one

Gold

It was a rather slow night at the high-end bar. Well, every night is rather a slow night. Rich people are rather quiet unless when they have something to be dissatisfied with. Which is one of the reasons why Minho likes his job there as a piano player/ singer. It was always quiet and people would listen to him sing. Not to mention usually once or twice a week, one of daddy’s precious little girls would be star-struck and get him anything he wants. It was one of the perks of working there. The pay was high because the owner of the bar loved him because his customers loved him. Things were usually alright. The girls always knew why Minho was in it for with them and they just usually wanted a few days of good company. A few laughs and kisses and naughty things in between.

 

Minho was sitting at his piano when he felt like singing one of his favourites- Can’t fight this feeling by Speedwagon. Well it was one of his favourites because it was one of the best bait songs he had to fish in a big one. He had been eyeing a rather classic 1966 Shelby 427 Cobra, which is a little too expensive for him to get by himself.

And so he started playing. Starting off slow. Like when honey starts dripping down the side of the glass jar. His voice low and deep. It wasn’t close to Reo’s rocker-like higher pitch of voice but Minho’s low bass had an identity of his own. Like a spell he started creeping into the souls of his audience.

 

I can't fight this feeling any longer
And yet I'm still afraid to let it flow
What started out as friendship, has grown stronger
I only wish I had the strength to let it show
I tell myself that I can't hold out forever
I said there is no reason for my fear
Cause I feel so secure when we're together
You give my life direction
You make everything so clear

 

He eyed his audience,masking his greed with deep sorrow. Sad puppy eyes often wheeled in those ers. He looked around and found a boy staring at him with eyes wide, speechless. And Minho knows he has struck gold. He almost went off the song before regaining his composure and continued the song. All the while looking directly back at the boy with golden hair.
Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore- he finally finished the song with a soft smile.

 

Minho went off his stage and walked to the bar, getting two small glasses of brandy and took a seat in front of the golden boy.

“Wanna have a drink?” Minho said, sliding the glass across the table with his two long fingers.

“I don’t usually drink.” The boy says back, almost flustered.

“I don’t usually see you here.”

“Do you always come here?” The boy asks.

“I work here.” Minho says back. Giving the boy a smile. He was sure this would easy though it might involve the event of breaking a heart. It was obvious this boy was one of the pure ones. Minho usually got the most from these kind of rich spoilt brats but they usually like to leech and not let go. However, for that 1966 beauty, it’d be worth the hassle of getting rid of this boy in the future.

 

“What’s your name?” Minho asks. Wondering from which rich- family this boy came from. From the looks of what he was wearing, it was apparent that he was very well-off.

“Lee Taemin.” The boy answers. And Minho vaguely remembers having heard that name before.  And in Minho’s head , that means the boy must be really rich if he remembers.

“My name is Minho.”

“Hi.”The boy awkwardly says back and Minho finds it cute. The action-not the boy of course because feelings for the boy are out of question.

“Now that we’re not strangers anymore, do you want to get out of this place and go somewhere else?” Minho leans in closer and asks. The proximity always, always gets him a yes.

“I’m not suppose to be out so late.” He says.

“Why so?” Minho asks.

“The people at home would get mad.” The boy answers.

“Then, how about we just walk around, get some ice-cream and you can be on your way home?” Minho coaxes. He really wants that car.

“Why do you want to have ice-cream with me?” The boy asks innocently.

“Because you’re very pretty.” Minho answers with a smile. He wasn’t lying. The boy is really pretty. He must be the son of an actress and some stinking rich old money.

“A lot of people say that.” Taemin answers back.

“So you don’t want to have ice-cream?” Minho takes his response as a no. The kid is a boy, he must not like being called pretty.

“Well, if you’re buying.” The boy smiles back and Minho swears he isn’t charmed by the boy even one bit.

 

And they went out for ice-cream. It was cold and it didn’t make sense why would anyone eat ice-cream when it’s freezing cold but Taemin’s nose was red and he was smilling and Minho found himself wishing something he had never wished before with a target-he wanted it to never end. Even if he had to buy(he never bought anyone anything before) hundreds and thousands of ice-cream to stuff Lee Taemin with.

 

 

It was the next night when Minho decides to play that song again. He swears its not because of Lee Taemin.  He just feels like singing it again (and kinda hopes that Taemin would walk through that door again). But Taemin doesn’t and it sorta breaks his heart because he really wants that car (not because he likes the boy) but Minho supposes he can find a new target to leech off from.

And he does. By the end of the night, some sweet little daddy’s girl already asked him out for a weekend stay at her beachhouse somewhere across the country which he says yes to. He’s pretty sure by the end of that weekend, he’ll get his car.

 

It’s a week and a new old car later, when he sees Lee Taemin across at the end of the bar again. His hair is black this time and he doesn’t look as innocent as the last time Minho saw him. By the end of his session, Minho walks over to him.

“You didn’t give me your number the last time.” Minho says. Noticing how Taemin's new jet-black hair makes him look a little naughty and that kind of heats Minho up.

“You didn’t ask for it.” Taemin smiles back.

“Well, when a man takes a guy out for ice-cream-a number is warranted.”

“I didn’t know that.” The boy says and Minho notices a new watch on his wrist which Minho knows should cost about 150 thousand dollars. Damn this boy must be really rich to just whip up that much cash just to buy a watch that costs more than Minho’s new old car. Minho kinda envies that.

“New watch?” Minho asks.

“Daddy got it for me.” He says, smiling.

“Your dad must be a really nice guy.”

“He is. But he’s not home always.” Taemin says back. And it’s not the first time Minho hears this sort of story. How daddy and mommy is never home and uses money to compensate for their time and love. Oh how mothering lucky Minho thinks. His parents were never home and he never got . But then again his parents worked at a supermarket while those kids has parents owning supermarkets.

“Do you want to go out for a ride? I just got a new car.” Minho asks. Though he’s not entirely sure why. He did just get a car and he didn’t need anything much for now. His 2-bedroom apartment has already been paid off by the daughter of a high end real-estate company. His bank account is pretty fat from last month’s pretty cougar.

“From who?” Taemin asks and that sort of takes Minho aback a little. But then again, Minho figures someone must have told the boy about his reputation there at the bar. He wonders though why Taemin is still speaking to him. He must really be on one of the innocent ones, thinking he can change Minho for the better or like that. 

“My hardwork of course.” Minho answers. He did work hard. Lots of asskissing and literal asskissing.

 

And they go for a ride. Making rounds all over town. Minho loved listening to Taemin’s giggles everytime he tells the boy something funny. Or how Taemin looks incredibly fascinating by the street lights. Minho hated to admit it but he knows he is slowly but surely falling for the boy and it goes against everything he stands for- always take and never give.

Eventually the night comes to an end and he has to take Taemin home. And surely enough, he stops in front of a big mansion.

“Hey Minho.” Taemin calls for him before opening his door.

“Yeah?” Minho says back.

“I had a really good time.” Taemin says before swiftly giving him a kiss on the cheeks and leaving the car. Minho was dumbstrucked. The boy had the softest lips Minho had ever felt and Minho has felt a lot of spa-treated lips.

Minho considers it and he figures it might not be too bad to get Taemin to marry him and live rich all his life with the pretty boy. 

 

 

It was the next night when Minho hopes to see Taemin again at the bar. He was all prepared for his session before Jonghyun, the owner of the bar called him down the stage for a little chat. Minho assumes it’s the always sing this song tonight or that song.

“The bartender told me you’ve been fooling around with a Lee Taemin lately?” Jonghyun asks and Minho wonders why Jonghyun would care. He never did before.

“Yeah. Why?”

“I thought you always went for those rich kids.”

“Isn’t he rich?”

“I hate to break it down to you but he’s as much of a goldigger as you are buddy. He retired when he got married to this rich dude he calls daddy. But innocence has always been the trademark of his bread and butter. It’s creepy really. Just thought you should know before you start thinking you can sqeeuze the kid.” Jonghyun says, giving Minho a tap in the back .

Minho suddenly finds himself unable to play the keys on his piano that night.

Not because Taemin wasn’t rich. Well if he wasn’t before, he is now.

But because the boy was already married.

 

It was an hour after Minho started his set when Lee Taemin walked through those doors.  Minho pretended not see him. He was hurt in ways he did not understand. He knows he has no right to be hurt. Come on- one ice-cream date and a ride around town. It wasn’t like they were officially dating. They were nobodys with each other who wanted to have a good time.

It wasn’t long till his session ended when he went up to the bar to get a tall glass of water. He felt mellow enough that he feels even alcohol wouldn’t help drown it off.

“What are you having?” he hears a soft familiar voice next to him.

“Water.” Minho answers.

“You played good tonight.” Taemin says, taking seat on the stool next to him.

“I play good all the time.” Minho says back, colder than he intended to be.

“Are you okay?” the boy asks.

“I heard you’re married.” Minho simply answers back.

“So you heard.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Minho asks, looking at the boy. He wonders how old and wrinkled the boy’s daddy is. How Taemin would let those old clammy hands defile his sweet body just for money. God-Minho can’t help but feel like a hypocrite. He does this all the time too. Taemin wasn’t any different from him but why does he feel so – angry. No-not angry. More like sad-mad.

“You didn’t ask.” Taemin says back.

“So it’s my fault.”

“It’s no one’s fault. You didn’t ask and I didn’t tell.”

“How does it feel to be married to a crinkly old dude.” Minho says back sarcastically. God-Minho hates himself for saying so but he can’t help himself.

“How does it feel to be eaten by a cougar every now and then?” Taemin asks back.

“The money is good.” Minho replies bitterly.

“The money is good.” Taemin replies as solemnly.

“At least I didn’t get married for money.”

“Not yet.” Taemin simply replies.

“I almost fell for you, y’know.”

“You already did.” Taemin says back before kissing his cheek softly and making his move to leave.

“Wait-“ Minho says.

“Wanna go for another ride with me?” he continues to ask. He’s not even sure why. It’s not like-. It’s not like anything. And Minho could beg on his knees for anything now.

“Not tonight. Daddy wants to have dinner.”

 

And Minho goes home alone, in his shiny new old car. His song playing on the radio and he sing screams at the end of it


Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started fighting for
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
Come crashing through your door
Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore.

 

It’s stupid. Falling for Lee Taemin Minho thinks. It’s not like the boy is rich or anything.

Surely his new old car smelling like tears the next morning doesn’t mean anything at all.
 

 

 

Author's note: sorry this took so long. it wasn't till 2 hours ago when i started writing it. i haven't edited it or anything. i just felt like it should be posted asap. so i'll just edit it if i find any spelling errors of stuff like that in the future. also-studiobox, if you feel like you want it to have a happy ending or smthing like that, just tell me okay.