Final

Snowed in

Snow furiously covers the ground few feet high, filling in gaps of the unknown and freezing the usual lively city. It was official- a snowstorm trapped every being in Seoul on Christmas day.

 

 That meant Yoo Youngjae was stuck with with a certain talkative busan boy in his own apartment.

 

On Christmas day.

 

And because the snow was piled up over doors, he couldn't even kick the boy out. Youngjae wonders how he ever came to this situation. He should be celebrating Christmas with his family, not with a guy he barely knows. It was that darn busan boy’s fault. Jung Daehyun, Youngjae quickly remembers his name. A scowl quickly forms on his face.

 

Daehyun, the boy who moved from Busan, to the busy city of Seoul to study in university. Youngjae quickly learnt that the boy was talkative, lively, and friendly. He was also attractive, with his crescent shaped eyes to his lightly beach tanned skin- his presence itself gave a godly aura around others.

 

Everyone believed that the boy was a saint. They all worshipped the ground he walked on, do anything to be near him, kill to be something to him.

 

At first, Youngjae didn't mind the young man, he even thought he was charming. It wasn't until Youngjae found out that Daehyun was the biggest in the world.

 

You see, Youngjae is totally in love with a certain man, his music professor, Professor Bang Yongguk. From head to toe, Yongguk was everybody's ideal type. Smart, handsome, mysterious, and intriguing. His passion for music and art made him seem even more attractive to Youngjae. Youngjae claimed it to be love at first sight.

 

It all started when Professor Bang assigned everyone into pairs. Being a class odd number amount of students, Youngjae was left without a partner.

 

“Raise your hand if you are not assigned a partner.” The professor’s deep voice fills the room. Youngjae obediently raises his arm and the professor smiles, “you'll be partnered with me”. Youngjae was ecstatic, a grin attached onto his face, it'll be his only chance to make a move on the professor. He was finally one step closer to his dream, until suddenly a certain red hair opened his mouth.

 

“Bang songsaenim, please let me partner with Youngjae!” Daehyun's loud and desperate voice woke everyone up, surprised. The professor was stunned himself, “uh, sure Daehyun”.

 

And that was how Youngjae had grown to dislike the man. In fact, he'd grown to hate the man once he found out the partner that Daehyun dumped for Youngjae, was partnered up with the professor which eventually led to a relationship. Kim Himchan, That could have been me Youngjae thinks.

 

Retract that, Youngjae wants to murder Daehyun.

 

Now he's sitting in his small apartment room pondering how he can kill the boy in his room without getting caught.

 

“You look cute when you think so much” the boy with the thicker red lips suddenly blurts out. Youngjae stares back at the Busan boy, noticing his distinct beauty spot underneath his eye.

 

“W-what?” Daehyun blushes, “S-sorry, I didn't mean that, I mean I did cause you obviously look so cute, all the time actually but I meant I wasn't meant to say that aloud, I guess I splutter out words whenever I'm nervous,” he rambles and laughs nervously, eyes suddenly more interested on his fidgety hands “, so what were you thinking about?”

 

“Different ways to kill you” Youngjae bluntly replies, his voice is void of emotion. The air is suddenly filled with awkward silence, and Daehyun awkwardly coughs.

 

Although the room was tiny, heat was easily lost due to the lack of insulation, and because of the snow covering the entire building. Youngjae shivers. He knows that he is cold but he also knows that his cheap blankets on his bed won't help so he doesn't bother moving from his bedroom door.

 

“Are you cold?” Daehyun asked, concern lacing his words.

 

“Why are you even here?” Youngjae deciding to ignore the question, irritated.

 

“You know why I'm here, you said you'd be alone for Christmas so I came over so that you won't be alone!” Daehyun clearly couldn't detect Youngjae's foul mood and grinned his pearly teeth.

 

“Here” Daehyun walked over to the pale skinned male and took off his thick woolen scarf to wrap around the younger’s neck. Immediately, warmth fills Youngjae's veins and Youngjae sighs.

 

“You shouldn't have” Youngjae whispered.

 

“Ah, it's no problem- I wasn't cold anyways.”

 

“Not that. I meant for coming over,” Youngjae stuttered, “I-I wouldn't know what would've happened if I was here alone spending Christmas alone trapped in this tiny apartment space, in the cold. For some odd reason, the feeling isn't as bad when there's someone else.” Although Youngjae had a great passion of hating the other boy in the room, he also was bored and alone before Daehyun arrived to surprised him. Truth is, the younger male was lonely. He felt as if all the important people in his life were slowly drifting apart from him, and Youngjae was scared of becoming lonely. It seemed that the only person who clinged to the others side was Daehyun, how unfortunate, he thinks.

 

“It's no problem Youngjae!” Daehyun crinkles his eyes caused by his smile, “no one should ever be alone during Christmas. I don't know what'd I'd do if I were to spend it alone. I wouldn't be able to give anything, or get anything.” His face cringes at the thought. “Oh hey by the way, I got you this” Daehyun takes out a neatly wrapped gift from his backpack and hands it to Youngjae. The gift was about the size of a shoebox and was wrapped in yellow and grey stripes with a delicately wrapped bow at the very top of the package. The present looked too pretty to touch.

 

“You shouldn't have” Youngjae can feel his heart thumper. His eyes at this point are as big as disks and “o” shaped mouth couldn't describe how he should react. Youngjae suddenly wonders why he even tries to hate Daehyun. He admits it, Daehyun is a saint. There's no way anyone could genuinely hate this guy. Youngjae sighs.

 

“Why, what's wrong?” Daehyun's eyebrows crosses in concern. Did he make the younger upset again? Lately, it seems as if all Daehyun ever does is make the fluffy male angry. Daehyun wonders why and has great determination to get the younger to like him, even as friends.

 

“Nothing, it's just it's so hard to hate you when you're always so kind and caring to me. I'm supposed to like Bang songsaenim!”

 

“Wait, you like Bang songsaenim?” Daehyun whispered. The elder male slowly lowers his head and stares at Youngjae's cheap carpeting. His head is blank at the moment, but his heart feels a pang of hurt and jealousy. Daehyun’s hands unknowingly clenches into fists.

 

“You can't like him, you can't be with him “

 

“Well obviously I can’t be with him anymore. I missed my shot, thanks you. Now Himchan is dating Bang songsaenim.” the younger sassily shot back, but instead of usually being his grumpy self, he finds himself smiling. Youngjae finds it oddly relieving that it doesn't bother him anymore. Daehyun looks up at Youngjae and their eyes meet, their eyes captivated in each other's gazes. Neither wanted to look away.

 

Maybe it was the snow, maybe it was it was Christmas, or maybe it was because of Daehyun’s warm and radiating heat, that Youngjae was out of his mind, but he really wants to kiss Daehyun's lips right now.

 

Daehyun cleared his throat, “maybe you should open it up” he gestures to the parcel in Youngjae's hands. Youngjae blushed. Geez why do I feel like this all of a sudden.

 

Youngjae takes his quivering hands to untie and unwrap the present slowly and Daehyun's eyes glitter in anticipation. Youngjae felt as if he was 8 again, back when his family was all together, sitting under his colourfully decorated Christmas tree unwrapping his present.

 

Finally, something soft and fluffy meets his hands. Youngjae finds a yellow soft toy in a shape of a bunny and Youngjae couldn't help but squirm in delight. The nostalgic feeling of receiving a Christmas present warms his soul and a smile is gracefully placed on his lips.

 

“I'm so glad” the whisper is barely heard, but Daehyun catches it.

 

“I hope you like it,” Daehyun paused and then continued and smiled back to Youngjae, “at first I didn't know what to get you but suddenly I saw this when I was randomly walking past a shop. It was so cute and fluffy and it reminded me so much of you so I-”

 

Daehyun’s words were suddenly interrupted as another pair of soft lips were placed on top of his. Daehyun's eyes as wide as saucers, but quickly reacts back to the kiss, melting back into the kiss.

 

Their lips moulded together, hearts beating furiously. Lips biting, on whatever they could get, the tempo going faster every moment. Youngjae's small hands scrunched into balls on Daehyun's plaid shirt, while Daehyun has one on Youngjae's neck, deepening the kiss.

 

Daehyun vaguely compares Youngjae's lips to a baked cheesecake. Light, spongy, and sweet, although Youngjae's lips tastes and feels unreal- it's nothing but more than what he's ever imagined.

 

The two suddenly gasp for air simultaneously, remembering that they still need to breathe. Cheeks pink and heated while lips were red and swollen.

 

“I'm sorry I didn't get you anything for Christmas” Youngjae says in between pants, trying to catch his breath.

 

“No way, you've given me the best present in my whole entire life time.” Daehyun grins, showing his pearly white teeth.

 

Youngjae grins back, and averts his eyes to the mistletoe above his head that he placed up on his door the other day. Maybe putting it up wasn't a bad idea after all.