Chapter Three: Welcome

Salt & Pepper

Wednesday, 2:33pm, Inside the Theater

"I would like to officially welcome everyone, cast and crew to the last rehearsal day of Enemy of the People Rerun! In two days, we open the show to our audience! We are grateful that the University has decided to sponsor the extended shows so that more students and viewers can come and witness this beautiful production. In behalf of the org, I extend my big thanks to the old faces I have seen working with us since day one. I know you gave up your summer break to be with us for the past six weeks. To the new faces and recruits, I hope you had fun during rehearsals and now that the show is about to run, I welcome you to the beginning of the end. Let's all enjoy and break a leg--- figuratively ha!" Kuya Miguel stood infront of the applauding cast and crew.

This is how it feels to be part of a production. The anticipation. The excitement. The thrill. The goosebumps. The electric vibe. Let me set it straight. It wasn't my first time to be inside a theater since I was part of a similar group like this in highschool. However, this time it seemed more legit and real. The pressure was also more legit and real. College to me just seemed more serious and tangible unlike highschool.

Our cheers lasted for quite some time until the Director came up on stage. He greeted everyone in the theater as well.

"James!" I heard someone call me from the back.

I looked around and tried to check who was calling my name.

"James! Psssst!"

It was Kuya Paolo, waving from the techbooth at the back of the theater. I ran up to him and asked. "Yes Kuya?"

"James, papakilala lang kita kay Sir Abet. He's part of the Artistic Team of the Org. Legend yan sa theater world!"

"Hello Sir Abet! Nice to meet you po!" I shook hands with Sir Abet. Of course I want to make a good impression.

Paolo continued, "James is a Freshman in the University taking up Theater Arts. Hindi pa officially nagstart ang klase pero narecruit na siya ni Miguel sa org! O diba, halimaw rin si Miguel kung magrecruit this year!"

"Mahilig ka ba talaga sa theater, James?" Sir Abet asked. "Hindi madaling larangan ito. Demanding ang theater ha!"

"Yes po. I loved performing in highschool. Acting, singing, dancing, kaya ko po lahat yun!" I smiled from ear to ear. "Production nalang po ang kulang. So for now, I can start with theater production since I also want to know what happens behind the stage and behind those flashing lights. You also need to be all around with theater isn't it?"

"O diba Sir Abet? Passionate! Ganiyan rin ako nagsimula two years ago!"

"Sana nga magtuloy tuloy ka na dito sa org! Marami kasi ang nagumpisang ganiyan tapos nawala na rin after sometime. Hindi kasi nila alam na maliit ang butas ng karayom ang dapat nilang pasukin sa org na ito pero worth it naman in the end." Sir Abet mentioned. "Plus, gwapo kang bata! I'm sure maraming mahuhumaling sayo both on and off stage!"

"Lahat naman dito sa org either gwapo o maganda lang Sir Abet!" We all laughed at that remark. "James, pakisabi naman kay Miguel na fifteen minutes nalang at start na tayo ng tech run."

"Yes po!"

"Pagbalik mo, dito ka na rin sa tabi ko ha. Bring your script na rin para masabi ko sayo lahat ng cues. Ikaw na magmaman ng booth next week so kailangan natin magrehearse."

I nodded and went to Kuya Miguel to let him know of the time.

"Salamat James. Sige sabihan ko na si Marrah na magstart na tayo."

I got my script and pen from the rehearsal room and went straight to Kuya Paolo who was sitting at the techbooth. After a few minutes, rehearsals started and I still couldn't contain my excitement in.