The worst date ever...

My Cute Waiter

This could not be going any worse.

 

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes yet again, I’m pretty sure if I keep doing it my eyes are gonna get stuck in the back of my head. I’m seriously gonna kill Jin. I appreciate his intentions of setting me up on a blind date, but I don’t know where he found this guy. I mean sure he’s good looking, but he’s a tool. He’s wittering on and on about his dad’s company and how he’s gonna inherit it all. Does he think I’ll like him if he has money?

 

I let my eyes wander the restaurant, hoping that something would distract me enough to stop me jabbing my fork into this idiot’s eye. My eyes landed on one of the waiters and I sat up a little straighter. Damn he’s good looking. He so tall! And he looks so young. My date called my name and I turned around, pretending I had been listening the whole time. He didn’t even notice my complete lack of interest and just kept going on and on about his fancy cars and his designer suits.

 

I wonder how much trouble I’d get into if I pulled the fire alarm…

 

My date called for a waiter and the cute tall boy came up to our table. He is even more beautiful up close. I managed to sneak a quick glance at his nametag while my date ordered yet another drink. Jungkook. Cute name for a cute guy. He gave me a shy smile as he left our table, my eyes following him as he left.

 

Throughout the rest of the meal, I spent most of the time sneaking glances at Jungkook. The restaurant was quite quiet and I saw him goofing off with two of the other waiters. I mentally sighed, wishing that I could join in with them rather than being sat here listening to this guy prattle on. I text Jin hoping that he’d bail me out but he still hasn’t responded to me. I’m gonna kill him the next time I see him.

 

“So, you’re still a student?” I pulled my attention away from Jungkook and back to my date. “Yeah, I’m graduating this year.” He nodded, “What is it you’re studying again?”

 

“I want to be a make-up artist.” He sneered at me, “Really? Make up? I guess that would be a good as a hobby because I mean, if you’re with me, you wouldn’t actually need to work.” I almost choked on my drink. Is this guy for real? It’s our first (and definitely last) date and he’s telling me I don’t need to work? I seriously hate this guy.

 

I was rescued when my lovely waiter, Jungkook, appeared at our table, “Is everything ok? Can I get you anything else?” he asked with a cute smile on his face. “Another drink please.” I asked. Jungkook glanced over at my date and gave me a sympathetic look, “Coming right up.”

 

Over the next hour (aka the longest hour of my entire life) my date continued to blabber on and on and ing on, getting more and more drunk as he went along. I finally excused myself to the bathroom. I quickly took out my phone and called Jin. I paced back and forth waiting for him to answer. When I was just about to give up, he finally answered. “Hey! How’s the date going?” he asked cheerfully. “Jin, you need to get me out of this. Now.” I could almost hear him frown from the other side of the phone.

 

“What’s wrong? Is everything ok?” he asked. I have never been happier for Jin’s protective nature before. “The guy is a complete creep. I don’t know how you can be friends with him. Please save me.” I heard rustling on the other side of the phone, “I’m on my way.”

 

I thanked Jin and ended the call. I sighed loudly as I looked at myself in the mirror. Just deal with it a little longer. I exited the bathroom and ran smack into Jungkook. He dropped his tray of cutlery with the loudest crash I have ever heard. “I am so sorry!” I half shouted as I bent down and starting picking up the cutlery. Way to go me, that wasn’t embarrassing at all. “It’s ok, I’ll get it.” He said he as crouched down beside me and started picking the cutlery up beside me. “No, no, it’s my fault. I’ll get it.”

 

“Not in a rush to get back to your date?” he said and I let out a very unladylike snort. “I’d rather be impaled on all of these knives.” He chuckled at me, “That bad?” I looked up at him with a serious expression, “You have no idea.” As I looked at him I felt a small smile tugging at my mouth. I quickly looked back down at the mess I’d made, hoping he didn’t notice. Half of me was expecting the cliché scene where we both reach out for the same fork at the same time and our hands overlap scenario but it never happened. Ugh… I blame Jin for making me watch all those cheesy romance movies.

 

When we finally picked up all the silverware he stood and offered me his hand. I took it gratefully and straightened my dress as I stood up. “Well I guess I better get back, my friend is on his way to bail me out.” He smiled at me, “If you need a bail out before your friend gets here, signal me and I’ll come drop a glass of wine on him or something.” He said with the cutest grin I’ve ever seen. “If I didn’t think you’d get in trouble for that, I would totally take you up on that.” I gave him a smile of my own as I headed back to my table.

 

I noted that my date had managed to have two more drinks in my absence. He’s totally wasted. I sat down and he looked at me through half glazed eyes. “What took you so long?” he asked as he slid his chair round the table so it was next to mine. “There was a line in the ladies.” I said as his whiskey breath hit me in the face. I tried to scoot my chair further away from him, but he caught the leg of the chair and pulled me closer. Jin, where the are you?

 

“How about you and I get out of here? My apartment isn’t too far away from here.” He said as he slipped his hand onto my knee. I pushed it off, “No, I’m not interested.” He smirked at me, “There’s no need to play hard to get.” He said as he put his hand on my thigh this time. “Get your ing hands off of me.” I said as I tried to push him off but he grabbed my arm and slid his hand further up my thigh. I was about to scream for help when a pair of hands grabbed him by the collar of his overpriced shirt and yanked him backwards, his chair toppling over. I let out a yelp of surprise and looked up expecting to see Jin, but instead Jungkook was standing there, his chest heaving, and his face furious. "Keep your hands off of her!" Jungkook said, his voice low as he glared down at my dumbstruck date.

 

"Nana!" I whipped around at the familiar voice. Jin ran up to me and hugged me. "Are you alright, what happened?" he asked as he checked me over. "I'm fine." I said, not wanting Jin to make a fuss. He sighed and ran his hand through his hair, a sure sign he was frustrated. He glared down at my date who was picking his drunken off of the floor. "I think you better leave." Jin said not giving him any chance to explain himself. Angry Jin is scary… My date brushed off his trousers and sneered at us, "Your loss." he muttered at me as he grabbed his jacket and stormed away.

 

"Thanks Jungkook." My eyes opened as wide as they could in surprise as Jin gave Jungkook a quick hug, "You two know each other?" I asked in disbelief. Jin nodded, "Yeah, he’s my junior in university." Dammit Jin, why didn't you set me up with Jungkook instead of that idiot?

 

"Are you ok?" Jungkook asked and I gave him a nod before realising that he had literally just attacked a customer. "Oh my god! Won’t you get in trouble for that?" I asked as the reality of the situation settled in. Jungkook smiled and rubbed the back of his neck, "Probably, but it's ok."

 

Just as he said that, the manager of the restaurant ran over. "What on earth happened here? She asked, looking at Jungkook for an explanation. Before he could open his mouth, I answered for him. "Are you the manager?" I asked, catching her completely off guard. "Yes, I am." She said giving me a wary look. "Well I would like to say a massive thank you to your employee, Jungkook." The manager’s eyebrows shot into her hairline, "You would?"

 

"Yes, he noticed that I was being harassed and jumped in to help me, at great personal risk." I may have been exaggerating just a little, but I can’t have Jungkook getting in trouble because of me.

 

The manager looked flustered for a moment before giving Jungkook an approving smile, "Well, I'm glad to hear that one of my valued employees was able to be of such service to you and I’m sorry for any inconvenience caused." She said as she gave me a small bow which I promptly returned. "Not at all, I'm the one that should be apologising." She waved off my apology before thanking me once again and heading back to wherever she came from. Jungkook picked up my dates chair and put it back into its rightful place. “Jungkook, thank you.” I said, rather belatedly. He gave me a goofy grin, “Don’t mention it.”

 

Jin wrapped his arm around my shoulders, “Come on, I’ll take you home.”  I thanked Jungkook one last time as Jin paid for the evening (His way of apologising he said even though I insisted I would pay. I’ll need to cook something for him to say thank you). Just as we were about to leave, Jungkook ran up to us. “Don’t forget this.” He said as he handed me my coat. “Thank you.” I said as my fingers brushed over his. There’s that cliché moment I was waiting for…

Jin thanked Jungkook again for helping me before leading me out to his car. I sat in the passenger and let out a relieved sigh. “I’m really sorry you know.” Jin said quietly as he drove through the busy Seoul roads. “I didn’t know he was going to be like that. He’s a friend of a friend.”

I gave him a smile, “Don’t worry about it.” I pulled my coat against me and heard something rustle in the pocket. I pulled it out and was shocked to see a piece of paper with a quickly scribbled note with a phone number.

 

I’m sorry your date didn’t seem to go as planned. But I’m not sorry because you were too good for him. Feel free to call me if you would like to go on a real date.

-Jungkook

 

 Looks like tonight wasn’t a complete waste after all…