Final

The Black Cat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This is a oneshot~ I hope you like this, and once again, I dedicate this story to --inspiritic because she is awesome. :) (Gurl, I know this is kind of far from what you suggested, but I took a lot of creative liberty XD, so I hope you like it)

Warning: at the end, still not gonna rate this M though~

Mingyu didn’t exactly know when the black cat started coming.

He likes to think that the black cat started coming when Mingyu finally changed his front porch plants (he used to have cacti; now he has lovely golden orchids and daisies in pristine pots). His friends had pestered him about the cacti whenever they visited, and Mingyu had finally caved in and bought new plants.

Either way, regardless of the reason, Mingyu still didn’t know when exactly the cat started coming. What he did know, however, is that he really, really, wanted to invite the cat in. Mingyu had always had a weakness for cats, and the fact that he was frozen in place, staring at the black cat grooming itself, proved how much Mingyu longed for a pet of his own.

However, Mingyu was still slightly reluctant, for a couple of reasons. Number one, the black cat looked innocent when it wasn’t disturbed, but as soon as Mingyu got within 3 feet, the cat immediately turned its head to give a death stare to him. The feline didn’t even bother hissing, and Mingyu already felt like the cat could murder him in 0.2 seconds if he wasn’t careful. Number two, the cat already had a collar, basically labeling itself as off-limits.

It is an odd collar, though, Mingyu observed from behind the front door, looking through the small square window. It looked fairly tight, acting as a choker for the cat (even though the cat didn’t seem to mind). The collar was solid black, made out of leather, and there was a single gold ornament in the shape of a W in the center. Maybe his owner’s name starts with a ‘W’. Mingyu rationalized.

The cat noticed Mingyu’s staring and shivered slightly as it stared directly at Mingyu through the window. Mingyu’s eyes widened, and acting almost impulsively, opened his front door.

“Uh…”, Mingyu started, and he could swear that the cat rolled his eyes at him. “I…I saw you shivering…do you want to…maybe…come in?”, Mingyu ended in a questioning tone, not minding the fact that he was probably insane for thinking that a cat could understand him.

Which is why his eyes almost popped out of his skull when the cat looked at Mingyu and tilted its head, as if considering the offer. Mingyu’s eyes widened and, not wanting to miss this rare chance of meeting a possibly genius cat, continued. “U-uh, I have blankets and water and food to keep you feeling at home and comfortable, and I don’t want to leave you out here “, Mingyu offered, and the cat continued tilting its head for about 5 more seconds before slowly rising on its haunches, stretching, and lazily passing a shocked Mingyu to go through his front door.

Mingyu hurriedly shut his front door once the shock had worn off, and practically ran upstairs to grab his fluffiest blankets so that cat could be as comfortable as possible. He ran back down, quickly placed them in front of the waiting cat, and sprinted to his kitchen to grab a bowl and fill it with water.

When he returned with the filled bowl, the cat had already made itself comfortable, sitting on top of the fluffy blankets and stretching languidly. When it saw the bowl of water in Mingyu’s hand, it stopped stretching and rolled its eyes (That’s the second time it’s done that! Mingyu noted).

The cat yawned, jumped off the comfy blanket, and opened its mouth. “Really, a bowl?”, it sighed, its deep voice not matching its appearance at all. Mingyu stumbled back. “I am thirsty, but I’m not desperate. I thought the gold ornament would make it obvious.”

“M-make w-what obvious?”, Mingyu stuttered, trying to gather what remaining sanity he had left. This cat is actually talking to me, right? Get it together Mingyu, there’s no way—

“That I’m a wizard.” And there goes your mental health. Say hello to the hospital. “Y-you’re a WHAT?”, Mingyu screeched, massaging his head.

“I’m. A. Wizard. Harry.”, the cat repeated, then chuckled at the Harry Potter reference he just made. “The gold ‘W’ stands for ‘wizard’. Although it could also represent the first letter of my name, too.”, it continued, sitting casually while staring at the bowl in distaste.

In an effort to understand what was exactly going on, Mingyu sat up and faced the cat. “Okay, so I’m not imagining this, right? You’re an actual wizard…a talking cat, who could possibly kill me—“

“I would never do such a thing. I have class. I would get one of my students to do it.”

“I seriously hope you’re joking.”

“Maybe.”

“Okay, anyway, you’re a wizard…and you’re disguised as a cat who sits on my front porch because…?”

“Because those porch plants that you have? Yeah, they’re actually kind of rare, and I have absolutely no idea how you got them—“

“I got them at the local flower shop though! The shop owner was really nice too!”

“Let me guess, did the shop owner have a badge reading ‘Mage Express’?”

“….How did you k—“

“That would be one of my students. He knew I needed to get those golden orchids, and tricked me by selling the last of the golden orchids to you. How dare he.”

“Wait, wait.”, Mingyu burst out, clutching his head at all the new information. “That still doesn’t explain a lot. Why would you need my golden orchids, though?”

The cat paused for a moment, as if debating on whether to tell the reason as to why it needed them. Then it sighed. “I need those golden orchids for a potion.  A potion that will help me turn back into a human.”

Mingyu gasped. “You’re a human?”

The cat scrunched up its face in annoyance. “I believe the definition of a wizard is ‘someone who uses or practices magic’, as in a human who uses or practices magic.”

Mingyu held up his hands in defense. “Sorry, this is kind of too much for me right now. So, what’s the problem? I’ll give you my orchids then!”

The cat whipped its head up. “You…You’ll do that? Are you serious?”

Mingyu grinned. “Yeah, if it’s to help you! It would to stay that way forever, and I wouldn’t want to keep something that you desperately needed. Can I watch as you make the potion?”

The cat pawed its face awkwardly. “Here’s the thing. I don’t know how I can make the potion either, since I don’t have hands.” It held out its paws embarrassedly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter