Makos

Shark Week

“Oh my god, oh my god! They attracted a mako!” Donghae squealed, sending popcorn flying into his boyfriend’s face. “Look, Hyuk, look! All the spinner sharks are getting scared off!”

When his boyfriend invited Eunhyuk to come over to his house to watch Shark Week with him, Eunhyuk really really didn’t want to say yes. With their big, black, soulless eyes… Those horrible teeth… Eunhyuk literally would rather do anything else than put himself into a pit of anxiety to watch a show dedicated to the giant monsters.

But those puppy eyes. The way those big brown ing puppy eyes light up when Donghae talks about those devil fish just kills him. One doesn’t just say no to those puppy eyes. He’s never been able to do it.

So there he was: sitting on the couch biting through a pillow as Donghae nerd ed over sharks. Big, fast, soulless, demon fish of the deep.

“Wow… They’re so beautiful and scary. Those big black eyes –HOLY LOOK HOW CLOSE THAT GUY IS TO THE MAKOS! HE’S SURROUNDED! GET AWAY GUY, GET AWAY!”

Eunhyuk quickly shoved his face into his pillow, muffling the sound of the show in the process. ‘I hate this I hate this I hate this I hate this,’ he chanted to himself. He could feel his face getting red from embarrassment but he was doing all he could to stay on the couch with Donghae. If he had his way, he would have made up a lame excuse about eating bad meat so he could hide in the bathroom for the rest of the night. But Eunhyuk could see it now –those big brown puppy eyes would droop and he would never hear the end of it. He needed to stay for Donghae.

‘Curse those puppy eyes,’ he grumbled to himself.

Suddenly, a pair of hands grabbed his shoulders and began to shake him.

“They lured a mako after the deco dolphin, Eunhyuk! You’re missing it!” Donghae squealed excitedly.

Eunhyuk peeked out from behind his pillow to catch a glance at the screen, snuggling himself towards the other for comfort. He stared in horror as the cast threw bloody fish flesh to bait more sharks to the area.

“Something even larger approaches….” The narrator’s voice rumbled over the segment.

“OH LOOK AT THAT MONSTER OF A MAKO!”

Donghae sighed in awe as the narrator began to describe the shark’s most famous features like how it could jump 30 feet out of the water and how it was thought to swim over 80 miles per hour.

“Oh, wow…” Donghae smiled happily and Eunhyuk took the chance to soak in his sunshine as if it would heal his breaking mentality.

‘You are so precious…the most precious, craziest human being on Earth,’ he thought to himself with a slight smile.

The low, velvety voice of the narrator started to talk again as the cast prepared the boat: “The closer the boat gets to the mako, the bigger the risk. The mako could easily launch itself into the boat.”

“WHY ARE THEY CELEBRATING, IT’S BITING THE BOAT” Eunhyuk screeched.

“Shhhh, Eunhyuk. Calm your . They’re going to put the shark camera on it so they can see how fast makos can go.” Donghae shushed him with one hand as he shoved popcorn into his mouth with the other.

“I don’t really want to know how fast they can go. It’s just going to reiterate that I will never be swimming again,” the elder mumbled as Dongahe pecked his cheek softly.

“Shhhhhhh…”

The narrator’s voice rumbled throughout the room again as the show continued: “It’s like a missile launching itself out of the ocean, it’s so beautiful. A once in a lifetime chance to see.”

 

“BEAUTIFUL MY .”

 

“EUNHYUK!”