Prologue

The Northerner

In the South of the Golden Isles, a most prosperous area of the world, stood the Kingdom of Proessa. Many years ago Proessa was the first kingdom to rise up against magic - an art that had been practised for as long as anyone could remember. This uprising took place after many years of unease and growing tension between sorcerers and those who did not trust spells and spirits and demons. Travelling folk from lands afar had often been shocked at the sights they saw upon entering the Golden Isles, and they took home with them tales of the bizarre happenings there. As time went on, wise men and women from these far off lands poured in for lengthy visits in order to warn against the use of magic, for their people lived without it and they lived happily indeed. At first no notice was taken; the greatest sorcerers said that these foreigners must surely have feared them and their powers - perhaps they even felt that the inhabitants of the Golden Isles might invade their kingdoms using magic. But, as time went on, the constant calls to stop using magic began to have an effect on the population. The healing powers of herbs and ointments that sorcerers once mastered slowly fell into the hands of powerless doctors, leaving only the 'darker' side of magic to practitioners. In the midst of these changes and the growing unease, small groups of sorcerers formed societies dedicated to practising their craft. However, these societies on occasion used their magic to harm the innocent in acts of defience, often looking to prove their strength or - for the few who felt they were better than the powerless folk - their supremecy. It was in the midst of these attacks that the King of Proessa looked to the rulers of other kingdoms outside of the Golden Isles. He sought their council, eventually coming to the conclusion that in order to maintain good relations with the rest of the world, and to protect his people and throne, he would outlaw the practise of magic in Proessa.

 

After this many battles took place, but it was the sword that won out. Less powerful sorcerers were easily taken down by warriors who had trained with the sword since childhood, leading to nights in which blood would flow through the streets as if the rivers had flooded over. Eventually the sorcerers began to retreat, at first simply living in forests outside of cities and towns. For a period of time this was sufficient, but as time went on fear rose up again and trade links with the kingdoms to the east and west - kingdoms which had followed suit in banning magic - became dangerous due to the supposed threat posed by the practitioners living along routes into cities. The King of Proessa ordered all those who wished to use magic out of his kingdom entirely. He died shortly after this of natural causes, and his son was eager to continue the war against magic when he took to the throne.

 

Five years later, the king and his queen announced the birth of their son, Prince Soonyoung of Proessa. This prince was to grow up in a kingdom vastly different than that of his father and grandfather - a kingdom with no sorcerers and no magic. But he would learn of it all; he would be taught of his family's great efforts to protect and improve their kingdom. He would be warned of the dangers of magic every day of his life, and, when he grew up, he would be expected to assist his father in the battle to the rid the Golden Isles of magic entirely.