Chapter 1 - PROLOGUE

Wide Awake

Shock followed by a streak of pain radiating throughout my whole body. It was a foreign and unpleasant feeling and the muscles in my face tightened as a result. A steady pulse started to travel from my head to my toes and it continued on like a metronome, continuous and uninterrupted. My body continued to radiate with pain during each pulse but something else caught my attention. Whispers. They were coming from around me and sounded pretty clear in my ears.

I tried to move my arms but they felt heavy, as if they were filled with mounds of wet sand. I felt scared now, taking in a shaky breath. Unfortunately that hurt as well because my lungs were extremely sore, as if I haven't taken a breath in a long time.

"H-Hello?" A male voice asked.

My head twitched to the side a little and I kept breathing in and out, despite the uncomfortable pain.

"Can you understand me?" The same voice asked.

I could understand him but it was hard getting my mouth and voice to work properly. I found out that every part of my body was uncomfortably sore and it only made me more nervous and scared.

I was finally able to open my mouth and move my extremely sore tongue. My vocal cords vibrated as I spoke and even that hurt.

"...y-yes." My voice cracked.

An excited murmur passed over me as I tried to open my eyes. There was an intense light shining right on me and I immediately clamped them shut, squirming a bit from the sudden pain in my eyes.

"T-the light is too bright! Please turn it off!" Another panicked voice urged.

Through my closed eyes, I saw the light dim and then disappear quickly. It felt a little better on my eyes but the radiating pain I felt with each passing heartbeat still remained.

"This is too amazing..." Another voice muttered.

I felt something touch my arm and it took me by surprise. The feeling of someone else's touch seemed like a big deal to my brain and I felt very shaken up as a result.

"What is your name?" The man who asked for the lights to be turned off asked me.

As if it was imprinted in my mind, my mouth opened once again. I was ready to respond but had to struggle through my shaky voice and burning throat.

"L-Lee...Taemin." I managed to say before my face contorted in more pain. I didn't want to speak anymore.

"Can't we give him some painkillers?" The man touching my arm sounded very upset. "He's obviously in a lot of pain!"

"The pain will pass. He just needs to get his body moving." One of the other men said.

The man touching my arm didn't answer but his moved his hand away from my arm, making me take in another sharp breath. I wanted to know why I was in so much pain and why I was surrounded by a group of men asking me questions and talking to each other like I was some kind of specimen.

"...what do we do now?" One of the men asked quietly.

There was a short silence except for my hard breathing. It was still a bit painful but I noticed it started to subside with each breath I took.

"...let him rest. Then after an hour or two, we'll ask him some more questions." One of them replied.

This seemed to make everyone comply and I heard footsteps that lead away from where I was laying. The steps sounded very loud in my ears and they also filled me with wonder about where I was.

But soon all the wonder and curiosity I was feeling gradually drained out of my head in a matter of seconds. I was fast asleep before I could even feel sleepy.