Life Is An Action Movie Waiting To Happen

Surviving Life In A Crazy Little World Called High School

 

 

......................................................................................................................................................

Your POV:

 

 

“All set? You sure you didn’t leave anything behind?” A handsome, young man in a white lab gown and a stethoscope strewn loosely on his shoulders said in a light, playful manner as I grabbed my white backpack from my bed.

 

Hyunjoong-oppa, otherwise known as Dr. Kim to his subordinates, is the son of director of the hospital I’d been confined in for the past three months. I’d been wary of his serious, uptight demeanor when I first came here and after I was told my old doctor had transferred my case to him, but a good three months helped me realize he was just the overly-concerned type who always thought of the welfare of his patients. He’s set to be the next director of the hospital after his father hands the position over to him when he turns 30 and he’s already showing signs that he’ll make a great president.

But that didn’t stop me from annoying his off every single day I was here though. I thought, laughing inwardly when I remembered how I made him and the nurses chase after me almost every week.

 

“I think I’m good oppa…and I’ll probably be back before you know it so---…” I answered in a mock serious tone, giving him a mischievous grin afterwards.

“Aish, you troublesome girl you…stay out of trouble, arasso?” He replied, ruffling my hair before I gently swatted it away and stuck my tongue out of him. He’ll probably still treat me like a little girl even when I’m old, gray and senile…I thought, a wry smile on my face as I shook my head in resignation.

“Aye, aye, Hyun Joong-oppa!” I replied enthusiastically, making the edges of his mouth turn up unconsciously.

“Now scram and don’t darken my hospital’s door for at least another 6 months!” He added, smiling while wrapping my white scarf around my neck gently and giving me an affectionate pat on the head. I raised an eyebrow and shook my head at his contrasting actions before turning towards the direction of the door.

“I’ll do my best…thanks for everything oppa!” I said loudly, waving him goodbye as I ran towards the exit, excited for my first day out in three months. I could hear him shouting and going crazy at my antics behind me but I was already too into my escape to care.

 

The moment I took one step out the door I stretched my arms upward and breathed in the Seoul afternoon air deeply, savoring the first time I’ve been outside for a long, long while. This smell, this taste, this feeling…I’ve almost forgotten all of it. This is really

 

 

FREEDOM.

 

 

Was the sky always this blue? Has grass always looked this soft and pretty? I thought, before laughing at my own sentimental notions. It wasn’t the first time I’d been confined in the hospital for months on end but I could never get used to the feeling of being imprisoned inside four, white, sterile walls. I’ve always ended up missing life outside more than I actually should.

I was still caught up in taking in everything, from the uniformed policeman directing traffic to the rows of shops across the street, before I suddenly remembered something and started looking around for two tall forms.

 

Weird…they DID say they were gonna be here before I’d get released…I wondered silently, glancing along the opposite sidewalks, hoping to catch sight of either of my best friends.
Granted that they were typical guys who usually got caught up in sports, games or girls (in Woohyun’s case) and forget the time, I thought they at least had enough decency and common sense left to actually fulfill their promises.

Well I guess it’s just you and me today Pinky…I thought, patting my huge pink headphones before removing it from my neck and putting it on. I pursed my lips in slight annoyance at their helplessness before sighing and trudging along the semi-busy sidewalk alone.

 

I was half-glad that my best friends didn’t show up though…this opportunity gave me a chance to explore a bit before going home. The two pabos had a tendency to get overly-concerned and overprotective of me, especially when I first get released after weeks of treatment, and would take me home without even stopping for ice cream or karaoke. Overprotective my …they just wanna keep the fun for themselves. I thought, groaning inwardly at the memory of their idiotic, mocking expressions.

There wasn’t any question that I loved them to bits and would die before seriously hurting anyone of ‘em but I couldn’t help but feel frustrated that they hadn’t changed a bit over the past 10 years the three of us have been friends.

 

 

 

“Myung, ~~~~~-ie! Check this out!” 7-year-old, chubby-cheeked Woohyun shouted, dangling something from his fingers in front Myungsoo and I who were sitting on the sandbox and attempting to build a sand castle without water.

7-year-old Myungsoo ignored him and focused his full attention on his bucket and wooden stick instead. He was attempting to create a tower for our ‘castle’ while I simply peered intently at his work, also ignoring the loud-mouthed Woohyun.

“Yaaay---…yah!!” I started to celebrate when Myungsoo was finally able to make a decent sand tower when it all came toppling down again in a few seconds, causing me to throw an angry glare at the hapless Woohyun.

“Woohyunnie!” Myungsoo shouted now, surprising me since he rarely raised his voice. Woohyun just shrugged and instead dangled something in front of Myungie’s face.

“Aish, forget about that stupid sand castle and look at this Myung…isn’t it awesome?!” Woohyun exclaimed excitedly, kicking sand unto my skirt when he continued to stomp his little feet in his excitement.

“Ooooh…it IS cool…” Myungsoo added, his voice now filled with awe and amazement when he finally caught sight of what Woohyun had been talking about. He quickly went over to Woohyun to check out his interesting thing and I could clearly hear them talking excitedly about it.

I was too angry and continued to stare at our destroyed tower, ignoring Woohyun completely, so I didn’t notice what it was that he’d been so excited about. Awww…now I can’t fight the dragon and rescue princess Myungie anymore…stupid Hyunnie…I thought, tearing up a little while I ran my fingers through the coarse, yellow sand.

“Hey ~~~~~, look at this!” I heard Woohyunnie say from somewhere behind me but I continued to ignore him. I hate you Woohyunnie…I thought, stubbornly holding my ground and ignoring the two of them. Suddenly I felt something wet and sticky touch my cheek, causing me to throw my head back a little. What IS this?? It’s small and green…it looks like a---…

“Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!” I screamed, running quickly away when I realized Woohyunnie had stuck a FROG in my face. “Get away from me Hyunnie!” I continued to scream when Woohyun started chasing after me with the frog held out towards me in one hand. Myungsoo wasn’t helping either and also chased after me, thinking we were playing tag.

Andwe! I hate icky, slimy things! Yuck!I thought while I ran towards the far end of the playground, wanting to get away from the mean Woohyunnie and Myungie. I could feel my breathing getting heavier and harder by the minute but I kept running, so afraid they’ll slide the froggy in my clothes again once they catch me.

“It’s cool, just touch it and you’ll see, ~~~~~-ah!” I heard Woohyunnie call out from a few steps behind me.

“Woohyunnie, I hate you! Get it away! Get it away now!”

“Woohyunnie! I don’t think ~~~~~-ie likes it…” Myungsoo added, his gentle voice laced with worry and concern, before stopping Woohyun’s tracks and holding the back of his shirt to prevent him from chasing after me.

“That’s stupid! Who wouldn’t like my froggy??” Woohyun insisted before taking off once more towards me.

Andwe, andwe, andwe…I don’t want the froggy!I thought, screaming with terror inside my head before halting my steps before I could reach the tall tree at the end of the playground.

I suddenly stopped running and hunched over, clutching at my suddenly painful chest. I could feel my heart beating extremely fast then stop then beat madly again…the same cycle of events whenever it was acting up again. I can’t…breathe…umma…umma, it’s so painful…I thought, the pain making my whole body go weak and causing me to fall to the ground.

When this happens, umma told me to call for her…I should---…I thought, before suddenly yelping out in pain when a strong wave of pressure passed through my chest, making me double over with pain.

“~~~~~-ie! What’s wrong?! I’m sorry, were you that scared?? Mianhe!” Woohyunnie said in a loud, worried voice, as he crouched over me, his froggy already discarded.

“~~~~~-ie! Do you have an owwie?? Where is it??” Myungsoo added, his eyebrows furrowed with concern, as he grabbed my shoulders and helped me sit up.

“Um---ma…where’s umma? My---…heart hurts…” I weakly replied in between pants, the pain in my chest slowly robbing me of my breath.

“Myungie, quick! Let’s get a boo-boo sticker [band-aid] for ~~~~~-ie’s owwie!” Woohyun suddenly said, his face lighting up with enthusiasm at his ‘genius’ idea to which Myungsoo nodded in agreement.

“Don’t worry, ~~~~~-ie! We’ll get a sticker and fix it quickly!” Myungsoo said in a serious tone while he continued to hold on to me, before Woohyunnie suddenly took off towards his house to get a band-aid.

Why are they getting a boo-boo sticker?? I need---…umma…I thought before passing out, finally exhausted from fighting the pain.

 

 

  

Aish, what a bunch of idiots…why am I friends with them again?  I thought, shaking my head in frustration at the not-so-happy-and-sentimental childhood I spent with the two. Although the memories spanned 10 years, every moment I spent with the two were still fresh in my mind even now.

I snapped out of my daydreaming and realized that I had unconsciously walked towards the direction of my house instead of my original plan of exploring the city for a bit. I groaned before stopping and turning around. I should get away from here fast or else I’ll meet them on the way and---…”Yah!”

 

I shouted when I felt two strong hands suddenly grab my shoulder, causing me to spin around and face him or her.

Whoa. I thought, gaping a little at the handsome face that beheld me before I suddenly snapped out of my initial amazement and realized he was talking to me. I couldn’t hear him for some reason and instead continued to gaze at his mouth which was moving nonstop before he suddenly took off the black coat and hat he was wearing and put them on me. He deftly removed my scarf and put it on himself, covering his face in the process.

What the---…I thought, before he suddenly took off towards the opposite direction, not even bothering to wait for me to react. Okay…? What the hell just happened? My scarf!

I touched my head, feeling a little dizzy and annoyed after being manhandled by the handsome weirdo when I realized that I was still wearing my headphones and discovered the reason why I couldn’t hear a thing he’d said earlier. I facepalmed myself before taking them off and looking towards the direction he’d disappeared off to. Unable to find him, I checked his coat for some kind of identification, hoping to find out who this mysterious thief actually is.

Was he asking me to exchange my scarf for his coat and hat earlier? I wondered, unable to comprehend this weird turn of events. I looked and looked but couldn’t find any identification inside the pockets of the coat, forcing me to give up on ever getting my scarf back. Aish, Myung’s gonna get mad at me…he gave me that just a week ago. I thought, annoyed at myself as well as the good-looking thief.

 

“It’s him! Bastard, you---…” I heard a gruff male voice say from behind, before I was suddenly grabbed by the shoulder AGAIN, causing me to turn around to face the rude assailant. “…yah, who the are you?!”

 

My eyes widened with surprise when I found four tall guys gazing at me with murderous eyes. Two of them groaned in frustration when they saw my face, the other suddenly whipping out his cellphone and started to call someone while the last, the one who had his hand on my shoulder, continued to stare me down with anger. They looked young but the black suits they had on made them look mature.

 

“W-what? Who the hell are YOU?" I returned in a tone dripping with hatred, trying but failing to remove his hand from me. Oh God, oh God…are they gangsters or something? Or maybe…CIA?  I thought, fear rising in my chest while I struggled to even my breathing, not wanting to let them know I was afraid of them.

“B-bwoh?! This little---…” The tall guy said loudly in anger, raising his hand as if to punch while I instinctively held up my hands to protect myself.

“Aish, Thunder…what are you doing scaring the little girl??” An even larger but calmer man with distractingly pouty lips said, putting a hand on the younger guy’s shoulder to stop him.

“But hyung! Aish!” The younger guy complained, before shrugging off the other one's hold on him and turning his back on me.

What the hell is this guy's problem...? I thought, both scared and annoyed right now.

 

“Tsk tsk tsk…pretty miss, I suggest you cooperate and tell us the whereabouts of Hoya RIGHT NOW…” Another guy with slanty eyes and a handsome smirk said, leveling his face with mine.

Hoya…? Who the hell is Hoya? And isn’t that…a flower's name? I wondered, before raising a confused expression at him.

“I don’t know him, okay? I suggest you ask someone else before you---…” I replied, struggling to keep my voice steady and clear despite the crazy hammering in my chest. Calm down, calm down, Park ~~~~~…

“Uh uh uh...you can’t get away that easily. I can recognize this coat and hat from a mile away little missy so I suggest you ‘fess up now before…we MAKE you confess.”  The guy said, his smirk never leaving his face for a second, belying the subtle threat in his voice.

 

So HE’S Hoya…that stupid thief! Aish, as if stealing my scarf wasn’t enough…I thought, cursing him to the depths of hell inside my mind. I looked at the catty guy once more, checking to see if he was still staring at me and groaned inwardly when I realized that he still was. If it was possible, he looked even more dangerous than the first two guys even though he was easily the most good-looking of the four. Somehow, I don’t trust that smile at all

Crap…this is dangerous. I should run but--…to which direction?I thought, scared as hell now but careful not to let my eyes leave his face or he’ll figure out my plan. I noticed that the other three had moved a bit farther away, arguing amongst themselves, leaving me only with the cat-like guy to take down. Well here goes nothing, aish---

 

“Ooooh! So THAT guy was Hoya? Mianhe, oppa, he suddenly left me with this coat without even telling me his name…” I said, putting on my best aegyo face, the one Woohyunnie taught me, as well as my best aegyo voice. I saw his face soften a little, but not completely, at my change of attitude.

“I understand little missy, it’s alright…now where did that rude oppa run off to?” He insisted, relaxing his stance a little as he continued to smile at me.

“Uhm…I think he---…mianhe!” I started to say, glancing around in all directions as though trying to remember where, before I threw my bag at his face with all my strength and took off towards the direction of my house.

 

Oh God oh God oh God…I’m so dead if he catches up with me!I thought, silently cursing that Hoya person and wishing I’d never have left the hospital without Myung and Hyunnie in the first place. I could feel that they were quickly catching up but I was too scared to look back and continued to run as if my life depended on it…which it probably did.

 

I almost screamed when I ran into a broad chest and found myself enveloped in a tight embrace. Panting hard and heavily, I quickly looked up to see who this other mysterious assailant was and breathed a huge sigh of relief when I recognized his face. Oh thank God…

“Whooooaa there…I knew you were excited to see me, yeobo, but you didn’t need to rush---…owww!” I heard Woohyun started to say in sickeningly sweet tone before yelping out in pain after being smacked by Myungie on the head.

“I can’t handle your grease right now Nam Woohyun…~~~~~-ie, what’s wrong?” Myungsoo said, rolling his eyes at the pouting Woohyunnie before turning his attention towards me, eyes full of concern.

“Must--…hide…now!” I said in a hurried whisper, in between pants, looking around quickly for a place to hide.

I didn’t see Myungsoo and Woohyun exchange a look when I dared to glance behind me and see if they were still following me. I spotted the tallest of the four guys only several meters away from where we were standing and hurriedly shifted my attention back to them.

“Let’s go!” Woohyun said, grabbing my hand and leading me towards an extremely narrow alley with Myungsoo right behind me.

It was only narrow enough to fit two people at the same time and didn’t seem to be the kind of place people would even think of entering since it was dark even though it was still afternoon. I quickly glanced over Myungsoo’s shoulder, leaning on him for support as I stood on my tippy-toes to see if the ‘men in black’ were still following me. I hid my face on his chest when I saw them pass by, before breathing a sigh of extreme relief that I’d escape unharmed.

Thank God…they’re gone, finally…I thought, putting a hand over my chest and breathing deeply as I leaned against the wall since my knees had suddenly gone weak with relief.

 

“Care to explain what the just happened, ~~~~~-ah?” Woohyun said, a big, explain-or-I’m-going-to-make-you smile on his face and his hands folded menacingly in front of his chest.

 

Oh crap. For a moment, I’d totally forgotten about the two of them. I groaned inwardly, frustrated since I was just so relieved I’d been able to escape imminent danger, only to find myself running straight into another one. Woohyun’s no joke when he gets pissed and he’s especially merciless when it comes to me…I thought, gulping unconsciously as I tried to give him an apologetic, please-understand-me smile, although I knew it only worked half the time.

"Well it's kind of a funny story actually...I mean, it's quite hilarious to be honest---" I started to say, keeping my tone light and neutral, but stopping when his smile grew even wider, a sign he was only getting more pissed by the minute.

I sighed, turning to my kinder, more gentlemanly and understanding best friend, hoping for some moral support. Myungie would help me, he’s---

 

“Three questions…first, who’s the bastard with the extremely bad fashion sense, second, who were you hiding from and third…why the hell didn’t you wait for us at the hospital??” Myungsoo said, his voice low but seeping with anger, as he gave me an icy glare.

 

 

 

Oh God. Myung’s angry.

 

 

....now I’m REALLY dead.