Ch. 1: January 8th

One & Million's More
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

January 8th

 

7:59 a.m.

 

    Reaching across the nightstand as layers ruffled from his movements, Jungkook’s left arm extends out of his sheltered warmth within thick comforters. He continuously grasps onto thin air until long fingers are clutching onto a vociferous cellular device, blaring for his attention. Silencing the phone by accepting the call, Jungkook didn’t even bother to look over the caller’s identification, knowing who it was by their appointed ringtone. ‘Why is Hyung calling so early in the morning,’ he thought as he lets out an exhausted combination of a groan and a howl into his plump pillow. Lazily glancing at the digital numbers displaying ‘8:00 A.M.’ Jungkook aligns the phone's receiver to his left ear as a raspy, “What’s up Hyung?” is said into the microphone.

 

“Don’t just ‘What’s up Hyung’ me young man. I thought I raised you better than that!”

 

Removing himself away from his phone, to prevent Jin from further damaging his hearing capabilities, Jungkook chuckles a bit. Shifting in his bed, he perches himself in a more comfortable position. Sheets caving in where his legs used to be.

 

“You didn’t raise me. Eomma and Appa did Hyung.”

 

“Aish, this kid. Do you hear this Joonie? He’s entering his rebellious phase already!” In the background, all that Jungkook could hear was Namjoon sigh exasperatedly and say, “He’s still growing Hyung. It’s a thing with kids and puberty these days.” Returning to the phone, Jin simply snickers at Namjoon’s comment and replies with an, “I guess so,” in between his light laughter.

 

Jungkook rolls his eyes at his other hyungs comment. Seriously, he’s as independent as any nineteen years old could be, if not more. He’s living on his own without any assistance from his friends nor parents, he’s paying his own rent, he’s got a somewhat decent job for a college student and he strives to always be at the top of his classes yet, here they were talking about his spring of boyhood while still on the phone. ‘God, what the hell do I look like? a prepubescent half-pint spending too much time with a splintering voice box?’ Ironic since that is exactly what he did throughout his teen years.

 

Jungkook scoffs, “I’m so~ offended Jin hyung, Namjoon hyung. Maybe I should’ve called you for permission when I logged onto disneychannel.com last night,” he releases a stale sigh, “ Anyways, what’s the point of you calling me so early in the morning again? Cause in all honesty, it’s sounds like you both just wanted to make fun of me.”

 

“Oh right right. Yes of course. I just wanted to let you know that we’re gonna head to a small cafe across town. It just opened and I’ve been wanting to check it out! Be ready by 9 o’clock with casual attire. You ditching is not an available option!” With that last word, Jin immediately hung up, leaving Jungkook to wonder. ‘What the hell does he mean by ‘we’? ‘We’ as in, him and Namjoon Hyung or ‘we’ as in, ‘I’m gonna be the third wheel,’ again?’

 

    Jungkook is usually the third wheel of every ‘outing’ that Jin hyung drags them on. Why? He has no idea. It’s always been this way since Namjoon and Jin hyung have been dating ever since he was twelve. In the beginning of the NamJin's (yes he was the one who came up with the couple name) relationship, their Eomma wouldn’t allow Jin hyung to go on any dates unless he came along for some ‘unknown’ reason, until Jungkook entered high school. Even then, he was still dragged along to a few of their dates.  Jungkook believes that their Eomma’s precautious attitude was to make sure that Jin and Namjoon hyung didn’t do anything animalistic, especially when in the presence of an ungracefully awkward minor dubbed, Jeon Jungkook.

 

Being the third wheel was horrible, if not, traumatizing at first. The dancing black hole duo’s dates forced him to endure relentless hours of diffident skinships, bashful eye contact and unprofound one-worded conversations that reiterated the entire cycle all over again; however, it was evident that the two were whipped for the other, it was mortifying nonetheless. And when he says, whipped, he means, hella whipped.

 

Swiftly slipping out of his covers and onto the wintry wooden floors, he struts over to his small bathroom that came along with his tiny, yet affordable apartment. Taking a look in the mirror, he takes a note that his bed head is too greasy to be presented in front of others and shifts the showers’ knob to a skin blazing temperature before brushing his teeth. Turning the knob down to a more reasonable temperature, Jungkook strips from his nightwear and invades the spiraling water droplets descending precipitation with his uncovered golden beige skin. Every drop trickles down his skin, warming his exterior. After shampooing and conditioning his hair, Jungkook grabs one towel to wrap around his waist in a tight hold, another to keep him insulated and another to dry his damp, entangled locks. Getting ready, he throws on a black tee with a denim jacket that’s overlapped by a thick leather coat, along with loose raven colored jeans that hugged his thighs comfortably rather than restraining his nether regions, also known as making sure that his future children aren’t uncomfortably confined.

 

    Exiting his restroom, Jungkook quickly glances at his phone for the time. Seeing that he had twenty minutes left before Jin hyung arrived he decided to busy himself. Knowing his Hyung, he’s bound to arrive in front of his apartment complex at exactly 9 o’clock --  Jin hyung hates being late to anything, ‘I don’t have OCD my .’ With some time left to spare, Jungkook takes out his agenda to re-examine his work from class, specifically his graphic design and dancing class. There’s supposedly a group of seniors being transferred to his dance one class to help Professor Son prepare the students for the upcoming dance competitions against other local colleges. ‘Hopefully they aren’t too entitled into being asswholes.’ He rolls his eyes at the thought.

 

Before Jungkook could continue any further, his phone rang, once again, for his attention, notifying him that Jin hyung is most definitely parked in one of the available spots for the cheap complex. Once Jin’s car arrives, Jungkook is practically jumping into the passenger's side of Jin’s car. He slams the door shut and pulls the seat belt over his torso and pushes the seatbelt thing into the clicker thingy for seatbelts.

 

Giving him a quick nod, Jin greets Jungkook with a joyous grin. “Hey Jungkookie, you ready?”

 

Jungkook only gives back a subtle smile. “Yeah Hyung.”

 

“Good. Also, the next time you decide to batman your way into my precious baby, I’m gonna massacrate your giant fetus body.”

 

He laughs enough to make his eyes crinkle and replies with an, “Of course Hyung, whatever you say.”

 

“Good. I don’t want to waste my money on someone who’s going to be slaughtered soon. It’s be a pity to see such good coffee go to waste.”

 

“By the way Jin hyung, where’s Namjoon hyung? You’re always together when you invite me to your little outings,” making finger quotations at the word ‘outing,’ Jin rolls his eyes at his younger brother’s curiosity, “so what’s the big event today?”

 

“He went ahead to the cafe.” he said, avoiding his second question. To Jungkook, this was already an obvious sign that his hyung was evidently hiding something conspicuous from him. Honestly, who says that when they’re practically married and joined by the hip?

 

Jungkook turns his head to face his older brother who was overly infatuated with the road ahead. “Sure hyung, sure he did.” ‘Can’t even lie to save his life’ he thinks to himself, ‘such a pity since he wants to be a part-time actor.’

 

While Jin continues to drive, the two men sit in a comfortable silence until they arrive to the cafe. As Jin pulled into a cafe near Jungkooks college campus, he can already see Namjoon’s eye-catching silver hair across the student parking lot as he heads into the cafe first. The man has always been an eyesore with his stupidly long legs and y voice. Now he sticks out like a sore thumb with his damn hair. Somehow he didn’t like the attention but continues with the anime hair anyways. Somewhat understandable. Namjoon tried to explain to him once, but lost him once he mentioned psychological stuff.

    

    Quietly the two men calmly step out of the vehicle and into ‘Study Cafe’ with long strides. ‘What a stereotypical name for a cafe near a college campus. Taehyung could come up with a more creative name for the place.’ he thought as he rolls his eyes at the name. The brothers set foot into the rustic-ish modern cafe. Namjoon hyung was standing in line waiting to order his drink. Jin immediately fast walks to the taller male and wraps his arms around the others waist and give him a light peck on the cheek.

 

“Hey Kookie, you want anything?” Namjoon asks as he curls his long arms around Jin 's broad shoulders. Jungkook shyly distracts his eyes elsewhere from his Hyungs open display of public affection. It may not be much but honestly he still embarrassed nonetheless. Not that his hyungs are in an openly gay relationship, he could careless that they’re gay. It’s more of the fact that...he has little to no social skills, nor serious romantic relationship experiences so affectionate displays never felt necessary and more embarrassing if anything else. He wouldn’t want to be in a openly affectionate relationship either since, ‘who the hell gives a damn. I don’t need a social life beyond my fam. Oh , that rhymed!’ He lightly chuckles to himself for his mental idiocy.

 

“A caramel macchiato sounds nice.”

 

“You sure that’s all you want?” Namjoon eyes his for a second, skeptical of the younger.

 

Jungkook looks up a little to make eye contact with Namjoon, and says, “Yeah, I’m pretty sure.”

 

“Kid, look at me,” he says in a joking tone, “Last time you said that, you ate both Jin and my cake.” Jin nods his head in agreement with Namjoon hyungs’ statement, “We all know that Jin wouldn’t share his food even if you were malnutritioned or dying. And you’re his brother for godsake.” Jin lightly hits Namjoon’s arm and says, “Don’t lie you monster. I always share.”

 

“Sure Princess. Sure you would.” Namjoon smiles.

 

    While the couple continues to lightly bicker amongst themselves, Jungkook quickly whips his head to look over his pastry options within the plastic cooling container. Considering that he’s not really picky when it comes to snacks or meals as long as it has flour in it so it was hard to make a decision. Literally, every decadent pastry gleamed under the bright lighting. Each grain of sugar, each crumb, each layer of glaze evidently radiating under the LED lights.  Each pastry glistening and calling out his name, begging Jungkook to eat em. ‘Eat me. Eat me. Eat me. Eat me.’

 

“Fine. If you really insist that I get a pastry...I want the bosie tea parlor, a dark chocolate raspberry cheesecake swirl and a warm buttered croissant.”

 

“You’re lucky I care about you kiddo. Especially since I’m paying.”

 

“Hey, I’m a broke college student, what can I say, I take up on any offer that rewards me with quality food.” Jungkook says as his shoulders and hands go up in a, ‘what can i say’ position.

 

“You punka-”

 

 

 

Interrupted by Jin, “Alright you two, enough bickering,” he pushes the two boys heads jokingly, “Jungkook, go sit at table-” Jin looks at Namjoon, expecting him to know the answer of course.

 

Namjoon, getting the message through a single glance, looks down at his phone, “table 13.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter