Final

The Last Of Us

" Sparta 203 is now landing. I repeat, Sparta 203 is now landing."

 

Rose repeated these words several more times before Jungkook finally landed them safely onto the grassy terrain. This was their third visit in this area for the past week. Government satellites had been picking up unidentifiable signals from here for days now and it was only fair that two of the strongest and wisest among their people be sent to investigate.

 

Rose unstrapped herself and stood up, heading towards the back of the copter where all the heavy artillery was kept. Jungkook followed quickly behind her, equipping himself with futuristic hand guns and explosives. 

 

He looked at Rose, hesitantly " You ready?" 

 

She tied her hair up in a neat ponytail like she always did before they headed out and sent a small smirk his way. " Always."

 

The side of the helicopter opened with a loud swishing sound and the two soldiers stepped out onto the thick grown below them. Rose looked around her, familiarizing herself with the area once more. 

 

Grass grew wildly all over the land, sticking high up from up from the ground much like a corn field. There was one huge waterfall that poured abundant amounts of fresh spring water into a small lake. Large mountains could be seen in the distance. The meadow wasn't too far away either, but today wasn't a day to go roaming in places Rose wasn't assigned to investigate, today was a day to get her job done. After all, the area may have looked pretty, but both her and her partner knew what kind of dangers lay around these types of places.

 

Though rather than calling them partners, to their peers they were better known as "Scopers". Trained at a young age to hunt down and eliminate what was now threatening the existence of humanity, Jungkook and Rose were paired up together by the time they were 13 years old. 

 

So now the question remains, what was this threat exactly? Well, that's just what the two of them were there for. The only way to fully understand who you're going against is to learn from experience. 

 

Jungkook scanned the area with a newly produced device acquired from the lab. Of course, weapons had to be tested as well. " We're clear, " his voice echoed throughout the area, " For now."

 

Rose followed closely behind him, her hand hovering by her side where her weapons hid. Sure, Jungkook had a neat new gadget in his hands, but new didn't have any significant meaning in this age anymore. Everything was simply an experiment, therefore, all precautions had to be taken.

 

Jungkook's head shot up as he heard a faint rustling sound coming from behind a tree. Rose heard it as well and whipped out her gun, ready to shoot any possible Cypher that was within her field of vision.

 

Cyphers were strange creatures. They had the body of a human, but their skin was scaly, black, and rough. They wore masks all the time, no one knew why, but you could always see their venomous fangs sticking out from behind them. One small bite from one of those and you were a goner. No one knows exactly where they came from, but people know just how deadly they are. Within the first week of their sudden appearance on Earth years ago, they wiped out half the world's population, leaving the world's governments in panic as more and more people died each day. That was when "Project X" was created, and the plan to build an army of intensely trained, experimental soldiers, came to light.

 

At first there were 158 different people working as "Scopers". Sent from "Home Base" where the rest of humanity was kept in safety, they were to explore uncharted areas of land where Cyphers were said to lurk. Jungkook and Rose were among some of those individuals, many of their colleagues starting out just as young as they had been. Now, they were the only pair left along with two others, Nina and Jin, of whom they rarely saw due to how tedious the job of being a Scoper really was. The rest of the Scopers had either resigned or had been killed.

 

Rose rolled to the side, cornering whatever was behind that bush on one side while Jungkook stood on the other. She waited patiently as she heard these rustling sounds continue and a bead of sweat began to drip down her forehead from all the anxiety. This was a physically and mentally rigorous career, but no matter, a Scoper always had to be light on their feet.

 

The rustling stopped and a small rabbit popped out from behind the bush. Jungkook and Rose, however, continued to stay in their positions. 

 

Jungkook finally spoke first. “ Should we kill it?”

 

Rose didn’t hesitate and shot a bullet right through its head, watching as the small animal collapsed, curling up into a fetal position. This was the one thing she hated about her job, no, the one thing she hated about Cyphers. Whatever they bit, they could take the form of, and animals like these were their primary targets. Of course, Cyphers had to live too, and although they preferred human flesh animals were their only abundant source of protein around.

 

A couple of months ago Jungkook and Rose had been completing an assignment somewhere out in the forest. They spotted two of their fellow comrades, Jessica and V, both of whom had been reported missing, by a river behind the trees. Running over to aid them, they were attacked by Cyphers within minutes. They barely made it out alive. Somehow they were able to get back to Home Base where they reported the unfortunate deaths of their friends. 

 

Jungkook sighed and began to walk towards her, staring at the dead animal on the grass pitifully. " I hate having do that."

 

Rose nodded wordlessly, trying to keep her emotions in check as she looked elsewhere. These sorts of tasks had to be dealt with harshly, there couldn't be any sort of sympathy felt out in the wild. They were in Cypher territory after all and there wasn't any time for guilt or compassion, that could get you killed.

 

Jungkook took her hand and squeezed it reassuringly. A silent notion of understanding passed between the two as they stared at each other and within moments they were heading towards forest grounds.

 

Cyphers loved the forest. It was dark in there so it was easier for them to hide. That was why the two of them always landed in large clearings like the one they had today, they were right beneath the sun which made it easier to spot a Cypher when their sickly black skin glowed in the light. 

 

Jungkook lead them in between the trees, finally letting go of his partner's hand while vigilantly scanning the area. Everything from this point onwards had to be done silently, one wrong move and they could possibly end their lives. This was going to be hectic.

 

Rose treaded softly against the bumpy forest floor, her eyes quickly examining every part of the area expectantly. She was just waiting for another attack, they both were, but she knew they were heavily prepared. 

 

Jungkook sent her a small signal telling her to follow him and together they traveled deeper inside the trees. It was eerily quiet and it made shivers run up and down their spines. Finally, they heard a flurry of low groans coming up ahead. 

 

Cyphers, and from what they could hear, there were hundreds of them. They knew they had to keep moving though. If they could locate exactly where the sound was coming from, then they had the chances of discovering a Cypher hideout which was crucial information needed back at Home Base. If they found a hideout, a large attack could be planned by the government and this entire catastrophe could finally be over with. 

 

You see, the problem with Cyphers wasn’t the fact that they were indestructible, they were not immortal, they died fairly easily. The problem was that their population, regardless of how many of them were killed, somehow continued to grow day by day. This was when suspicions arose that their must be a source as to where all these Cyphers are coming from. The most probable area to find such sources would be a hideout, precisely why this assignment may have become one of the most significant to both Jungkook and Rose’s lives. 

 

Jungkook continued to lead the way as they got closer to the sounds and found a decent spot to hide, high up in a tree. Rose grabbed onto his arm and hauled herself up quietly on a branch beside him. The moment she looked down, her eyes widened. There were so many of them, scattered all around, hooting and hollering mindlessly like the wild beings they were. A soft green glowing light came from within a cave where more and more Cyphers seemed to appear from and at that moment she knew that was where the source must’ve been hid. This was big. If they could make it back to their copter without being caught, they had the chance of possibly saving humanity once and for all. 

 

She looked over at Jungkook and he looked back at her with the same determined expression. Together, they carefully climbed down the tree, trying not to make a single sound, but it wouldn’t have mattered what with how loud the Cyphers were being down in their inconspicuous hideout. 

 

However, just as Rose turned around to get ready to leave, she was met face to face with a Cypher. She instinctively pulled out her gun and shot the creature in the chest, immediately killing it, the only problem was that it didn’t go quietly. It’s moans and groans rang throughout the forest and suddenly the shouting from the hideout was gone.

 

Jungkook looked at her with a panicked expression and swiftly grabbed onto her hand, heading off into a sprint. They needed to get out of there and fast. Their presence was now known by every Cypher they had previously seen while perched on that tree which meant that if they weren’t out of the forest in the next ten seconds, they were as good as gone.

 

Rose followed him as fast her legs could take her. She could feel the burning sensation seeping up into her thighs but she knew couldn’t stop. The sounds had begun once again, but this time she could hear them coming towards her. Jung kook was huffing and puffing beside her and she could feel him holding onto her hand tighter and tighter. Adrenaline was pumping through her veins and before she knew it she could see their helicopter in the near distance. They were so close, but that’s when Rose felt herself being yanked from her partner’s grip. 

 

She screamed as she could feel the creature’s sharp claws sinking into her skin. The Cypher had her practically pinned down, making her unable to reach for any of her weapons. “ Rose!” She could hear Jungkook yell in panic. The Cypher’s fangs got closer and closer to her skin and Rose could practically feel her life coming to an end. She started to do the only thing she could think of doing, she began to pray. She asked for forgiveness first, for any animal she had killed that was innocent. Then she prayed for Jungkook, after all, he was all she really had left in her life. They were there for each other at a very young age, supporting one another constantly so she asked only for his happiness, for his kindness to never fade, and for his survival. 

 

Rose felt herself slipping away, the images around her beginning to fade, and next thing she knew she had out. 

 

By the time she had awaken, she realized she was in a bed. She stared at the walls around her and gasped when realizing one thing, she was alive. This was their base’s hospital. She was back home. How? She wasn’t exactly sure.

 

“ Jungkook.” She whispered in realization. Rose shot up and looked around the room for the door, only to find a large tuft of hair laying on the bed beside her, more precisely, a head. Someone had been waiting for her.

 

She hesitantly shook the seemingly lifeless body awake and was met face to face with an unfamiliar man of whom she had never met. His height was fairly average from what she could tell, he had peculiar sea blue-green hair, and he had a piercing gaze that she swore she could almost feel heating up her skin. “ Who are you?” She asked quietly.

 

The man straightened his shoulders and held out his hand for her to shake of which she carefully took as he introduced himself. “ I’m Suga, or you can call me Yoongi, it really doesn’t matter to me.” 

 

Rose nodded and looked at Suga expectantly. “ I don’t mean to sound rude, but why are you here? Have you perhaps seen Jungkook?” She had almost forgotten about her partner while engaging in conversation with this stranger and wondered if maybe he knew of the boy’s whereabouts.

 

She watched as Suga looked at her with a sympathetic expression and she almost immediately put the pieces together. “ I’m your new partner.” He whispered, his voice echoing inside the quiet hospital room. Rose could almost hear her heart shatter. If she had been assigned a new partner it only meant one thing: Jungkook was dead. It was the only plausible answer she could come up with and she knew she could do nothing about it. She felt like an idiot; she felt helpless. Why was she so weak? Why couldn’t she have saved him? And what about the source they had found? What happened to the two of them saving humanity? That could never happen now.

 

Rose stared back at the man named Suga and her stomach twisted in disgust. How could she ever regard this man as her partner? How could she ever replace Jungkook, her lover, her friend? However, she knew just how merciless her job really was. She knew this from the start, so she simply smiled politely, pulling her hand away from his grasp and said,  “ It’s nice to meet you Suga. I am looking forward to working with you.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A/N: Soooo this is just a short little drabble that I got the inspiration to write after experimenting on a website that generates random scenarios to practice with. Yeah I know the ending is pretty sad I'm sorry ;-; but I was just trying to write it realistically. Sorry if it's a little fast paced, I guess since this is so short, but thanks for reading and let me know what you think!