Substantial

Part of Your World

It had been a week since the attack on the castle. A week since he had been cast into the ocean and nearly drowned. A week since some people from his own country had tried to murder him. A week since a beautiful mermaid had saved his life. A week since everything seemed different

Nothing had changed. He was still a prince, still his father's only heir - his only family, his only pride and joy. He was still confined to the boundaries of his own kingdom - or more specifically, his own palace. He was still royalty, still either loved or hated by his subjects. People still wanted him dead or wanted him king. Guards and attendants still surrounded him. Yet, something was different.

He considered that it might have been from nearly dying, but he didn't think that was it. He didn't feel a new appreciation for his existence, for his privilege, or for his kingdom. Rather, he found a new curiosity. A new focus. A new fixation.

It was the mermaid.

She had been the first one he had ever seen. Up until that point, he wasn't even sure the merfolk existed. He had heard stories about them all his life, but he doubted they were true. He figured they were merely stories made up by lonely sailors to entertain themselves on their long voyages. He didn't think he'd ever see one, especially so close to the shore. So close to civilization.

The stories said mermaids were such wild creatures. Wild and dangerous. They said they lured sailors to their doom, that they drowned them and used them as sacrifices for their magic.

The one Jonghyun met certainly didn't look wild, and obviously wasn't intent on drowning him. Quite the opposite.

Whatever was truth, and whatever was hearsay, Jonghyun knew one thing was certain: he wanted to see that mermaid again.

He had not told anyone about his encounter. He merely told his attendant, who found him, that he had swam to the island himself. He kept the mermaid his own personal secret, which he kept even as he visited the shore day after day, going to the place where the island could be seen from the shore.

The island was in the rockier parts of the sea, surrounded by cliffs and boulders. It was the perfect place for a mermaid to hide, if she wanted to. He wondered if the mermaid had visited there before, if she made a habit out of spying on the humans. Or perhaps she was just passing by when she took pity on him. Maybe she had no intention of ever coming back. Maybe his impression on her wasn't as strong as her impression on him.

Either way, Jonghyun wanted to be sure. His attendants probably thought he was crazy, going back to that spot every day, but that didn't matter. He was able to avoid them long enough to sneak out and enjoy some peace and quiet, where the only thing to think about was the ocean smashing against the rocks. There, his problems seemed as insubstantial as when he had been sinking.

Hidden in a small crook on the shore, Jonghyun took a seat and stared out at the empty island. Disappointed at its emptiness, he picked up a stone from the shore and casually threw into the water. He watched it skip across the surface, before sinking at the base of the lonely isle. He skipped another stone and mundanely passed the time, figuring he would have to return to the castle empty-hearted once again.

But the stone skipped back to him, surprising him. He stared in confusion at the rock that came to stop between his feet on the seastrand.

He looked to the island, but still, no one was there.

He picked the rock up again and threw it back to the island, where it sank into the water. He waited, and sure enough, the rock came skipping back. He saw movement that time, behind the rock.

Jonghyun didn't hesitate. He kicked off his shoes, rid himself of his shirt and belt, then went into the water. He swam the distance to the small island, and upon coming there, slowly circled it. The creature who had been hiding from him came into view.

He had thought she was beautiful in the darkness; the mermaid was something else in the daylight. For a moment, he didn't move. He couldn't move. He just remained perched against the rock, staring. And the beautiful creature stared back, curious, wary. She was nervous about their encounter, he could tell. But she was there. She wanted to see him. That meant something.

"Hello," Jonghyun said, smiling, catching his breath from his swim.

The creature did not respond.

"I was hoping I'd see you again," he continued, "I wanted to say thank you."

She smiled softly.

"Do you understand me?" he asked.

She nodded.

"Good. Very good." He dared to move a little closer to her, and was relieved she did not pull away. "My name is Jonghyun. How about you? Do you have a name?"

She nodded slowly and answered, "Taemin." Her voice sounded strange, like she wasn't accustomed to speaking out of water.

"Taemin," Jonghyun repeated, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Taemin."

She smiled again, bashfully that time.

Jonghyun moved closer to the island and pulled himself up onto it. He sat on the edge with his feet hanging in the water and gestured to the rock beside him. He wanted her to come up with him. He wanted to see her outside of the water, like the first time.

Taemin was cautious, but she drew closer. She pulled herself up onto the island beside him, and Jonghyun got his first glimpse at her full glory.

The legends got one thing right: mermaids were beautiful. Stunningly so. From their facial structure to their skin.

Taemin was covered in gold scales, which glistened with water and reflected the sunlight. Her hair was long, well over her shoulders. The top half of her body was human, but still very different. Her chest was flat. Gills covered her ribs and over her neck. Her small fingers were webbed for swimming and a fin ran along her spine.

Her tail, more stunning than it all, was long and more vibrant in color than the rest of her. It sat in the water still, as if she was prepared to bolt at any moment.

He wondered if she was as fascinated with him as he was with her, if her people had legends about humans that were also wrong.

"So...you're a mermaid," Jonghyun said. He smiled again, still unable to believe it.

Taemin shook his head emphatically. "No...I'm a merman."

Jonghyun was dumbfounded. She was a he. A damn beautiful he.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he said. He was still smitten though. How could he not be? "I still can't believe this." He was unable to pull his eyes away; he continued to look over every inch of him. "You're beautiful." He just had to say it.

Taemin smiled and looked away awkwardly. "Thank you."

"I need to thank you. You saved my life."

He didn't say anything. He just continued to stare at him. Perhaps he was just as fascinated. A moment passed of neither of them saying anything, of both of them just taking in each other's differences.

Jonghyun found himself reaching out to him. Taemin looked to the hand he held toward his face. "I'm sorry, I'm just curious," Jonghyun explained.

Taemin didn't pull away as he touched him, as his fingers ran along the smooth surface of his scales. In fact, he seemed to nuzzle into his touch, as if he found the feel of human skin just as fascinating.

Perhaps the mer-people did have magic powers, because at that moment, Jonghyun forgot everything. He cared about nothing. His only concern was the beautiful creature before him, and spending every second with him that he could.