Real Art

Art

" Oh, how lovely this sculpture is, look at it darling, it would look perfect in our courtyard."

 

Ah, the typical, rich housewives, searching for new things to splurge their husbands money on. They speak as if they know what art is about. All they know is how they can brag about the new expensive statue they bought to their polo club whatsoever.

 

" Hello Mr.Kim, I adore your artworks very much, can I take a picture with you?"

Doc Martens boots, oversized flannel, oh and a choker on her neck, "art" kids. 

Another species always seen at my exhibitions. They only come for the pictures to post on their tumblr and instagram. Aesthetic as they call it.

 

Only once or twice have I seen real art enthusiasts at my exhibitions. Other than that, it was all posers, faking on how they love art when all they come for is a picture or a thing to brag for at their friends.So typical of people.

"Mr. Kim Kai"

I turned around to see a woman. Tall, voluptous, beautiful. A perfect sculpture, alive. Oh the things in my mind right now.

Her eyes are as brown as chocolate milk, not dark, not light, people would say it is a pair of normal eyes, but her eyes showed different than ordinary, its enticing.

"Mr.Kim Kai, right? Hi, I'm Naeun, Son Naeun, from Art and About. I'm here to interview you about your exhibition."

I snapped out from my own monologue

"Hello, yes, I'm a bit busy right now though." I am. Is she a new journalist? An intern? Who the hell interviews someone during an exhibition?

"Oh it will only take a minute or two." Oh her lips, pink, red, as an artist, even I can't recognize what color is her plump lips.

" Okay Ms. Son, if you really want to interview me about the exhibition whatsoever, we can meet up tomorrow, in my office, how does that sound?" 

 

A few meetings later and she is now mine. Well my girlfriend that is.

" Kai, I have naver been to your studio, you know, see you making art and all."

" It is a mess Naeun, I wouldn't want you to see my dirty studio." I can only chuckle.

"Oh its fine, I can handle a little mess, plus, I am a journalist at an art magazine. I've seen more art studios than you have, Kai." she laughed 

"Alright then, but promise me to not leave me okay?"

"Promise"

After a few blocks walking, we finally reach my studio. Boy, I've never seen her this excited before.

 

"Chill babe, I'm afraid you would cheat on me with this studio"

"Kai, I'm just excited because it is like unlocking a new level knowing you"

"Wow, I have a nerd for a girlfriend."

"A hot one" she winked, I can only chuckle.

 As we reach my studio and enter it, she can't stop smiling. How cute.

 

" So this is it, my studio."

"You call this a mess, the you shoulod see my room" she said

" I have been to your room remember?" here faced turn red

" Its soooo big, why don't you just live here Kai?"

"I prefer to seperate my living space and work space. Thats just how I am. I have never slept here "

"Even when you are working late?"

"Yeah"

" Well I am glad you brought me here. You really love me don't you?" she said with a big grin on her face

"I do, conceited nerd." she laughed hearing my response

"Hey lets go, I told you I hate doing things other than work here"

"Okay just a second I need to use your bathroom"

Panic was all I can feel. If she found the room, I must part with her. She would want to leave me.

 A few seconds after that, I hear cans falling and a shriek. She found it. I quickly run towards her.

"What is all this, Kai?" the look on her face can only be described with one word. Mortified.

 

"Look, Naeun. I can explain."

"Oh really. Well explain the dead bodies hung from the ceiling and maybe some more in the body bags?"

"It is all for art Naeun. I dip the dead bodies in plaster and It becomes art. It is as easy as that. Please don't leave me Naeun. I love you."

" How do you expect me to stay with a psychotic er like you? " she took out her phone

"What are you doing babe?"

"What else? I'm calling the cops" she dialed furiously

"Please don't Naeun, babe,"

"Do not call me babe you crazy ing psychotic er. You call yourself an artist . What you made, what you do, thats not art that is ing crap."

That snapped the last sane in my mind. I snatched her phone and smashed it on the floor.

" Are you leaving me?"

"You really think I would stay with a psycho like you? Not even a chance."

 I stepped towards her. I picked up a hammer.

"You"

The hammer hit her head once.

"Said"

Twice

"You"

Again

"Love"

And again

"Me"

Naeun's body was frozen. There was not a single movement. Her chest was static.

 

She was dead.

 

I snapped and I was sane again. The anger was gone. I felt a rush. Guilt. Panic. 

"Naeun" I called once

"Naeun, wake up."

I falled on my knees. Tears burst from my eyes. I loved her, I really did.

But she made me do it. She made me hit her.

She promised to never leave me, but she was leaving me.

I had to do it. I had no choice.

 

I carried her frozen body. There is no other way.

 

 

 

[Few days later]

KIM KAI'S LAST EXHIBITION

 

 

"I heard Kim Kai was found dead in his art studio"

'Really, was he murdered?"

No, he killed himself, suicide, stress and loneliness must be the reason"

"He was a great artist, I heard his girlfriend flew away after his death."

"Yeah, nobody has seen her after his death."

"All they found in his art studio was newly made statues and a statue of his girlfriend here"

the woman pointed at the statue of Naeun

 "He really loved her."

" May he rest in peace, he was a great man"