CH 1

The Accident

Sunggyu and Mari had been trying to have a baby for the last two years. Unfortunately, they had had no such luck. They had tried every procedure in the book in desperation. Come to find out, the problem lay within Sunggyu’s body. Sunggyu thought Mari would be upset with him about this -- but Mari couldn’t be mad at him.

Sunggyu and Mari had met five years ago at work. They were both middle school teachers in their first year. They started dating quite quickly after but had to keep it a secret at work. After a few years of dating they wanted a baby. Yes, everyone told them they needed to get married first but they wanted to do this their way. They were basically already living as a married couple together anyway. They shared everything with each other. Even so, they went through a lot with their families. It was exhausting.

They were tired; tired from visiting so many clinics and doctors. After thinking about it for a while, they decided that they would try one more thing. If this didn’t work out then that would be it. They would accept their fate to be childless as a couple.  Sunggyu and Mari would try artificial insemination.  The chance of pregnancy was only about 10% for Mari considering the circumstances on Sunggyu’s side but they hoped the doctor would be able to help.

~~~

“Mr. Choi, your doctor from the “bank” is on line one?” the timid secretary informed peeking through the door.

Minho looked up from his desk. “Doctor? Bank?”

“Yes… You know. “Bank.”” She stared.

Minho didn’t really have an idea of what she was talking about. “Oh… kay. Um, thanks.”

Minho didn’t have really have time for small, trivial things. He was too busy running his father’s hotel. The hotel he hoped he could turn around. All he wanted was to show his father that he was capable of succeeding. All he wanted was his father’s approval. His work was his life at the moment.

He took the call. “Yes?”

“Is this Mr. Choi Minho?” a cheerful receptionist asked.

“Yes, what is it?”

“Ah, we are just calling from the bank where you have kept your… sample.”

Minho’s eyes widened and he felt a wave of heat come over his body from embarrassment. “O… oh that bank. What is it?” he asked again.

“There seems to be a problem. Um, there was a mix up regarding your sample.”

She certainly had his attention, “Huh? W-what kind of mix up?”

“We accidently used your sample to impregnate someone.”

~~~

“WHAT?!” Both Sunggyu and Mari gasped in shock.

“Ye-yes, you heard right.” The nurse gave them a nervous grin. She was quite fidgety.  “We accidently mixed up your sample with someone else’s. We noticed this a couple days after the procedure but didn’t really think the pregnancy would take since there was such a small chance of it being successful so we didn’t call. We’re so sorry. We’ve made a huge mistake.”

They didn’t know what to say. On the one hand, it was almost a miracle that Mari got pregnant. But on the other, it wasn’t Sunggyu’s kid! This is not what they wanted. Not at all.

After a couple of hours of the nurse and doctor begging Sunggyu and Mari not to take legal action they had been given a few options. One: Mari could get an abortion. Two: She could give birth to the baby and have the father, or even another couple, adopt it. And three: she could just keep the baby and her and Sunggyu could raise it.

“I can’t have an abortion. I can’t.” Mari told the doctor and Sunggyu.

Sunggyu comforted her. “I know, babe. I know.” He sighed. “Well, we’re really going to have to think this thing through.”

Mari looked at the nurse. “Can we know who the owner of the, uh, sample is?”

“Yes, of course. We have already contacted him and he wants to meet you too.”

~~~

“Are you freaking serious?! We need to sue the hell out of them, Minho!”

Minho sat on the couch. He was still surprised by the phone call he got earlier. He sat in a daze while his wife, So Hyun, paced the room.

“Seriously? What the hell? That was supposed to be for me! For us! We were going to try in just a few months!” She yelled.

“So Hyun. I know. Please stop yelling.” Minho rubbed his hand together.

“What do you expect me to?! Be happy for you that someone is pregnant with your baby?!” She plopped herself on the couch next to Minho. “I don’t like this.”

“This was definitely unexpected.” He sighed and turned to look at So Hyun.  “I asked to meet with women who got my sample. Maybe we could meet her together and convince her to let us take the baby. We can raise it. Yes, it won’t be yours biologically but it can still be our child.” Minho put his hand on her shoulder.

So Hyun sighed. “I don’t know… maybe. We have wanted a baby for so long.”

So Hyun didn’t like the idea of raising another woman’s baby but the fact of the matter is she felt like this could possibly help their relationship. Their marriage had not been doing so well for close to six months now. She could feel she was losing Minho. She didn’t want that. However, So Hyun knew she didn’t deserve him. She had done things he would never forgive her for but maybe having this baby come into their lives could help push those things to past and never be revealed to Minho.

 

 

 

 

Note: Hey Guys. I got this idea from a show I have been watching but decided to insert these characters and modify it a bit just in case anyone sees the similarity between this and a show, haha. Basically trying to say I am aware. Thanks for reading. :)