Life and Love and Juiceboxes

The Mouths of Babes

"Is your boyfriend coming?" Yuna asks calmly, sipping her drink in a manner far too elegant for it to be a juicebox.

Siwon almost swerves the car into another lane and splutters at his niece's words.

"Excuse me??" he asks, once he's regained at least a quarter of his composure back, quickly glancing at the young girl, his eyebrows ridiculously high on his forehead.

"Your. Boyfriend. Heechul oppa. He's fun. I like him." she eununciates, punctuating the statement with a final obnoxious slurp of her juice box.

Siwon remembers when he once wanted children. When his sister's daughter learned actual words, that idea went out of the window. She's not a bad kid, just mouthy like her mother.

And like Heechul...

"Heechul hyung is not my boyfriend." he says, returning to the issue at hand. "He's my best friend."

"Umma says he's your boyfriend. She also says she hopes grandma and granddad find out so she can be their favourite child."

Siwon sighs loudly. "Don't listen to her. Well, I mean listen to her, honor thy mother and father and stuff, but don't listen to her  
about that. He's my friend, Yuna. Okay?"

"But you guys do boyfriend things," she says matter-of-factly, her tiny hands now reaching for another juicebox. This girl's gonna go into diabetic shock, Siwon thinks.

"What would you even know about those kinds of things?" he asks.

"I'm seven, not stupid." she states.

She's alot like Heechul he thinks.
Blunt.
Too blunt for a child.

She continues. "You hold hands, and live together, and get all snuggly and kissy on the couch like umma and appa do.

"That doesn't mean he's my boyfriend, Yuna. I'm a man. He's a man. Just...just no." Siwon finishes lamely.

Yuna apparently inherited her uncle's eyebrows, she has one raised so high, he feels his Shibrows may have a rival.

"What?" he asks, silently wondering how pathetic his life has to be for him to talk about love with a 7 year old.

"You love each other, so it's okay," she says, before taking her final sip.

"Yuna. We don't lo-"

"Oprah says denial is bad for you."

I don't really give a damn what Oprah says, Siwon thinks, before sending up a quick sorry to God for swearing.

He instead says nothing and pulls into the driveway of his place with Heechul.

Yuna's initial question is answered, when Heechul runs out to the car and sweeps her into a hug. He spins her around once, twice, three times before turning to Siwon and smiling.

"Good thing you brought her. I'm sick of only seeing you all the time." he says quietly, still smiling. 

"What are we gonna do today, Heekitty?" Yuna questions, using the nickname she gave Heechul when she was a few years younger.

"I don't know, Yuna, what do you want to do?" he asks, before taking her hand and leading her into the house.

Siwon trails behind slowly, thinking of Yuna's words in the car.

He and Heechul did cuddle and kiss and live together, but he never thought about those as being "boyfriend things" as she so eloquently put it.

Those were just friendly gestures, right?

As he watches Yuna spend twenty minutes deciding on which flavor juicebox to get, he feels Heechul slide into his lap and before he can even think he quickly hops up, almost sending Heechul tumbling to the ground.

"Okay, wow. What the hell is wrong with you today?" he asks as he gets up and brushes himself off.

"Umma thinks your uncle's boyfriend," Yuna offers from her nest of blankets on the floor "and Uncle is denying that you're in Love."

"Yuna!" Siwon hisses at the girl, before burying his face in his hands.

The last thing he wants is for things to be awkward between he and Heechul. Especially with Yuna around. 

"Well, even if we were boyfriends before, we wouldn't be now," Heechul says calmly before stomping off to the room he shares with his-not-boyfriend Siwon.

"Oooooooh, you have to sleep on the couch now. That's what Appa does when he argues with umma. The umma always wins," Yuna says, sipping her juice and shaking her head.

"Yuna, maybe it's time you went to bed. I've had enough of your "relationship" counseling today."

"Uncle Siwon?" she asks as they walk to the guest room so he can tuck her in.

"Yes, Yuna," he says with a small sigh.

"I just wanted to help you. Umma says love is beautiful. What I told you this morning wasn't all she said. She said that she thinks you and Heechul are like soulmates or something."

Siwon pauses, gripping the edge of the pink blanket in his hands, the blanket Heechul had picked out for the girl before Siwon even asked if she could stay awhile while his sister went on business trips. 

Heechul always seemed to read his mind. And his heart and his soul...

"Heekitty is your princess." she says, before leaning up to kiss him goodnight on the forehead.

"Hey, that's my job, Baby Girl" he says with a smile before leaving a kiss on her forehead in return. "Goodnight, Yuna," he whispers and heads for the door.

"Uncle?" she whispers back.

"Yes?"

"I know you love him. You look at him the way I look at juiceboxes." she says with a yawn, before closing her eyes and snuggling further into the pink blankets.

Siwon smiles and chuckles. For all she knew about...well, things she shouldn't know about, Yuna was still a child.

When he reaches the door to the room he shares with Heechul, Siwon freezes.

He had no idea what to say to the other man, and it made him feel pathetic. And worried. He should know what to do, he should be able to fix this. Heechul was his roommate, his best friend, his...princess?

He treads to the fridge quickly and then quickly heads back to the door.

When he opens it, he sees Heechul through the glass of the balcony door. He heads over and sits down beside him, awaiting a reaction.

Heechul doesn't even turn around.

"I put Yuna to bed," Siwon says quietly.

Heechul still doesn't turn around.

"I hope she doesn't pee the bed, she had like over 9,000 juiceboxes today,' he says and forces out an awkward laugh.

"Do you like me or not?" Heechul asks bluntly, still facing the view of the city.

"I...well...you know, Yuna is just...um...Yes." Siwon sighs again. That's becoming his new hobby he thinks.

Heechul turns to him finally and smiles. When he notices what's in Siwon's hands, his smile widens and he chuckles.

Siwon looks down and blushes upon noticing what's in his hand.

"Um...yeah, I brought us a juicebox to share." he says while poking the straw in and pushing it towards heechul cautiously.

"Yuna is going to murder you for taking this. She loves these more than anything else in life" Heechul chuckles before taking a small sip.

"I know how she feels," Siwon whispers before taking Heechul's right hand in his left.

Heechul smiles at him again and Siwon can't believe that a lesson on life, love and juiceboxes from a seven year old just got him everything he'd never knew he wanted.

 

 

 

 

 

I SWEAR I WILL MAKE A LONGER STORY ONE DAY. Anything longer than a drabble is hard for me, though. I have the attention span of a five-year old. Actually, worse, I have the attention span of like...Donghae...or something. Sad. Cute, but sad. Anywho, when i can think of better middle and ending parts for this, i'll fix it and it will be SPECTACULAR. 

And btw, I only made his niece seven for this story, she's actually five I think.