One

Far From Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Kim, you've got your letters waiting for you at the box. Go take them before some lonely fool picks it up for his sake."

I chuckled at Sergeant Park's comment, getting up to collect my letters. It has been a while since she wrote to me. Almost close to a month... like, three weeks? Okay, I might sound obsessed, but what can I do? She makes me happy. She gives me courage. She offers me love, hope... everything that I need right now. 

It was almost two years ago since I enlisted. Two years ago that I was sent off to the border as a patrol guard. I must admit, I was horrified. I was horrified of fighting, protecting... of being here. This place, with all its honor comes with great danger and responsibility. And I knew that one mistake can send everyone spiraling down to darkness. I knew that if the time comes, I will have to fight; fight for my country and it's people, my parents, my friends, my fans... her. I will have to give up on my life so I could protect her. 

Everyday we hear countless threats and warnings sent to us. We are trained to be calm and to remain focused. We cannot expect anyone to panic or lose control. We have to charge forward, abandoning all reason. Without considering the option of our lives, we must give it all away. This place is hell.

But within all that hell, there is a little piece of heaven, too. Besides the training, I was able to spend time as I kept reading letters from all my dear ones. Fan gifts and mails were so much that I would hardly find time to actually write anyone back. But, no matter what, there was always this one person that I wrote back to. I always wrote back to her.

It was in February, 2016. We had a day off so my friend at the camp and I had decided to head to the town for a few drinks. Most of the others thought of heading back home but I didn't want to. I had enjoyed staying here and I felt like I could use that peace. I, along with my other friend hit the local bar. We ordered our drinks and were about to sit down when we heard someone hollering at my friend. We turned around to see a group of people waving him over. My friend, ran over to them, hollering back and I just followed him quietly. 

"Hyun Joong-ah! These are my friends! I had no idea they are here!" My friend introduced me to them excitedly and I simply flashed a courteous smile at them.

"Oh my god! This is Kim Hyun Joong! Yah! You are friends with him?! How?!" 

"He is so handsome! Even in such clothes!"

"Kim Hyun Joong is your friend?! How did you manage that, man!"

"OMG YOU'RE KIM HYUN JOONG!"

His friends threw comments and I stood there awkwardly. So much for using some peace. Don't get me wrong. I am grateful to it. But, I enjoyed my solitude and my identity as Kim Hyun Joong, a normal person, and not a celebrity. In the army I was that so I really enjoyed it. Now things are slightly... unusual.

"Hi"

I looked down to see her. The most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life. She had a shining bright eyes and a gorgeous smile. I felt my heart stop.

"I know, it's annoying. People keep on pointing out that you're Kim Hyun Joong when you clearly know that!" She giggled and I couldn't help but smile at her. She was even prettier when she laughed. 

"Have a seat." She offered, pointing at the empty chair beside her. I accepted as I sat down beside her.

My friend made himself busy with his group and some of them stared at me like I wasn't real. I tried to ignore them for the most part. I took a sip of my drink. 

"You're in the same camp as him?" She asked and I nodded. "We were in the same squad, too." I answered. 

"I have always wondered, what is it like there?" She asked, her eyes shining curiously. I shrugged and the next hour and a half went in talking about the army, my life, her life and just everything random. I never ran out of topics with her. She was casual, funny and just so approachable. We were so into each other that we hadn't even realized that it was time to go.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter