Final

Natural Disasters

It's Yikyung who hears of it first, and he tells them in the cafeteria excitedly as he sits down with his tray of food. "There's a new transfer student coming in! Apparently he's a very well-known jjang," he tells Jihoon and Jungho.

Heungsoo's eyes flick up from his food tray. "Do we have to be concerned about that?" Jihoon asked. Jungho glances at Heungsoo and shakes his head. Shrugging, Jihoon returns back to his meal and after realising that no one finds his news interesting, Yikyung frowns but starts eating as well.

-

It's a normal school day where Yikyung, Jihoon and Jungho are teasing Youngwoo and Heungsoo is resting with his head on the table when Teacher Jung and Teacher Kang comes in and calls the class to attention.

After Teacher Kang calls for the trio still messing around to return to their seats multiple times, Heungsoo knocks a knuckle on the table and the trio finally listen.

"Listen up, class. We have a new transfer student joining us for the rest of your school life. Please come in!" Teacher Jung calls and the door slides open. A male walks in, his jacket ed and a cool expression on his face.

The class starts gossiping with one another while Jungho, Jihoon and Yikyung look at each other, concerned about the aura that the guy is exuding.

"Please introduce yourself," Teacher Jung says. "My name is Go Namsoon. Please treat me well." Heungsoo's eyes snap open from where his head is on the table, and he looks up to the front of the classroom.

Go Namsoon looks back at him with a cold expression as the new student surveys the classroom, but Heungsoo can see the smile in his eyes. The words "I'll come find you" echo in his head, and slowly, the corners of Heungsoo's mouth turn up as he smiles very, very slightly.

Life is going to be very interesting from now on.

-

When the bell rings for break, Minki calls the class to attention and they greet the teachers before the adults walk out of class. Namsoon stands up from his seat to walk to Heungsoo's desk, with all eyes on him.

Jungho, Jihoon and Yikyung watch on, ready to interfere if necessary. Heungsoo stands up as well, and the two stand staring at each other for a few seconds.

"Park Heungsoo, it's been a while," Namsoon says. Heungsoo smiles inwardly. This is a song and dance they're both intimately familiar with, hidden meanings behind their words. It's a hello, how have you been, it's good to see you, all at once, and Heungsoo is relieved that they still know each other well enough to read between the lines despite not having met face-to-face for two years.

"Go Namsoon. You haven't changed at all," Heungsoo replies, arms crossed and face carefully blank. They stare at each other for a few moments more while the class gossips around them, the atmosphere charged with tension.

Finally, Namsoon smirks and inclines his head slightly. Heungsoo nods minutely back and they walk out of class together. Hearing footsteps behind them, the two of them lengthen their strides, heading straight for the rooftop.

Once there, they break out into smiles, knowing they only have a few minutes before the trio comes. "Couldn't have told me that you were transferring over, you bastard?" Heungsoo asks, getting Namsoon into a headlock and knuckling his head.

Namsoon punches him in the gut, replying, "Noona knew. Besides, it was meant to be a surprise, idiot." The conversation is abandoned for a play-fight that has them trying to wrestle the other to the ground, and it is this scene that the trio are greeted with when they spill out of the door onto the rooftop.

Jungho is about to launch himself at the new student when Jihoon stops him by grabbing his arm. When Jungho looks closer, he realises that Heungsoo is smiling. As they walk closer, the two separate and turn to watch them approach.

"Jungho, Yikyung, Jihoon, this is Namsoon, my childhood friend," Heungsoo introduces. "Childhood friend," Namsoon snorts, "We call each other every night and he calls me a childhood friend." Heungsoo elbows him in the gut to shut him up and Namsoon punches him in retaliation.

"Give me a break, the last time I saw you it was two years ago," Heungsoo retorted. Jungho, Yikyung and Jihoon stare at the two of them silently. It's the first time they've seen Heungsoo smile so much in a day.

Yikyung speaks up first. "Are you really a jjang? From which area?" Namsoon stares at Yikyung for a beat before throwing his head back and laughing. "You haven't told them? Are you kidding me? They've been following you for the past one year and few months and you didn't tell them?" he gasps out.

Heungsoo grumbles, "I didn't want to tell them because I already know how they'll react." Yikyung stares at Namsoon questioningly as the taller slowly stops laughing to reply.

"I'm from Gyeonggi-do," Namsoon replies amusedly. Yikyung's eyes widen. "Are you the infamous Tsunami? Or are you Typhoon?" Yikyung asks excitedly, realising just exactly what power the new student has.

Namsoon laughs again, making Heungsoo huff out a sigh. He knows where this is going, and isn't disappointed when the bastard he calls a close friend, a brother, replies, "I'm Tsunami. And you've been following Typhoon for the past year." He's laughing again.

Jungho and Jihoon's eyes widen. "Aish," Heungsoo bites out, already tired of the barrage of questions that is sure to come.

When they return to class just before the bell rings, Namsoon and Heungsoo are messing around with each other, with the trio trailing after them, talking.

Teacher Jung has to meet the principal for a short while and so gives them the period to self-study, and Heungsoo puts his head on the table, ready to nap when Namsoon comes up to him and starts to disturb him.

Heungsoo, of course, retaliates, and they're both laughing while trying to punch each other and keep up their guard at the same time when they realise that most of the class has gone silent.

The duo turn to Jihoon with questioning eyes, and Jihoon comes over to explain. The class has never seen Heungsoo laugh before. Not even once since the class came together in their first year of high school.

Heungsoo and Namsoon snort, and Namsoon returns back to his seat. Heungsoo puts on his earphones and they simultaneously put their heads on their tables to take a nap.

After evening lessons, their ragtag group of five are heading to Heungsoo's when a gang from a neighbouring school melt out of the shadows.

Heungsoo smirks and lets Namsoon step up first, and gestures for the other three to stay back. The implied order is obvious. Jungho keeps Jihoon and Yikyung back as they watch the Tsunami and Typhoon of Gyeonggi-do fight together for the first time in three years.

Within three minutes, all of the gang members are lying on the ground groaning, and the two of similar build are standing in the middle of all the downed bodies.

In that moment, Jungho, Jihoon and Yikyung understand why they were named after natural disasters.

Alone, they leave destruction in their wake.

Together, they decimate the area.

Together, they are a sight to behold.

-

Heungsoo's sister isn't home from work yet, so they are able to get the first aid kit out and patch themselves up, after which they send the trio home, but not before Heungsoo ensures that Jungho is going to stay with Jihoon that night.

After the door closes behind them, Namsoon presses Heungsoo against the front door and kisses him until they're both breathless. It's a far cry from the shy kisses they used to share before Heungsoo was scouted and left for the city life in Seoul, but it's easy for Heungsoo to see the Namsoon that he left behind in the Namsoon he sees now.

The tears come unbidden, as Namsoon breathes, "Two years, you idiotic bastard," into his mouth, and Heungsoo cannot tell if they are his own or Namsoon's.

In the end, it doesn't really matter.

After a while, they manage to separate and eat dinner, and then they settle down in Heungsoo's room, catching each other up on all the things that they were unable to talk about in the conversations that they have every night.

Namsoon messes around in his room and digs out the pair of shoes that he gave Heungsoo before he left for Seoul. "You still have this? It's so worn out," Namsoon comments.

Heungsoo says nothing for a few seconds, before replying softly into the silence, "It's from you, you idiot. You really think I'm going to throw something you worked so hard to buy away? You must be insane, you idiotic bastard."

Namsoon is silent, staring at the pair of shoes he holds in his hands.

-

Heungsoo breathes in, and stares at the front door, wondering if he'll ever have the courage to step out. After tonight, he won't be a part of them anymore. Him, who is called the Typhoon of Gyeonggi-do, who was jjang before he brought Namsoon in and willingly ceded the position to him. Namsoon won't be his friend tonight, Heungsoo knows. He'll be jjang, meting out the rightful punishment for leaving them.

Heungsoo breathes out, and doesn't want to go out there and face Namsoon's cold eyes, ready to punish him for even daring to leave them (leave him, a part of his brain whispers).

Heungsoo breathes in, and in the next breath walks out the door to meet his fate (to say goodbye to the person he has always lived for, always loved).

After, Namsoon brings him the pair of shoes. It's a congratulations, a good luck, and an apology. Heungsoo can tell Namsoon's feeling guilty about almost shattering his knee and ruining his chances of becoming a pro football player, and doesn't mention it. The pair of shoes is apology enough.

His every muscle is aching, his lip is split and his face is probably bruised to no end, but Heungsoo slips on the shoes anyway, and drags Namsoon out to play soccer with him. He chooses to ignore the voice in his head saying 'it's the last time'.

When the bus comes, Noona gets on first, heaving her luggage up and ignoring Namsoon and Heungsoo's hands reaching out to help her. For a moment, the two of them stand there in silence, two boys who grew up doing everything together from the moment they met.

"I'll come find you," Namsoon promises him fiercely, breaking the almost-tranquil silence apart from the bus rumbling behind Heungsoo.

Heungsoo smiles wanly, and replies in the most deadpan manner that he can do when he's leaving his best friend, his brother (his love) behind. "I'll be back for summer break, you idiotic bastard. You haven't seen the last of me yet."

Heungsoo moves to the back of the bus when he gets on, twisting in his seat to look out the back window. Namsoon's figure remains there until the bus turns a corner and he goes out of sight.

-

Namsoon doesn't say anything, just keeps the shoes back where he dug them out of the closet. Heungsoo has laid out a blanket and pillows on the ground, and Namsoon lies down, shifting around to get comfortable.

Heungsoo turns the light off and lies down next to Namsoon, their eyes meeting in the dim moonlight streaming in from the window. The silence is peaceful, and Heungsoo closes his eyes, ready to slip into slumber.

Before he can do so, though, he feels and hears Namsoon shift closer to him, until he can feel Namsoon's every breath on his face.

Namsoon's hand slings over his waist and Heungsoo hears what he whispers as clear as day, carrying the words with him into sleep. "I told you I'd come and find you, you bastard."

-

The last time Namsoon sees Heungsoo, it's after a day of reading manhwa and eating snacks in Heungsoo's room. His father is probably out drunk somewhere, but Namsoon doesn't want Heungsoo seeing him like that any more than he has to, even if the older has before.

The bus has arrived to take his best friend (his love) away to Seoul again and Namsoon doesn't know what to say. All he can do is reaffirm his promise that he'll go to Seoul and find him one day, instead of Heungsoo coming back to find him. Namsoon doesn't know how or when.

He just knows that he cannot live (doesn't want to live) without Heungsoo around him day and night. They have exchanged numbers (they have exchanged more than just numbers) with the new cellphones they both have, and Namsoon has Noona's as well, just in case.

They say goodbye, and Namsoon doesn't see Heungsoo again for the next two years.

Namsoon survives those two years on his own, being jjang without Heungsoo there to control him (without his compass, Namsoon is a lost ship at sea), losing his father to a freak accident, earning money to rent an apartment in Seoul and all the things that he'll need there.

Heungsoo's voice becomes a constant in his life, and he tries to make himself be happy with that (he misses Heungsoo so bad that sometimes he just sits in the corner of the house his father left for him and stares into blank space, tears running down his face). And sometimes, very very occasionally, Namsoon finds himself wondering if Heungsoo would still be by his side if he actually had shattered Heungsoo's knee that night.

When Namsoon finally has enough money saved up, he calls Heungsoo's noona, enlisting her help in getting him settled in Seoul.

When Namsoon steps into the class and introduces himself, his sight lands on a familiar figure and the broken recorder in his head wondering 'what are you doing not being by Heungsoo's side' goes blissfully silent.

That night, curled up next to Heungsoo, Namsoon says, I told you I'd come and find you, you bastard, and the human-shaped emptiness in his heart finally fades.