Lucky Night

The Front Man

A/N: Please don't ask me to write a sequel or turn this into a chaptered fic because I can only see this going angsty if I continue. orz


 

Conference. Seunghyun hated conferences; meeting all kinds of people from other divisions and branches, sitting in the audience or paneling a discussion, having to put up an approachable friendly personality when all he wanted to do was sit alone, preferably on his hotel's room balcony, overlooking the ocean, sip on some wine and marvel at the moon.

But he was not gonna lie; being away from the office for a few days gave him a little space to breathe and to clear up his mind. Although his mind kept reminding him the pile that would be waiting on his desk when he would return on Monday, Seunghyun kept telling himself back, let's worry about that on Monday.

So, here he was, at the hotel's pristine ballroom, having dinner at a round table with his colleagues and acquaintances. He had been here for three days, since Thursday, and Seunghyun couldn't be more grateful with the fact that tonight was the closing night which meant the atmosphere was lighter than the nights before; less business talks, more informal conversations. Seunghyun caught up with a few friends he befriended from years ago when they first started together. But now they were all scattered across the country as heads of their respective divisions, like himself.

And also, he appreciated the impressive banquet. He would have also given some credits to the dinner's organizing committee if it didn't bore him with a typical lucky draw event that went annoyingly draggy. And he would've even forgiven that if he had gotten the 50 inch flat screen instead of a toaster.

The dinner ended soon enough and Seunghyun and his friends decided to take the "party" to the bar downstairs.

"I heard there's a band performing tonight." Said one of his friends as they rode the elevator down to the floor where the bar was.

"Nice. It's been ages since I went to a live performance." Eight years to be exact, when he was still in college.

True enough, they were greeted by the thumps of drums and bass when the elevator door opened. The friends walked in and the bar was packed. But lucky for them there was a vacant table in a corner, just a few feet away from the stage. They settled in their seats and Seunghyun ordered the first round.

"Just like old times!" A friend shouted over the loud music.

"Yep, Saturday night is get wasted night!" Another one added and laughter roared around the table.

Seunghyun shook his head. "Now, not anymore. Saturday night is sleep night for me."

The other two friends sighed in agreement. "Yeah, same here," one of the friends said, leaning back a little to let the waiter place down their drinks onto the table. "We're getting old, man."

"Hey, stop complaining. You guys are not married with kids." The other one added.

They laughed again. And Seunghyun was about to add something else when the band started to play a familiar song and his other friend almost jumped in his seat in excitement.

"Hey, this is the band who sang that song!" He hiked a thumb towards the stage, eyes widened towards Seunghyun and the other friend. "Remember that Summer break? Before graduation?" He was now snapping his fingers in front of his friends.

Of course Seunghyun remembered. Summer of 2008. They decided to spend a week in Busan; three guys, a beach and lotsa parties. The song that his friend just mentioned came out just before that and became their own Summer anthem. Now, all the memories came back and the three friends couldn't help going down memory lane and recollect the dumb things they did during that Summer break.

"I'm gonna ask if they take requests." The friend stood up and walked over to a guy standing by the stage who Seunghyun assumed was the manager. He watched as his friends talked to the guy and couldn't believe that they got a nod.

Only then that Seunghyun glanced at the band on the stage. He wasn't paying attention before and he was now regretting it when the front man caught his eyes. Silver hair; damped and disheveled. Loose, white tee; drenched in sweat with its short sleeves pulled up his shoulders. Tattoos; quirky words and symbols on his arms. Lean legs; firmly clad in black denim, ripped in all the right places.

Seunghyun cleared his throat and gulped to distract himself from the distraction. But his eyes had a mind of their own. They glanced back up to the man's face and Seunghyun felt a harsh pang to his heart. It was suddenly hard for him to breathe, like he had the wind knocked out of him. The man was staring back with a little smirk etched on his lips. Seunghyun couldn't look away as the man introduced the next song and dedicated it to their table.

Only when the man casually looked away as he started singing that Seunghyun snapped out of his trance. When his friends called him out for spacing out, he shrugged it off with a lame excuse that the song really reminded him of the old days.

Seunghyun congratulated himself in his head as he managed to keep calm and restrained himself from staring at the man; although he did chance a few glances and shuddered at the image he was presented with. The man was sensual while performing and gave out such strong aura that Seunghyun was afraid to acknowledge. He remembered the song, he remembered the band. But he didn't remember the front man was this enticing.

Seunghyun distracted himself with conversations with his friends for the rest of the night. They felt that it was over too soon but it was already half past midnight when they decided to return to their rooms. Even the band was already done for half an hour.

Seunghyun was fumbling with his access card in one hand, and the toaster in another, at his door when he heard footsteps in the hallway and they stopped a few doors down. It was him. Seunghyun paused and glanced at the man and out of instinct, the man also paused and glanced back. They both stood there in silent for a few moments. Then the man turned to face Seunghyun, leaning the side of his body against the door frame. The hallway was dead silent.

"Hey." He boldly greeted Seunghyun.

Seunghyun was flustered but composed himself to mirror the man's pose. "Hey."

"Are you following me?" It may have sounded like an accusation, an insult, but the mischievous smirk brushed it off.

Seunghyun scoffed. "I was here first."

The man squinted. "You were at the bar just now, weren't you."

"Maybe."

"Uhuh." The man smirk at Seunghyun's try at being a tease. He folded his arms. "Making some toasts?" He canted his chin, gesturing to the box Seunghyun was holding, decorated with a fancy ribbon.

Seunghyun emitted a soft chuckle. "This? Lucky draw."

"Lucky night?"

"I'd like to think so."

The man looked amused with Seunghyun's world play. And Seunghyun swore he noticed a glint of bashfulness in the man's demeanor despite his bold attitude.

"You're famous, arent you?" Seunghyun broke the silent that almost turned awkward.

The man huffed a small laugh. "Maybe." He threw Seunghyun's tease back at him.

Seunghyun shook his head in amusement. "I've seen you on TV a few times."

"Oh, have you?"

"And posters. Somewhere. Everywhere."

The man chuckled. "Well then," he cocked his head, "are you a fan?"

"Depends."

The man quirked an eyebrow; smirking, a way of asking SH "depends on what?".

"Will you give me an autograph if I say I am?"

The man peeled off from the door frame. He stared right back into Seunghyun's eyes. "Do you have a pen in your room?"

"The hotel's." Seunghyun swiped his access card and opened the door. "And I also have wine."

The man his lips and bit down on his lower lip. He pulled the door to his room closed and slid his own access card into his jacket and walked over to Seunghyun.

"Wine, huh?" He said as he stopped right in front of Seunghyun.

"The finest." Seunghyun pushed his door opened wider.

"The name's Jiyong." He swayed into Seunghyun's space a little as he introduced himself in a whisper.

Seunghyun indulged the tease he was receiving from Jiyong and deliberately leaned close to Jiyong's ear. "I know. I'm a fan, remember?" Then pulled away and offered his hand. "Seunghyun."

Jiyong welcomed the hand into a handshake. "Well Seunghyun. We dont have all night do we?"

Seunghyun ushered Jiyong in. "Maybe we do."

 

=======

 

PS: Again, happy birthday, Arwa! <3
PSS: Wrong. Saturday night is not get-wasted night or sleep night. Saturday night is laundry night. (give a shoutout if you get this reference ^^)