Excellent Service

The Perfect Date

 Mark carefully adjusted his collar and flattened his shirt. He looked towards the restaurant across the street before checking his watch. He was fifteen minutes late for his date. Even though his date was probably waiting for him inside, Mark patiently waited for the street light to change. The crossing signal flashed and the cars came to a halt. Mark slowly made his way across. He reached the entrance of the establishment and paused to fix his hair in the window. His reflection showed his white t-shirt with a burgundy neck, his jean jacket, black pants, a silver pendant dangling from his neck, and a silver watch on his wrist. When he finally felt satisfied with his appearance, he walked in. As soon as he walked through the double doors he could feel the girls in the restaurant turn to look at him. A mischievous smile played at his lips while he moved toward the employees at the desk. 

“I have a reservation under ‘Tuan’,” Mark said.

The oldest employee typed something into the computer and gave a welcoming smile.

“Ah, yes. This is your waiter, Jinyoung. He will take care of you today,” The host introduced the younger boy.

Jinyoung reached into the desk and pulled out two menus. He bowed towards Mark and gestured for him to follow. The two walked through the dimly lit room and reached a booth at the back. Mark stopped and looked into the table with a perplexed expression.

“Uh, sorry. Wasn’t there someone waiting here?” Mark asked.

Jinyoung placed the menus on the table and adjusted the centerpiece.

“No. You’re the first one. Your reservation is for two, right?” Jinyoung turned to ask Mark. 

Mark nodded reassuringly and slid into the booth. He told his waiter that he would wait for his date to show up, so Jinyoung excused himself to serve another customer. Mark pulled out his phone and checked his messages. His inbox was empty. He sighed and thrummed his fingers on the table. A group of girls sitting near by kept straining their heads to turn and look at him. Mark gave a quick wave and they bursts into a fit of giggles. Their laughing was cut short when Jinyoung approached their table with their drinks on a tray. All their attention shifted to the cute worker and they sweetly thanked him. Mark noticed how Jinyoung stayed focused on his job despite all the flirtatious stares the girls kept throwing at him. For fifteen minutes, Mark watched his waiter tend the surrounding booths until he finally got a call from his date.

“Hey, where are you?” Mark rapidly sat up to answer.

“I’m sorry, Mark,” the voice on the phone started.

“It’s okay. Just come quickly,” Mark interjected.

“No, I’m really sorry. I don’t think this is going to work,” the call ended with a click.

Mark removed the phone from his ear and stared at the black screen. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he tried to process the brief conversation. Mark slumped in his seat and realized he had just been stood up. A bitter laugh escaped his lips; this has never happened to him before. Just as he was gathering his things, Jinyoung approached his table with a cup of iced tea. 

“I didn’t order that,” Mark stated.

“I know. You’ve been here a while though, and you must be thirsty. Don’t worry it’s on the house,” Jinyoung replied.  

“Thank you,” Mark beamed at the considerant server, “I was actually just leaving.”

Jinyoung noticed the empty seat across from Mark and quickly registered what had just happened. 

“Wait, my shift ends soon. You want to do something later?” Jinyoung hastily asked.

Mark turned his head in thought. He considered the proposal. He was already dressed, and it was still early in the day. 

“I mean, I don’t really have anything planned to do later,” Jinyoung added slowly. He felt himself blush slightly. He placed the drink on the table and prompted Mark to accept it.

“Neither do I,” Mark responded. He reached for the iced tea and took a sip.

“I’ll be out in ten minutes,” the dark-haired waiter announced. He stepped away from the booth and continued to finish his shift

Mark patiently sat and waited. He finished his tea and hummed lightly. Jinyoung came out of the break room a few minutes later wearing a black hoodie with the white adidas logo. His light jeans were ripped and he had on a black beanie. Mark eyed and appreciated the transformation; he stood up from his seat and met Jinyoung. When they walked out of the restaurant together, the girls from the table watched with their jaws on the floor.

“Didn't you just break all of your followers’ hearts by walking out with me like that?” Mark questioned the figure walking in front of him. 

Jinyoung stopped walking and pouted his lips in consideration. He turned his head towards Mark and nodded.

“No, why would it? Isn't it normal for two guys to hang out?” Jinyoung chuckled.

“Uh, right,” Mark cleared his throat and moved towards the street light. “So, where are we going?” 

The cross light blinked a dull red. Mark tangled his fingers in his necklace and unwinded it. He played with the chain until Jinyoung grabbed his arm and pulled him away from the cross walk. 

“We’re not going that way,” Jinyoung said as he dragged Mark down the street. 

He pulled the startled boy by the arm until they reached an alley entrance. The scenery had transformed from a busy and populated area to a dark and secluded street. Mark stopped and gazed into the graffiti b walls. He tried to move his hands away but noticed that his necklace was still intertwined between his fingers. Mark instinctively threw his opposite hand to his neck to discover that the entire pendant had ripped off. 

“Are you okay?” Jinyoung’s concerned voice drifted softly. 

Mark jumped in surprise when he felt Jinyoung tentatively touch his hand. 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you,” Jinyoung utterted. 

He grabbed onto Mark’s wrist with his left hand and started to untangle the chain with his right. Jinyoung lifted the necklace to reveal red trails embracing Mark’s hand. Jinyoung brought the pendant up to dangle in front of Mark’s eyes. 

“I’ll fix this for you,” Jinyoung insisted. 

Jinyoung put the broken item in his pocket and wrapped both his hands around Mark’s. He attempted to rub away some of the fading redness. His beanie shifted slightly when he tilted his head to look closely at the lines. 

“I’m alright,” Mark sheepily removed his hands and rubbed his neck in embarrassment, “thank you.” 

Jinyoung gasped and moved his hands towards Mark’s neck. Mark froze with his feet rooted to the concrete. When he saw Jinyoung bite his lip, Mark instinctively closed his eyes and took a sharp breath. 

“Your neck is all red too. I’m sorry,” Jinyoung softly expressed.

Mark’s eyes popped open and he quickly brushed off the incident. He revealed a charming smile that threw Jinyoung off guard.

“I’m fine. It was just an accident,” Mark nonchalantly reassured Jinyoung. 

Mark pulled away and instantly felt the cold absence of Jinyoung’s hand. He coughed and turned towards the intimidating alleyway. 

“So, are we going in there?” Mark asked as he strode into the backstreet.

 Despite the unwavering foul feeling the street gave him, Mark entered with confidence. He felt as if he needed to prove that he was unflustered. Jinyoung jogged up to Mark and pointed to a door a few steps ahead. 

“You must be hungry. Trust me, this is the best place to eat!” Jinyoung exclaimed confidently. 

Mark studied the entrance and the surrounding area. A trash can stumbled a few feet away and an animal darted out. Puddles of mysterious liquids dripped on the edges of the path. Mark even thought he saw a few needles scattered around a pile of beer bottles. 

“I can’t believe a waiter is advertising a restaurant that he doesn’t work for,” Mark joked. 

“The only good part about that restaurant is the service. After all, I work there,” Jinyoung winked. “This is a hidden treasure, you won’t find better tasting food.” 

Jinyoung opened the door to reveal tempting aromas and pleasing music. When they entered, Mark was surprised to find a live band playing on a stage. The entire interior was dimly lit with a mixture of purple and blue lighting. The booths were cushioned with black and the tables were glass. The atmosphere had completely transformed. 

“Cool, huh?” Jinyoung smirked. 

He led Mark to a booth before waving down a waiter to take their orders. When Jinyoung noticed that Mark was confused by the menu, Jinyoung ordered for the both of them. While they waited, they talked pointlessly. The subject constantly changed, but both the boys stayed entirely interested in the conversation. Laughter rang from their table and filled the entire restaurant with a joyful warmth. When the food finally arrived, Jinyoung didn’t hesitate to grab a random spoonful and shove it into Mark’s unsuspecting mouth. 

“How is it?” Jinyoung enthusiastically asked. He whole-heartedly wanted to impress his new friend.

Mark grabbed a napkin from the middle of the table and mindfully chewed. He smiled in between bites and threw two thumbs-up. When he finally swallowed, they both erupted in laughter. 

Without thinking about it, they kept sharing their meals. First, Mark would use his fork to take a piece, then he would use the same fork to give Jinyoung a bite. It was unclear who’s spoon belong to who since they unknowingly traded off. Even though Jinyoung and Mark met just a few hours ago, they acted as if they had known each other for years. 

After they finished eating, they walked out of the restaurant. The sun illuminated them, and it showed Mark’s imprints from the necklace on his neck. Inside the building the markings weren’t visible, but outside the red lines still traced his skin. 

“What is it?” Mark asked Jinyoung when he caught him staring.

“Nothing,” Jinyoung smiled, “let’s go to the park!” He quickly exclaimed.

He felt guilty for causing Mark to pull of his necklace, so Jinyoung felt obligated to treat Mark even more. Mark smiled back and nodded in agreement. At first, they walked quietly towards the park, but eventually they broke out into a race. 

Jinyoung screamed in victory when he pushed through the gates. Mark followed right behind him and fell on top of the grass laughing. Jinyoung threw himself next to Mark and took deep, shallow breaths. 

“Truth or dare?” Jinyoung asked through his labored breathing.

“What?” Mark turned his head towards Jinyoung.

“Which one do you pick, truth or dare?” Jinyoung repeated himself. He shifted his body to face Mark.

They were merely inches apart; their breathing pattern started to sync and their eyes locked together. 

“Truth,” Mark mouthed smugly. 

“What’s something you can’t live without?” 

“Water, no one can live three days without water.”

“You’re funny.” 

“Your turn,” Mark said.

“Truth.”

Mark turned his attention to the clouds before asking, “Would you ever date a guy?”

“Yes,” Jinyoung replied without hesitation. 

Mark felt his ears grow hot and his mouth go dry. 

“I pick dare,” Mark stated. 

Jinyoung sat up and laughed to himself. Mark stayed staring at the sky. The birds chirped noisily and flew across his vision. 

“I dare you…” Jinyoung started.

Mark closed his eyes and bit his lip in anticipation. What would Jinyoung have him do? For a second, all the birds in the park seemed to have gone quiet.

“I dare you to jump into the water fountain,” Jinyoung announced.

“You want me to do what?” Mark cried. As soon as he jumped up, the birds started their lively song again. 

“Go and jump into the fountain! You said you couldn’t live without water,” Jinyoung responded with a satisfied smile.

Jinyoung pointed towards the white structure. Mark groaned, but he stood up and pulled off his jacket. Jinyoung followed Mark and watched with childish excitement in his eyes. Mark reached the base of the fountain and looked back at Jinyoung. 

“Take off your shirt!” Jinyoung requested happily.

“Is that part of the dare?” Mark asked when he made eye contact.

“No, just a suggestion,” Jinyoung smirked. 

Mark decided to keep his shirt on and stepped onto the fountain. He could hear Jinyoung cheering behind him. A few people passing by turned to look at him, a few girls even pulled out their phone to record. Mark took a deep breath and leaped into the gushing water. The water enveloped every piece of him and surrounded him in it’s freezing grasp. When his head broke free, he could hear girlish giggles coming from the nearby benches. He gasped and looked up to find a shadow covering him. Jinyoung reached out his hand and helped Mark come out. Jinyoung was still chuckling when Mark completely stepped out of the water. 

“You’re making puddles,” Jinyoung pointed out brightly. 

Mark looked down to the ground to find that his clothes were dripping, almost raining, onto the ground. Jinyoung grabbed his hands and put his adidas sweater in Mark’s arms. Mark didn’t even notice Jinyoung had taken his hoodie off. 

“Go get dressed, you’re a mess,” Jinyoung laughed. 

Mark smiled back and walked towards the restrooms. Jinyoung threw Mark’s jacket over his shoulder and crossed his arms. He studied Mark’s back as he moved away. Mark’s white shirt stuck tightly to his figure and his blonde hair fell loosely. His skinny jeans seemed to have gotten tighter with the water. Jinyoung covered his face with his hand and laughed even harder. 

“Who jumps into the water with their shoes on?” Jinyoung asked himself as Mark’s squishing steps got further away. 

Mark quickly took off his shirt and threw on Jinyoung’s hoodie. Jinyoung’s scent drifted to Mark’s nose causing him to momentarily bring the fabric closer. Mark caught himself smelling the sweater and immediately stopped. He looked at himself in the mirror and tried fixing his hair. Inadvertently, Mark started to think about the question he had asked Jinyoung earlier. Would he really date a guy? Mark forced himself to cough loudly and repeatedly. He tried avoiding anymore of those thoughts and continued to adjust his hair. 

Mark stepped out of the restroom and found Jinyoung waiting for him outside. Jinyoung was leaning against the wall and scrolling through a cell phone. His beanie had slightly shifted to the side as if it were about to fall off. Mark walked up to him and adjusted the hat. Jinyoung stopped looking at the phone and cast his eyes on Mark. 

“What are you doing?” Jinyoung asked. 

“Fixing your beanie. It bugs me,” Mark remarked. 

Jinyoung smiled and continued to type away. Mark eventually noticed the phone and stopped moving the hat. 

“Is that my phone?” Mark asked. 

“Yeah, just adding my phone number. Why, you don’t want it?” Jinyoung inquired. 

“Oh, that’s fine. Add it,” Mark replied coolly. 

Mark stepped away to sit at a bench a few feet away from them. Jinyoung followed and handed the phone to Mark. Mark grabbed the phone with one hand and moved his wet hair with the other. Jinyoung’s eyes landed on Mark’s neck and he noticed that the outline from the necklace was still present. 

“Aren’t you cold? I’ll walk you home, or to the bus, or wherever,” Jinyoung offered. 

Mark wanted to say that he rather stay a while longer, but decided against it. 

“If you want. I live a few blocks from your restaurant,” Mark murmured. 

They got up when the sun started to go down. The blue sky was slowly being conquered by pink and orange light. Mark should’ve been shivering. His pants and shoes were damp, his hair was still heavy with water, and he wasn’t wearing a shirt under the sweater. Nevertheless, the wind barely affected him. Walking next to Jinyoung seemed to block out the cold. 

As they walked along, they pointed out random things that had the color red. Jinyoung had seen an umbrella, purse, jacket, business sign, and phone case. Mark mentioned a flower, dress, car, and street light. After a few shared jokes and stories, they finally reached Mark’s house. 

“I can name something else that is red,” Jinyoung commented suddenly. 

“What is it?” Mark stopped in front of his door. 

“Your neck,” Jinyoung uttered out.

“Oh, is it still visible?” Mark asked as he rubbed his hand around the imprinted image of the chain. 

“Yeah, sorry again,” Jinyoung replied shyly. 

Jinyoung walked up to Mark and inspected the area. He used his fingers to lightly rub the path that the marks had made. 

“Doesn’t it hurt?” Jinyoung asked. 

“No, it was just a little sore. Don’t worry,” Mark smiled reassuringly.

Jinyoung frowned and pressed down. Mark whined at the pressure and Jinyoung quickly apologized. Mark inadvertently moved closer causing Jinyoung to wrap his arms farther around Mark. 

“Are you sure it doesn’t hurt?” Jinyoung looked into Mark’s eyes. 

Mark nodded slowly, “it’s just sore,” he whispered. 

Before Jinyoung could stop himself, he leaned forward and started trailing kisses down the minor injury. Simultaneously, their eyes fluttered closed, and they pulled each other closer. Jinyoung's hands traveled from Mark’s nape down to the small of his back. Mark strained his neck to give Jinyoung’s lips more room to roam. A gentle moan escaped Mark’s mouth, encouraging Jinyoung to keep going. The tender kisses gingerly moved up to Mark’s jaw where Jinyoung’s tongue left evidence of it’s presence. Mark gasped and his eyes flew open. 

Jinyoung hastily pulled away and stared at Mark wide-eyed. 

“We’re lucky my neighbors rarely come out,” Mark snickered. 

Jinyoung’s cheeks changed color faster than the sky. His entire body was burning, and he didn’t know what to say next. 

“First, the pendant; now, you practically give me a hickey. You just can’t leave my neck alone, can you?” Mark joked smugly. 

Jinyoung regained his composure and winked. 

“At least I’m not the one who’s all wet,” Jinyoung smirked as he grabbed a strand of Mark’s dripping hair. 

Mark looked down at the ground and laughed. He lifted his eyes and moved his lips closer to Jinyoung’s ear.  

“Thank you for the perfect date,” Mark’s voice trailed fondly. 

“If you liked it so much, maybe we should go out again,” Jinyoung offered with an exaggerated shrug. 

“Well, I’ve never had a waiter give me such good service,” Mark teased. 

“It’s always polite to give a tip, you know?” Jinyoung mumbled lightly. 

Mark immediately knew what Jinyoung meant. He delicately placed his palms on Jinyoung’s cheeks. Mark wet his lips and felt Jinyoung’s hands move into the pockets of the adidas sweater. They became so intertwined that droplets from Mark’s hair fell onto Jinyoung’s nose. The drops would travel down and touch Jinyoung’s tongue when he opened his mouth to let Mark tug at his lower lip. 

Eventually they pulled away, but their hearts grew closer. Eventually they said good-bye, but their taste still lingered. Eventually Mark’s bruise healed, but Jinyoung replaced it with love bites.