Three... Two... One...

Three... Two... One...

Walking in long steps, the brunette approached the doors leading to the elevator quickly, her mind eager to encounter the person she’d been looking for. She pressed the button that would take her to the twenty-second floor, where the nice woman in the lobby had said she was staying.

Twenty-two floors were a lot to handle for her nervous self. After the long flight, her body felt completely worn-out, and she felt she would faint if she had to walk much more. But the excitement –and anguish- of having found her destination gave her enough stamina to keep on. After all, she was using her few days of vacation in the whole year to do exactly that, so she couldn’t really back off at the last second, could she?

The elevator beeped when it stopped on the twentieth floor, a young man dressed in a suit and a red tie stepping in.

"Are you going up?" He asked in what Yoona thought to be a British accent.

The girl nodded, and the man smiled back in thankfulness.

Yoona tried to look elsewhere, at her reflection in the mirror, for example, to see if she was presentable enough. It was New Year’s Eve, after all, and everyone looked on point, even at the lobby.

"I’m going to pick my partner for the night up," the man spoke, getting Yoona out of her thoughts. "A very pretty lady indeed; she agreed to go with me to the hotel’s gala tonight."

The gala, Yoona thought out of a sudden. What if she isn’t in her room? She nodded and smiled, not really knowing what to answer with her not-very-confident English.

When they reached the twenty-second floor she sighed in relief, bowing slightly goodbye to her elevator companion.

Alone again, her anguish came back. They hadn’t seen each other in months, and she didn’t know if they had ended on good terms. But Yoona had looked for her everywhere, tracing her tracks in press articles and fan accounts, and she’d finally found her destination for New Year’s Eve. Even if it was in New York City; Yoona would go anywhere for her. For Jessica.

She walked down the corridor, not many doors passing by, until she reached the turning point. Room 227. This is it, she told herself. I can’t go back now. I’m ready for this.

Yoona took a deep breath, calming herself down, and knocked on the door. Twice.

She thought she was ready, she really did. But when the door opened, Yoona reconsidered everything she thought she knew about the world.

"Yoona."

The taller girl’s name in the other’s lips felt like the breeze in summer nights, like a snowflake falling on bare skin. Soft. Smooth. Sweet. Delicate.

"Jessica," she answered, her hands shaking.

The older girl was wearing what obviously was her New Year’s Eve outfit; a long black dress, slightly sparkly, that made wonders to her curvy body. Her makeup, soft enough for her natural beauty to stand out, made her glow in the dim light of her hotel room.

The shorter girl let the other in, silence filling the room. It was huge for a hotel room, and completely tidy. She only lays down in bed, Yoona thought with a smile. But then the other thought came down on her. She’s spending New Year’s on her own.

Jessica gestured towards the sofa, and Yoona obediently sat down, intertwining her hands on her lap. She observed her perfectly-manicured nails in nervousness, until she felt Jessica sit down beside her.

"Why are you alone, unnie?" The words slipped out without thinking, and she lowered her head once again immediately after they left .

Jessica her rosy lips, thinking whether to answer or not. And what to answer.

"How are you, Yoona-ya?" She didn’t ask what the younger girl was doing in New York City instead of spending the night with her family. There was no need to.

Yoona linked her gaze with hers, the intensity of the look locking them together.  

"I’ve missed you, Sica-unnie."

Jessica looked at her former member with no clear expression on her face, but her mind roaming all over the girl. Yoona looked tired. She was obviously thinner than the last time they’d seen each other, and that was probably due to her group’s busy schedule the past year. Her makeup was really simple, but she looked so incredibly good in it. In everything.

"Will you accompany me to the New Year’s gala downstairs?" She blushed. Jessica never blushed. "I don’t want us to be alone up here when everyone’s having fun downstairs."

Or you just don’t want to be too alone with me, Yoona thought darkly. They hadn’t even exchanged more than a couple of sentences, and they could both feel the awkwardness of the situation. From best friends they had become almost strangers, and Yoona had flown from the other side of the world to do what, exactly?

"Sure," she replied anyways, but then looked at her red dress and black stockings, fashionable but comfortable enough for the long flight. "But I’m not sure if what I’m wearing looks good enough for the occasion."

Jessica looked at her like that was the most absurd thing she’d ever heard.

"You’re wearing it," she muttered matter-of-factly. "It’s more than perfect."

Now it was Yoona’s time to blush.

They walked out of the room in silence, making their way to the elevator. The golden numbers indicated it was making its way down from the thirtieth floor, so it would be there shortly. The metal doors were clean enough for them to see their reflection, and that’s exactly what they did. Yoona could feel Jessica’s eyes on her through the looking glass, and she locked their gazes once again. That’s when she felt the shorter girl’s hand caress her own, linking their fingers together. Instead of looking startled or moving away, Yoona tightened her grip on Jessica’s hand, a shiver going up her spine.

The elevator was empty, so none of them felt the necessity of letting go of the other’s hand, completely linked but without saying a word. Both of their heads tilted upwards, watching the floor numbers decrease slowly.

"I missed you too, Yoong." Jessica broke the silence when the elevator reached the lobby, right before the doors opened, and Yoona couldn’t help the grin that spread on her face.

The ballroom was full of people from all parts of the world, all visiting New York for that special occasion. The beginning of a new year. A new beginning. Couples, friends, families… all sorts of people dominated the room, bright lights in old candelabras filling the room with their candid luminosity.

"It’s almost midnight," Jessica spoke when they stopped walking and remained still. "You got here just in time."  

The huge clock dominated the room, everyone’s attention set on it. There was music, but people were stopping their dances, moving closer to see a new year come by.

Jessica released Yoona’s hand to fix her hair, her eyes shining in something more than excitement for the upcoming year when she looked at Yoona.

"You look stunning tonight," she said, and Yoona smiled shyly. She beamed.

"You are always beautiful, unnie," Yoona complimented back. They hadn’t spoken much since she knocked on the other girl’s door, but the more than ten years of friendship allowed no doubt to what the other was thinking.

When the music stopped, everyone stayed still, surrounding themselves by their loved ones to enter the new step of their lives.

"You were my favorite dongsaeng," Jessica smiled, but it was sad.

Yoona didn’t know what to say. In the background she could hear the countdown going on around them, even though her eyes and ears were only for Jessica.

"But you were way more than that," Jessica muttered under her breath.

"What?" Yoona could hear the countdown getting to its end.

Jessica shook her head, downplaying it.

…3…

"We’re in America, Yoong. You know what that means?"

…2…

"There’s this tradition we have here for New Year’s."

…1…

Jessica put her hands on Yoona’s waist, holding her closer until they were sharing their breath. The taller girl’s eyes were wide open, her mind absorbing every inch of Jessica.

And when the clock midnight, she felt Jessica’s lips on hers.

It was soft, but it was everything. Years of tension, years of hopeless heart-growing, every moment leading to this. They grew apart and it broke them, but only they could bring themselves together. Jessica’s hands caressed the taller girl’s waist, and Yoona got a grip of the other girl’s bare shoulders, sliding her fingertips down the .

Their kiss was sloppy and needy, short but passionate. Their first kiss.

"I have loved you for such a long time, Jessica."

When their lips met for the second time, it was different. This time more interesting, more passionate, more everything they’d needed.

"Is that how you kiss all the girls you’re into?" Jessica arched an eyebrow.

"I’m not into girls." Yoona paused to throw and intense gaze at Jessica. "I’m just into you."