Classmate

The Mound Where You Belong

Chapter 1Classmate

 

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will, a quote from Mahatma Gandhi.”

 

As I finished reading the text, the students in the class gave me round of applause. While I went back to my seat, the teacher who was standing in front of class smiled in satisfaction to me. “Thank you Han Yeo Jin. That was a good example of how to read a sentence in english." The next second, she took a step closer and continued what she was saying, “Because it's almost time for break, I’ll end this class with a homework. Do it well and don’t forget to submit it on time next week.” After saying that, Mrs. Park began to write something on the board, following by students murmuring behind her back. A homework given during the first week in high school? None of the students liked the idea of that.

 

 

 

“Your pronunciation was great! A korean who has lived in America is indeed different.” Kim Yura, my new friend, praised me. But her excited face didn't last long because the next second I glanced at her, she had a long face on. She released a sighed. “Should I live in Amercia as well? It’s really difficult to say english words with my tongue.“ as she told me her concern, Yura repeatedly hit her lips.

 

To prevent her from hurting herself, I quickly grabbed her arm. When she stared at me, I smiled softly. “Don’t worry, you just have to practice frequently, so that you’ll get used to speaking english.”

 

Yura glanced at me with her sparkling eyes, “So, would you help me?”

 

We were seatmates anyway, and she was the first friend I’ve made ever since I’ve been in Korea so, why not? I nodded, letting her link her arm with mine. I was happy because Yura got excited again. When we walked by the bathroom on the way to our classroom, Yura suddenly stopped her steps. I turned my head to her.

 

“I want to go to the toilet. You go first.” She said.

 

“Alright.”

 

We waved to each other before she disappeared into the toilet room.

 

It had been a month since I’ve arrived back in Korea. Because of my father’s profession, five years ago I moved and stayed in America. And because of the same reason, I finally came back to my country. I am now 15 years old in international age and I just started my senior high school life. I enrolled in the closest high school from my neighborhood and today was my fourth day of high school. What would wait for me in the future, I am eager to know.

 

Drowning in my own mind made me unconsciously bump into someone. It was quite hard because the next second I knew, I was on the floor. There was a guy in the same position as me in front of me. He was clutching his shoulder and wincing in pain. Did I crash into him that hard? Feeling guilty, I started to crawl towards him.

 

“Are you okay?” I asked as I reach out my hand to check his shoulder and he abruptly dodged my hands, startling me. For a moment, I forgot how to breath, it was all because of his stare. With his sharp eyes, he looked straight into my eyes. I even could see my own reflection on his round eyes.

 

“Don’t touch me.” he sounded quite intimidating.

 

I gulped. “I-I just want to help you.”

 

But he ignored me and stood up while cleaning his uniform as if he didn’t hear me. However, I still had some words to say. I followed him to stand up so I could see his face more clearly. “I’m sorry, I didn’t see you earlier. Are you really okay? Your shoulder looks hurt...”

 

Not getting any respond from him, I thinned my lip. I didn’t want to felt guilty like this anymore. I should help him. When I touch his shoulder, he quickly grabbed my wrist. “I said don’t touch me!”

 

After saying that sentence, louder than before, he harshly let go of my hand and walked away, leaving me frozen like a statue. I turned my head slowly just to see his back move further and further away.

 

What’s with him? I just tried to help him. Yes, it was my fault but, I did apologize.

 

Just thinking about that irritating boy is making me upset. I hope that I would never ever meet him again.

 

-------

 

“Oh, dad. You’re home early today.”

 

He smiled, seeing me stand in front of him after he entered the house as he hugged me.  “How’s your school today, honey?”

 

“Not bad.” I stared up at him, “You didn’t have your dinner yet, did you?”

 

He pinched my nose. “Of course I didn’t, today I wanted to eat my daughter’s awesome cooking.”

 

After taking off my dad’s jacket, I went to the kitchen and prepared the dinner while dad heading to the couch and the television. I brought a tray filled with two bowls of rice and some side dishes to him. It was his habit to watch TV and eat meals at the same time. As I arranged the food at the table, I could hear the anchorwoman read the news.

 

“Han Young Ho is officially appointed as Seoul Tiger’s manager after he signed the contract with the club today. Manager Han had coached a major league baseball team in America for five years and this time he came back to Korea to manage Seoul Tiger. We couldn’t wait to see Seoul Tiger performance in the next season. “

 

“Woah, my dad always looks so handsome on television.”

 

“You indeed have good sight, my daughter.” He said proudly as he took his bowl and chopsticks to start eating.

 

We never missed our quality time together. At least three times a week, we have dinner together like today. My father is the only family member I had left, seven years ago my mother went to heaven because of her disease. So, wherever my father goes, I’ll follow him, anywhere, because he is the only one I have.

 

“This saturday, there will be an inauguration party for me. You don’t have anything scheduled for Saturday night, do you?”

 

“Hmmm... I’m not sure.” I answered.

 

“What’s that ‘hmmm’? Don’t tell me you have a boyfriend now, so you’re going to abandon your dad and let him be alone at the party?”

 

“How can I have a boyfriend when I just came to Korea not long ago?” After shaking my head, I grinned. “Don’t worry, dad, I’ll come with you. I was kidding earlier.”

 

-------

 

The first class would begin in a moment but Yura hadn’t arrived yet, making me worried. Waiting for her, I stared at the door intently. I hoped that Mr. Yang, the math teacher, wouldn’t come until my friend gets here safely. My eyes grew bigger when I noticed a familiar figure entered the classroom, it was not Kim Yura not Mr. Yang, but I did see him before. That irritating guy, it was him.

 

My eyes were following his every move. He didn’t just enter the room, he was walking casually to his seat at the back, right beside the window. As soon as he sat down, he plugged in his headphones and rested his head on the table, acting indifferent so no one dared to approach him.

 

That guy... is he my classmate?

 

While I was unconsciously gazing at that guy, Yura’s voice snapped me back to reality. "Good morning."

 

"Ah, good morning, when did you come?"

 

"Just now." after answering my question, she frowned. “Hey, what’s wrong?” she asked as she sat beside me.

 

“That guy...” I directed my gaze at him, making Yura look that way as well.

 

“Do you mean Jeon Jungkook?”

 

“Is he our classmate?"

 

“Yes. Remember the student who was absent on the first day? He is Jeon Jungkook. He just attended the school two days ago for some reason.”

 

I stole a glance at him once again.

 

Jeon Jungkook...

 

“Why? Did you also think that he is dazzling?”

 

My eyes grew bigger when I heard her question. “W-what are you saying?”

 

“Look at him, he is adorable and his face is good looking. Moreover, he also has proportional body.”

 

“I won’t be interested in a guy like him.” I pouted as I took out my math book from my bag.

 

“He is indeed ignorant, but isn’t that why he looks so cool? Lately, many girls in this school are talking about him. I was quite surprised knowing that you didn’t even realize him when you are in the same class.”

 

I sighed before I nudged my chairmate. “Ya! Stop talking about him. Mr. Yang will come in a moment.”

 

I didn’t know why, but Kim Yura had a mischievous smile visible on her lip. “Ne, Han Yeojin-ssi.”

 

 


Author's note

Hi, I'm sorry for a long update and thank you for the subscribers even though I haven't post the first chapter.

aaand, here is the first chapter, I hope you like it.

if you have any suggestion or thought, feel free to comment, I'd appreciate it a lot~