Skinny love

Of cookies and pale boys.

There it was, the enormous glowing orb, high up in the August sky, shining down on him as if it was some kind of joke that he was missing out on because he had been shielding himself from its toxic rays with one hand while holding his cellphone in the other, frantically checking the time since he didn’t have anything else to do. Of course, that was only half of the reason why he was doing it though. The other? He was scared of being stood up, petrified even.

He heaved a sigh and averted his gaze from the numbers on the screen to look around himself again, doing a full turn and making himself look like a fool in the eyes of anyone who might’ve spared him a glance at that moment. Not that anyone had time to spend on watching a college idiot like him, Jimin thought. Gripping the front of his tank top, he separated it from his sweaty, glistening skin and repeated the motion a few number of times.

The scorching heat was getting right to his head, just proving a point as to why he never left the dorms when it wasn’t needed. It was either too hot or too cold, neither being to his liking when compared to his default corner in the dorm room that he shared with a boy who could go lengths competing with him in terms of weirdness, which he himself had been displaying right now. Taehyung was his best friend though, and his weirdness was nothing but endearing when it wasn’t straight out annoying, the case however being very rare.

Recalling the dark place Jimin spent most of his time in when he wasn’t doing homework and even then sometimes, he couldn’t help but sigh out for the nth time, only to have it come out as a choked cough for which he blamed the looming sun again. When he wasn’t attending classes, messing around with friends inbetween them and during lunch breaks or studying in the library and such, the corner had been his stationary. Accompanied with his laptop and either a steaming cup of coffee and a blanket or a mini-fan which Taehyung and him had managed to sneak in.

One time he attended a party which most classes in his year and even some others took part of and the sole reason he had agreed to it was because it was being held during a spring night when it was dark and only soothingly warm, just the way he liked it. He was the life of the party for a set group of people and was more than thrilled about the fact that he was able to show off a passion of his on the dancefloor – dancing itself. Until a girl passed by him and knocked over her punch in the process, spilling it not on her dress but on him. That’s when he excused himself, letting out a string of curses after making sure that he was out of everyone’s earshot, and groggily decided not to attend things like those ever again.

All in all, Jimin was a pleasant, youthful person who had many friends, he just prefered to keep out of trouble and to genuinely spend some time alone. He was not antisocial but maybe the littlest bit secluded and still experienced even things like small crushes, his most recent one ever since he enrolled into college being on a gifted senior whose passion he came to marvel at quickly.

After befriending him, it became apparent soon enough that Yoongi was, for the time being, only interested in rapping, music making and finishing school as quick and trouble free as possible. Jimin gradually got over it and stayed friends with the boy out of fondness and admiration that he had developed for him. For some time he lingered on the lighthearted, teasing nicknames Yoongi used when speaking to him, brat being an immediate favourite, and that laugh that presented itself even through the crinkle of his eyes. But he knew when to let go, although Yoongi’s uality always remained a mystery. Even with the innocent curiousity that was eating away at him, he had never been bold enough to ask though, not wanting to inconvenience the boy in any way.

He was the first person to know when Jungkook finally announced that he was coming to town, excluding Taehyung of course who had been prying about it for months back, ever since Jimin had met the younger in a chat room under the screenname kookiemonster, his own having been ihasjams. It almost seemed like his best friend was more excited about it than Jimin himself. Almost. Because even though Taehyung had covered every inch of their dorm room by jumping around in it and squealed exceptionally loud, the older of the two was quick on his feet after checking his phone for the time to bolt through the door, running to the library as fast as his feet could carry him, letting his presence be felt in the entirety of the hallways.

Ignoring both the scornful and intrigued looks from other occupants as he reached his destination, he made a bee line to a table way in the back, hidden away behind all of the bookshelves. When in front of Yoongi, he ducked down a fair distance from his face in order not to scare him and waved his arms around frantically to catch his attention. He’d only ever dare to rip his earphones out if there were a fire or the like, and even then he’d have to think about it twice.

After turning the music off and setting them aside along with his phone, Yoongi was met with a heavily panting Jimin who threw himself around his neck. The former blinked, eyes wide, and slowly pulled the boy onto his lap so that he was being straddled by him after the shock had died down, allowing Jimin to catch his breath as he ran a hand through his hair gingerly and asked whether he was okay in a soft tone.

Nodding into the crook of Yoongi’s neck, he pulled away just enough to beam at him, his smile brighter than ever. His heart had still been beating miles a minute, both because of the exhaustion and the realisation that finally dawned on him. “Jungkook is coming tomorrow!”, he exclaimed happily, allowing a spurt of giggles to escape his lips as he pushed away the fact that the position they were in right now was one more reason to add to his increased heartrate to the back of his head.

The older just stared and blinked once more before knitting his brows together, reaching up to pull on Jimin’s nose not so gently. “Brat, I thought something bad happened to you.. you had me seriously worried there, don’t do that again.” He pulled one last time for emphasis and moved to flick his forehead instead, sighing out deeply after noticing that Jimin was pouting, a ‘sorry’ already cooking up on his tongue while he rubbed the abused spots.

Yoongi held up an index finger to stop him from apologizing before he continued. “I’ll forgive you. This one time because you were genuinely excited.” His posture relaxed as he saw the excited sparkle return to Jimin’s eyes and he grinned up at him, patting one of his cheeks fondly. “I’m happy for you! What time are you going to meet him?”

It was Jimin’s turn to blink now as his mouth fell open into a small ‘o’ shape. He rubbed his nape and his eyes shifted to the floor, finding it awfully interesting right at that moment. “Actually… when he messaged me, the first thing I did was run over here to tell you.” Only when he heard Yoongi laugh did he raise his head to look at him again which proved to be a mistake as he immediately noted the adoring way his eyes crinkled, making him weak in the knees even to this day. He absolutely loved it when the elder let himself go like this.

“Well, then you definitely know what you have to do next.” Yoongi nodded his head towards the door and Jimin almost forgot about the familiar warm sensation sparking up in his cheeks entirely when he got to his feet and hurried in its direction after bowing to the other. He missed Yoongi let out a sigh that he thought had been repressed for far too long and smile sadly while watching Jimin’s back retreat, averting his attention to his homework as if nothing had happened. It’s what he’s been convincing himself into believing ever since he had met the younger, anyway.

Jimin was welcomed back to his dorm room by no sight of Taehyung for which he was thankful for, instead the boy had left a sticky note on their work desk, reading ‘Hoseok is dragging me out for a date. Tell Yoongi hyung I said hi :)’ in very messy handwriting. He crumpled the piece of paper up and threw it into the trashbin hastily before any chance of changing his mind could come up.

Rummaging through the several spread out notebooks, he plopped onto his bed after finally acquiring his phone and unlocked it to eight messages from Jungkook and two messages from his best friend.

From: TaeTae

hoseok was trying out his culinary skills again so there’s a caesar salad and some beef in the plastic bag on my bed, make sure to eat up or i will be angry, okay!!!

From: TaeTae

oh, tell jungkook i said hi too! :)

Chuckling and rolling his eyes simultaneously, Jimin replied with “I’ll eat it! Hopefully I don’t die!”, already imagining a pouty Taehyung, ready to defend his boyfriend to the death. He chewed on his lip nervously as he finally registered his heart skipping beat by beat while his fingers inched closer to opening up Jungkook’s messages, which was mostly the reason why he opted for opening Taehyung’s first.

From: Kookie

my train will be there at 11 am

From: Kookie

jimin? are you there?

From: Kookie

jimin you usually reply your messages with lightning speed what’s wrong

From: Kookie

okay maybe i’m exaggerating a little bit maybe you’re taking a shower or something i’m sorry

From: Kookie

i’m sorry i’m just excited and nervous like really really nervous

From: Kookie

i can’t wait to see you tomorrow i’ve wanted this for so long

From: Kookie

i’m sorry

From: Kookie

i guess i’ll talk to you later bye

Jimin’s stomach was doing summersaults as he got to the last message and he kept his lips shut tight in a firm line, too afraid of it being just a dream and that any loud noise he made would result in him waking up from it. The ammount of spelling mistakes he was making was atrocious as his fingers danced across his phone’s keyboard clumsily before he realised that his hands were actually shaking and that replying Jungkook with something that’d take him days to decipher would only make him worry more.

He glanced around the room in a frenzy and pressed the call button, bringing the phone up to his right ear. His breath hitched in his throat when the answer was immediate, not even giving him enough time to prepare mentally as Jungkook shouted into the speaker. “Jimin! Are you okay?!”

His teeth were back on his lower lip, gnawing on it. He managed to make already two people think that there was something wrong today, which had definitely not been his intention. “Hey Kookie! I’m sorry for not answering right away. I called to tell you that I’m just as excited and.. and nervous to see you tomorrow. You don’t need to apologize for feeling that way, okay? I was actually really happy to hear it..”

A sigh of relief could be heard from the other end of the line before Jungkook spoke up once more. “Thank God! I.. I thought.. no.. it doesn’t matter what I thought.. I..” As he searched for the right words, Jimin had to hold his phone against his ear with both hands now in order to hear him better both because he had been getting quieter and because the older felt blood rush through his ears, making him dizzy with a new wave of adrenaline.

“What matters is that we’re seeing each other tomorrow. Right?” Both of the boys sported a wide smile that the other couldn’t see and Jimin nodded his head, feeling himself relax as he let out that one word. “Right.” A short, comfortable silence settled around them briefly before he had to cover his mouth in order to muffle the chortle that was threatening to escape as Jungkook’s messages from earlier made him remember a really embarrassing part of their past together.

“You know, Kook.. the only other time you ever sent me so many messages in a row was when I sent you that picture of Taehyung and me eating cookies and wrote that I was eating you.” He felt his cheeks heat up almost instantly afterwards, feeling the smirk forming on the younger’s face even without him having to say anything.

“Oh yeah, when I replied that you should eat me out well, oppa~” The way he said it over the phone was the same exact way Jimin imagined he would when he had read the message and it took everything for him not to throw his phone across his shared room like he did when it first happened. Except this time Taehyung wasn’t there to cuddle up and watch movies for the rest of the night with him and successfully make him forget about the entire incident.

The sudden sound of the line going dead made him widen his eyes in surprise as he removed the phone from his ear to confirm that, yes, Jungkook just hung up on him. He blinked in confusion, a new sound forcing a shriek out of him soon enough as he almost let the device slip out of his hands before he turned it around in his hands, seeing an incoming video call request light up the screen.

“I really did freak out though, I thought you didn’t want to talk to me ever again after that,” Jungkook had said after the other pressed the answer button, just in time to see an adorable pout adorn the boy’s face. Jimin chuckled and flicked his front camera repeatedly, making Jungkook get the idea that it was supposed to be his own forehead instead. “You’re stupid, you know that? I just didn’t want to talk to you for the rest of that night because.. because I was embarrasssed. By my own actions. I mean, if I didn’t write what I did first, you wouldn’t have replied the way you did either.”

“I’m not as innocent as you make me out to be, hyung. And hey, one night is still one night and that hurt too!” The pout was back on his face in a matter of seconds, if it had ever left it, anyway. Jimin rolled his eyes in response and layed back on his bed in contrast to Jungkook who had been on his stomach the whole time. “I know, I know, but I don’t want to be the one to give you the reason not to be innocent, either.”

The younger hummed playfully at this, pretending to trail off in his thoughts. “I wonder about that…” He let out a histeric laugh as Jimin raised a finger at the camera while exclaiming ‘Jeon Jungkook!’ in a stern voice but really he just looked endearing, no matter how Jungkook went about it. After visibly calming down, the corners of his lips stayed lifted up in a heartwarming smile which was directed to Jimin and him only. “I’m just kidding, hyung,” he averted his gaze to the clock on his wall briefly before looking back at the other, “do you have any homework?”

Jimin really wasn’t in the right mind to think of homework when Jungkook would be coming to meet him in person for the first time tomorrow. It was the weekend anyway. There was a mischievous glint in his eyes as an idea about how to respond suddenly struck him. “It doesn’t matter if I have homework. All that matters is that I have you~”

He expected Jungkook to laugh, roll his eyes, retort with something inappropriate even but he definitely didn’t expect to see him bury his head further into the pillow that he was using to prop his head up on in a poor attempt to hide his impending blush. “Y-Yeah. You have me. For the whole weekend. All yours.”

Jimin expected hearing this the least. His actions were quicker than his words, and in no time whatsoever, his phone had been flung across the room, bouncing off from one of the walls rather harshly. He screeched when he finally registered what he had done, sounding amazingly similar to a pterodactyl, but he didn’t care and just continued running to the spot where his phone layed on the floor, flipping it over immediately to the screen after it was safe in his hands again.

He was met with Jungkook’s face once more who was sitting up now, a thousand and one questions apparent on his face, his eyes as big as saucers. “What the hell was that?” Jimin wailed loudly and slumped against the wall behind him, deciding that he was affirmatively done with all of today’s events and that it was time for him to sleep away his embarrassment.

“Jungkooooook. Please don’t make me explain that. Please, please, please. Go to sleep, okay? Rest up for tomorrow, drink some milk. Taehyung told me to tell you he said hi, by the way- Sleep well. I love you. Bye.”

He pressed the button designed for ending calls and started knocking the back of his head onto the wall behind him, stopping when he received a message notification after a short while.

From: Kookie

did you do that because i told you that i was all yours?

And another one.

From: Kookie

because that’s cute

Make that three.

From: Kookie

tell taehyung hyung i said hi too

Four…?

From: Kookie

oh, and jimin?

The boy in question tilted his head and typed up a quick “What?” in response, pressing send and waiting for the answer as he drummed the fingers of his free hand on the floor impatiently, his curiousity piqued.

From: Kookie

i love you too

Jimin set his phone aside before sitting up again and walking over to his bed without a mere word. Upon reaching it, he picked up his pillow and buried his whole entire face in it as he sat down onto the bed, then started to scream. Very loudly. One wouldn’t be able to tell if his face was bloodshot red because he had been screaming for the past five minutes or because he had been surpressing a blush for the past few months that he has known Jungkook. Most probably, it was both accumulated into one.

After finally calming down, Jimin placed his pillow back into its respectful place, went to pick his phone up from the floor and placed it onto the work desk where he had found it earlier that day without checking for any further messages then walked up to Taehyung’s bed. He deserved a nice meal after all of what happened even if he had to eat it cold which he didn’t mind as much, knowing that it would be tasty nonetheless. Hoseok was a good cook, he only ever and Taehyung stating the opposite for some innocent fun. Too bad Hoseok only ever brought food that he cooked himself when he already planned on taking Taehyung out on a date right after, hence the latter wasn’t around to try it as often as Jimin was. Which wasn’t all that bad in itself, it meant more delicious food for him.

As he was eating, his mind drifted back to Jungkook and their video call. He remembered the first time the younger ever wanted to speak with him through video and how Jimin never picked up the call, instead opting to hide under his blanket. He perked up when the ringing had ended and typed up a quick “Wait a minute!” to Jungkook before fidgeting about nervously, taking his bottom lip between his teeth.

After a while, he decided to record a video message before sending it to the other, stating that he wasn’t ready for the video call just yet but that he was glad Jungkook had thought about him before going to sleep, ending it with a small wave and a smile. He was closer to the truth than he knew at the time, Jungkook just wanted to wish him goodnight before knocking out completely, as the only occasion he managed to gather up the courage to propose talking with Jimin via video was when half of his brain had already shut down.

Jimin chuckled as he thought about it, genuinely happy that he was the last thing Jungkook thought about before falling asleep. Without realising, he had already eaten the entirety of the food content left behind for him while his mind had been busy wandering to things other than the platter in front of him. He pouted when he couldn’t get a good enough taste from the meal because he was preoccupied but it was Hoseok’s food so there was no doubt about it that it wouldn’t be a lie when he’d say that it was great after Taehyung came back from their rendezvous.

Back in the present, Jimin was straight up startled out of his head when he felt a pair of soft lips pressed to his right cheek. He swirled around to be met with none other than Jeon Jungkook, the boy he had been waiting for this whole time under the killer heat of the sun, causing him to have all these hallucinations in the first place. The grin he had been sporting was so wide, Jimin could almost imagine a wagging tail to go right with it. He chuckled at the mental image before snaking his arms around the other’s waist, bringing him flush against his own chest as he hugged him tightly, not planning on letting go anytime soon after having confirmed that it wasn’t just a Fata Morgana standing in front of him.

Jungkook chortled happily, bringing Jimin even closer by wrapping his arms around the older’s neck then rested their foreheads together as they gazed into each other’s eyes lovingly, suitcase and any other sign of life around them long forgotten. Even though they could’ve gotten by conversing through exchanged glances alone, he decided to break the silence with a simple ‘hey’, letting the word ghost over Jimin’s lips.

The way his face blossomed into a perfect red was hardly subtle and Jimin had to put some distance between them by pushing Jungkook’s stomach gently, pretending to laugh it all off. “Hey. What took you so long? Train was running late?”

Taking a hint, the younger had backed away a step but still kept his arms in place and so did Jimin. The oh so familiar pout accented his already cute facial features as he nodded and Jimin had to bite back a keen coo. “Yes, actually. Even after the ten minutes of me having a nervous breakdown in the public bathroom there the train still hadn’t arrived. Remember my brother, Seokjin? Well, he had to go and check whether it was going to come at all because I was too busy freaking out.”

Jimin blinked up at Jungkook worriedly after having rewinded to a certain part of what he had been saying in his head. “Why did you have a nervous breakdown, Kookie..? Are you okay now?” Pulling a hand away from the boy’s waist, he placed it onto one of his cheeks instead and slowly in a comforting way, making the other lean into his touch and nuzzle against it as his eyes glazed over with fondness before he replied.

“Yeah, yeah… let’s just say that I’m really, really happy to finally be able to see you.” He absolutely couldn’t help the chuckle that escaped him after he saw Jimin’s face light up instantaniously at his words before he ducked his head in embarrassment , taking one step closer which resulted in ridding the two of the distance between them once more, and leaned it against Jungkook’s chest softly.

“I’m really, really happy to finally be able to see you, too.”

After their sickeningly sweet first encounter, Jungkook made sure that the both of them had brunch before Jimin even so much as thought of suggesting that they go on a walk around town, knowing fully well that the boy had skipped out on breakfast in order to be on time when meeting with him. The younger insisted that dragging his suitcase along for a little while more wasn’t a bother at all as they roamed several smaller and less populated streets, Jimin pointing out all of the old-fashioned but genuine shops that gave off a homey feel every time he would pass by them or pop his head in on occasion. The staff was always kind and chipper, carrying a conversation as if they have been your lifelong companion the whole time which was exactly the reason why he was able to recognize all the faces trafficing through the doors more often than not.

Jungkook listened to the other’s explanations with interest, nodding his head from time to time to indicate just that when Jimin would look back at him with a bright smile spread over his entire face. It would be a definite lie to say that he was able to stay indifferent to it and that his heart didn’t clench every time he didn’t manage to avoid his sparkling gaze. He wondered why they didn’t have places as fun as these in his hometown or why he had never come across them before when something akin to a nightclub captured his attention. The day had reached its peak just recently so obviously it would still be closed during these hours but his curiousity got the best of him and he reached out to tug at Jimin’s tank top, pointing to his left when he was met with a curious raise of the older’s brows. “What’s that?”

Jimin felt a blush creep up on his neck immediately as he realised what Jungkook had been refering to. “That’s.. that’s the gay club,” he had spurted out, whipping his head back to the front as he continued walking, suddenly silent and swallowing nervously. Jungkook had whistled at that, lightly jogging up to the other right after and taking his hand in his own to get him to slow down.

“Don’t get any ideas, Jeon Jungkook!”, Jimin threatened with no venom to his tone after lacing their fingers together solely on reflex which made the boy in question look away as a cheeky smile and a healthy crimson color graced his face, and he did the absolute same himself when realisation had finally hit him.

When Jungkook decided that it would probably be a good idea for them to retreat to the comfort of Jimin’s shared dorm room after an hour of walking, it took them another hour just to actually get there. Both of them had been more than ready to simply nap the day away or spend the rest of it watching movies the whole time. They were greeted by no sign of Taehyung, a sticky note on the work desk as per usual and a square box on his bed, rather large in size.

‘Hoseok and I are going on a trip, in our favourite rocket ship’ was what had been written down accompanied by a doodle of what Jimin’s best friend presumed a rocket ship looked like, ‘He’s meeting my parents this weekend so Jungkook and you have the room all to yourselves and if you’re wondering about what’s in the box, it’s left over doughnuts <3’. Jungkook who had been peaking over his shoulder erupted into a string of snickers, pumping a fist in the air when he finished reading. “Yay, free doughnuts!”

Jimin had joined in on the celebration if it could be refered to as such and soon enough they were both sprawled out on his bed, surrounded by little crumbs here and there, trying to decide on which movie to watch first. At some point, a part of the elder’s brain had argued that it would be a very good idea to tickle Jungkook’s sides while they were both lying down on their stomachs and it was because the boy had rolled over to his back quickly, giving him even more space for exploration and the high pitched noises leaving his lips, albeit involuntarily, were the cutest thing Jimin had ever heard.

Halfway through the movie, Jungkook had felt his eyes go droopy and he rested his chin onto one of Jimin’s shoulders, trying desperately to stay awake but the day’s events were effectively taking a toll on him and he knew that fighting against his body’s wishes would prove to be useless sooner than later, anyway. Jimin took notice of this too and didn’t plan on denying the younger his much needed sleep but before he went and tucked him in, he fished out his phone first and snapped a picture using his front camera after putting the device on vibration.

He forwarded the picture to his favourite hyung right after, adding an excited “He’s here!!!” as somewhere on the other side of campus Yoongi awoke with a startle, one of his hands instantly jerking up to keep the jacket he didn’t realise was draped over his shoulders from falling to the ground. He scanned his surroundings briefly and noted that he had fallen asleep on his shared work desk and that his roommate Namjoon was probably the one to cover him with the younger’s own jacket before heading out. Wiping at the corner of his mouth, he groggily picked up his phone and unlocked it to a picture of Jimin and a boy who he assumed was Jungkook.

Biting back a frown, Yoongi typed up a swift reply that read “He’s cute. Have a nice rest of the day together, Jiminnie. I’ll see you around.” after which he turned the device over in his hands and took its battery out, throwing all of the components somewhere to the side carelessly, wanting to get back to dream land as soon as possible and as far as away from the unjustifiable jealous thoughts about Jimin and his friend that clouded his mind. He snuggled further into the jacket, his roommate’s sweet cologne lulling him back to sleep.

Jimin smiled giddily at the response he received, almost bouncing in his spot but chose not to as to not wake the boy next to him. Lowering Jungkook down onto his pillow gently, he unwrapped part of the blanket around himself in order to properly tuck the boy in with it, planning on borrowing Taehyung’s later. As if sensing this and having none of it, the younger reached for his wrist before Jimin could stand up and tugged him down, making his face land just mere milimeters from his own. Sleepy as he was, he brushed this off as if it were nothing, opting to stare into the other’s eyes intently.

“I didn’t come here to sleep in your bed without you in it, Jimin,” he had said in a serious, hoarse voice, making the boy before him gulp audibly as a red hue took over his entire face, after which he nodded his head quickly, climbing back into bed with the other who held the blanket up for him and wrapped it around him along with an arm, the other traveling up to Jimin’s soft hair, it rhythmically in order to calm him down. “Sorry.. let’s sleep?”

And even though Jungkook had been polite enough to ask, he soon dozed off all on his own, leaving Jimin alone with his thousand and one thoughts. He decided that wrecking his brain about why he had felt the pit of his stomach clench momentarily could wait until he woke up from what he assumed would be one of his deepest and most comfortable slumbers yet now that he finally had the younger with him and in his arms. Pressing a lingering kiss to the side of Jungkook’s head, he mumbled a ‘goodnight’ to no one in particular and fell asleep with a smile on his face.

A/N: What are your thoughts so far? I definitely plan on writing a sequel, but there are many directions this fanfic has the possibility of heading to. Do let me know your impressions of the story and which pairings you would like to see as endgame! Pro tip: I don't plan on breaking VHope up but feel free to suggest anything else ( ^ o ^ )