Final.

Through a Camera
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Please listen while you read: Wait by B1A4

Namjoon woke up to a string of texts from his buddy, Jung Hoseok, asking to meet up for lunch at a newly opened café near the latter’s house. Namjoon typed a short reply confirming the time and location of the café before getting up to take a shower. It was still pretty early in the morning, and he didn’t have any other plans for the day so he settled for a cup of instant noodles for breakfast while watching television on the couch. He knows it’s not healthy, but he doesn’t have much else laying around for him to make a meal with. Not that he knows how to cook anyway.

There wasn’t anything interesting on, but Namjoon left the TV on just for the background noise so that apartment wouldn’t be so empty. It was winter break for him, but instead of returning home, he decided to stay in the area so he could hang out with Hoseok and Yoongi, better known as the squad. It’s not as if his parents really wanted him home anyways.

Normally, Yoongi and Hoseok would crash at his place and they would spend the night “partying” which usually included a dozen cans of soda and an extensive rap battle that would last until dawn. Last night, however, was an exception. Yoongi had been called home for a family dinner while Hoseok left early to spend time with his boyfriend, Park Jimin. The result was a lonely Namjoon.

But all was good; the three of them would meet up and hang out today. Namjoon smiled dumbly at the TV that was still on. As cheesy as it may sound, those two boys were like brothers to him and cared for him like no one else did. He was more than grateful for their friendship.

When Namjoon arrived at the café, he found that he was 20 minutes early. The other two had not yet arrived, so he picked a round table by the window and took a seat facing the entrance. The café had a very vintage feel with tall bookshelves covering the walls and jazzy piano music. In the bookshelves were collections of items that ranged from coffee cups to classic novels. The menus were written with white chalk on blackboards hanging on the pillars next to the ordering counters.

As Namjoon admired the decorations, a boy dressed in a grey vested suit over a white collared shirt, black tie, and matching trousers approached the former.

“Welcome to BigHit Café! What can I get for you today?” the boy smiled politely, his hands tucked behind his back.

“Uhh, it’s my first time here. What would you recommend?” Namjoon looked up at the boy and mentally read his name tag: Jungkook.

“How ‘bout our Flat White Latte? It’s similar to a cappuccino, but uses microfoam rather than dry foam. It’s best served hot,” Jungkook replied thoughtfully.

“Alright, I’ll have one Flat White Latte then. Thank you,” Namjoon nods approvingly as Jungkook flashes another smile and heads back to the counter area. Just then, a handsome duo walks through the door. The boy with caramel brown hair was wearing a dark blue plaid jacket over a white v-neck and black skinny jeans. The other, with bright orange hair, sported a grey Hollister hoodie, navy blue jeans, and a green beanie. They were definitely difficult to miss in the scenery of the café. Namjoon found himself unable to look away, particularly away from the boy in the dark blue plaid.

“Kookie!! Check out who’s here!”

“Tae? Oh my gosh, and Jin-hyung?” Jungkook came rushing out from behind the counter. The three boys embraced and shared relaxed laughs. “What are you two doing here?”

“Hyung and I came to judge your café, duhh!”

“What, wait really? That means BigHit Café will get a lot more exposure!” Jungkook beamed.

“Yeah, anything for my dear dongsaeng. I’m really proud of you, you know, for opening up this shop,” the one in the blue jacket chuckled and patted Jungkook’s shoulder. Namjoon sat up a little straighter in his chair, because damn that boy’s voice was like honey.

“Thank you so much Jin-hyung!”

This ‘Jin-hyung’ – Namjoon noted – smiled softly at the younger and proceeded to take a seat on the other side of the room with the other boy, which Namjoon assumed was ‘Tae’. The distance between the duo’s table and Namjoon’s were far apart, but just close enough for Namjoon to catch the majority of what the two were saying. Then again, the café wasn’t particularly busy, so the room was pretty quiet.

“Give us your best treats,” Jin said while gesturing to the menus. Jungkook gave him a thumbs up and hurried back to the counter. Jin turned back to other boy and smiled the cutest half smile in existence (in Namjoon’s opinion) and asked, “Taehyung, can you get the camera ready? I’m more than ready to start this.”

“It’s ready in a push of a button, hyung!” Taehyung lifted a small black video camera and showed it to Jin.

Namjoon didn’t realize he was staring until a cup of Flat White Latte was placed in front of him. He stuttered a quiet ‘thank you’ and pulled out his phone, pretending to be occupied. A couple of minutes later, Namjoon saw Jungkook bring a tray of three desserts and two beverages to Jin and Taehyung’s table. Taehyung, who was sitting across from Jin, opened up the camera and pressed the ‘record’ button.

“Hello everyone! Jin here with…”

“V!!” Taehyung completed excitedly.

“Tae! Greet the viewers properly, will you?” Jin scolded. Following his command, Taehyung got up from his seat and moved to stand next to Jin so that they were both facing the camera.

“Hiii!! V here!” he waved excitedly and turned to smile at Jin before returning to his seat.

“Today, we have another episode of café review! V and I are here at BigHit Café – which just opened a couple of weeks ago – and the owner is V’s cousin, Kookie monster,” Jin spoke to his imaginary audience as Taehyung steadied the camera first on Jin and then on Jungkook.

“Hi there, my name is Jungkook, please come visit me! I’m very lonely here…” the boy shot puppy eyes at the camera and laughed.

“Without further ado, I will begin with this cake-like dessert called Lemon Delight, which as you might have already guessed, is lemon flavored!” Jin then picked up a fork with delicate fingers, scooped up a small chunk of the dessert and took a bite. The fork slid out from between Jin’s plump lips as he chewed quietly, giving the cake all of his attention. “Ohh! Even though the Lemon Delight is a very common type of lemon cake, this one is very well made. With just the right amount of grinded almonds sprinkled on top of the cream and the thin layer of crunchy cookie mixture on the bottom, this cake practically tastes like heaven! Also, the scent of lemon is strong, but when you actually take a bite, the taste of honey slowly melts onto your tongue. There is a very nice balance of sweet and sour.” Jin took another bite and moaned. “This is sooo good!!”

Namjoon nearly choked on his Flat White Latte. Jin then reached for one of the beverages and started talking about the drink. This continued for a few more minutes, and for those few minutes, Namjoon continued to stare. Then, much to Namjoon’s disappointment, Yoongi, Hoseok and Jimin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter