Meeting the Devil

Falling for the Devil

Jung Taekwoon

It had been a couple of weeks in and there was already intense preparation going on for the survival reality show that was going to be hosted to decide the final members of Jellyfish's new boy kpop group. The reality show was to be called MyDol and Taekwoon knew that it was all or nothing.

Although there weren't many others he was competing against, just 6 others, no one had no idea how many members would be in the final cut. Everyone around him was equally talented and he knew he would have to put his all into the competition.

He had moved into his dorm a few days back. They all shared a dorm and his roomate was Daehwan. The 2 got along together. Neither were too outspoken and they had a platonic friendship between them. 

Practice was terribly grueling though. They would practice nearly 9 to 12 hours a day, and all of them knew nothing less than perfect would be accepted their CEO. All of them except Hakyeon that is. Hakyeon would often disappear from time to time, no doubt taking a break Taekwoon thought to himself. He also had permission to return to the dorms slightly later than the others, but Taekwoon was positive Hakyeon went out to eat every night with his free time.

He kept track of what happened during the days in a journal. Not about his feelings or some deep like that. He simply wrote down what had happened that day and made notes to himself. Perhaps one day he could look back and realize all his efforts had payed off.

Before going to sleep he'd exchange a few words with his roomate but his conversations ended there.

Again, Taekwoon wasn't a social person. He hated attention and despised public speaking. No one would expect someone like him to have dreams of becoming an idol. He was everything an idol wasnt. He was shy, harsh, and expressionless, for the most part that is. Singing, dancing, and performing were the sole reasons he'd gotten tangled in this mess. He knew that this was where he belonged. Not in the spotlight or in front of the camera, but with the music. If he made it to become a musician, he would devote himself to it. He would indeed be married to the music.

One day practice had ended early and Taekwoon needed a break from singing. Everyone was pigging out on food back at the dorm, yet Taekwoon knew that being an idol meant he had to stay in shape. In order to remain healthy he settled for a light salad for dinner instead.

He ate quickly then asked permission to his manager to step out briefly. He jogged to the park near by with a soccor ball tucked under his elbow. The air was fresh from the recent rain and his face was beaded with dew droplets.

Taekwoon shrugged his jacket off and kicked the ball around the field. No one outside his group of High school friends were aware of the fact that Jung Taekwoon had learned football (soccer). He had been training to play professional football until he broke his ankle and was rendered inable to play. Although he was initially mournful, this had given him an opportunity to explore other hobbies. As he tried to attempt to try other activities he fell into a deep passion for music. Even after his ankle had recovered he pursued singing. Though Taekwoon had loved football, he was even more deeply rooted to music.

Dancing also became another forte of his. His experience with football had given him agile feet allowing him to pick up dances with ease. Taekwoon worked hard no matter what he did. His time with football had made him rather competitive. He knew that with every loss came an opportunity, and this was his proof. 

And so his journey with music ensued. He still enjoyed passing time and relieving stress by playing football from time to time. Especially now that the pressure of games wasn't there it became more of a leisure activity to him. Sometimes he still missed the thrill of being on the field, sweating and working hard for every goal, but he knew that there was nothing he had a passion for more than music. 

He dribbled the ball with his foot and smashed it against a pole with a kick. Before he aimed for another kick, he saw out of the corner of his eye a figure leaning against the fence. With renewed energy, Taekwoon kicked the ball across the field. He ran to the ball and then spun on his heels to look at the figure standing behind him. It was none other than Cha Hakyeon.

The corners of Hakyeon's mouth quirked up. "What are you up to Jung- Hyung?" he exclaimed with an amused grin.

Taekwoon responded with a glare. 

"I didn't know you played football Taekwoon-ah" he went on, oblivious to the displeasure of Taekwoon as he cringed at the nicknames. "...but then again, I don't know much about you at all now do I?"

Taekwoon intesified his glare.

Still, on Hakyeon went "We have shared a dorm room for 3 weeks now, yet I have never spoken with you," he paused for a bit, "for that matter, I've barely heard you speak. The most I've heard you say was 'pass the chicken please' once during dinner. That and sometimes you mutter a few words with Daehwan or Nakhun. You don't align yourself with others at all. Why is that you are so cold hyung? Or is it just me that you fear?" he finished with his impish grin. 

"Do you think of yourself as some sort of endearing charmer?"

To both they're surprised it was Taekwoon who said this.

Hakyeon exclaimed, "Excuse me hyu--" but before he could finish his sentence, he was cut off by a ball hurling towards him. It smacked the area of the fence where Hakyeon had been standing.

"I am not your hyung, Hakyeon," Taekwoon whispered icily.

Just then, the elder's phone began to buzz with a text. Only he was allowed a cellphone so that he could be contacted to gather the others. His face turned serious as he squinted at the screen.

"They want us back at the dorm," he informed Taekwoon. The latter nodded stiffly, grabbed his stuff and they jogged back.

They take the elevator to their dorm where the others, who had all gone off for a brief time and had just returned, were standing at the door step. Hakyeon peered inside at the mess within the hall and then turned to them saying "Looks like we have 3 more joining this show," and his voice was anything but inviting.