FINALE

Missing

I step off the train
I'm walking down your street again
And past your door
But you don't live there anymore

It's years since you've been there
Now you've disappeared somewhere
Like outer space
You've found some better place

And I miss you
Like the deserts miss the rain

Could you be dead?
You always were two steps ahead
Of everyone
We'd walk behind while you would run

I look up at your house
And I can almost hear you shout
Down to me
Where I always used to be

And I miss you -
Like the deserts miss the rain

Back on the train
I ask why did I come again
Can I confess
I've been hanging around your old address?

And the years have proved
To offer nothing since you moved
You're long gone
But I can't move on

And I miss you -
Like the deserts miss the rain

I step off the train
I'm walking down your street again
And past your door
I guess you don't live there anymore

It's years since you've been there
Now you've disappeared somewhere
Like outer space
You've found some better place

And I miss you -
Like the deserts miss the rain

And I miss you -
Like the deserts miss the rain (deserts miss the rain)

-

She hid her sadness behind that cheery smile.

She smiled for the camera and performed her heart out.

The fans deserved better.

And she knew she couldn’t let them down despite whatever she felt inside.

-

“This week KBS’s winner is SNSD, LION HEART!”

Everybody jumped with glee.

Finally, the hard efforts paid off.

Well, for her group members and herself of course.

So many reasons to be rejoiced and happy but she couldn’t feel it sincerely.

She’s thankful for her fans.

But she could be even more thankful if they were complete.

-

She finally had some time alone.

The well-deserved break came after a month of promotion.

She’s glad she could have that free time so she decided to head somewhere familiar.

A familiar place that she has not been for the last one year.

-

 

It took an hour and half to get to the place she intended to visit. Although she was plagued with mixed feelings, she kept a positive mind. It wouldn’t hurt to visit, right? So she assured herself that she would be fine and pressed on.

Pressing on her accelerator as the car moved on a high speed, she took the time to reminisce about the past. Sometimes it drove her mad that she couldn’t salvage the situation and sometimes it pushed her to regrets because she let go of someone special in her life.

It wasn’t her fault to begin with and she was powerless despite the strong friendship she shared with that certain someone. She missed having that person in her arms; she missed the way she teased that someone and of course, missed having that personal time with that person.

Tears welled up in her eyes but she was determined not to cry. She had enough of tears and it has been almost a year. She didn’t want to think about it anymore.

Sadly, her heart misses more.

After an hour and half of drive, she finally reached her destination. The engine was off and she cautiously got out from her car. She wore black shades to hide her tired eyes; a hoodie over her head and the jacket zipped up to her neck. She took a deep breath before stuffing her hands into the pockets of her jeans.

She took one step at a time; though it was heavy and cautious; she hoped that this walk would bring back many memories for her. She walked down that familiar straight; passing through many high-rise apartments.

She smiled as every corner of the street reminded her of that someone. And that the same small bistro at the end of the street was still bustling with people – she used to have brunch with that particular person. She would drive from her house just to visit that special someone.

After she crossed the last traffic light, her movement ceased. She stopped in front of a tall-rise apartment. It looked classy and expensive. Well, it costs almost $1million odd for just one apartment. The familiar surroundings and the well-paved road were still the same.  She looked up at a one particular floor.

A heart wept silently. Tears were threatening to fall. She pulled up the mask over as she tried to muffle her sobs.

“It still hurts.”

She mumbled. She thought she could make it.

“Why does it hurt still? What’s wrong with you, Im Yoona?”

She looked up into the sky to stop the tears from falling.

“Here I am again, unnie. But you’re no longer here anymore.”

She wiped her tears away. She felt like a fool. But she wasn’t going to blame that special someone. She whipped out her phone and her fingers skilfully danced on the surface. She thought about it for the longest time.

She had enough.

She couldn’t handle this anymore.

She needed to vent her frustration somehow.

“Jessica unnie, I’m standing in front of your apartment now. And you don’t stay here anymore. You’re hiding from me; from us. And I know you’re still hurt too. But unnie, I’m hurting too. There were just too many memories between us.  I could almost hear your voice screaming from your apartment when you saw my message.  And I would be standing here; waited for 10-15 minutes before you appear through the sliding door. I didn’t know I would miss this. And I had never imagined that I wished it so badly now – that you would appear in front of me through that same door once more.”

She paused before she continued typing her message.

“And I miss you – like the desert miss the rain.”

She sent without hesitation.

-

“Im Yoona, what are you doing here?”

Tiffany opened the front door of their dorm. Yoona didn’t head back to her place. She went to the dorm. She needed company.

“Can I stay overnight here?”

“Sure, why not?”

“Is it okay if I bunk in with you, unnie?”

Tiffany wasn’t surprised. She nodded without saying anything. She put her arm around her dongsaeng as they made their way to Tiffany’s room. Yoona sat on Tiffany’s bed; pulling the bolster to her chest.

Tiffany looked on with concern. She knew where her dongsaeng had gone to earlier on.

“Is she there?”

Yoona shook her head.

“Did you knock on her door?”

“I couldn’t do so. She’s not in Korea anyway.”

“Oh yeah, that’s right.”

The two went silent.  Tiffany stood up and sat next to Yoona.  She hugged the latter tightly.

“I’m sorry.”

Yoona shook her head.

“Don’t give up, Yoona.”

The girl nodded.

“I’m sure Jessica will forgive us. Well at least she will forgive you.”

Yoona kept quiet. She wasn’t too sure of that either. And Tiffany knew it was enough for her. She didn’t want to say anything further.

“Go and wash up. I’ll prepare your sleeping area.”

Tiffany got up and left the room. Yoona sat there, unmoved.  Suddenly a phone beeped. She absently-minded took out her phone from her jeans. She didn’t expect anything. It could be her manager sending message for their schedule tomorrow.

But it wasn’t.

She sat there; her arms shook.

A familiar name was in her inbox.

It was just a simple message.

But it was enough for Yoona.

“Im Yoona, I miss you too.”

-