IKEA

Shopping List: Irene's Revenge
After breakfast, the couple was washing the dishes in the kitchen. The bright sun shone on Wendy through the small window, blinding her eyes for a moment. She sighed, today was going to be like every other day, where she ran errands alone, while Irene stayed home and ironed the clothes.
 
She had lost hope in asking Irene to shop with her, when she remembered hearing all those complaints on their way back home from Christmas Tree Shops.
 
"Wendy, do you want to go to IKEA with me?" Irene threw out a shocking invitation as she dried the last plate.
 
Wendy almost cried, finally, the homebody chose to leave her own world. This must be a miracle.
 
"Yes, I do! This is the greatest thing ever happened to me." She clasped her hands in front of her chest. If someone overheard her response, he or she would have thought Irene proposed to the girl.
 
*
 
Irene drove and drove on the high way, avoiding the weekend drivers' dangerous acts. Cursing internally for every little scare she received. Finally, after an hour-long trip, they parked at the crowded parking lot and walked to the entrance.
 
Wendy let Irene lead the way, because she didn't know what the older girl's purpose was for today, as she didn't notice anything similar to a shopping list. She was thinking along the lines of cabinets and drawers, because Irene always complained about the lack of storage space at home.
 
Out of her expectation, Irene immediately dragged her to the bed section, which was in the middle of the building, upon their arrival. Grandma wasn't even huffing and puffing, instead, she was over excited.
 
"We need a sturdier bed." Irene exclaimed and startled Wendy with her unusual loudness.
 
"What is wrong with the one we have?" Wendy questioned.
 
The bed they had at home was still holding up well, despite every event it has gone through. It was a wonder, really. Every time Joy comes over, she would inquire about the bed's wellbeing, and the outcome never ceased to amaze her.
 
"Oh, just in case we break it. I'm not sure the one at home can handle what I have in mind."
 
The snowman quirked an eyebrow at her reply, but received no further elaboration. Alright, she wasn't paying, she'll let it slide.
 
They decided on a wooden bed frame, Irene also checked that the bed's height would be comfortable for Wendy to sit on.
 
*
 
Maybe Irene had a list in mind, after all, as she continued to run around the place. This time, Wendy stood face to face with herself. That was weird. Wait, it was her reflection staring back blankly. Gosh, she looked like a robber with the black mask on.
 
"We need a huge mirror. Something as wide as the wall in our room."
 
Wendy, puzzled by Irene's decision, slightly angled her head and glanced at Irene like a puppy. Why the sudden need of mirrors?
 
"Oh, Wendy, you'll know soon. I'll do it really quickly. You'll like it a lot. I promise."
 
This did not reduce her curiosity, it did the opposite.
 
Oh.
 
"You want to make the unoccupied room a dance studio?" Wendy guessed, she had mentioned to Irene that she wanted to practice dancing again.
 
Irene almost tripped over air after hearing her answer. Wendy was so oblivious of her intentions.
 
The couple ended up buying a few mirrors with no borders. They would look seamless when leant together against the wall.
 
*
 
"We need soundproofing."
 
It seemed to Wendy that IKEA had renewed their catalogue. She never knew they sold wall padding. On the other hand, she was impressed by Irene's well formulated plan for the transformation of the room.
 
"Let's hope they work well. We don't want to have you disturb the neighbors at night now, do we?"
 
Wendy nodded in agreement. Irene understood her well, she liked to dance at night, the mood just came to her naturally.
 
*
 
"We need a waterproof sofa."
 
Did that even exist? Wendy wondered. Nonetheless, IKEA could probably magically create one if one customer required it.
 
"What about black? If it were wet, no one would notice." Irene suggested.
 
"Why would it be wet in the first place?" 
 
"You know, uncontrollable actions."
 
"That's why I said do not eat or drink on the sofa."
 
"Oh, I certainly will do it, now that you mentioned it. Just so you know, you are coming too."
 
"I'm not listening to you. I refuse to make everything dirtier in the house."
 
"I'll make you."
 
*
 
"Let's change the kitchen countertop while we're at it. You said it you need one with a bigger flat surface, right?"
 
Wendy agreed to her suggestion, the old one they bought was a tad too tall for her height and ingredients could not all be placed on the table.
 
"Here, can you touch the other side?" Irene urged Wendy to extend her hand to reach for the other side of the table, which actually made her bend over, but Wendy hadn't noticed.
 
"Perfect." Irene stood behind her girlfriend and mumbled to herself. She trapped Wendy between herself and the counter, hands next to either side of Wendy's waist.
 
"Why are you standing so close? Let me up."
 
"Sure, let you up all night long."
 
*
 
"We need a new bathtub." Irene stated.
 
"Reason?"
 
"We can bathe together."
 
"You can bathe on your own just fine. I am sticking with the shower stall."
 
"That sounds nice! Let's get that one. You can stick with the clear glass."
 
*
 
In the end, they ordered products worth over thousands of dollars. IKEA offered them a same-day shipping discount. Yes, Irene paid.
 
"I'm really touched. Unnie, that you are willing to shop with me again." Although Irene's behavior throughout the day was strange, nevertheless, Wendy expressed her gratitude towards Irene's plan of renovation.
 
"Oh, no problem. Tonight, you'll surely be touched more." Irene smirked.
 
"More surprises?"
 
"Definitely. You'll want to cry from having so much."