Tale One

Hidden: Tales of a shipped off teenager

Tale 1

“Here we are, Shin-dang Residence!” Kiyoko’s mother exclaimed as she wonders why. It looked like a shabby place, probably unsafe and crime prone too. An elevator sits at the end of the empty lobby. Kiyoko was not used to this, but then again who was she to complain. It was either this or that hell of a house that wasn’t really home to her. Kiyoko and her mother make their way to the elevator with all her luggage and belongings in tow. The elevator could probably fit a maximum of ten people and stunk of sweat.

Kiyoko’s apartment was on the 8th floor of the overall 10 floor apartment building. The door was pin-coded and didn’t require a key.

1-4-4-0

A ringing sound played as Kiyoko’s mother unlocked the front door. The interior of the apartment was unlike what Kiyoko imagined; it was speck clean, beautifully furnished and had a nice warmth feeling to it. “This is home now,” Kiyoko said to herself. “Do you like it? I sent someone to fix this place up before you were to move in. You should’ve seen the place before it was fixed, oh my goo-“ Kiyoko’s mother was abruptly cut off by her daughter’s hug. “Thank you, mom. Because of you I can finally rest without fear and live in a place I can finally call home. Thank you so much.” Kiyoko tearfully said. Her mother could only put on a smile and hug her daughter tighter. Both women hugged in a comfortable silence, enveloped by relief and happiness.

“I want you to be happy now, Kiyoko. You deserved so much more than that bastard of a father you had and I don’t want to see you get hurt ever again. I’ll do anything in my power to make sure you’re safe but you still have to be careful. If not, he will find you. And you know what happens when he does.” Kiyoko’s mother said as they broke apart. “I know, and you worked hard to prepare this for me. I promise to be careful and live quietly. And I promise to smile and be happy now.” Kiyoko replied. Both mother and daughter smile at each other as they begin to unpack.

 


 

It was 9.43pm when they finally unpacked all of Kiyoko’s belongings and settled down. Luckily they packed a whole suitcase filled with ramen, frozen food and snacks so they settled on heated up pizza for dinner after a long day. Kiyoko’s mother was in the shower when Kiyoko suddenly got up from the couch and walked towards the window. The 8th floor apartment was high enough and although the building itself was shabby, the view was spectacular. “Seoul city,” Kiyoko said to herself as she admired the view. “Do you like it here? In Seoul?” Her mother’s voice asked as she exited the bathroom. “I do, I can already tell that I’ll love it here. Anywhere is better than that house, really..” she said. “Aww, come here.” Her mother brought her in for another hug. “You don’t have to think about that house anymore, alright? Forget the house. This is your house now, your home. Your new life. It’ll all be better, I promise you.” Her mother assured her. Kiyoko could only hug her mother tighter and nod silently. Her mother was right, but it wasn’t easy as that house brought memories of 18 years of constant pain. “Go and get ready for bed, it’s been a loooong day,” her mother shooed her with her towel. Kiyoko chuckled, “arasso.”

 

Kiyoko and her mother cuddled on the queen sized bed. It was the first time in a long time that they could do this as normal mothers and daughters would do. “Do you really have to leave, mom? Can’t you stay with me here?” Kiyoko asked her mother. “I would love to, but it’s risky. You never know when that man would send out his men to find us. It’s best if we both live separately, for now, until the time is right. This is for the best, Kiyoko.” Her mother explained. “I’ll miss you a lot, mom. Please be careful in England and stay safe. Don’t forget I’m only a phone call away.” Kiyoko assured. “You better don’t forget me!” Her mother joked. “How could I ever forget the best mother in the world!!” Kiyoko laughed. And with that, fatigue from the days’ events overcame them as they fall into a deep and restful sleep.

 


 

Kiyoko dreaded the time her mother was to leave for England. But like her mother said, it was for the best. “For now, it’ll be safer to stay indoors. You have enough food kept in the kitchen and it could probably last you a month or two. If you do need to go out to stock up, please be careful alright? And wear something to cover up just in case.” Her mother reminded her. “I got it, I got it. But, what about school? It’s my last year.” Kiyoko said. “I cannot enroll you right now, as he could easily find out the registration. In the meantime, we brought loads of study books for you so you can just do those first.” Her mother replied. “But I have to enroll soon or else it’ll be too late to finish up the syllabus before the final examinations.” Kiyoko complained. “Alright, I tell you what. Just make do with self-studying for a while okay? Our only bet is to find someone who is willing to pretend to be your parent. I’ll make some calls and work it out for you, alright.” Kiyoko’s mother assured her. Kiyoko saw her mother trying, trying to make sure she could finally be happy. She could at least wait a month or two for school, right? “Alright, mom.” Kiyoko replied. “I’ll miss you, mom. Stay safe.” Kiyoko said as her mother gave her one last hug. “I’ll miss you too, Kiyoko. You, be careful. And don’t forget to call alright?” Her mother replied and entered the taxi.

 

Over the rolled down window, Kiyoko’s mother reminded her on one last thing, “you’re Kim Sunbin now, remember that.”

 

And with that and one last final wave, her mother was gone.

 

“I am Kim Sunbin.” Kiyoko repeated over and over as she turned back towards the apartment building and went back up to her unit.