1 ~ Roof

I'd Lie

| Baekhyun |

A black leather bag hung on my left shoulder, my right hand placed on my left shoulder grabbing a hold of the strap. A black plain tie hung loosely and crookedly on my neck. Edges of my white ironed shirt were un-tucked and crumpled. For some odd reason the only thing that was neat and orderly was my black hair, it was odd because almost every day my hair would look like a complete mess and there was nothing I could do.

Manoeuvring around workers, sneaking into tight spaces only my thin body would fit. Breathing heavily, I stopped on my tracks and stood in front of silver doors, continuously pressing the already lit button. I smiled sheepishly at the workers behind me as they stared at me in question.

“Come on, come on,” I muttered under my breath, pressing the button faster.

As the silver doors opened, I hurriedly slid past the opening doors and pressed the button for the 32nd floor. The doors closed, my eyes wondered to the silver reflecting wall beside me noticing my disoriented appearance; a sour look appeared on my face. A soft sigh escaped my dry lips before reaching out and fixing my bed hair. Tucking in the white polo shirt; I just then realized that there were other passengers in the lift, I hurriedly bowed in apology. I sheepishly faced the front, my feet shifting to one foot to the other, glancing down at my watch the longer arrow pointing at 8 and the smaller arrow pointing at 7. Cursing under my breath “I’m late” I thought.

“Byun Baekhyun, do you know what time it is?” a very familiar voice boomed as I stepped in the room.

“Sorry Mr. Lee I got held up since I was stuck in a traffic jam,” I replied while I looked at my black shoes, not wanting to look at my boss’ angry face.

“I’ll let you go this once Mr. Byun since your still new, but next time i won’t go easy on you,” he warned, “Now get started with work.”

I nodded in response before heading towards an empty desk; I placed my leather bag underneath the wooden desk and sat on the black chair. I stared at the black computer screen in front of me for a few seconds before turning it on.

A few hours passed by in a flash before it was time to go home, gathering the scattered paperwork that I have to finish, and shoving it neatly on a plastic folder that I bought in the convenience store right in front of my apartment building.  Trudging my feet towards the lift; my shoulders hunched in stress. I pressed the button for the list, waiting for the silver doors to open; I hummed the song that I heard on the radio yesterday at the coffee shop. The doors opened; it was empty. “Great way to make me feel less lonely than I already am” I thought

I went to the edge of the lift and held onto the railing, I let out a deep sigh as my back touched the cold corner. I stared at the numbers before deciding to go to the rooftop. I didn’t know the exact valid reason on why I choose to go to the roof, maybe just to breathe for a while before I head back to finish what Mr. Lee assigned me to do.

I didn’t really care that much since I don’t have anything else to do at home. The lift came to a halt before opening its doors. The midnight sky was empty no star was to be seen, unlike the sky in the country side. The flashing lights from the buildings made it impossible to be dark. I breathed in the fresh air, my body relaxing instantly. I dropped my shoulder bag on the floor, leaning it next to the railing that was built to secure any comers to accidentally slip and fall off the building. I leaned my body on the steel railing, my arms folded and sat on top of the railings.

Closing my eyes as I carefully listened to the busy streets of Seoul. Maybe coming to this city wasn’t a terrible idea, my mom was wrong; I would never regret coming back to Korea.

“What are you doing in my roof,” A deep Seoul dialect voice called out.