The Present and Past

Gone

There was an old lady with graying hair, sitting in a rocking chair with her four grandchildren circled around her. In her shaky hands was a bottle of pills that her soulmate left with her. The grandmother was beautiful with an aging face but young eyes that see nothing but remember everything.

"Grandma?" one of the kids called out, "How did you fall in love with grandpa Jun?"

"Yeah! Was it love at first sight?" the oldest boy asked.

"Well, its a long story and you're grandpa wasn't the first man I fell in love with." The old lady sighed.

"Tell us grandma! Tell us!" The children pleaded.

"It star--"

"Why didn't you marry your first love?" The youngest girl interrupted.

"Because he grew wings and flew away from me."

xxxxxxxxx

I wasn't always blind. There was a day when I could see the beautiful blue sky, the green grass, and the chirping birds. There was a day when the words from a book would fly off of the page and into my mind. I was a happy child. I was well liked and had many friends. I even had a secret admirer by the age of six. Many people came to me to ask for help on homework and I was always glad to help them. I loved to see people smile when I was able to help them, but my life has changed since then. 

I had a younger sister and we did everything together. At night when our mother wasn't home I would read to her and she would listen intently to me. Her favorite story was the tale of Peter Pan. I read the story to her so many times that I knew it by heart. I was the one who taught my sister how to read because mother and father were at work so often. There was a point in time where my sister was the one to read bed time stories to me. Reading to me was like sports to the average boy. It was exciting and full of adventure. You never knew what was going to happen. That was just like my life; I never knew it was going to happen until it did.

At the age of five my parents started taking me to piano lessons with Mr. Lee. Mr. Lee was cold hearted but had a soft spot for me. The first time I pressed the key on the piano down, I fell in love. The sound was so pure and melodic. The first song I learned how to play was 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'. It was sloppy, but it still sounded happy and carefree. I would play short little songs on the piano my parents bought me for Christmas for my little sister. Every time I played a wrong note my sister only smiled and encouraged me to continue playing.

When I was seven Mr. Lee's wife died from cancer. I wasn't able to go to my beloved piano lessons for two months. During that time I took to books to relieve some of my misery. Books are a good way to escape pain. They allow you to travel into another world and become another person for a while. But in the end we always have to come back to reality.

When I went to my first piano lesson in months, I learned that not all music is happy.

I slowly peaked through the crack in the door that lead to the large grand piano. What I heard is something I will never forget. Even though Mr. Lee was silent I could still hear him wailing in agony and remorse. The melody was beautifully sad. I could see Mr. Lee and his wife walking down the aisle, their first kiss, their first child. Then all of it was replaced by tears and a whirlwind of angry emotions. As I listened I could hear the orchestra join in even though in that house was only Mr. Lee and I, but I could hear the violins soft crescendo as the music grew in intensity. These sounds stirred so many emotions in me and before I knew it my cheeks were streaked with salt water. For the first time I cried since my dog passed away when I was four. I didn't hold them back for they were not my tears. They were Mr. Lee's tears of joy from memories and tears of sadness from the loss of his best friend. This was Mr. Lee's way of letting out his pain of being alone. Of feeling betrayed because the one thing he loved was taken away from him. This music opened my eyes and ears and I didn't walk in to join Mr. Lee that day. Instead I just listened to him play heartbreaking melodies that brought tears to my eyes once again.

I left without even speaking to Mr. Lee, but I silently thanked him for giving the most important lesson in my life. He taught me that it is okay to be sad and that you don't always have to stay strong and hold back your tears. 

Even though I know its okay to need help at times I still don't ask for it because I want to be strong for my sister. When I need to cry I transfer it all into my music and let go. I cry tears of chromatics and harmonics. I never let them see my true tears of pain.

I never let anyone know how I feel. Even when the accident happened I still stayed strong.

When I was eleven and my sister was nine we were in a huge car crash with our mother and father. Out parents were arguing and my father didn't realize that he was in the wrong lane of traffic until it was too late. At that moment all I saw was white. 

When I came to, I was in a hospital bed and everything was dark. I later found out that we were in a head-on collision with a semi. The car rolled three times and I was the only one to make it out of the accident alive. I didn't cry when I found out that my little sister died; I held all of my tears inside. I lost the person that I couldn't live without. The doctor told me I was very lucky to be living, but I didn't think so. 

I later found out that my sister wasn't the only thing stolen from me but also my sight. It was a sad day for me but, I still didn't break down and cry on the outside even though I was crying on the inside. I now had to live with my uncle who was the owner of a large company so he had no time to spend with me. Also being a part of his family meant that I had to have bodyguards with me all the time and I had certain schedules to follow all the time.


XXXXXXXXXX

I am now sixteen and my life has changed a lot since the day of the accident. I haven't spoken to anyone besides my homeschool teacher. I haven't read a book or had a book read to me since the day I lost my sight. The only thing that hasn't changed are my piano lessons. I go to them every week and Mr. Lee helps my learn the music to the best of his abilities. He rewards me with a piece of candy every time I do well. That is quite hard to do when the person you are trying to teach can't see. I am very grateful to him though because he hasn't given up on me yet. Our lessons went well until one day he tells me that he has another student coming in. He rushed me so I kept making mistakes and he kept yelling at me. Eventually he sighed in frustration, threw the precious candy on the floor, and left the room. He has finally given up on me. I slowly got down on the ground to pick up the candy that is my reassurance that everything will be okay. I scoured the floor with my outstretched hands for the candy. Just as I was about to give up I heard soft footsteps coming toward me. I was terrified that it was Mr. Lee telling me get out. I was surprised when a hand grabbed mine and set the candy in my palm.

'Thank you' I said to the mystery person.

'You're welcome' a soft male voice replied. Then I could hear his soft footsteps receding as Mr. Lee called for me to go home. 


On the ride home all I could think of was the boy I had met today and how he was the first person who had helped me on their own will. 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I returned my lesson the next week and to no ones surprise Mr. Lee was still impatient with me. I was trying to learn a new song, but I kept hitting the wrong keys. Mr. Lee once again left me alone in the room. I tried and tried over and over again, but to no avail I still couldn't play the correct notes. It was like deja vu when I heard soft footsteps walk in my direction. I felt someone sit next to me on the piano bench. Then I heard the song I had been trying to learn the past hour played perfectly right in front of me. I closed my eyes to focus on the emotions of happiness behind the music. 

When he stopped playing I heard a rattling noise and I grew curious.

'What is that?' I asked.

'Candy.' he replied 'Say ahhh.'

I opened my mouth and said ahhhh and a piece of candy was placed in my mouth. I smiled at his kind gesture.

'What is your name?'

'Minseok. Whats yours?'

'Yoo Jung' I replied.

'Thats a nice name. Whenever you need help let me know. But for now I have to leave because Mr. lee is coming back.'

It felt like a huge weight had been lifted form my shoulders now that someone has spoken to me like a friend. For the first time it wasn't me offering the help to someone else, but me receiving it.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Minseok now made a habit of joining me in my lessons. I would even stay late just to talk to him after his lesson. He gave me his phone number one day and told me that he would call me later that night. I knew it was risky because my uncle didn't want me associating with anyone, but I didn't care because it had been so long since I had held a normal conversation with someone other than my bodyguard. 

Minseok stayed true to his promise and called me later that night. He surprised me by asking me if I wanted a story read to me. I agreed quickly and waited for him to find a book. 

I smiled in melancholy when I heard the first line of the book because it was Peter Pan. When he finished I said thank you and goodnight. I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep that night because my miserable memories were dredged up. To my surprise it was one of the best night sleeps I ever got because Minseok reminded me that I was not alone.

I kept staying longer at my piano lessons just to speak to Minseok and my uncle started to grow suspicious. I didn't let my uncles judging glare deter me from seeing Minseok because I had a soft spot for the boy.

After one of my lessons, in the beginning of Fall, Minseok brought me outside and sat me on a bench. He whispered three words to me that I will never forget. I reached out to touch his face and learn his features with my hands so that I will never forget them. Minseok grabbed my hand and pressed it to his chest over his heart. He grabbed my hand tighter almost as if he was in pain. Then I heard the familiar rattle of something that sounded like candy. Before I could ask him what it was, Minseok shouted in anger when he was pulled away from me. I reached my hands out to try and latch onto him but instead I tripped and fell into the grass. When my hands touch the ground I felt a little bottle which was the source of the rattle I heard earlier. I clutched it tightly to my chest and kept it with me.

Minseok hasn't shown up for my lessons in weeks now and its hard to continue without him by my side. I wander around my room aimlessly because I have nothing better to do. I used to talk to Minseok every night and he would read to me. I have tried calling him many time but he hasn't answered. I grow more and more worried each day.

I continue to go to my lessons in hope that one day he will show up again. It takes two months before I hear from him again. I was sitting on a couch waiting for Mr. lee to show up when I heard soft footsteps enter the room. My heartbeat quickened because I knew it was Minseok. I heard him move the bench and sit down. Then he started to play the song that he first taught me. The way he played was beautiful and happy but there was an underlying tone of sadness in it. It reminded me of the time I heard Mr. Lee play that sad melody after his wife died. It brought tears to my eyes and I smiled. Just as he was about to get to the of the song I heard a loud thud. Almost as if someone had hit multiple piano keys at once. I had froze and there was no air getting to my lungs until I heard the soft tune start again and I was able to breathe and smile again. I knew Minseok was alright because the music sounded happier than before. I could picture his soft face smiling as he finished the song and at that moment I closed my eyes and enjoyed the silence for once.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                                                         I didn't find out that he died from his heart disease until three years later. I never forgot him during that time, but I did allow myself to fall in love with someone just as kind as Minseok. His name was Kim Junmyeon. He was the class president for my first time going to a real High School. We were the same age, but I was a grade under him and he always made sure I felt accepted. He asked me out on a date and I said 'yes' immediately because I knew Minseok would want me to be happy. It was during that date that I got a phone call saying that Minseok had passed away. I was devastated, but Junmyeon was there to help me through it all. Minseok may have been my soul mate, but Junmyeon was going to be the one by my side forever. After five years of dating he asked me to marry him. I said 'yes' because he was one of the two men that loved me the way I was.