Finale

Scored

"Wait, what?" Your jaw dropped, as your friend grimaced. "Sorry, it's just that.. Jeonghan asked me to a duet with him for the test, and I couldn't say no! This is my one chance.." She looked away, scratching the nape of her neck. "But I'm partnered with Choi Hansol! That's probably the worst person I could be partnered with for this test!" You exploded, throwing your hands up in the air. Other students who walked by ignored you, although some gave you strange glances.

You'd been down with a twenty-four hour flu bug, and rested in bed the entire day, missing the music class. Your teacher had given the class a briefing about an upcoming test, where you'd have to work in pairs. Unfortunately for you, your friend decided to ditch you for the love of her life, Yoon Jeonghan.

That left you with Choi Hansol.

Choi Hansol was the only kid in your class who chose an instrument that really stood out. He played the electrical guitar, following his passion for rock music. You, on the other hand, were a violin player, with a love for classical music. You detested rock music, and Hansol detested classical. And of course, you would be partnered with him instead of the dreamy Joshua Hong, who had a preferrence for acoustic guitar strumming, and was good at plucking at heartstrings. Groaning, you left your friend behind, and proceeded to look for Hansol.


Despite being a Saturday, you found Hansol in the music room, practising, having followed the familiar chords of the electric guitar.

"Huh, yeah. We do have to work together. Great timing, I was gonna look for you." Hansol grinned, putting his guitar back on its stand. "I have absolutely no clue what we're going to do together, Hansol." You sighed, slumping on a nearby couch. "Well, I was thinking we could do a rock cover of Nate Smith's Let It Go. It sounds pretty sweet, and his chords are amazing."

"Hansol, no! I won't do a rock cover!"

"Then what, are we going to do some lame classic song, like Canon in D?"

"At least you know what Canon in D is, come on! I can't play any other kind of rock instrument!"

"I really don't think this is going to work out."

"Neither do I!"

Standing up and turning on your heel, you left Hansol by himself in the music room. Face burning red, and heart beating at a speed faster than a whole bar of semi-quavers, to say you were mad would be an understatement. Hansol made you angry in ways you never felt before, pushing all the wrong buttons, or in this case, wrong keys. Slamming the door to your dorm room, you threw yourself on the bed. So many things did not go your way today, and you had to practise for the test! After lying there in self pity for a good half an hour, you decided to source for a song you and Hansol could perform together.


"Hansol, Hansol, Hansol!" You called out for him as soon as you saw him walking down the hallway, guitar strapped to his back. He turned around, and rolled his eyes. "What do you want now?" As you approached him, his eyes widened. Locking eyes with you, he noticed there was a bright spark there he hadn't seen earlier in the day. "I found a song we can play together, come on!" You nearly whacked him with your violin case out of excitement, but Hansol didn't mind this time. As long as you could get the test song ready for performing.

After dragging him back into the practise room, you pulled out your violin, and some sheet music. Handing a tiny stack of sheet music to Hansol, you rested your violin on your shoulder. "Want to try?" You smiled at him, and he grinned right back. "Love to."

Playing through the song once gave you both chills, the song mashed classical and rock together into one musical masterpiece. You definitely had to give credit to whoever made this. You began to pack up, and Hansol did too. "So, practise tomorrow?" He spoke, while sliding his guitar back into its case. "Definitely." He walked you back to your dorm room, then headed in the opposite direction to go back to his. "Not courteous to let a lady walk back to her room by herself, right? Something Joshua told me a while back, but I never had to opportunity to take up his advice on it."


The next day, Hansol arrived earlier than you did. He was tuning his guitar, and testing out what seemed like a new pick. "Cool pick, who got it for you?" Hansol looked up and let a smile spread across his face. "Nah, I bought it. Just when the shop opened this morning, I saw it, and it reminded me of something special." A bright red ruby pick was in his hands, and you smiled. Ruby red was always a beautiful colour. Taking out your violin and prepping it, you and Hansol started practising together.

A while later, Hansol and you were taking a break. "Hey, wanna go grab some lunch?" You groaned, "Yes, we've been here for hours. I need a break." "I know this really good noodle place, and my sources tell me you like those?" You could have hugged Hansol. You did, in fact, love noodles. "Sure, I love them. Let's go!"


While you were slurping up your ramyeon, you noticed Hansol staring at his bowl, not eating. "Hansol, is something the matter?" You placed your hand on his, and he jolted up. "Yeah, sorry, I was just daydreaming. I'm probably just tired." You retracted your hand, and continued to eat. "We can rest for the day, the test is in two weeks." Hansol shook his head, "Music is important to me, I'm sure it is to you too. I want to perfect this piece, and practise until I hit every single one of those notes. And if I can, do special renditions here and there while we perform."

You had to say, you did love a guy with determination.


Hours of practise later, it was evening time. Hansol and you had finished practise for the day, and were carrying your instruments around. Saying he'd walk you back to the dorm again, Hansol was right by your side. He stopped at the vending machine to get some strawberry milk for you, and chocolate milk for himself. Sipping on the milk he'd given you, you swung your case back and forth, just slightly.

"You know, Joshua gave me some strange advice today. He said if you're out at night with a girl, and you see the stars, you gotta tell her she belongs up there. He said that any girl that'd be a cool friend of mine can be my personal star. Strange, isn't he? But he gets all the girls, so I guess his advice works." Vernon nudged you slightly, and flashed you his signature charming grin.

Having the grace to let a slight blush cross your cheeks, you slugged him in the shoulder. "Put a rest on it, Hansol." He just laughed, and rolled his eyes, but this time, with a different meaning. "You make terrible puns, did you know?" You nodded, "Well, I guess you could say so. Although people usually cringe instead of laughing." He shrugged, patting your head. "Well, we reached your dorm room. Oh, and by the way, Joshua gave me another cool piece of advice." "Hmm, what is it?"

"When you walk the girl you like back to her dorm room, don't forget to give her a kiss."

Hansol leaned forward, and pressed his lips to your forehead.

"Goodnight, and see you tomorrow during practise."

As Hansol walked off, your face turned pink, matching your strawberry milk. Hansol.. liked you romantically? That was a huge shock to you, considering, it's Hansol. You both were pretty much opposites, him being the quiet rock lover, and you being the loud classical lover.

Opposites do attract, huh?


Hansol didn't talk to you about what he'd done the next day, and you weren't sure whether to be disappointed or not. Shrugging it off, you continued to practise with Hansol everyday for the next few weeks. Inserting your own special remixes here and there, you were delighted to find out that the piece did help bring out the electric guitar and the violin at the same time. You might have to turn down the volume output on the guitar though.

After you finished packing your violin back in its case, you turned to Hansol and grinned. "It's a wrap, just keep practising and we'll definitely get an A. Only two more days left." He smiled, looking down. "Hey, you alright?" You ducked right into his vision of sight, and he flinched. "Yeah, sorry. I was kinda spacing out like usual. Just me?" He rubbed the nape of his neck, cheeks tinted pink.

Spending so much time with Hansol made you realise exactly how charming he was. He didn't have many friends because he wasn't as outgoing as people thought he would be. Quiet, but once you got to know him, he was a really good friend. Maybe, even more? You didn't realise you had blanked out, staring at his face. He'd been waving his hand in front of your face, calling your name, and even leaning closer to check for a reaction.

Snapping out of it, you jolted up, something Hansol often did, and slipped on a wire connected to a nearby speaker. Hansol reached out to catch you, but the momentum was too much for him, and he fell too. Right on top of you. Hansol propped himself up using his arms, face completely red. You covered your face, and Hansol laughed. Standing up, he helped you get off the floor.

"Even when you trip, you're still cute. Too bad you fell for the wire and not me." He snorted, in a joking manner. You slugged him in the shoulder, and he patted your head. "Sorry, sorry." You had to leave early today, and Hansol insisted on escorting you to wherever you needed to go.

He was mostly worried about you meeting any cute boys, really.


"Hey, you came on time! Who's this with you?" Your science classmate was seated at a table in a cafe you both agreed to meet at. "This is my friend, Hansol. He just wanted to bring me here." You smiled, giving Hansol a hug, something that became normal for the both of you. Hansol kissed the top of your head, and your classmate glared at him. "So, you guys dating, or?"

"Yeah, we are."

Hansol smiled, an obviously fake smile. "If you don't mind, babe. I'm going to sit here while you finish your project. You said there was only a bit left, right?" Hansol sat across your classmate, his face cold. "Sure, I don't see any problem as long as you be quiet." Taking out your laptop, you began to edit the presentation for your project.

"If we change the border here, it'll really make the colour of words pop."

"Can I put some pictures here? This'll help it look more visually appealing."

"How about changing the font on this slide, it makes it look unique, attracting attention to this point."

"Alright, I think we're pretty much done." You sighed, resting your head on Hansol's shoulder. You had no clue why Hansol said the two of you were dating, but you rolled with it. At this point, you were pretty much no longer in self denial, and admitted you like him openly. After admitting it, the two of you got a lot more comfortable with each other, leading to random skinship here and there. Hansol smiled, and you turned off your laptop. "Thanks, I'm glad we finally got to finish this." Your classmate nodded, and waved you off.


"He obviously liked you." Hansol was grumbling about your classmate, and you laughed. "So what, Hansol. I don't like him that way at all, in fact, I find him a little annoying. He barely does anything, and just pretends to." Sighing, Hansol put his arm around your shoulder. "Tell your teacher, or something. He doesn't deserve any credit. Besides, we're in like what, high school now? It's not fair if he gets all the credit for your work."

"You deserve better than a guy like that."

You wondered if Hansol was referring to partner project work, or something else.


"Ready, Hansol?" You were nervous, and kept biting on your lower lip. "I'm fine, we practised so much I don't even need the chords anymore." He nudged you, and you sighed. "It's just my nerves acting up as usual." Hansol patted your head, something he did to comfort you. "Well, the way I see it, we put in all our effort, and even added our special reditions to make this work. Come on, this is practically our masterpiece." Nodding, you held up your violin. "Classical Rock Team, ready to go."

"That's my girl."


After you left the test room, you breathed out. "That was amazing, Hansol. It sounded so good!" "Well, of course it did! Told you we made a masterpiece." You would have hugged him, but you had your precious violin in your hands. "We should go out and celebrate, Hansol!"

"Let's meet at the fountain near the gate at around 1, okay? I'll be there." He ran off, leaving you behind, all smiles.

"What should I wear?" You dashed in the opposite direction, trying to get back to your dorm as quickly as possible.


An hour later, you were standing next to the fountain, wearing your favourite coat and scarf. It was cold out, and you wanted to be as warm as possible. Hansol burst out the doors of the building nearby, and ran up to you. "Hey, am I late? Sorry, I got caught up in something important.." You shook your head, "Not even a minute late, Hansol." He sighed in relief, and you laughed. "Where'd you wanna go in this weather?" You scrunched up your face, nose slightly red from the cold. He grinned, pulling out a nicely wrapped box from his pocket.

"I thought you'd like it, so I got this for you." Your eyes widened, and he handed you the box. "Go ahead, open it." Tearing off the wrapping paper, you found yourself holding a small baby blue box. When you opened the small box, you threw your arms around Hansol. "This is beautiful, where did you even get this?" He hugged you tightly, "It took me a while, but I found it anyway."

"But Hansol, we've been practising until about 9 in the evening every day since we got partnered up! How did you even find the time to get this?" He shrugged, "It was no big deal, I just went after we finished practising." Smacking him lightly, you sniffled. "How long did it take you to find this? You must've been so tired." Hansol kissed the top of your head, and smiled. "Like I said, a while. But you're more than worth it."

Hansol had given you a necklace with a silver violin pendant, and a finely engraved one at that. You knew it couldn't have been that cheap, and you were grateful. "How dare you, Choi Hansol. You won't even give me a chance!" Hansol raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean?"

"You won't even give me the chance to say I like you, idiot!"

Hansol picked you up and spun you around. "Really?" You nodded, clutching onto him tightly. "This is the best day ever!" He ran around, fistpumping, and you laughed. Hansol was always such a 4D person. He pressed his lips to your cheek, then continued to run around. "You're gonna catch a cold, idiot!" Pulling him back into the comfort of the warm building, you sighed.

"Hey, can you really blame me? I'm so happy that you like me. I know this is totally going to ruin the moment and all, but I'm going to do something you'd go ahead and do." He grinned cheekily, and you frowned. "What are you doing to do, Hansol?"

"If you agreed to be my girlfriend, does that mean I scored?"

And you proceeded to beat the crap out of him.


[A/N: Alright, this is done! Probably the longest (?) oneshot I've written to date, and wow. I'm surprised at how motivated I was to write this. Did anyone get all the musical puns? (I'm so sorry you must be cringing so hard) Thanks for reading, and do check out some of my other work!

Loads of love,
Nic ]