October 9th, 2015

At A Glance

Seungcheol shifted nervously in his seat, trying not to show on the outside how much of a mess his insides were. He did almost everything his mind could think of doing out of nerves. He pulled down his sleeves a little, putting them back into proper position. He unfolded his napkin, flattened it on to his lap, but ultimately returned it to its original spot back on the table. He even pulled out his phone from his back pocket about every minute and a half to check on the time.

He wasn't sure why he had let Seungkwan convince him to come to this fairly nice restaurant, wearing his nice jeans and a baby blue cardigan over a white button down. He vaguely remembered when the boy busted into his apartment about a week ago, to catch him spread out on his couch, surrounded in leftover take out boxes and candy wrappers. Seungkwan then came to the conclusion of, “You need to find yourself a new boyfriend.”

It had been about half a year since Seungcheol had his heart broken by a beautiful boy named Jeonghan. Seungcheol had found himself immediately smitten by the boy’s sharp features and amazing sense of humor. Jeonghan was the kind of guy who knew that he looked good, and didn't have a problem with letting people know that he knew. But he was able to play off how he acted by being charming and smooth explained a weepy Seungcheol to his group of friends.

Soonyoung, Seokmin, and Seungkwan had gathered at Seungcheol’s place the night Jeonghan had left him for a foreigner by the name of Joshua. The boy transferred to their University at the beginning of the semester, and with his arrival, so went Jeonghan’s love for Seungcheol.

The worst part about it was that Jeonghan didn't try to hide the fact that he no longer found Seungcheol interesting. His break up speech consisted of, “But he's just so cute when he speaks English. And he can play the guitar.” It was much more of an explanation of how Jeonghan thought Joshua was better than Seungcheol.

So 6 months and 18 days after their break up, Seungcheol found himself on a blind date, set up by Seungkwan and Soonyoung. Seungkwan was the planner for the date and had scoped out the ideal restaurant and outfit for Seungcheol, while Soonyoung was the one to provide the date. Apparently there was a boy in Soonyoung’s dance club who would be, “Exactly what you need! He’s pretty much the exact opposite of He Who Doesn't Deserve To Be Acknowledged By Name.” Seungcheol had tried to explain to Soonyoung that both that code name was way too long to be a good code name and that he couldn't be a good match if the boy was the exact opposite of what he was interested in before.

“I love the gorgeous type.” Explained Seungcheol. And Soonyoung just nodded saying, “And he is! But just not in the way He Who Ruins Lives was.” Seungcheol just narrowed his eyes at that, suspicious of what Soonyoung’s definition of gorgeous was.

About an hour before the planned meet up time, Seungcheol was standing in front of his mirror, a proud looking Seungkwan standing behind him. He had outdone himself with Seungcheol’s outfit, if he would say so himself. Which he did. Seungcheol could only stare back at his reflection, and found himself blurting out, “I don't think I can do this.”
Before he could even finish his sentence, he could see Seungkwan shaking his head in the mirror. “No way are you backing out now! You have no idea how much Soonyoung complained to me about how hard it was to get the guy to even agree to go on this date!”

“But see! The other guy doesn't even want to go either!” Exclaimed Seungcheol, trying to find any excuse to get out of this situation. The glare Seungkwan sent him was all that he needed to know that he wasn't going to complain his way out of the date.
Which is where we find Seungcheol, on his very first blind date. He was told by Soonyoung that, “You'll know it's him when you see him.” Which was literally the worst thing Soonyoung could have said when Seungcheol asked how he was going to recognize his date.

He arrived 10 minutes early, thanks to Seungkwan, who was tired of watching the nervous pacing Seungcheol was doing at his apartment after he finished getting Seungcheol ready. Seungcheol checked his phone for the nth time that night, to see it read, '6:03'. 3 minutes after the designated time of the date. Seungcheol just squinted at the offending object, making up his mind that if the boy didn't show by 6:10 that he was going to leave.

Punctuality is very important. Thought Seungcheol, trying to convince himself that he wasn't just looking for excuses to leave and never have to face this 'Jihoon' boy.
Not long after he finished that thought, he heard someone enter the front door. 
Seungcheol whipped his head in the direction, for it was the first person to enter since he did 13 minutes earlier. The place was nice, but wasn't very busy. The first thing that caught his attention was the pink pastel that was the boy's hair. The next was his height, which Seungcheol could tell was below the normal even from his sitting position.

The boy seemed to be explaining to the hostess something, but was soon done. He then started to scan the small dining area the place provided. When his eyes landed on Seungcheol, he began to make his way over. Seungcheol whipped back to his forward position, face on fire. The pink haired boy couldn't possibly be his blind date. He definitely wasn't Seungcheol’s type.

But only after a few seconds, Seungcheol looked up to see the boy slide into the booth opposite of him. While the boy was still getting situated he started to explain, “Sorry that I'm late. The bus schedule was running late. I had planned on being early but I guess that didn't happen...” Trailed off the boy.

Seungcheol just stared at the boy across from him, in a state of shock. This was far from what he initially thought was going to happen when his blind date showed up. He expected awkward introductions and uncomfortable atmosphere. Not a boy who seemed like he was meeting up with a long time friend.

His newly acquired companion was just starting to take off his jacket when Seungcheol finally find his voice. “Um.. Are you Jihoon?” Asked a confused Seungcheol.

When 'Jihoon' had finally gotten his jacket off, he laid it onto the booth seat next to him. He then looked up and made eye contact for the first time since he arrived. The only thought Seungcheol had was, Well, I guess Soonyoung wasn't lying when he said he was gorgeous.

Seungcheol was immediately entranced by his date. His face seemed quite young, but not innocent. He had a boyish charm to how he held himself, but definitely gave off the presences of someone who knew exactly what he wanted from life. The next thing he noticed was his hands. They were beautiful. Seungcheol wasn't really the type to find a single body part on someone beautiful, but he could easily see himself getting attached to the boy's hands.

“Yes I am. And I'm assuming you are Seungcheol?” Asked Jihoon in return. The boy seemed quite comfortable in his seat across from Seungcheol for someone who was just now making sure the boy at his table was indeed the Seungcheol he was suppose to meet up with.

“Yeah.... How did you know?” Seungcheol wouldn't have ever been able to pick Jihoon out if he hadn't been the one to find Seungcheol first.

Jihoon gave Seungcheol a quick once over, which had made him nervous under the heavy gaze. “Your friend Soonyoung is very good at describing you.”

Seungcheol sent a quick curse at his friend under his breath, for how could Soonyoung have given him such a vague explanation but give Jihoon a full description??

Seungcheol was quick to get rid of his thoughts of Soonyoung though, for he seemed to have a very interesting person in front of him.

“...I see.” Seungcheol wasn't really sure what to do now. He had anticipated that it was going to be an awkward date, but he hadn't taken the time to think of any topics to talk about. Luckily he was saved from the silence by their waiter coming to take their drink order.

Both ordered simple waters before the waiter turned away. Seungcheol then started talking again, not wanting to fall into silence again. “So, Soonyoung said he knows you from his dance club.”

Jihoon eyed him at that, waiting for a question to actually be asked.

“Uh, so you dance?” This was a lot harder then Seungcheol originally thought.

Jihoon nodded at that, but then started to explain more into it, if only to keep up conversation. “I do, but it's really only just a hobby to keep in shape.” Seungcheol hummed in understanding. It'd been awhile since he did anything that could resemble a work out, but that was a different story.

Seungcheol could tell he wasn't going to get much more after that, so he asked another question. “So how did you and Soonyoung become friends?”

Jihoon’s expression fell a little bit at that. “Yeah, it was definitely more of a 'I was minding my own business but then Soonyoung decided to make my business his business' then forming a friendship.” Explained Jihoon. Seungcheol also nodded at that, knowing full well what he meant by it.

But quickly they relapsed into silence. Their waiter returned to drop off their drinks and asked if they were ready to order. Seungcheol quickly grabbed at his menu, completely forgetting that he was suppose to order food. Jihoon also grabbed for his, but with much less urgency. The waiter left them again to give them time to decide.

Seungcheol was quick to decide, but Jihoon seemed to be overlooking all his options before choosing. While Jihoon was still looking, Seungcheol tried to strike up conversation again. “So have you been here before?”

“No, it's a little farther than I usually go when finding places to eat. I try to stay close to campus, it's easier.” Seungcheol just nodded at that. But when it looked like Jihoon was content with just looking over the menu in silence, Seungcheol let out a small sigh.

He was starting to feel a little miffed. Jihoon didn't seem very interested in keeping conversation. Seungcheol was never one who actually needed a second person to reply to hold a conversation, but he would at least like to know that his date was interested in him. Sure, it was a blind date, but his date could try to act like he wanted to be here. But he thought that he should count his blessings, at least he was getting a little more than just yes or no answers.

The waiter returned, and they both ended up getting the same thing without planning to. Jihoon sent him a surprised look at that, but didn't say anything about it.

When the waiter left, Seungcheol decided to leave the conversation in the hands of his date, to see if he would try to start one up on his own. After 2 uncomfortable position shifts and 3 phone checks later, Seungcheol realized he wasn't going to get anything out of his companion.

Seungcheol rubbed his face in slight frustration. He knew this was a bad idea, and now he was stuck, at least until the food arrived. Seungcheol was suddenly no longer in the mood for this.

“Look, if you weren't interested, you could have just told Soonyoung no and saved us both the time.” Spoke up Seungcheol, unable to keep his frustration from bleeding into his words.

Seungcheol had expected Jihoon to be offended, or at least upset at his sudden call out. But all Jihoon did was let out a deep sigh. “Okay, I'm sorry. I'm just... a little nervous.” Came Jihoon’s hesitant reply.

Seungcheol was taken back, for that wasn't what he expected. Jihoon didn't look nervous, he looked bored.

“Are you sure? Because you seem more like you just want this to be over with.”

Jihoon looked up at Seungcheol from where he was earlier looking downward. It was only then that Seungcheol caught a glimpse of the nerves the boy said he had.

“Yeah, this is the first date I've had in while, I'm not entirely sure what to do..” Trailed off Jihoon. Seungcheol started to feel a little pity for him, now that he knew that the boy wasn't just uninterested.

“How long is a while?” Asked Seungcheol.

Jihoon looked back down at the table. “Never?”

Seungcheol was surprised to say the least. Before Seungcheol could say anything to console him in any way, Jihoon looked back up with a much more fierce look on his face.

“But don't think it's because I couldn't. I just wasn't interested.” Seungcheol held his hands up in surrender at that.

“Hey now, I'm not judging, just surprised.” He had been in college for 3 years now, and he had yet to run into someone who hadn't at least been on one date. That only got Seungcheol curious.

“But why come on a blind date if you wouldn't accept any from people you actually know?”

Jihoon looked off to the side, out the window besides their booth. He seemed to be debating weather to tell Seungcheol or not. “Well, honestly? It wasn't much of a blind date for me.”

Now that got Seungcheol really confused. “What do you mean by that?”

“Soonyoung had showed me pictures. It was the only reason he got me to agree to come.” Seungcheol could feel a small blush build up in his face at the news. He might have been reading a bit into it, but that meant that Jihoon had actually said yes to come on the date because of how Seungcheol looked. It also boosted his ego a little bit.

Seungcheol coughed, trying to dispel the awkward tension that formed after the confession. He couldn't hide the small smile that formed afterwards though.

Their food arrived then and Jihoon looked happy to have an excuse not to talk again. Seungcheol began to eat too, but asked, “So was that why you were so sure I was your date? Because you'd seen pictures of me before?” Jihoon just nodded, his cheeks full of food. Seungcheol had to admit, he looked cute.

Seungcheol settled into his seat, in a much better mood. Now that Seungcheol knew that his date actually did want to be there, the conversation began to flow much more naturally. He asked about Jihoon’s school life, like what his major was and if he lived on campus. To which he learned that music composition and yes were the answers respectfully. He explained that he roomed with an exchange student named Junhui, who was apparently quite the character.

Jihoon seemed to lighten up with Seungcheol’s mood, and actually started to ask questions back. Seungcheol explained that he lived in an apartment nearby, and was able to afford it without roommates because his family was pretty well off and they didn't like the idea of dorm living. It apparently encouraged 'bad behavior' quoted Seungcheol, with finger quotes and everything.

They then went on to talk about their friends, where he learned that Jihoon’s best friends were named Mingyu and Wonwoo, who were apparently dating. He even admitted that seeing them in a relationship was what spurred him to start seeking out one also.

Seungcheol was even able to get a laugh out of Jihoon, well, more of a chuckle, when he was reenacting a time when Seokmin showed up at his door with a nearly passed out Soonyoung. He had apparently gotten into a battle of who could take the most shots with a stranger at the bar over some girl.

“Sounds like something Soonyoung would do. He's always out to impress at the club at school.” Chuckled Jihoon. It was nice to have at least a common person to talk about that they both knew.

Sometime in the middle of their conversation, the waiter had came with the bill and left with the plates. Before Jihoon could realize what Seungcheol was doing, he snatched the small booklet from the side of the table and slid his card in.

”That’s not fair.” Pouted Jihoon. “At least let me pay for my part of the meal.” Jihoon was already reaching back for his wallet, but Seungcheol wasn’t having it.

”No way. I’m not going to let you pay for your own food when it was my friend who dragged you out here to begin with.” Explained Seungcheol.

Jihoon looked like he wanted to put up more of a fight, but ultimately decided against it. He ended up sending him a smile of gratitude.

A little while after that, Seungcheol checked his phone for the time out of habit, only to see that it now read '8:43'. He was pleasantly surprised by the fact that nearly 3 hours had passed since his date had showed up, for they got lost in conversation.

With the check already paid for, they were free to leave at any time. Jihoon also ended up checking the time when he saw Seungcheol do so. He began to pick up and slide back on his jacket, all the while explaining, “I should probably go, the next bus shows up at 9 and I still have some homework to finish.”

Seungcheol began to collect himself too, for it was getting late. But he had such a nice time, he wasn't about to have his date go back home on public transportation. “I have my car here, if you wanted a ride back to your dorm?” Offered Seungcheol.
Jihoon looked over after he had stood up, watching as Seungcheol did the same. Seungcheol couldn't help the smile that was on his face.

“You know what, yeah. I would really appreciate it.” Seungcheol inwardly fist pumped, ecstatic that Jihoon had taken his offer.

They quickly made their exit and fast walked over to Seungcheol’s parked car, for Seungkwan’s outfit for Seungcheol didn't include a jacket. They both slid into Seungcheol’s old beat up truck after he unlocked the doors. Jihoon looked around expectantly as Seungcheol the heat. He saw the look and asked, “Whatcha looking for?”

Jihoon just shrugged as Seungcheol put the truck into reverse. “I dunno, I just expected something newer since you told me your family was pretty well off.”

Seungcheol chuckled at that. “Just because they are well off doesn't mean they don't believe in hard work. I actually bought this myself right after I got out of high school with all the money I saved up from a part time job.” Jihoon nodded, for he too believed in hard work and how most things in life were earned.

Seungcheol was just heading in the general direction of the university, but then asked for specific directions once they got close.

Jihoon pointed out the closest drop off point, and explained that he would have to walk the rest of the way to his dorm.

Seungcheol put the truck into park when he made it into the spot, and turned to Jihoon. “Well, I'm going to be honest with you. This date took a complete 180 from what I thought it was going to be.” Said Seungcheol with a light smile on his face.

Jihoon just eyed him, a playful smirk on his face. “And I'm suppose to take that as a compliment?” Teased Jihoon.

Seungcheol then morphed his face into the most serious face he could muster. He replied with a, “Of course.”, trying to come off as snobbish. He couldn't keep it up long for a smile tugged on his lips.

Jihoon just rolled his eyes at the boys antics. “So I guess I'll see you around?” The question held a hopefully note at the end. Seungcheol was quick to grab onto the metaphorical bait that Jihoon was casting.

“Of course! But I'll need your number if we wanted to plan another date maybe?” It was Seungcheol’s turn to sound hopeful.

Jihoon just reached into his back pocket and handed over his phone to Seungcheol. He took note that the model was a little older, but was still able to navigate to the contacts easily enough. After inputting his number and sending himself a quick text, he handled the device back to Jihoon.

That was when Jihoon finally opened his car door and hopped out, but turned back before closing it. “Hey, thanks for the ride. And the night. I had fun.” Jihoon seemed a little shy, not seeming comfortable with admitting to something so embarrassing.

Seungcheol nodded while saying, “I did too.” Jihoon nodded back and went to close the truck door. While his guard was down, Jihoon let a full blown smile form on his face. Seungcheol was immediately entranced by the glimpse he got of it.

Seungcheol jumped slightly from the sound of the truck door slamming shut, which had temporarily cut off his view of Jihoon and his smile.

Seungcheol sat in his car and watched Jihoon’s retreating form for a little bit. It wasn't until he could no longer see Jihoon that he shifted his car back into drive.