is located near the Korean DMZ, in an area quiet unknown to Muggles, at the curve of the Imjin River, which is named Sturmwold in the magical world.

The train followed the curve of the Imjin River all the way north where Henry assumes it nears the Korean DMZ. It's a fairly monotonous countryside scene, as Henry came to learn - the whole train ride composed of looking out a very green scenery lining the banks of the Imjin, sporadically interspersed with what looked like rice paddies if not fish ponds. There was very little structure to see this north, this near to the DMZ. They crossed a couple of bridges, but the roads are altogether quiet, a far cry from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Henry would have fallen asleep if not for the general chatter in the train of neophytes getting acquainted with other neophytes. It seemed like he was the only one interested with the scenery, well, at least until it bored him.

He looked at his purple-haired seatmate. "So, are you a Metamorphmagus?" he asked, waving at the purple hair.

Ryeowook just combed his curly hair with fingers, shaking his head. "It's just dyed purple."

Henry's mouth could only form an oh.

"You say you're Canadian, but how come you don't look Canadian?" Kyuhyun asked from across him. Henry could see Kyuhyun still playing, his 3D gaming avatar chasing the enemy avatar as it scampered on the table around the laptop, before Kyuhyun's screen hid the gory conclusion from Henry's view.

Henry just grinned. "Chinese descent. The parental units migrated out from Hong Kong, raised me and my sister in Canada."

Ryeowook was quickly interested with Henry's Chinese heritage. "You speak Chinese, even if you are Canadian? Your Korean's good, by the way."

Henry kept grinning. "Mandarin, mostly - I still have trouble with Cantonese and Fookien. I'm learning languages, figured it'd be a boon to my coursework."

Ryeowook suddenly chattered away in Mandarin, causing Kibum to look at him as if he'd grown horns. His stare darted to Henry, who also replied in the same language. He looked over at Kyuhyun, who was characteristically concentrated listening to the two, his game forgotten at the moment. When there was a lull in the conversation, they were all surprised when Kyuhyun in with a slow, carefully enunciated version of the language. Kibum decided to put up the blanket over his head and sleep.

"You brought a violin with you," Kyuhyun switched to Korean this time. "For your coursework?" he asked Henry.

Henry nodded. "And other musical instruments. I'm studying Encantata. I just have no idea why the Meister's put it under the 'Center for Transmogrification Thaumaturgy' along with Magic Design Technology and Magical Food Technology; every other magic school in Europe puts it under Music, or the Classics."

Kyuhyun laughed. "Your center at least has cool offerings. Take mine, so boring - Center for Tactics and Legal Thaumaturgy. Apprenticeship in Magic, Magical and Magician's Law."

"Whoa, you're studying to be a legal wizard! How cool is that! But why not go straight to being an Auror?"

"Nah, my family's magic is more known to work on magical contracts and the like - I leave the fieldwork and enforcement to would-be Aurors. I mean, I'll probably need some courses on magical jujitsu but nothing as hardcore as Aurors. Though if I'd had my way, I'd relish being an apprentice for Spellsong but we figured I can already sing, I'm better off learning the law behind the spells."

Henry nodded. "I was considering Spellsong, too, but Encantata is more challenging, and it does encompass both vocal and musical spells. If I need a singer, I'll get you." He turned to Ryeowook. "And how about you? What are taking up at Meister's?"

"Medical Magic," Ryeowook replied.

"Oh?" Kyuhyun interjected. "I understand that Medical Magic in Meister's will only qualify you to be a Mediwizard, not a Healer."

Ryeowook smiled. "That's ok, that's what I wanted. Becoming a Healer will take more years and apprenticeships than being a Mediwizard. But it's a start. Right now, I'm more inclined to patient care than diagnosis. But who knows, I might want to eventually become a Healer."

"You and Kibum will be in the same center then - he's studying Alchemy." Kyuhyun indicated the sleeping wizard beside him.

"Great, at least I now know one wizard who can whip me up a couple of elixirs on emergency."

The rest of the train ride was spent in small talk, mostly of where each of them came from. Only Kyuhyun attended Hogwarts, a former Ravenclaw, and Henry understood why he was already sorted into his Manse. Kibum and Ryeowook are home-schooled, coming from families with wizards and witches - they only had to take a specific assessment for their chosen coursework before getting accepted into Meister's. Since Kibum was mostly asleep, it was Kyuhyun who volunteered the information.

"I had to send in an audition video and portfolio," Henry related his entrance requirements experience. "They weren't going to allow a seventeen year old to study there, much less be an apprentice for that coursework, without knowing I'm qualified."

"Mwo? You're only seventeen? And you've already taken a gap year at that?" Ryeowook asked. "You started studying young."

"Been learning instruments since four, and I'm considered a prodigy. Got into my first magic school at seven for the basics before I transferred at nine to a more musically inclined magic school."

"So you do magic only with music?" Kyuhyun asked, intrigued. There were verbal and silent spells, also spellsongs, but he'd rarely come across musical magic.

"Oh no - that's rather too much for daily, common magic. I can do the usual casting. What we study are the musical forms, and the creation of those forms... doesn't really mean you can only do magic using music once you've done Encantata."

"Ah, so you can also do magic with music."

Henry noticed Kyuhyun having a precise way of saying things, instead of leaving things vague. Kyuhyun laughed when Henry pointed it out.

"Well, the unofficial first rule of magic is 'Be careful what you wish for'. If one is a wizard with the power of a Bonder, being precise with words is sort of a requirement."

Then everyone in the Meister's train got the announcement to place lunch orders, menus appearing on their tables. Henry looked out the window, greeted by the still green monotonous scenery he ignored earlier. Kyuhyun got busy waking Kibum, to get his lunch order.

The back of their neophyte car opened to Meister's students rolling empty carts down the aisle. They were all wearing uniforms of different Manse colors but all had similar three stripes on their cuffs. Juniors then. Henry got curious what they were doing here.

The hefty yellow jacket Junior assigned to their section announced. "Hello fresh meat, I'm Shindong, junior apprentice for Magical Food Technology. As you know, the house-elves are back at the Meister's, so it's our job to get you the food on the Meister's train. Wizards and Witches, lunch is served." A cheer went up and down the aisle with the announcement.

The empty food cart magically filled with food ordered by the sections Shindong is assigned to, Henry's group included. Even as the big junior was snapping fingers calling out their orders and the food magically appearing, he also made sure each student got their right order, as well as granting requests for special sauces.

Kibum just held Shindong's stare when he ordered additional guacamole with his club sandwich, to everyone else's amazement. Well, maybe except for Kyuhyun who would know how the quiet wizard can be very particular with his food.

"Guacamole coming up." Shindong finally said, snapping his fingers and the green stuff appearing on the cart.

Kibum didn't smile but his suddenly stress-free face getting his guacamole was enough indicator he was happy with his meal. Shindong moved on to the next section as the rest of them thanked him.

Henry spent the rest of the ride after lunch napping. They wouldn't reach the first Meister's stop until mid-afternoon and the surprisingly heavy pasta meal he had was lulling him into a food coma, along with the hypnotic movement of the train.

He missed when the train finally made the turn along the Imjin River across the Airehawke Ravine, which constitutes the boundary of the Meister's campus. The Imjin River curves onward southwest but the Meister's train stops following the river's curve at that junction. The Meister's train cuts across land this time, traveling northwest to the first train stop.

Henry wakes just in time as the Meister's train rolled to a stop. The non-neophyte foreign students started offloading at Station Immigration.

 


__________________
© higashinoumi (http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/1108258), 2016. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to higashinoumi (http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/1108258) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.