Chapter 10 - Bad News

Loving The Real You

 

~~~~~

 

“Wait, so you’re telling me that you and Minho are together? Not just the fake engagement, but actually in love?”

Taemin nodded nervously, trying to gauge Key’s reaction, but the older boy only looked shocked. He was waiting for Key to tell him how disgusting it was, because that seemed to be what people thought of homouality in this world. Not that some people didn’t think that in his world, but being gay seemed to be something that just didn’t occur here, or at least something people didn’t think occurred…

“You’re not…you’re not disgusted with me, are you?” Taemin asked hesitantly, looking down at his lap and waiting for Key to yell at him. Key was the only person he trusted to tell, because out of all the people who knew his real gender, he wasn’t too sure who would be accepting of this. It had been a few weeks since he had confessed to Minho, and he had to tell someone.

Taemin definitely didn’t expect Key too laugh, but that’s exactly what the boy was doing. He watched with wide eyes as Key doubled over with laughter. “Oh Taeminnie...you’re really clueless, aren’t you?”

“Wh-What? No!”

“I could never be disgusted with you because of something like that, I’d be quite the hypocrite if I did…”

Taemin still stared at him silently, confusion etched in his features. “Huh?”

“Do you honestly think I would be spending so much time with Jonghyun if he were just my friend?” Key raised an eyebrow, and realization finally dawned on Taemin. He blushed, feeling somewhat stupid, but also surprised by the news. “O-Oh…”

“But Taemin, just…be careful, alright?” Key glanced at him anxiously. “Jonghyun and I are lucky that no one has found out about us, because I can only guess what would be done to us if someone did. It wouldn’t turn out well…” Taemin shivered at the severity in Key’s tone.

“Just make sure no one finds out your gender, alright? Well, I suppose that was important from the beginning, but you must be even more careful now, do you understand?” Taemin nodded, letting Key’s words sink in. He never really thought about what would happen if his gender was exposed…and now that he had, it was a very scary thought.

“And Tae, what about going back home? Are you really going to be able leave Minho after he becomes King?”

This was something Taemin had already thought about countless times in the past few weeks. The thought had tortured him slowly; he just…didn’t know what to do.

“I...I love Minho, but…I have to go home. I just don’t belong here.” Taemin shook his head, trying to rid his mind of the tempting thoughts of staying in this world, of staying with Minho.

Key sighed. “I suppose it is your choice…”

Taemin leaned forward, elbow on his knees and his face resting in his palms. “Yea…,” he said absentmindedly.

“I just have one more question.”

“Hmm?”

“Did you guys do it?”

“Key!” Taemin threw a pillow at the older boy, growing red in the face.

 

 

~~~~~

 

“Tae, wake up.”

“H-Huh?” Taemin lifted his head slowly, eyes glazed over with sleep. He blinked a few times, trying to wake himself fully, before looking down. He was shocked to realize he had fallen asleep, not only on Minho’s chest, but completely on top of him. Their legs were tangled and hips dangerously close. His arms were wrapped around the Princes torso tightly. Minho’s body felt solid but comforting under his own, and he could feel the heat radiating off his skin through their robes.

They had been relaxing in their ‘secret place’ in the garden, and he didn’t even remember falling asleep, but apparently, he had. 

“Ah, I’m sorry, I must be heavy.” Taemin tried to lift himself but Minho placed a hand on his waist, holding him there.

“Not at all, it was very comfortable,” Minho smiled as his fingers brushed along the boy’s side, tickling him softly.

Taemin shivered at the touch. “S-Sorry for falling asleep. Weren’t you bored?”

“No, you’re quite the cute sleeper,” Minho chuckled. “I was playing with your hair also,” he said, taking a strand between his fingers. “I couldn’t resist.”

Taemin’s cheeks darkened. “Stupid Prince,” he mumbled as he tried to fight a smile.

Minho grinned, “What would you like to do today, pretty Princess?” Taemin pouted and whacked him in the chest. He only laughed loudly, his deep voice echoing throughout the garden. “Alright, alright, I’ll stop!”

“Really though, your little tactic with Atelia seems to have worked. The King gave in, and he sent some supplies to us a few days ago as a peace offering. We’ve gone to pick them up and offer some of our own. Things have settled down a bit, so we have the whole day to ourselves.”

“Hmmm…” Taemin had trouble thinking of anything. He had seen the whole palace, and his favorite place was definitely the garden, but they spent most of their time there already. Maybe…

“Could we maybe…go out of the palace, into town?”

Minho blinked, looking at him curiously. “Well…”

“Pleeeaaase, Minho?  It could benefit you too! A good King should always know the needs of the common people.” Taemin rested his chin on the older boy’s chest, pouting lips and puppy-dog eyes on full effect.

Minho laughed and placing a palm on his cheek, brushing his hair away and running his fingers through the soft strands. “You know no can resist that face, you’re so manipulative.”

Taemin grinned, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You know I would do anything for you, Tae. But how do you expect a Prince and his fiancé to walk into town surrounded by guards, and go unnoticed?”

Taemin lifted himself from Minho’s chest and straddled him, placing both of hands on the ground by the Princes face as he knelt down. “The big bad Prince has never snuck out before?”

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

“Waaah! Look at all the food!”

Minho chuckled at the younger boy’s excitement, enjoying the way his blue eyes sparkled as he took in his surroundings.

They stood in the middle of the market in town, people bustling pasted them, donned in long robes that draped over their heads. Minho didn’t want to take any chances (although he didn’t think people would actually recognize him), so he was sure to have some kind of coverage for Taemin and himself, just in case. Taemin protested when he draped the cloth over his head, but he had convinced the boy that it was better to be safe than sorry.

“Tae, we can spend all day here if you want,” Taemin nodded excitedly, still eyeing all the food stands. “Just make sure you stay close to me, don’t run-“

“Alright, alright! Let’s go!” Taemin grabbed his hand and pulled him to the meat stand he had been drooling over.

He had never guessed that this scrawny boy could eat so much.

It was endearing, really, watching Taemin eat and smile and point to everything in his excitement. Minho didn’t regret accepting him one bit.

It was difficult in the beginning, coming to terms with his feelings, but the moment he did, he was as happy as he had ever been. The past few weeks with Taemin had been the best time of his life.

He loved Taemin. He loved the way Taemin could be shy one moment, cheeks a rosy pink, and feisty the next. He loved Taemin’s unique beauty; he could stare into the boy’s eyes for hours. He loved the way Taemin would continue to surprise him, whether it be with his talent in dancing or his intelligence. He loved the way Taemin had such a childish innocence about him, but he’d have those moments…those moments when he would say things that made him seem wise beyond his years.

Minho wasn’t sure what he was going to do when Taemin left. He usually tried to avoid thinking about…

“Minho, where are we going?”

“Just one moment, let me look at these quickly,” Minho pulled him over to a stand full of weapons that had immediately caught his eye. As he was absorbed in observing two swords he was trying to choose between, he could feel Taemin fidgeting impatiently next to him.

He wasn’t sure when Taemin’s hand slipped from his own, but when he turned around, the boy was gone.

“!” He mumbled under his breath.

His eyes darted around the market quickly, searching for any sign of the younger boy. He could hear his heart pounding in his ears as he pushed through the crowd of people. He knew it was foolish to get so worked up, but he couldn’t seem to control himself. What if Taemin got lost and…and someone took him, hurt him? Taemin had no idea how dangerous his Minho’s world could really be. Minho didn’t even want to think about what could be happening to him…

He knew he was overreacting, but it didn’t matter to him now. The only thing that mattered was finding Taemin.

He continued to run through the market, earning strange looks from people. He stopped abruptly when he heard a muffled scream. He whipped his head around, searching for the source of the noise. When he heard another strangled whimper, his eyes quickly landed on an alleyway close by.

When he turned the corner, he stopped, the sight in front of him making the blood rush to his head.

Taemin’s eyes were wide with terror, a man’s hand covering his mouth and a knife being held to his throat. Minho could see Taemin trying to kick the man in the shins, struggling as much as he could, but it only seemed to make things worse. The knife nicked at the skin on his neck and he whimpered, his struggles coming to a stop.

Minho reached inside his robes and pulled his sword from its sheath. “I’m only going to tell you this once,” he growled, pointing his sword at the man. “Release her. Now.”

The man stood still for a moment, and Minho could practically see the gears turning in his head. He finally made a move, throwing Taemin to the ground harshly and sheathing a dagger, only to pull out his own sword.

Minho moved quickly, sword moving skillfully as he attacked the man. The first swipe left a gash on left arm, and Minho knew right then that this would be too easy.

But he let his worry get the better of him, and glanced down at Taemin. The man took advantage of his diverted attention and moved forward to strike him. Minho managed to avoid most of the blow, and the sword only grazed his side. He winced, but recovered quickly to knock the man’s sword from his hand.

The man looked up at him with wide eyes, and took off running.

“Coward,” Minho mumbled as he watched the man clutching his injured arm as he ran.

 “Minho, are- are you alright?” The sound of Taemin’s soft, trembling voice made his anger diminish. He turned around and dropped to his knees in front of the boy, letting out a sigh. He pulled Taemin into his arms, taking in the sweet scent of his skin and tangling his fingers in the boy’s hair. “I’m fine, I just- you…are you alright?” He asked, pulling back to take Taemin’s face in his hands, searching for any kind of injury. “Did he hurt you?”

“No, no, you got here at the perfect time,” he closed his eyes, relishing the warmth of Minho’s hand his cheek. His hand was trembling as he reached up to place it over Minho’s. “But-but you’re hurt. Your side- he cut you, didn’t he?”

Minho glanced down at his side and saw a bit of blood staining his shirt. “It’s just a shallow cut, I’ll be fine.”

“Wh-Who was he?”

Minho reached behind him to grab the man’s sword, but he knew what he would see before he even looked. “It has the royal crest,” he brushed his hand over the symbol engraved on the handle. “It was the Queen.”

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

When they made it back to the castle, Taemin was nagging him to immediately find a doctor and take care of his wound, no matter how shallow Minho claimed it to be. But before they could even make it to the physician, Jonghyun spotted them and his eyes widened comically.

“Where have you two been?! Do you have any idea what’s been going on?” Jonghyun yelled as he ran to them.  Minho and Taemin glanced at each other curiously and both shook their heads.

“Jonghyun, what is it? What’s happened?”

“The soldiers from Atelia that delivered the supplies were killed, and their King believes that our soldiers are the culprits. He thinks we deceived him…he has declared war on us.”

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

A/N: I couldn't think of a name for the neighboring country so I just made up a random one, I have no idea where Atelia came from lol