Ch 04

It Was Summer

 

 

 

We roamed around the town and I thought I would only see a forest. I'm such a bad person for judging too quickly. We stopped at Minute Burger in front of the Gaisano Grand Mall. We sat there and ordered.

"This one here is a mall. Although it's not as big as in the city but you can still buy things from foods, clothes to appliances." 

"I really thought there was nothing here."

"Yeah, there wasn't much until this town just boomed a bit. Food chains, bank, and then they constructed that mall, so I think little by little this town is growing."

"Don't you get sad?"

"Ma'am here's your order." The lady gave us our burgers and drinks.

"Sad? Why so?" Irene asked while unwrapping the burger.

"I mean you're away from our country and you don't have Korean friends, you know..." I shrugged.

"I have some Korean friends too in the city but I seldom see them, depends if they are not busy. But I also have friends here in town."

"You have?" I asked as I took a bite of my burger. "Oh stupid me,  you've been here for 12 years now." I gulped. "Is the language very difficult to learn?"

Irene sipped her cup of cola before she spoke.

"At first, but I was used to it since everyone spoke it. Bisaya is so funny when you know the dialect. At first, I thought they were arguing because the way they are talking seems like they are angry at each other."

"Oh so it's a dialect?"

"Well yeah, Actually Philippines has 8 major dialects and Tagalog is their national language but Filipinos are also fluent in English."

"Wow Irene you know a lot of languages now. I wish Korea was fluent in English too."

"Nah I'm just so-so."

"I learned that Koreans or other Asians study here because the education is cheap."

"True. They wanted to learn English and to be honest, others went here for business purposes. They see a big potential here in the Philippines."

"So no need to learn their language?" 

"Some think they don't need to learn but I think that's rude. I mean you'll be staying here for a long time or maybe live here forever. So I studied their language since I live here now, and also I wanted to communicate with other people."

"So you're fluent in their national language and dialect?"

"I guess I'm fluent is Bisaya since I've been in Davao for so long, but not much in Tagalog." She took a sip from her cup. "It's just funny..."

"Why?" I took a bite of my burger as I looked at her face, damn, she's so beautiful. I wonder if she has a boyfriend. But I think she has, with a face like that it's impossible to be single.

"Filipinos from the north keep lashing and criticizing Bisaya people. They think they are better people than them, especially on social media Filipinos from the north think that Bisaya doesn't have any class and looks ugly, and to think they are the same, you know? They are Filipinos." She quoted the 'Filipinos' word.

"Isn't it the same with us, North and South Koreans? Our ideology clashes so the people were divided because of that." I looked at her directly in the eyes - her melancholic eyes. Staring at them feels like in a wormhole, pulling me inside.

"People won't really get along if there's always a person that thinks he is better than the other." her lips, she looked at me as her gaze went down to my lips.

I feel embarrassed when she looks below my lips, it feels like she wanted to kiss it, not that I wanted to but it's just...

"You got ketchup on your lips."

"Oh." Stupid me. No wonder she looked at me there, I have ketchup on my lip. What am I thinking? It's so embarrassing.

When I grabbed the tissue, she swiftly wiped it for me. My heart was trembling as her thumb touches my lower right lip, then she her thumb that has my ketchup. 

.

She just smiled when she did that. Rather feeling uncomfortable, it felt like my body was tingling. I lowered my head and covered my mouth as I cursed softly to myself. "."

Irene stood up and rode her scooter. "Let's go, I wanna introduce you to my friend since I have to give her something." She wore her helmet, as I too wore it and sat behind her.

Upon arriving at her friend's house, we parked in front of the gate as her friend was waiting outside. 

"Ya! Where's my Kimchi?" Her friend crossed her arm, looking like a bully unnie at school. I was even surprised her friend knows Korean, but it was kinda weird when she said the other phrases, it feels like I've heard it before. 

"Sorry she's just saying stupid stuff, she doesn't really know Korean." We got off the scooter, and Irene opened the compartment seat as she gets the Kinchi.  Her friend still talks to her while she was just laughing in ridicule. 

"Are those kpop lyrics?" I laughed in realization. 

"Koi stop it you're so embarrassing, do you even know what you're saying?" Irene handed the Kimchi to her friend.

"Not really hahaha! Do you know the lyrics? Guess the song!" She accepted the Kimchi.

I don't understand what they are talking, they are speaking their dialect now.

"Sonyeo shidae sowoneul marhaebwa duhhh." Irene rolled her eyes, it was cute seeing her doing that. 

"Classmate?" I think her friend was asking because she was looking at me. I feel they'll be taking their time so I stood 2 meters away from them, listening, even though I don't understand them. 

"Family friend, she arrived here 2 weeks ago. Do you remember the Korean living in the big house?" 

I looked at her friend, she's 2 centimeters taller than Irene. She's not as tan as Rennee, but she's got a fair complexion. 

"At Durian Village? You mean, the one living with her girlfriend? " 

"Ahh... actually, she's her niece." 

"You got yourself a girlfriend now." Irene's friend playfully pinched her. I think she's teasing her. 

I can see her friend is looking at me again. I'm not sure if she's asking about me or what. 

"Stop joking, impossible."

"Why not?"

Even though I don't understand them, why do I have a weird feeling that they are talking about me?

"Sorry Seulgi if you're left behind. I mean where are my manners, I forgot to introduce you to my friend. She's Koi, same age as us."

"Annyeong unnie!" Did she just say that in high pitch voice? I think she watches too many Korean dramas. "Koi imnida."

I laughed.

"Irene, your friend laughed, did I say it wrong?" Koi furrowed her brows as she talked to Irene in their dialect. 

"No, but you said it weird. Can you just talk normally?" 

"Korean or English?"

Irene rolled her eyes, I chortled.

"English OK." I replied.

My English wasn't good but I did answer some of her questions but mostly Irene was our translator. After the long chit-chat, we bid Koi goodbye. It was almost quarter to six, dinner time. Irene drove me back home and as I got off the scooter I handed her my helmet to her. 

"Thanks for being my tour guide, I had fun today."

"My pleasure."

For a minute neither of us moved, we were waiting for each other to say something.

"Ahh... I have to go inside now." I gestured.

"Take care."

"Should I be the one saying that since you're driving?" 

"Ah right!" Irene covered her face, she was shy. She's so cute.

We both laughed.

Suddenly she reaches her arms and hugged me on my waist. "Just text me when you want to see me ok?" 

"Ok I will." I hugged her back. "Thank you so much."

Not so long she took off her arms and started her scooter's engine. "I'll be going, see you."

"Yeah, see you." I waved as she was far from my sight, I covered my mouth and squealed. I can feel my ears from heating. Oh my God this feeling again. 

Zoo in my stomach. 

***

It was dinner time. We were having a Korean barbeque and side dishes. While eating we were talking about random stuff and they asked Rennee about the Philippines. I just listened when they talk about Filipino culture and best places to go for a vacation. Aunt and Rennee showed their pictures on her phone when they went for a vacation in Puerto Princesa Palawan. She swiped the pictures, the sceneries were so breathtakingly beautiful. 'Till she swiped the picture that was intimate, aunt Seola and Rennee's face were so close that they were about to kiss. I was dumbfounded.

"Oops, sorry about that." Rennee smiled and swiped to the other pictures that don't have them together.

I looked at mom and dad's reaction. They weren't commenting anything, dad just continued barbequing the pork and mom just continued talking to aunt Seola. They're definitely hiding something from me and I feel left out. I don't wanna pry but I hope they'll just tell me about it. If my guts are telling me, honestly, I'm not against aunt and Rennee being in a relationship. If they like each other so what? Who am I to judge?

Now, come to think of it, Rennee said something the other day.

It's part of growing up, there's always room for self-discovery.

Don't tell me she means I like Irene in that way? Like-like Irene? That can't be. I haven't dated nor liked a girl in a romantic way before. And if I dated one, I'm not sure whether my parents approve but I think they're cool about it. I mean look at aunt Seola and Rennee. But it never occurred to me, not once... Me and Irene? Do we have that chemistry? I'm open-minded about this kind of stuff though. I'm just not sure if she likes me that way. She's pretty and I bet she's taken, and straight. For sure she's... 

"Straight." I sighed. 

"What?" My mom asked. 

Suddenly I didn't realize I said out my thoughts.

"Ah nothing, nothing." That was a close one. Today's not even hot but I'm sweating. "So, when will we go to the city?"

"Tomorrow, let's go to places that are popular here in Davao." Aunt Seola replied while filling the side dishes. 

"Yeah because we'll be going home to Korea next week." Dad injected.

"Next week? That fast?" I looked at mom and dad in surprise.

"Sorry dear but your dad and I just filed a 1-month vacation with to company."

"We can still visit here after your semester is over."

"Don't worry about the place, you're always welcome to stay in this house." 

"Or next time bring your friends, it will be fun."

Dad passed me the cooked pork barbecue.

"I'll tell Bae if we could bring her daughter with us tomorrow." Aunt Seolla suggested. 

"Good idea. She's the same age as Seulgi."

"That's good." Mom smiled and looked at me. "I'm sure you won't get bored you have a friend who'll go with us, isn't that exciting."

Aunt Seola and Rennee gave me a devious smile. Why do I have a feeling they're teasing me. 

"Yeah sure, sure." I looked away and pretended to make a new topic. 

So that night we ended our dinner with a full stomach. 

Later that night I received a chat from Irene. 

"Your aunt called my dad a while ago asking permission if I could come with you. Appa couldn't say no. LoL" 

"Thank god he allowed you."

"What am I, Five?" 

"You look like five."

"Be careful, my looks can be deceiving."

"Oops! I fell for it, just a little."

"I hope you'll fall for me more❤️."

For a minute I could not breathe from what I read. My brain was processing, my body was tingling. I don't know what to reply so I just sent a fainting emoji.

"Did I make you uncomfortable?" She sent a worried emoji.

"No no no no. Not at all."

"Sure?" 

"Yep." 

"Sorry, if you think I'm weird."

I don't know why she's thinking that way. She doesn't even have an idea I liked it when she does that. To be honest she gave me the whole damn zoo. 

"I would never think of you that way. I like you." I sent it with a kiss emoji. 

Oh my god. I don't know what she'll reply, I think I'm not prepared. 

Three minutes passed by but she hasn't replied to my message. I think I'm over boarding it. I shouldn't have replied that way. I was the one being weird. Maybe I think too much. Maybe she didn't like me that way and I just assumed she did.

"I like you. You're such a good friend. ❤️" I texted immediately. It's good this way so I won't look like a . 

Ten minutes had passed, still no reply. 

I was frustrated she didn't reply. Whatever the reason is... 

"Ugh! This is so frustrating."

I got off my bed and went down to the kitchen to drink milk. But when I went to the kitchen I saw aunt Seola making a coffee on the kitchen island. 

"Seulgi, can't sleep?" 

"I was about to but I wanna drink milk before I go to bed."

"You nervous Irene can't come tomorrow?" 

I raised my brows as I opened the fridge to find the milk. 

"Don't worry. She'll come, I called her dad." She sipped her coffee and grabbed a stool to sit down. 

"Yeah she just told me, she even said you didn't have to ask permission from her dad. I mean what is she, five?" I close the fridge and got a clean glass in the cabinet. 

"It's better to ask permission so her dad will know his daughter's whereabouts."

I poured the milk into my glass and drank. I looked at aunt sitting on the stool, crossing her legs, sipping her coffee. I pondered why as pretty as my aunt isn't married yet, but then I remembered she's in a relationship with Rennee. I was thinking of how beautiful Rennee is, they're a perfect combination with my aunt. What a lucky couple. 

"Also it's respectful to ask your girlfriend's father."

I choked on drinking when she said that. 

"What!?" 

My aunt laughed. 

"Your reaction is so funny!" 

"Oh my god. She's not my girlfriend and we're not like that." 

Aunt Seola raised her left eyebrow. 

"You think I wouldn't know that?" 

"Know what? I haven't even shared anything to Rennee. And I don't even think Irene likes girls. "

"Don't underestimate our gaydar, my sweet niece." She looked at me with a mocking face.

Gaydar?