Final

Beautiful

The moment Kim Mari got up from bed, her stomach growled loudly and she cursed softly. "Appa!" she yelled out to the other room, but she got no response. "Just what time is it? Is he at work then?" Mari sighed as she got up from bed and took the clock on her table in her hands. After a few seconds, she nodded. "It's 1pm, of course appa would be at work. Guess I have to get some food myself then." Mari sighed again before walking out of her room.

She touched the wall and nodded, before clicking her tongue loudly, and then she nodded again. Mari reached the kitchen and she opened the fridge. She crouched down and placed her hand inside, realizing that food was out and that she had to go out and actually buy some food. She hated going outside.

Mari hated that she had nothing to do now, since it was only the 2nd month out of her 3 month holiday. She had no friends, she was an outcast in her school, but a pretty smart outcast that is. Now she doesn't even know if she could still be the smart and intelligent Kim Mari she was. Her dad promised to transfer her to another school. A school which has dealt with cases like her since her current one is an elite high school that accepts no flaws.

Grabbing her jacket, she searched for her wallet, only to walk into the wall head first before bumping back in pain. "Gahhhhhh!!!!" Mari groaned in pain and slammed her hands on the table, finally finding her wallet. After that agonizing moment, Mari was finally out of the house, with a white cane in one hand, and her wallet in another.

Mari could hear the buzz of the neighbourhood, but once again, she got confused. Mari continued to walk and walk, not forgetting to tap her white cane on the floor and to click her tongue in the process. "Hot sweet potatoes at an offer! Hot sweet potatoes at an offer!" she heard the ahjumma yell out from a not so far distance.

"What i'm at the sweet potato shop? Then that's the wrong way!" Mari groaned once more before turning around. She continued walking and walking, 5 minutes turned to 10 minutes, turned to 30 minutes and she was confused of the direction that she's in. "God show me the way please. All I want is some food. Guide me please. Amen." she prayed under her breath before she continued walking.

Mari forgot to tap her white cane for a moment and she was then met with a wall again and this time, it was a really powerful collison that caused her to fall back and scrap her elbows. She really needs some forehead padding. Mari hissed in pain as she pressed against her own forehead and true enough another yelp was heard from her. She sighed and touched her elbows, feeling that it was somehow wet, she brought her finger to her tongue and tasted the crimson red liquid that was oozing from her elbows.

" i'm bleeding." she mumbled before sighing.

There was a moment of silence before she couldn't take it anymore. "Ah my life ing !" she yelled out into the public. Kim Mari was so sure that people are staring at her now, but she couldn't give a . "It ing so bad!" she exclaimed once more, finally feeling the hot tears roll down her cheeks. Her vision wasn't even blurred and she missed the sensation of her tears clouding her vision whenever she cried. Now everything is just gone.

Everything is just pitch black.

It has been a month ever since that incident.

The incident which caused Mari to be blind in both eyes. That very fateful day, Mari had an eye sore and she went to purchase a cheap qualitied eyedrop from a shop she passed by when she was returning from school. Who knew that this cheap qualitied eyedrop would be replaced by acid instead. What makes it worst is the acid didn't take effect until 20 seconds later when she was done putting the liquid in both eyes.

Kim Mari couldn't even opt for an eye transplant because her father is a mere taxi driver, and taxi drivers don't earn much. They were already having a financial crisis and Mari's blindness made everything worst. The cheapest white cane they could find was $5000 and Mari's dad had to borrow money from everyone he knew just to buy that to aid her daily living.

The debt just kept growing.

Her sobbing continued for God knows how long, until someone finally tapped on her shoulder. She just wanted to stay on the floor a little longer, but that person immediately pulled her up and she assumed that it's a guy judging on how the person can pull her up so easily. "W-who are you..." Mari stuttered from all that crying.

"Are you alright? You shouldn't be sitting on the road like that, it's dirty." he said. Mari didn't recognize that voice, not one bit. "Who are you...I don't know who you are..." she said, backing away a little. She tried to feel for her white cane on the floor but she couldn't.

"Here..." Mari heard the guy say before she felt her white cane being placed at her hand. "Where are you going? I'll bring you there." he offered. Honestly Mari didn't know whether she could trust the guy, but honestly, she has nothing to lose. If anything happens, she'll just end her life since her life was already so bad. That was how much faith she had lost.

"I want to go to the convenience store..." Mari said softly. The guy held her hand carefully and pulled her gently, carefully leading her along. Mari heard the voice of the sweet potato ahjumma growing smaller and smaller until she was sure she was far away from the sweet potato store, but somehow she felt that the atmosphere was kind of different. It felt as though she was in a totally different place. "Careful, stairs." the guy warned. Stairs? Mari didn't remember her neighbourhood having any stairs, especially not one that is 100 meters away from the potato store.

But she followed him anyway. After 5 minutes of walking she stopped. "Can I at least know where you're taking me?" Mari asked but all she got as a response was a heavy sigh. Guess this guy isn't much of a talker huh. She continued following him for another good 5 minutes before she was forced to sit on a chair before she felt the guy leave her.

"Should I just kill myself now before I get ?" Mari mumbled pathetically towards herself but then she heard the guy speak. "Father, i'm back." he said monotonously.

"Son? You're back so fast? I thought you're having school! Don't tell me you left school in the middle of classes!" Mari raised an eyebrow. The guy that brought her here is a student? Plus he sounds like a high school student! "Father you can scold me later, i'm a little busy..." the student said.

"Ya Jeon Wonwoo!" the older one yelled. Mari nodded her head. So his name is Wonwoo huh. Right after a few seconds, she could hear footsteps before she felt her arm being pulled out. "W-what are you doing?" she stuttered, startled by the sudden action. Suddenly she felt a stinging pain on her elbows as she felt that the guy was applying something. Realization dawned on her when she found out that he was actually medicating her.

Mari quietly thanked God for it.

"Oh? Who's this?" Mari heard the father ask before a gasp followed after. "Oh my, aghassi! What happened to your elbows? And your forehead?" the man asked. She honestly didn't know what to reply. Tell him that she bumped head first into a wall and fell back on her elbows? That actually sounds ridiculous for a normal person, but she forgot that she was blind for a moment there.

"I saw her falling down, that's why I brought her here. It looks like she scraped her elbows badly." after Wonwoo medicated her, he pulled her back up to her feet. "I'll bring you to the convenience store now, sorry for not telling you beforehand." he said. Mari nodded and smiled at him. Just as she was about to leave, the grumble in her stomach could be heard and Wonwoo glanced at his father, just as how his father glanced at him.

"Are you going to the convenience store because you're hungry?" Wonwoo asked. Mari felt embarrassed, but she nodded anyways. "Oh then come in and eat! I just finished cooking and I apparently made some extra food in case! Come in come in!" she could hear Wonwoo's father enthusiastically say. "Is that really okay?" Mari asked, feeling a little burdensome. Not only did Wonwoo medicate her, now they're feeding her as well. Can this really be accepted?

But before she could say anything, she got dragged inside by, presumably, Wonwoo, before she was forced to sit down again. The father and son quickly prepared the meal and placed the dishes in front of her before they got their bowls of rice. "We have kimchi on your right. Diagonally right from your bowl of rice and you have soup on your left. In front of your bowl of rice, there is pork ribs, kimchi pancake, spicy tofu and fishcakes respectively from your left to right." Wonwoo's father explained.

Mari smiled before her tears subconsciously rolled down her cheeks. She was grateful really. She was really really really grateful. "Thank you for the meal..." she said, her voice cracking up because she was crying, as she bowed her head down in gratitude. "I hope you find hope and faith through this. Good things happen to those who wait, so wait. God will surely gift you, fighting." Wonwoo's father smiled at her sadly before she nodded.

Mari finally picked up her chopsticks and her spoon and the first dish she tried is the soup. "Careful the soup is—" Mari immediately dropped the spoon when the hot soup scalded her tongue. "—is hot..." Wonwoo continued before he quickly got up and poured a glass of water before passing it to Mari. After Mari drank the glass, Wonwoo passed her back her spoon and she continued eating, but slowly this time.

Right after the meal she thanked the two for God knows how many times before she finally left with Wonwoo after his father ordered him to send her home safely. The two walked quietly, with Mari's hand in Wonwoo's warm ones. Mari smiled once more. She wanted to be friends with him. He is her so called 'savior' after all and she would also like to thank his father again, honestly she would thank and bow to him for a thousand times and she'd still continue thanking him afterwards.

"You really don't talk much do you? Mari asked, the grin still evident on her face. Wonwoo got taken aback by her sudden question before he nodded, only to remember that she can't see. "Uh yeah. I'm not much of a talker." he replied curtly. "But I am! My name is Kim Mari and i'm in my second year of high school. What about you?" she introduced herself.

"Careful, stairs." Wonwoo warned and Mari smiled once more. She really met an angel. Mari quickly urged him to introduce himself and Wonwoo finally did, even if he didn't want to. He was not much of a social person. He's shy, he's an introvert despite many girls wanting to be his friend. Yes, in school, many girls throw themselves to him, literally.

"I'm in my second year of high school too...Hwajung High School." Wonwoo said shortly. The two continued walking again as Mari nodded her head before she paused. "Is there a bench here?" she asked and Wonwoo nodded before rolling his eyes at himself. He carefully led Mari to the bench and sat down with her.

"Ah that's good. I wanted to talk to you more. Hwajung is kind of far from here and I've never really heard you before in my neighbourhood." Mari said confusingly.

"Ah, I just moved here and my father just opened a medicine shop here." Mari nodded her head once more as her lips formed an 'O' shape in acknowledgement. Things went silent for a few seconds before she felt herself being pulled in some sort of warm embrace. Mari was surprised of course. She can't really expect this from a guy who doesn't usually talk much. "I felt that you needed this hug more than anyone else, sorry if I made you uncomfortable." Wonwoo said when he pulled away.

Mari chuckled as she thanked God once more for sending an angel to her. "Why are you so nice though?" she asked curiously. If everyone on Earth was like Jeon Wonwoo, the world will certainly be a brighter, more beautiful and better place. Silence followed suit again before Wonwoo finally broke it. "My...mother was blind..." he said. There was a hesitating feeling in his tone, and Mari already knew that the person Wonwoo is talking about, has already passed away.

"She was blind...and I was supposed to fetch her from work...but I...I fell asleep at home." now it was Mari's turn to hug Wonwoo. She hugged him tightly and patted his back. Mari didn't want him to cry and based on his tone, he sounded as though he was about to cry. She was miserable enough, but she didn't want to remind anyone else for their misery, and she felt sorry that she did that to Wonwoo.

"No one helped her when she fell. So when the world is being so cruel to my mother, how can I ignore a person in the same state as she was, in need of help? No one should go through what my mother did." Wonwoo said softly and Mari smiled. It has only been one day since she met this angel, but she felt as though she could connect to him and that she knew him for a long time. He made her feel warm and fuzzy inside and she didn't know why—.

Mari pulled away and touched his face, making sure to wipe the little tears that escaped his eyes at the same time. She felt for his features. His nose, his eyes, his lips, his eyebrows, his cheekbones, everything. She smiled once more when she was done. "You're handsome!" she exclaimed, hoping that this would cheer him up a little. "No i'm not..." Wonwoo denied.

The girl shook her head as she placed her hand on her chest, where her heart was located. "Even if you're not handsome, I am very sure that your heart is beautiful.

—Maybe that's why he made her feel warm and fuzzy inside. Because he's beautiful.

 

6 years later...

Mari felt the cloth being unwrapped and the cold air finally touched her face again. She let out a heavy sigh as her eyes remained closed. That was when she felt a pair of hands wrapped around hers and she smiled lovingly. She knew Wonwoo was always beside her, she knew he will be there for her whenever and wherever ever since he slipped on the wedding ring on her third finger just last year.

 

The beautiful angel that God has gifted her certainly made a huge impact on her life. It wasn't that hard to fall in love with Jeon Wonwoo especially when Mari was coincidentally transferred to his school and he constantly looked out for her and after some time, the two became inseperable. In other words, they became bestfriends who loved each other inside out. For Jeon Wonwoo, Mari was beautiful, she was special to him. Maybe because she reminded him of his mother?

He didn't know, but he was pretty sure that he'd protect her from any harm and he kept that promise for years, even when he turned into a loving boyfriend for Mari, the promise was still fresh in his heart and he eventually proposed to her by simply slipping the proposal ring on her finger before they tied the knot the following week and finally moved in together. Wonwoo had a pretty decent paying job and apparently he secretly saved up for Mari's eye transplant.

When Wonwoo finally told her about his plans, she was extremely devastated. "No i'm not going to let that happen!" she screamed at him. "But I want to share the vision of a beautiful world with you, the beautiful life we have, I want you to be able to see my children, our future children!" he said desperately. "Please Mari ah..." Wonwoo begged and Mari cried before finally agreeing to it.

 

Mari slowly opened her eyes, her left had the familiar pitch black vision and her right was greeted by a very bright light before the brightness lowered and she finally saw her doctor and the face of her beloved lover. "Jagiya, can you see me?" true enough that angelic voice belonged to the handsome face of the man in front of her.

"It would be really bright for a while but the normal exposure will be back to normal after a few hours." the doctor said before turning to Wonwoo. "Mr Jeon, is your vision okay?" the doctor asked and Wonwoo nodded eagerly before Mari frowned. The doctor took his leave and Mari immediately cupped Wonwoo's face as she examined his face. "I'm really handsome now that you've seen me right?" Wonwoo joked.

"I'm not worried about that! Because of me..." Wonwoo put a finger to her lips, shushing her once and for all. "I did this so that I can share the view of the world with you. And that is because I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you." he smiled at her. Mari wanted to tear up but Wonwoo prevented it by quickly pressing his lips on hers to ease her heart, but no matter how many times Wonwoo kissed her, her heart will always flutter and she'd blush a thousand shades of red even though they were already married.

He pulled away after a moment to catch his breath. "Don't you dare cry again. I want you to smile." Wonwoo whispered and pushed her cheeks up. Mari chuckled before she kissed him again. Wonwoo gave up his right eye just for Mari, so that they can forever share the same view with the same pair of eyes.

Mari thought that all hope and faith was lost when she lost her vision, but she didn't know that fate has already taken care of the aftermath for her, by gifting her something beautiful.

 

 

 

 

 

By gifting her Jeon Wonwoo, and having to share his beautiful sight.

 


 

And that's the end of the one shots! I hope you guys will like it <3

It honestly took me approximately 4 hours to get this done xD

Please comment on what you think of this!

I actually got an inspiration for the ending part from the very common facebook story of how

a guy gifted his eyes to the girl he loves, but to make it a little different,

Jeon Wonwoo gifted half of his sight to Mari, so that he can share the joy of vision with her,

basically a win-win situation too, at least Wonwoo can still see and I know that

a surgery, transplant or a procedure like this is not possible, but let's just say it is for the sake of the story xD

Thank you for reading!

-Mi Eun