i'm a genie for your wish

If you were mine...

 

Hyukjae was aware of her dilemma. “Don’t worry. I love driving at night and I actually want something in return too!”

“What?”

 

 

“Well.. Donghae used to bring back all these cupcakes home very weekend after visiting you guys and I guess I got used to eating them everyday but now that the bakery is closed down for the month, I am really suffering from cravings! So... if you pay me in baked goodies, then we’re even!”

Hyoyeon stared at him curiously for a moment and then burst out laughing.

Hyukjae’s cheeks were flushed with a pink tint, “It’s really childish, I know. Even Donghae makes fun of my baby’s taste… and being made fun of by Donghae the manchild, for being a baby is… pretty much the lowest you could go.”

“I think it’s kind of adorable.” She giggled, smiling eyes and all.

 

The ride to her house was a chatty enjoyable time for both. Unlike the previous night, there was no sense of danger weighing down the air. Soon, the formalities dropped by the wayside as well and by the end of the trip, the two were bickering over radio stations.

 

“Ohh it’s IU’s marshmallow, leave it on!”

“Seriously?”

“Marshmallow mallang mallang mallang mallang hae,” he sang along shamelessly, shaking his shoulders in an aegyo dance.

Hyoyeon pursed her lips and as the song came to an end (along with his dorky seat-dance) commented, “Ah so you’re one of those.”

“What does that mean?” he turned the volume lower now that the song had switched.

“Nothing samchon,” she stuck her tongue out at him. “Cutesy little girls are your type. Got it!”

“Aniya… I like that song because it’s about marshmallows, cookies and jelly! I told you about my sweet tooth!”

“Uh huh, yes, that’s totally convincing,” Hyoyeon was mid laughter when her eyes brightened up and she started clapping excitedly.

 

 

“Ommo it’s 2PM!” She put the speakers on full blast. “Yeah Put your Hands Up, Put your Hands Up, put, put, put, put, put….”

“Oh so you’re one of those!” Hyukjae yelled over the thumping bass but she was far too engrossed in the song to hear him. He watched in amusement as she continued to bounce in her seat like they were at a live concert.

 

Then, just as Ok Taecyeon’s rap part was starting, she lowered the volume and turned to him, "Oppa mideodo dweji, OK?" (and with a Sohee wink too!)

 

“Oppa?” he repeated softly unable to keep his gums from revealing themselves in a bashful smile. ‘Cute!’

=========================================================

 

When the song finally ended, Hyukjae repeated his earlier comment, “So you’re one of those!”

“Eh?”

“You like beastly idols.”

“No,” she answered quickly. “Not just beastly idols, I like all kinds of beastly guys… you know beastly police officers, beastly office-workers, beastly waiters, beastly students, beastly army men..”

“Ya you’re really shameless!” he laughed as she continued to rattle off her list.

“I have no reason to hide or make excuses about my fangirling!”

“Ya I am not a fanboy! I just really like my sweets.” Then as an afterthought, he added, “Also, you didn’t mention dancers in the list. Should I be offended?”

 

“Oh but I did that on purpose,” she smiled sweetly, “I didn’t want you to feel bad since you know, you’re not beastly and all.”

“Mwoh! This girl! Now I finally understand what Donghae was talking about when he said that you’re a devilish prankster! How come I am only seeing this side of you now?”

“Because I feel comfortable with you now” she replied honestly.

 

Taking his eyes off the road for a second he observed her fully. The shy awkward Hyoyeon (that he now realized - appeared during vulnerable moments) was back again and Hyukjae gave a simple nod, “Me too!”, before tearing his gaze away.

 

 

“Thanks for the ride!” Hyoyeon smiled while getting out of the car.

“Thanks in advance for the cupcakes,” came his cheeky reply.  

“Drive safe! Good night.”

 ========================================================

The following night:

“WOW!” Hyukjae’s eyes were wide as saucers when his eyes feasted on the box that Hyoyeon delivered to him at the end of class. As usual they were the only two left behind and no noisy Sooyoung either.

Hyukjae was completely silent – mesmerized by the delectable assortment of rainbow colored cupcakes – swirls of cotton candy pink covered with sprinkles of white chocolate, fluffy yellow meringue adorned with toffee flakes, white airy cloud-like frosting dressed with crumbled pecans, exquisitely dark chocolate drizzled with caramel… he his lips unconsciously, hands wringing tightly together – it looked like the biggest decision of his life.

Hyoyeon giggled. “Just pick any one! I made two of each and they’re in this second box.” She had even made a batch for Sooyoung only to realize belatedly that the talker girl’s classes were now held in the morning session.

‘I miss that adorable giant,’ Hyoyeon thought wistfully, making a mental note to ask her out for coffee and deliver the cakes.

 

“This is like heaven in a mouthful! Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.” She turned to find Hyukjae breathing in the aroma of the pink velour with cream cheese frosting.

“You haven’t even tried it yet!”

 

As they drove home that night, Hyukjae hummed in complete and utter satisfaction.

“Thanks again! But next time you don’t have to whip up two dozens! It must be time consuming.”

“I enjoy it.”

“My pot belly does too!” They both laughed.

********************************************************************************

A/N.more fluff-ay hyohyuk. if it seems boring because i'm spending a lot of time on the little moments, sorry. i want to show the connection between them so shippers of both hyohyuk and hyohae are satisfied/understand when they develop feelings for each other. opps i revealed it didn't I?devil but the path all this was leading too is obvious. HOWEVER it's not guaranteed that they are end-game. i have to give donghae a fighting chance so it's not over for hyohae yet. in fact, it hasn't even begun so stay tuned to find out!

Donghae Nemo is still swimming the pacific as of this upate but i will check in with him the next chapter.

thanks for your comments and love