Part one

Gold and Silver; made for each other

 

Gold and Silver; made for each other


 

 

 

It was night. When most were asleep in their houses, and small lanterns lit up the darkness.

 

Everything was as usual.

 

In two places not too close or too far from each other, two mothers were working their hardest to finish the last step in bringing their creations to the world. Amidst the panting and puffing, they were interrupted by a sudden commotion outside that had everyone else rising from their sleep, shocked by the phenomenon before their eyes.

 

The usually calm sea was thrashing about, exploding against the riverbanks after soaring hundreds of meters up into the air. Everyone busied themselves with praying to their Creator, pleading for the angry waters to stay away from their fragile crops and buildings. They were so immersed in their anxiousness that no one noticed streaks of silver spreading its long fingers in the distant sky, half hidden by the veils of seawater. For a storm to be accompanied by lightning was not out of the ordinary, but if anyone had the opportunity to look closely, they would be baffled at the resemblance that lightning had to an almost living thing.

 

Finally, as if encouraged by the agitated nature, the relieving sound of a first cry from two babies overlapped each other precisely, although the walls and empty alleyways between them meant that no one could hear both of them simultaneously.

 

What happened around the two was scarily identical despite their contrasting family backgrounds. Both figures were lifted up into the air, again at the exact same time.

 

“It’s a boy!”

 

 

☼ 

 

 

For the first time in history, enough land was occupied by a single leader to form an empire, where millions of citizens were ruled by a single emperor. It had taken generations and generations of planning and arranging, but at last the current Emperor Lee took the title, and has been ruling the Haedal Empire for over a century.

 

Until one day, the Imperial Concubine was announced to be pregnant. It would be the Emperor’s first child. Rumours told of the Empress being jealous of the concubine who was so lucky to conceive the first prince, but because she was also the Emperor’s favourite concubine, her protection was thorough deep inside the palace grounds. As for the truth behind the stone walls, no one knew.

 

Nevertheless, no rumour could ever doubt how much the Emperor loved his first born, after he immediately titled him as the Crown Prince, meaning that he would be the next ruler of the empire. The Crown Prince had abundant freedom inside the empire, getting anything he wished for. Apart from the Emperor, he was the next most important person to please, because any discomfort experienced by him would almost definitely result in punishment from the Emperor. Everywhere he went, people would bow down on their knees, afraid to get themselves in trouble, referring to the royal by his title. Only a very limited amount of people were allowed to call him anything else, so it was rare that he would hear his real name-

 

Lee Donghae- named after the extraordinary waves in the East Sea on the night that he was born.

 

 

☼ 

 

 

“Donghae? Donghae, are you here?”

 

A woman in an exquisitely woven sapphire blue gown lifted back the bead curtains with a pale hand, decorated with a single silver tattoo below the pinky knuckle. The shape of the pattern was not only a guide for new servants to recognize her as someone of a high importance, but also to signify that she had been given the title of Imperial Concubine by the Emperor himself.

 

Donghae’s birth mother glanced around the empty room belonging to her fourteen-year-old son, then dropped the curtain down as she sighed, turning around to search somewhere else. She had taken only one step towards the main entrance to the building, some distance away from where she was standing, when a messenger boy ran through the wide-opened wooden doors.

 

“Your highness, we told all visitors that you weren’t feeling well but she just ignored us. She’s coming this way now and she’ll be here soon and I’m really sorry we weren’t able to follow your orders but-”

 

Who is coming here now?”

 

Before the panicked boy could untwist his tongue, the corners of a thickly layered black and gold dress came into sight from behind one of the doors. Even though the intruder’s face was yet hidden behind the walls, this piece of information was enough to prepare the concubine for what was to come.

 

“Well, well. I thought you were sick? Why are you not resting in bed, but fully dressed with even your hair properly done?”

 

“Good morning, Empress. Thank you for visiting me.” She performed a perfect greeting bow towards the other, who was busy looking at her own servant until he received the signal and went to close the double doors. “It is an honour to have you here-”

 

“Enough. You can drop the formalities with me, Imperial Concubine. After all, it’s not like you’re still so much below me, now that you have given the Emperor a Crown Prince. You haven’t answered my question. Why did you tell the Emperor that you were sick last night?”

 

The Empress’ stare was scrutinizing and hostile, revealing the true reasons of her visit this morning. Compared to the Imperial Concubine, she was undoubtedly more beautiful, with vibrantly bright eyes and ruby lips to match. Perhaps it balanced out her disadvantage in other areas, such as how she had just accidentally disclosed that she was with the Emperor last night, and even when he was with his Empress, the Emperor was still talking about the concubine.

 

The calmer woman felt sorry for the jealousy that was directed towards her, but also glad. Because although she did not return the Emperor’s feelings, there was someone else that did. She admired the Empress for loving the Emperor so much, even though their marriage was solely political, she was willing to try and make the concubine spend more time with him just because the other made him happier.

 

“I had said I was sick, because I was not feeling well last night. Today I feel better.” Her eyes remained respectfully lowered.

 

“Oh, so it was just a temporary excuse to decline the Emperor? Do you not care about his feelings at all? Is that why you locked yourself up in the most remote area of the palace, staying away from everybody?”

 

Her accusing tone had gotten so loud that the concubine didn’t notice someone about to enter until the doors were pushed open a fraction, and half of a face was revealed. Because the Empress was facing her, only the concubine recognized who was standing outside the door.

 

The doors suddenly changed direction and closed again with a low thud, as if someone had pushed it from the inside. The person outside hesitated, but didn’t attempt to enter anymore.

 

By the time the Empress had turned around from the noise, there was nothing unusual for her to see.

 

“What was that?” The servant answered by shaking his head. He had also been facing away from the door, so he couldn’t see anything either.

 

“It must be the wind. The weather is getting colder these days. Empress, I have some rare fabric that I received as a gift, and they make some of the warmest clothing I have ever worn. Would you like me to send some over to you later?” The concubine offered.

 

“He keeps on saying you are one of the most kind-hearted souls, but I can see past it all. You just want to flaunt to me that he gave you gifts. You don’t need to pretend that your intention was to give me some of them. I can see through how fake you are.” She sneered.

 

“Empress, that is not what I meant. I am sorry for your misinterpretation-”

 

“Stop. You don’t need to explain to me, it won’t work. Only the Emperor is constantly fooled by you. He has all of these concubines, but the only one that he didn’t have to marry for a political reason is you. He cares about you so genuinely, and what do you do in return? Turn down all of his invitations, avoid him at all costs… you are really the most cold-blooded women I’ve ever seen. He doesn’t deserve to be treated like this. You don’t deserve him.” Her face had gotten a shade redder in anger, her voice already loud enough to be heard through the thick wooden doors. “I wish he never met you. I wish he met me first. He doesn’t deserve this. He doesn’t…”

 

“Me too.”

 

“W-what?” She flinched from her abruptness.

 

“Me too. I wish he never met me.”

 

“You heartless . Do you know how sad he would be if he heard this?! Don’t you dare say anything like this to him. Swear on it.”

 

“Don’t worry. I won’t have a chance to say anything like that. We don’t talk to each other often anyways.”

 

“I… You are helpless. No matter what I do, or what I say, it’s impossible for you to bring yourself to care about him even a tiny bit. I give up. He doesn’t need you to be happy. I can make him happy too.”

 

“That is true. I wish you both happiness.”

 

The Empress frowned deeply at the concubine, who was not looking completely indifferent as usual, but with a hint of tiredness. She turned around, motioned for her servant to open the door, and left without another word.

 

A considerable amount of time later, the concubine sighed and sat down on a nearby chair to pour herself a cup of water. “You can come out now.” she called.

 

Behind one of the large pot plants outside the door, a young boy with large doe eyes and soft brunette hair quickly stepped inside and sat down beside the concubine. Another boy, who was significantly taller despite their similar ages, also appeared from another plant. Although he did not go inside and merely stood by the entrance.

 

The Crown Prince of the Haedal Kingdom was nothing but a little boy in front of his mother. Currently, there was a worried look on his face as he thought about everything he had just heard between the two women.

 

“Is what she said true? Mother, do you really not love father?” His naturally sad eyes were drooping down even further, on the verge of tears.

 

The Imperial Concubine finished her cup of water before she spoke. “Donghae, did I not tell you to not get upset so quickly? No matter what happens, you must keep composed at all times and make decisions with a clear mind. Oh, and Taemin, you know that you don’t have to stand at the door when you’re here with us. You can come inside and sit down. It must be tiring for you, having to keep watch of this easily emotional child.”

 

“Thank you, Imperial Concubine, but I have to stay by here so I have a clear view of any possible dangers present to the Crown Prince.”

 

“Hey! I’m not a child anymore! I’m fourteen already, and Taemin’s only three months older than me.” Pouting lips followed, but Donghae wasn’t really interested in that topic. He still hadn’t gotten an answer.

 

“Taemin, come sit down. We all know that even if something dangerous was coming, you will be the fastest out of everyone in the whole empire to stop it. No one can beat the speed of teleportation.” Her smile was warm and loving, situating herself in the role of a mother towards the young boy.

 

“Thank you, Imperial Concubine.” He finally gave up and walked over to sit down. “But it is not teleportation. I can run really fast, that’s all.”

 

She laughed. “It’s just a term. You’re so fast that most people can’t even see you moving. That’s basically teleportation.”

 

Taemin gave a small proud smile, his eyes curving beneath the blonde hair, creating a stark contrast to Donghae who was fidgeting in his chair.

 

He didn’t want his mother to think that he was as upset as he really was again, so he bit down on his bottom lip to stop himself from saying anything else. But the eyes gave it away.

 

The Imperial Concubine sighed and turned towards her only son. “Donghae, there are some things you won’t understand now, so I’m sorry that I can’t explain it all to you. Once you grow up and find the one that you truly love, then I will be able to tell you more.” Her eyes looked past the honey brown ones gazing back at her, seeing a different pair that were a shade lighter, a shade softer. The eyes that encouraged her to come to the palace. “You just need to remember, that your father is the one who loves me the most in this world, and I know that. The Empress came to me only because she loves the Emperor very much and wants the best for him, so you don’t need to worry about what she said to me. She doesn’t mean it.”

 

But the puppy dog eyes would not go away. “Really?”

 

“Yes, really.” She put her arms around him and placed a kiss on his hair. “And a part of the reason that I sent your father away was so he could rest. You know that those issues about fading powers all over the empire are stressing him out.”

 

Donghae frowned, this time for a different reason. “I know. I wish I could help him somehow. Mother, tell me the story of how we all have powers again.” He leaned his cheek on his left palm- the perfect position to listen to his favourite voice in the world.

 

“A long time ago, before humans existed, the only living existences were animals of countless varieties, with each having their own language. They could not interact with each other, due to their different sizes and natures, so the Creator of the world chose a portion of each kind of animal, and gave them all the same features that we humans share today. We all have similar limbs to perform the same functions, and we can make similar sounds that allow us to understand one another. But the animals that we originated from are still present in our blood, so we have different powers, characteristic of that animal.”

 

Donghae’s lips pulled into a grin, remembering Taemin’s cheetah-like speed and his mother’s telekinetic ability.

 

“Have you still not found what animal you originated from, mother?”

 

“No I haven’t. There are so many species that have not been discovered by humans, but they’re all out there. Who knows, maybe there is an animal that can become invisible, and can also make other animals invisible too?” She smiled faintly, before growing serious again. “I don’t worry about it too much, Donghae, because for me it’s not that important. What’s important is how we moderate the use of our powers so that we are not harmed by it. Because every time they are used, a lot of energy is required from the human bodies we have. This is also one of the main reasons your father is troubled. Everywhere around the empire, there are reports that describe the citizens needing more and more energy to perform their powers, getting more and more tired each time. Some have gotten so exhausted that they cannot use their powers at all, because they simply do not have enough energy left in their bodies.”

 

“Mother! Are you alright, then? You just used your power to shut the door and stop me from coming inside. Are you feeling tired? Do you need to rest?” Donghae lifted his head from his hand, searching her face for any signs of fatigue.

 

“I’m ok, Donghae. I felt a little lightheaded back then, but I’m fine now. What about you? Do you feel dizzy or have any discomfort when you fly?”

 

“No, I don’t. Everything is still the same ever since I started flying at five years old.” He replied.

 

“I still remember that day as if it was only yesterday. We were lucky- you were indoors when you started floating, and if the ceiling wasn’t there then you would have kept on going upwards! You were crying because you didn’t know how to control your powers yet, and with your tears falling from the ceiling, you were like a little rain cloud.” She chuckled.

 

“Mother! Stop embarrassing me in front of Taemin.” Donghae’s cheeks tinted slightly.

 

“It’s alright, Crown Prince. I have heard this story many times already.”

 

“…we had to get a ladder to reach you. Before we found you a special caretaker who also descended from a flying animal, you were tied to the stone table with a string of rope. You were like a cute little balloon.”

 

“Mother!”

 

The dark haired woman was laughing so hard she had to use a hand to cover . “Ok, I’ll stop. What about you then, Donghae? Do you wish to find what you originated from?”

 

“I don’t know. I’ve always felt close to the sea, but there is only one species of fish that can fly, and I know it’s not that. Maybe my animal is like yours, mother. Maybe we’ll never know.”

 

“As long as you stay healthy and happy, Donghae. Be careful when using your powers, and rest properly, ok? Why don’t you and Taemin go outside the palace to play. He seems bored, with not enough space to run inside this pris- inside this palace.”

 

“Yes, mother. You take care also. We’ll be back by dinner time!”

 

The Imperial Concubine followed her beloved son out with her eyes until he could no longer be seen. Then she got up and walked into the room to get some bottles of hair dye.

 

 

☼ 

 

 

Donghae didn’t even blink with hesitation when he pulled out a plain white shirt and dark pants to match. No matter how he dressed, even if he wore a mask, people would recognise him as the Crown Prince, and he would experience that treatment which he hated the most in his life. Ok, maybe wearing a mask was a mistake since there had been literally nobody else who also covered their face, but still. Every citizen who lived around the palace knew him so well, it gave Donghae a headache every time he went outside. As if inside the palace wasn’t bad enough already.

 

Growing up basically alone, with no sisters or brothers of equal status as him, Donghae found his only friend in the palace library. He read every day. Sometimes they were about romance, sometimes about historical wars. He longed to see the beauties and horrors it painted inside his head. Not visual ones, but between people. He wanted to know what it was like to be willing to give up everything for your love, and maybe what it was like to be betrayed by the only one you trusted. Donghae knew that there was a whole other world out there, which he could never enter, because how do you fall in love with someone when the instant reaction to your appearance is to respectfully bow down?

 

“Let’s go further this time. Try find somewhere where they don’t know me.” The brunette flattened his hair with a hat that would hopefully cover some of his face.

 

“But then we won’t be back for dinner in time. Unless you want me to use my powers…”

 

“No, I don’t want you to risk your health for something as small as this. But Taemin, I really really just want to be looked at normally for once!” A familiar pout, well-practiced puppy-eyes, and Taemin gave up his reasons for not telling Donghae this earlier.

 

“Do you know about… the underground citizens?”

 

Donghae’s eyes sparkled at this new information. “No. Why?”

 

“Well... the people who are living above ground around us are all middle to upper class. I only knew about this a few weeks ago, but there are some people from lower classes who operate and trade right underneath the people walking on the streets.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner! This is perfect. If they haven’t been in touch with people from around here, then they won’t know me! What are we waiting for?”

 

“Wait, Donghae, the reason that I didn’t tell you, is because a large percentage of things that happen below are illegal.” He thought back to the time he witnessed a drug exchange with his own eyes. “Dangerous. And my job is to keep you away from danger.”

 

Donghae frowned at the only person unrelated to him who called him by his real name, spotting the worry behind Taemin’s reluctance. Taemin was the son of a high rank general for his father, the Emperor, and had more or less grown up with Donghae inside the palace grounds. For some reason, the Crown Prince had taken an immediate liking to the months-older boy, begging his father to let them play together until Taemin was assigned to be his personal bodyguard just to give their excessive closeness a title. It was likely due to the blonde’s innately calm demeanour, not making Donghae feel that he was fake like everyone else.

 

His frown smoothed out once a thought popped up into his head, and that satisfied cat-like smile came back. “But you already told me, which means you planned to let me go. I know you just wanted to warn me, Taeminnie, but I trust you to protect me, so don’t worry.”

 

Taemin tensed the tiniest bit at the nickname, but smiled back nevertheless. The title of being the Crown Prince’s bodyguard was only a title to them, because under it all, Taemin was just simply- Donghae’s friend.

 

 

☼ 

 

 

Though Taemin sometimes wished that he didn’t have to be beside the nosy Donghae who, such as right now, was watching a one-on-one street fight in the underground areas intently and forgetting that his blatant staring was definitely going to attract unwanted attention.

 

Attention that came very quickly.

 

“Hey! What’re you looking at! What’s your problem?” The bulkier of the two moved his target from the boy who had just thrown him into the dirt onto the more innocent, inexperienced-looking one standing a few meters away. He already felt humiliated that friends of both himself and the other had seen him lose that round so pathetically, and he wasn’t going to let an outsider laugh at him too.

 

Donghae’s eyes widened the moment he realised that he was talking to him, and colour drained his cheeks instantly. “I… I wasn’t….”

 

“Wasn’t what? Wasn’t standing there like a stupid bird, gaping at us? I’ll show you who’s the boss around here-” Before he could finish the sentence, a sweeping kick to his legs made them give out and for the second time that day, he found himself face to face with the lovely ground that he was standing on just a moment ago. Today just wasn’t his day.

 

“Who told you that I was finished with you? Pick your up off the ground if you can and go home. Unless you still think you can beat me.” The words of his opponent created immediate ripples of snickering from all around them, mocking the brawny boy’s defeat. As he motioned for all of his friends to follow him and retreat for now, he threw a dirty look towards his slim-looking opponent who was actually very fit. He didn’t understand how a fourteen year old could be so powerful, but then again, he mostly used his muscles and not his brain.

 

Rounding a corner, something clicked inside his head and he smirked, coming up with what he thought as the perfect plan for revenge. He crept back to the road where his rival currently stood, facing towards that innocent-looking boy and away from him. Perfect. Pulling a short wooden club from his pockets, he hesitated for a moment to check if anyone saw him, and then pounced forward, bringing the club down hard and fast in between the other’s neck and shoulder.

 

“No!!”

 

Everyone, except for the person who was lying face down to the ground for the third time that day, stared shocked at the black smoke rising from his blackened hair. It had happened so fast that nobody had saw it coming, and no one knew who or what caused him to be attacked like this. Like he had been struck by lightning.

 

Still stunned and confused, the people present looked towards their leader- the one who previously won against the now fried figure- and had to do all they could in order not to burst out laughing. Because their leader was one who forgave but did not forget. As hard as they tried, a few people still couldn’t control the giggles escaping through their clamped lips at their leader’s hair, flaming red as usual, but sticking out in all possible directions. It made him look like a red-haired lion. Coupled with the deadly glare on his face, a pissed off red-haired lion.

 

He gestured towards the people who failed at muffling their laughter, telling them to take the person on the ground away. Hopefully he was still alive. Before he dealt with the culprit, he needed someone to update his safety to his teammate.

 

“V, I need you to tell Kai about everything that happened exactly.”

 

No response.

 

The redhead sighed and tried again. “Taehyung?”

 

“Yes! What do I need to do? I’m ready.”

 

Half of the group rolled their eyes at the youngest member’s forgetfulness when it came to himself. Ironically, his memory was spectacular when it came to recalling events that had happened. But when it was about his own name…

 

“Taehyung, how many times do I need to tell you? Your name is V when we are out here. Now go home, and tell Jongin about what happened. Ok?”

 

“Yes! I got it! Leave it to me, Hyuk-“

 

“Taehyung! What did I say about names? What are you supposed to call me!”

 

“I- I’m sorry…”

 

“Don’t make a mistake next time. You can all go now. I’ll be fine alone.”

 

In merely a matter of seconds, the group disappeared into side streets and alleyways, leaving only the redhead, a guarded Taemin, and a mute Donghae who was still in an unresponsive daze from what he did. Did he really do that? That answer was unquestionably affirmative. But how? Why? How?

 

Hyukjae turned to face the brunette, and his hair was looking less lion-like by now, although the rigidness was still there in his expression. No one else was close enough to know, but Hyukjae had felt the tingles of electricity, which had targeted the man behind him but also forked onto himself. He knew that it all came from the shorter boy in front of him.

 

Instead of asking what he was originally intending to ask, Hyukjae’s first words to Donghae were “Hi, I’m Hyukjae.”

 

He didn’t know what made him reveal his true name on accident. Maybe it was the softness in the other’s eyes that seemed so vulnerable Hyukjae couldn’t bring himself to lie to them.

 

Donghae’s eyes travelled from nowhere in particular to Hyukjae’s ones, then up towards his hair, and at last back down again. “Hi, I’m Donghae.”

 

“Donghae? That’s a pretty name.” Hyukjae held out his hand, but quickly retrieved it. “Wait, if we shake hands, are you going to zap me again?”

 

The shorter boy’s cheeks coloured instantly with guilt, making Hyukjae stare a little at the pink-dusted skin. “I’m really sorry about that. I don’t know how it happened; I didn’t mean to hurt you. I just wanted to stop him…”

 

Hyukjae laughed. A bright gummy smile, and Donghae went into another daze at just how bright it was. Blinding, even.

 

“It’s ok. I was just joking. Nice to meet you, Donghae.” He extended his hand once again and after a moment of hesitation, Donghae reached out to grab it.

 

“Nice to meet you too.” Hyukjae’s hands were warmer than his, and even though Donghae could swear that he didn’t do anything this time, a tingling feeling ran up both their fingers.

 

“So, Donghae, what brought you underground?”

 

The brunette’s eyebrows rose by a fraction. “How did you know?”

 

Hyukjae chuckled. “Well, it’s obvious that you and your friend are not from here. Speaking of, you haven’t introduced us yet.”

 

“Oh, this is Taemin, he’s my bodyguard.” The two shared a secret smile at the title, but Hyukjae’s eyes narrowed.

 

“Bodyguard?”

 

“Yes, Taemin has been my bodyguard ever since we were young. Because father said that a prince needs a bodyguard, and I thought Taemin would be a good one, so-“

 

“Wait. Prince?”

 

Both of his hands flew up to his mouth as Donghae realised his mistake, but it was too late. Hyukjae gave him a disappointed look, which he didn’t know the reason for, before turning to leave without any hesitation.

 

“Wait,” Donghae called out.

 

Hyukjae’s movements slowed, but his feet kept moving.

 

“You know, we actually have quite a lot in common.” The brunette blurted out. His mind told him to just say something, anything, and he wanted to hit himself when this was the best he could come up with in that fraction of a second.

 

It seemed to work, surprisingly, making Donghae smile when Hyukjae paused before turning around. The smile dropped when he saw the mocking look on the redhead’s face.

 

“And what would that be, prince? What could you possibly have in common with a low-class like me?” His expression was almost amused as he waited for a reply.

 

“Well, firstly, we’re both male.” Great, Donghae. Way to go.

 

Hyukjae raised an eyebrow.

 

“And secondly… we both live in the Haedal Empire.”

 

The eyebrow rose higher.

 

“Thirdly… um…”

 

The redhead was getting impatient. He exhaled quickly through his nose, ending the conversation exactly the same time as the brunette said something else. Something that made the hairs on his back rise.

 

“Goodbye, prince.”

“We can both fly?”

 

“W-what?!”

 

Hyukjae froze, considering, and then walked back to stand in front of the brunette.

 

“Am I wrong?” Donghae asked.

 

“Who told you?” Hyukjae knew that he had just admitted to that power, but he really needed to know how on earth this boy knew about it. It was a secret, only known by the people closest to him, and he was determined to keep it that way in order to not let others take advantage of him. But this boy knew.

 

“Nobody told me. When I watched you fight that other guy… I kinda figured it out. Because your movements were so light and powerful, you must’ve had some kind of support to be able to move like that in mid air… so…”

 

Even before Taemin could react, a hand grabbed the front of Donghae’s shirt and pulled him close to Hyukjae’s threatening eyes. “Don’t you dare tell anyone. If you do, I will make you regret it, prince or not. Understood?”

 

The shorter boy was forced to look into the dark pupils of the other, drawing him in, holding him in an unexplainable trance. All of a sudden, the trance was broken, and they both shivered with a knowledge that something was off, although neither knew what it was.

 

“Y-yes.” Donghae stuttered.

 

Hyukjae let go of him before Taemin’s patience ran out. He could see from the corner of his eyes- the skinny boy was highly anxious of what he might have done to Donghae. To his prince.

 

Hyukjae scoffed, and backed away further ready to leave. “Ok, you have some nice observational skills, but I have to go now. See you later. Or better yet, let this be our last meeting.”

 

“But...” Donghae’s eyebrows pulled downwards and the corners of his eyes followed the direction. Inside, Taemin smirked to himself. This will be interesting.

 

As expected, Hyukjae’s eyes widened at the brunette’s sudden change in expression, and he instinctively reflected on what he might have done wrong. That was the power of Prince Lee Donghae’s puppy dog eyes, after all.

 

“What’s wrong? What do you want? Stop looking at me like that.” Something was tickling Hyukjae on the inside; it was extremely uncomfortable.

 

“I haven’t found someone who treats me like a real person and not just the ‘Crown Prince’ in ages, and when I finally find one, you say you don’t want to see me ever again.” His eyes were turning glassy. Hyukjae frowned.

 

“I didn’t say that.” He protested.

 

“That’s what you meant.” Donghae sniffed, and the first tear finally broke out of its confines.

 

“Ok, ok, what do you want then? Just stop crying! You’re a boy, boys aren’t supposed to cry.”

 

“No. I’m a human, and you are too. All humans are allowed to cry. And I just wanted to have a friend who didn’t treat me as nothing but the Crown Prince. I want you to treat me the same way you did when we first met minutes ago.”

 

Hyukjae swallowed in the few second of silence that came next. The last thing he wanted was to get involved with someone from a high class, let alone someone from the royal family. But for this fair-skinned brunette with unbelievably sad eyes, he somehow couldn’t say no.

 

“Fine. As long as you’re alone- well, I suppose Taemin can’t really do much harm- as long as it’s just you two, I won’t act differently just because of who you are.”

 

Donghae glowed with joy. “So that means you’ll play with me?”

 

The redhead hesitated, and it was enough for the smile on the brunette’s face to fade away. Hastily, he replied, “Yep. But what do you mean by play-”

 

“Yay!” Donghae exclaimed. “Let’s go above and fly together! I know a place in the forest where no one will see us. It’ll be awesome!”

 

“Wait… when did I agree to going above ground with you? And flying together?!”

 

“Just now! Come on, let’s go!”

 

Hyukjae didn’t know how he let himself be dragged by the shorter boy, who was obviously weaker than him, and spend the whole afternoon together in laughter and joy. By the time he got home, he was exhausted from touching treetops with Donghae, rolling down grassy hillsides with Donghae, and smiling more times than he ever did in a whole week, just because of Donghae.

 

Hyukjae also didn’t know that in the years to come, he would be ‘invited’ by a certain Crown Prince to play with him countless times, even when he refused. Slowly but surely, they became used to each other’s company, and even Taemin felt like he no longer understood some of the things that the pair seemed to share together.

 

Donghae believed that he finally experienced the words ‘best friends’, whereas he had only read it in books before.

 

Hyukjae believed that one of the things he thought he was going to regret, which was meeting Donghae, turned out to be one of the best things that had ever happened to him.

 

The years flew by. Both boys reached adulthood.

 

Humans’ powers weakened faster each day.

 

 

☼ 

 

 

“Crown Prince? Are you awake? The Emperor wishes to see you. He is waiting in the main palace room for you, and all the generals are there too. Please get ready quickly.”

 

A mop of messy brown hair stirred beneath the covers, but its owner made no effort to rise. Donghae’s birthday was in a week’s time, and he knew that his father probably wanted to discuss how to celebrate his eighteenth birthday with him. It wasn’t important enough for the slugabed to leave his favourite place.

 

“Please, Crown Prince, the Emperor said that it was a very important matter, and has to do with your birthday. They are all waiting.” The voice behind the door was getting more and more desperate.

 

Donghae sighed, then pulled himself up, only because he didn’t want the messenger to get in trouble. Soon, he stepped through the threshold to the enormous hall, slightly surprised by the number of high-ranking generals already present. Was his birthday that important?

 

“Good morning, Emperor. I apologize for being late.” At age seventeen, the Crown Prince was the pure definition of ‘handsomeness’, features of youth dominating his energetic form.

 

“Kneel down.” The Emperor commanded.

 

Donghae was shocked, but followed the order nevertheless. Why was his father suddenly so angry with him? He was only late to a meeting; it had happened before as well.

 

“Emperor, I am sorry I was late. It won’t happen again.” He repeated, and put on his most repenting face. Surely his aegyo would get him through this.

 

“Crown Prince Lee Donghae, on behalf of our mighty Creator, I give you the task of finding a solution to the hindrances in the powers of humans in the Haedal Empire. I have been informed through a dream that you are to travel far away from the Empire palace, to the corners of the Empire, and even further if need be. You will leave after you turn eighteen years of age, which is in seven days, on the eighteenth of July.”

 

Now, Donghae finally understood why all the generals were here. This was the most significant issue regarding the Empire right now, and he felt honored to be given hopes like these.

 

“Your majesty, thank you for putting such trust in me. I will do all I can to accomplish the task, and will not fail the expectations of our Empire.” His shoulders squared with determination.

 

“Good. I will assign you a few soldiers to accompany you and protect you along the way. If you have no more questions, then you are free to go.”

 

“Your majesty, I just have one thing to ask, and I would be truly grateful I am allowed to make my own decision for this.”

 

“What is it?” The Emperor had never heard him ask for anything before, so he was genuinely curious.

 

“If it is possible, could I travel with people that I choose myself? With my powers, I am confident that I can protect myself, and also others too. I will remember my mission, so my companions will be chosen for their useful help to me.”

 

The Emperor paused, deciding between his son’s sincerity and possible over-confidence. “Very well. You may choose your own companions to travel the Empire together. Be careful, Donghae. Although you have the ability to fly, and also can manipulate lightning, there are many things which you have not yet encountered. Possibly not even heard of. Remember that your safety is the top priority. You may leave now.”

 

“Thank you, your majesty.” Donghae stood up, performed a deep bow, and left the hall.

 

He couldn’t wait to tell Hyukjae and Taemin.

 

 

☼ 

 

 

“And why do you think I’ll agree to go with you?” Hyukjae glanced up at him, then went back to being busy with sharpening a small dagger on a rock.

 

“Because you’ve always wanted to explore! It’ll be fun, I promise. Even though we can’t go to the moon, there’ll be so many exciting things we get to see!” The usually polite and controlled Crown Prince was talking animatedly opposite the redhead, hands flying everywhere- a sight that only a handful of people could see.

 

“I don’t know… it might be unsafe, and I can’t just leave all my friends…” His hands slowed, indicating that he was thinking seriously about it.

 

“But Hyukjae, I want you to go with me.” Donghae’s voice dragged out dangerously close to a whine.

 

“…..” The redhead continued to move the dagger across the rock, knowing that if he looked up, that pout would make all his reservations disappear just like that.

 

At last he sighed, giving in. He was worried the most about his mother, who had nobody but him to support her, but he trusted Jungkook to look after her while he was gone.

 

“Fine. But I’m bringing Kai with me.” He stated.

 

“Sure, I asked Taemin to come too, and he agreed. A lot easier than you.” Now that he was sure Hyukjae would go with him, he went back to their usual teasing.

 

“Well if Taemin agreed so easily then maybe you should just go with him alone.”

 

“But Hyukkie…!” Donghae laughed, in the way that brought the sun out. He loved seeing Hyukjae’s face scrunch up every time he called him that nickname.

 

“Oh, I almost forgot. There’s a celebration dinner next week for my birthday. Do you want to come?” the brunette asked, hopeful.

 

Hyukjae tensed unrecognizably. His sharpening movements got harsher. “What about mine? It’s bad enough that we have the same birthday. Are you now also depriving me of a present at my celebration?”

 

Donghae laughed again, and hit the side of Hyukjae’s neck. “Stop being so sour. Just see it as a celebration for the both of us, ok? Only we will know. And you can pick any present that I get, as long as you want it.”

 

Hyukjae stopped his movements, twisting the dagger to observe its sharpness. “Ok, don’t you dare go back on your words. Next week I’m going to take all the presents that you get, and you can’t complain one bit.”

 

“Are you not going to leave me anything? You’re not going to take my underwear as well, are you?” Behind the innocent concern was a cheekiness that only Donghae was allowed to do in front of Hyukjae.

 

“Speaking of underwear, who is the one who keeps on taking my clothes and then not returning them? Is the Crown Prince of Haedal so poor he can’t afford clothes?”

 

“It was just one time!” The other raised an eyebrow. “Ok, maybe more than one time. But I said I’ll give them back. I just… forget.”

 

“Well, maybe you can return it now.” Hyukjae held up the dagger in his hands and hooked it under the top button of Donghae’s shirt. All of a sudden, the brunette forgot how to exhale. With a pop, it came off, and Donghae was sure that his ears were on fire.

 

“Hey! That was one of my favourite shirts! Now we’re even, and I don’t have to return any of your shirts anymore.” He faked displeasure to hide his embarrassment.

 

“No. When I take this shirt off you, then we’re even.” The redhead smirked, lifting his dagger again.

 

Donghae’s face was surely aglow. He scrambled up, trying to escape from Hyukjae’s evilly delighted laughter behind him.  

 

His head turned around to remind Hyukjae one last time. “Don’t forget! Next week, my birthday dinner! Just say your name, I’ll let the guards know!”

 

 

☼ 

 

 

Donghae hadn’t predicted that he didn’t get to see Hyukjae again, before the whole week’s preparations finally came to an end and his birthday arrived. As he stood there, exhausted but having to smile and greet everyone who entered, he wondered when that interesting face would appear and allow him to finally smile genuinely.

 

Outside the palace, a hundred meters away, a redhead was arguing heatedly with the palace guard.

 

“No, you listen to me. I’m a friend of Donghae’s, and he invited me-” Hyukjae tried to stay calm, but the guard was refusing to listen.

 

“How dare you call the Crown Prince by his name? Go annoy someone else, you little beggar. Today is the Crown Prince’s eighteenth birthday, so I’ll be kind to you and not throw you in jail for disrespecting his majesty.”

 

“I’m going to tell you one last time. My name is Hyukjae, and the prince invited me to come-”

 

“I don’t care what your name is. If you don’t leave now, your name will be prisoner no.486. So bugger off.” His mind was made up the moment he saw the stitch marks on the young adult’s clothes. He didn’t bother to even check the guest list.

 

Hyukjae gave him a pitiful look, and left without a word. The guard was confused but dismissed it.

 

The moment the redhead turned around, another guard returned from his break and stood back in front of the entrance.

 

“Is everything ok?” He asked the former.

 

“Yeah, nothing I can’t handle. Just some young beggars looking for trouble everywhere they go.”

 

The second guard eyed the back view of Hyukjae as he walked away, suddenly remembering something he was asked when he passed the Crown Prince on his break. “The Crown Prince just reminded me to look out for one of his friends who still hasn’t arrived. Someone named… Hyukjae? So keep that in mind when you let people through, ok?”

 

The first guard froze, feeling a scary familiarity in that name. No, it couldn’t be. Why would the prince be friends with a beggar? He looked towards the corner where Hyukjae disappeared, and hoped with all his might that the boy the prince was waiting for would arrive later.

 

Back inside the palace. Donghae waited for the whole night.

 

Hyukjae never appeared.

 

 

☼ 

 

 

The second day, Donghae didn’t know how to act when Hyukjae showed up. If he showed up at all. The brunette guessed that the other might have been annoyed that he didn’t visit for a whole week, so he didn’t come to his birthday celebration. Donghae scolded himself for not sending a message to him, thinking that it wasn’t needed when apparently, it was.

 

Hyukjae did come in the end. As Donghae stood in front of the Emperor, with Hyukjae to his left, Taemin to his right, and Kai besides Hyukjae, all four of them thanked the Emperor for putting his trust in them, then got ready to leave.

 

Their belongings were already packed onto four horses, waiting for them to mount.

 

“Can you even ride?” Kai teased Taemin, who honestly looked like the horse could snap him in half. The grin was wiped off completely when he blinked, and Taemin was already on top, holding the reins ready to go.

 

“Can you even get on?” he replied coolly, thinking that using his powers was worth the taken aback expression on the darker boy.

 

Kai narrowed his eyes, then pulled himself up as well. He had seen Taemin with the Crown Prince when they came to see Hyukjae, and they had also met on accident in a situation that Kai wished to erase from his history. Every since, Taemin had been considerably cold to him, and although he trusted the redhead completely, he was still wary about these two. Especially Taemin.

 

Being nearly a year older than Hyukjae, Kai had befriended the boy who lived opposite him, and together they had fought the way to the top of their little group, taking charge over their underground area. In that place, you talked with your fists, not your mouth. But Kai had a way with people, finding it effortless to get people to trust him, and Hyukjae was a natural, smart fighter. It was no wonder then, when teamed together, the two were admired by peers at ages as early as fourteen.

 

Kai pulled his gaze back from the skinny boy and looked back to where Hyukjae and Donghae were standing, awkwardness settling as silence between them. Neither tried to break it. The oldest boy rolled his eyes, wanting them to just hurry up so they could leave quickly and come back quickly.

 

“Hyukjae, why did you ditch us last night on your birthday? And then you came back looking pissed as hell.” He called in their direction.

 

Donghae turned to look at Hyukjae, boring his eyes straight into the other’s. “You left your friends last night and you also didn’t come to mine? Where did you go?”

 

The redhead ran a hand through his hair, and muttered, “Your guard wouldn’t let me in.”

 

Something flamed inside the brunette who understood at once. “Did you hear that?” He asked the servant closest to him through gritted teeth.

 

“Yes, your majesty.”

 

“Why don’t you go book a hearing check for the guards on duty that day, since I specifically told them to look out for my friend named Hyukjae? And while you’re at it, give them an opportunity to stand in front of the toilets, since they apparently need to practice their guarding abilities.”

 

“Understood, your majesty. How long should they be ‘given the opportunity’ to work in the cleansing area?”

 

“How long do you think, Hyukjae?” Donghae asked the person beside him.

 

The redhead replied with a wicked grin. “Until we get back.”

 

“You heard him.” Donghae sent the servant away. He handed over Hyukjae’s reins. “So you weren’t mad at me?”

 

“Why would I be mad at you?” Hyukjae jumped off the ground with one foot, gracefully swinging his leg over and landing on top of the stallion. “I’m only regretting all those presents that I wasn’t able to steal.”

 

The brunette smiled, and he too lifted himself onto his ride. He was glad that they were back to normal again.

 

Waving back to the Emperor and Imperial Concubine sending them off, the group of four started their journey with no idea what was waiting for them. They didn’t even know if there was an answer to the task that they were given, but all four were determined to do all they could to help preserve the powers of their own species. It was in humans' nature to help others unconditionally, after all.