Chapter One

Background Noises

           Yejin slowly opened her eyes. Everything hurt. It was a familiar kind of pain, the one she experienced a lot. She was exhausted. It took her about 30 seconds of staring at the ceiling for her to realize that she was in the hospital. Yet again. She sighed heavily. It wasn’t a good sign.

            “I want you to know, that you are never going back to that place again.” She’s heard a recognizable voice. Of course her mother was there.

            “Mom, I’m definitely going back.”

            “No, you are not. I was right. You’re not going to the University.”

            “Mom, I am going to the university. I worked really hard to get accepted there, I am not going to give up now, just because I fainted once.”

            “You didn’t just faint. You could’ve died if this dear boy wasn’t nearby. You fainted on the staircase. Do you even realize how dangerous it could be for you? What if you’d hit your head?”

            “Mom it was an accident.”

            “No it was not. You were clearly too excited about the whole thing and that’s why you fainted. Stress and excitement. It’s not good for a person in your condition.”

            “Mom, nothing is good for a person in my condition, in your mind. I’m young, I want to live a little.” Her mother looked at her seriously.

            “I want you to live too. That’s why I’m forbidding you to go to school anymore. You can just continue having piano lessons at home. I’ll call Maestro if you want, I’m sure he’ll come, you’re his favorite student after all.”

            “I’m not his favorite student. He only comes because you pay him so much.” Yejin said miserably. “I can’t stay at home mom. I feel like I’m in prison. I don’t want to live in a golden cage anymore.”

            “It’s not a cage. You can leave whenever you want, you know that.” Her mother smiled a little and pushed a strand of her hair away from her face. “But you can’t go to university. It’s too dangerous.”

            “Mom, I can’t quit. I just can’t. I would rather die than quit school.” She stated which earned her a glare from her mother.

            “Don’t even say that!” She cried. “I will die, if anything ever happens to you.”

            “Mom, I’m sorry. It was my fault. I chose stairs instead of an elevator, it was a stupid decision, it’s just that. I will not do that again. I won’t try exercising again.”

            “You better.”

            “But you have to let me go back to school.”

            “I will think about that.” Which basically meant yes. Yejin grinned happily.

            “Thank you mom!” She laughed. “But wait, what did you mean by saying that this dear boy saved me? What boy?”

            “There was this sweet boy, who saw you staggering. He said that you were really pale and didn’t look good. And so he ran to you (very quickly, I must add!) and caught you at the last moment. Just as you were slipping on the stairs. You need to thank him.”

            “I will. How long do I have to stay here?”

            “At least three days.”

            “Three days?! I just fainted.”

            “You didn’t just faint. Your heart had something to do with it and so the doctors have to find out if everything is fine. And you need to rest. You were overworking yourself recently with all the practice before starting classes. You were so stressed out.” Yejin sighed again.

            “Okay, okay, I’ll stay here three days.”

            “Good.” Her mother suddenly stood up, which surprised her a little. Her mother usually wouldn’t leave her even if she begged for it. “Now, this boy was worried sick about you, and I thought that you should say thanks. So he came here, despite a very busy schedule. Apparently, he’s some sort of a singer… I’m not sure.”

            “Couldn’t you just tell him, I’m fine via phone?”

            “I could. But I wanted you to say thank you personally. He is very nice, so be kind to him as well. Now, if you excuse me.”

            The boy, that her mother was talking about was indeed this – a boy. He entered her hospital room, looking quite impressed.

            “Hi.” He said finally, stopping at her bed and standing there awkwardly.

            “Hello.” She smiled, just as awkward. “Sit, please.” He scratched his head but followed and sat down at the same chair that her mother was occupying a little earlier.

            “How are you feeling? Better?”

            “Yes.”

            “Good.”

            “Good.” It was very awkward. And he didn’t look all that confident either. Which was weird considering how handsome he was. He had no reason to be an antisocial freak like herself. “Thank you.” She added after a moment. “For saving me I mean. You didn’t have to do that.” It seemed to make him even more uncomfortable.

            “I guess. It’s no problem though. I mean, you could’ve hit your head or something.”

            “I guess.” She agreed. “Thank you… Wait, what’s your name?”

            “Jungkook. Jeon Jung Kook.”

            “I’m Yejin. Ha Ye Jin.”

            “I figured, your mother was screaming your name, when she was running here…” Yejin blushed a little. It sounded exactly like something her mom would do. She could just imagine her running through the halls and shouting her name so loud that the entire hospital could hear.

            “Ugh. She does that sometimes.” She explained.

            “Sometimes? How often do you land here?” She sighed heavily (yet again) and looked down at her knees.

            “More than I should.”

            “Why?” Jungkook asked, quite surprised.

            “I have an arrhythmia. I tend to pass out from time to time. It just happens when I’m too tired or too stressed out…”

            “Woah, I didn’t know.”

            “Why would you? Unless my mother would be running around shouting My daughter Ha Ye Jin with arrhythmia! She passed out in school! I was right! She tried to mimic her mom’s voice but it didn’t go to well.

            “I don’t recall that. She seemed pretty worried though. You must be giving her a lot of stress.”

            “I do. But wait. How old are you exactly? You call me per “you”.”

            “I’m 20.”

            “Ha! Then I’m your noona. I’m 21. Call me noona.” She ordered. It made him laugh. He leaned back in the chair and crossed his arms, looking at her amused.

            “I don’t feel like it.”

            “What do you mean, you don’t feel like it?”

            “You don’t seem like a noona to me.”

            “Of course I do! I AM YOUR NOONA.” He shook his head.

            “I don’t call anybody who doesn’t reach my shoulders noona.” He . She growled.

            “Short jokes, really? When I’m here in the hospital?” He shrugged his shoulders with a giggle. “Also, I totally reach your shoulders! I’m 165 cm.”

            “In a hat maybe. I could carry you with one hand when you fainted, you’re that small.”

            “Okay, maybe 163. But still…!” He only raised his eyebrow. “Okay, okay. I’m barely 161 cm, happy now?”

            “So you admit that you’re too short to be my noona?”

            “Yah! I’m not too short to be your noona!”

            “Seems like you are to me.”

            “You little brat!” He laughed wholeheartedly.

            “Anyways. I’m glad you’re alright.” He stood up ignoring her interjection with noona!. “I have to go now though. I have work. I’ve already been out too long.” He was about to leave when he stopped and turned around. “Wait, give me your phone number. I’ll text you, to check up on you.”

            “You don’t have to do that.” She huffed crossing her arms on her chest.

            “I want to though, so stop pretending to be mad and give me your number.” He walked over taking his phone out of the pocket. “Quickly!” She was trying to ignore him, but he was standing there, waiting, so she finally blurted out the numbers. Before leaving he called, looking suspiciously at her, but he calmed down upon hearing her ringtone (which was a part of Mozart’s Requiem) and took her phone from the nightstand.

            Only later she looked at it and saw that he saved his number as My hero.

            “This little…” She hummed while changing the name to Annoying Brat.


Hi everybody! It's my first time writing here, addressing you, my readers. I felt like I had to, since I had to rewrite the story. As I was trying to write the next chapter I realized that I really disliked the way that I wrote those two chapters. They just felt wrong and weak, and really, really fake. So I decided to scratch that and start from the beginning. I really hope that you will like this version even more.